Kindle Forum banner

DX First Impressions - Review

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  angelad 
#1 ·
First Impressions

Wow! There is no need for a bunch of fancy words, 'Wow' accomplishes the goal. Give everyone you love a Kindle. Give everyone you hate a Kindle with How Not To Be Hated (or a real book that you think they need) pre-loaded. I do have some negative things to say, but know this: on a scale of one to ten, the DX (the device) gets an easy 9.8.

Delivery - My Kindle DX arrived safely within the time promised by Amazon and with no discernable damage. I was surprised and disappointed that Amazon did not pack the DX in a larger box and provide some bubble wrap or air bags - it was like getting a hardcover book with a shipping label on it and no box. If you experienced a delivery and packaging issue like I've described, please, for the love of Kindle, voice your feedback loudly and often to Amazon CS!

Interior Packaging - My guess is an entire team of professional graphic artists spent what had to be a lot of time designing the packaging. I felt like I was opening a huge chocolate bar. The matte background with the embossed and glossy letter patterns is very attractive and the introduction pamphlet with the crisp white letters and fan folded design, the clear plastic insert to protect the screen, the User Guide pre-loaded on the Kindle with prompts to immediately begin reading.. all very well done.

First use - The dozens of books I pre-purchased over the past week, instantly loaded on my DX with no problem. I get good Whispernet coverage. I have not needed to refer to the User Guide. The menus are well done and easy to use. I've purchased a book using Whispernet, tried the text to speech (surprisingly good! - nearly as good as the prohibitively expensive speech system I have on Linux), applied the font hack (it is so nice to be able to read any book I want in large print!), played an MP3 (the speakers are surprisingly good for the size and adequate for listening to music or audio books), and generally tried all the major features with a big grin on my face the whole time. I love it!

Other Kindle Board members have provided excellent reviews of the DX with awesome pictures, so I'll skip all the details. 9.8 out of 10 is my DX score - Amazon lost .2 points because the font size of the dictionary at the bottom of the screen can not be modified.

I love it!

See less See more
#17 ·
TechBotBoy said:
Brilliant, thanks very much Scott -- When might we hear your concerns on the product?

-- Tbb
we have been asking the same thing for a while

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.