by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7762

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Are you an author? Add yourself to our KB AUTHORS PAGE!  (Read 313788 times)  

Offline swolf

• View Profile
Re: The Official List of KB Author Sales Milestones
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
Great idea, but I'm getting a headache just thinking about looking at those Smashwords sales reports.

Offline swolf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Would we have to list pen names separately, or combine them under one name?

My vote is for combining.  All of my pen names are a sum total of my efforts.

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
Thank you all for the helpful responses!  

Sounds like honor system is the only way to go. I would like to dissuade that very small minority of authors who might try to game the list by overstating their sales... but don't know how to do that. Perhaps the suggestion about having them provide their story about how they got to that milestone might be enough.

I think we have a consensus that it should be total sales from all outlets.
And, the milestones would pertain to *all* books from that author; e.g. combined sales.
The milestone would be lifetime milestones (i.e not yearly sales totals)

Most people seem to prefer it be indie-only. My own preference is that it include any author who is a registered KB member. Probably more discussion is needed on this point.

The milestone number should *not* include freebies.

- Add to the number of milestone levels - I think this could be done although if the number is low, like 10, I think it would be administratively onerous to keep the list current. But maybe we could add a few levels, like:

- Badges - I like that idea! I can play with a few designs and post them here for your review.

- As authors move from one milestone to the next, they would be deleted from the lower level list and added to the higher.

- Need to think about how to make it efficient for authors to report their milestones. Maybe a reply to this thread is all that is needed, for starters, with:
  * author name (and include pen names)  * total ebooks sold
  * date first ebook was sold
  * number of distinct titles
  * approx breakdown by outlet (Amazon, BN, Kobo, Apple, etc) if available
  * your story - a few words about how you reached that milestone

Thanks for the great ideas; please keep them coming and we'll get this implemented.
Some of us are WAY lazy, Harvey, so I suggest not forcing me to give a breakdown. I would have to go back to dig that up and simply wouldn't do it. I doubt I'm the only one.  ;)

I'm doing well to know my total; in fact at the moment, I don't.  ::)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
Would we have to list pen names separately, or combine them under one name?

My vote is for combining.  All of my pen names are a sum total of my efforts.

I agree; one author could combine results from multiple pen names into one total.
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
Some of us are WAY lazy, Harvey, so I suggest not forcing me to give a breakdown. I would have to go back to dig that up and simply wouldn't do it. I doubt I'm the only one.  ;)

I'm doing well to know my total; in fact at the moment, I don't.  ::)

I agree.

Another interesting piece of info might be genre(s).

But I think this needs to be very administratively easy for authors to submit, so we shouldn't ask for much info.

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »
I like the idea of a larger spread of numbers, starting at 1,000. (So its an achievable goal. Mainly because I still haven't published anything yet. Soon! I swear!)

Honour system: Yes.

Also agree with the breakdown of how many titles. Purely out of interest to see a relationship to number of titles sold against number of books for sale. I may be wrong (still early into the self publishing thing) but I imagine there would a more books = high sales correlation (not as a rule, but generally speaking)

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 06:35:19 PM »
Do it! And put a little cake or something next to the user name at certain milestones. :) it'd b cool to see it at a glance in the forum.

Hmm.... neat idea, Holly. Maybe for version 1.1...!

Offline scribblr

• U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
(I do agree it's meaningful economically!)

IMHO, it's far more important than that. It speaks of author ability to establish a viable fanbase and develop credibility as a real author. Anyone can sell ten thousand copies of thirty-page poke and stroke books at 99 cents. Selling ten thousand full length novels at $9.99 is major accomplishment. If you ignore the size of the books, and the cost per, the sales numbers are virtually meaningless.

Online CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
Love this idea! I agree with those who suggested the honour system. Screen shots of all the different dashboards will be a pain. I think putting in the number of titles and genres would be great too.

I can't wait to see the list!
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
Reader/long time member here...

Is this something for authors to look at?  In other words, just to celebrate growth and progress?

Or is it something for readers to consider?  Or both?

If it's something readers might be interested in, as one of those readers, I'd vote for KB authors whether trad or indie or hybrid.  (Which would Hugh fall under?  Bella Andre?)  To me, the qualifier should be KB author.

And again, if it's something for readers to consider when looking for authors, I'd vote for not so many divisions and to not start too low.  Harvey, you first described it as "KB Best Selling Authors" not "KB Authors by sales rank."  As for badges, JRT, you wouldn't HAVE to use them.  ;)

I think the honor system would work pretty well.  Based on what I've seen here the last five years, anyone inflating their sales would probably be called out pretty quickly.  The members here seem to be able to tell pretty well based on sales rank what the sales probably are.  (Granted, authors who have a lot of pen names and a lot of books would be harder to judge, but it seems to me their peers know who they are.)

Just some random thoughts.  I do like the idea of celebrating our members who have success...as we try to do when announcing the Kindle Daily Deals...

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Texas (east and west)
    • View Profile
    • Joe Nobody Books
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
While I'm always happy to participate in the "sales" threads, I always feel like part of my accomplishment is left out of the equation.

For example, my 11,000 books in May ranked on 55th on Soph's list, yet I was the only person on the list selling books at $9.99.

I'm not saying it's "bad" or less of an accomplishment to sell 100,000 at .99 versus my 10K at 9.99 - I don't think the "bias" should go either direction.

Offline Kay Bratt

• www.kaybratt.com
    • View Profile
    • www.kaybratt.com
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
*Big reminder that we are almost into July and I have no idea of my sales for the year.

Even so, it sounds like another great idea, Harvey.

:)

Kay Bratt, Capturing the Heart of Humanity | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
Very good questions, Betsy.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Fferyllt

• Fferyllt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »

- Need to think about how to make it efficient for authors to report their milestones. Maybe a reply to this thread is all that is needed, for starters, with:
  * author name (and include pen names)  * total ebooks sold
  * date first ebook was sold
  * number of distinct titles
  * approx breakdown by outlet (Amazon, BN, Kobo, Apple, etc) if available
  * your story - a few words about how you reached that milestone

This is a great idea--agree with total lifetime sales; paid only; date of first book published; number of titles; all pen names included; lump all outlets together; badges OK but no real opinion on that; honor system; personal story in brief.

I am closing in on publishing so I wouldn't even rank at beginner status. My interest is really to see how many people (in general, bcz not everyone will participate) are selling a lot of books--maybe enough to make a fulltime living at it. So, a very low threshold for sales isn't very useful info from that perspective. I would like to know genres, though. Perhaps, reporting genres would give a clue about probable lengths and price strategy. It would be very cool to know numbers sold at what price point but there are all kinds of reasons why that would be cumbersome to report and it would never be up-to-date.

Doing the work to put this together may reveal some interesting things about the vitality of the indie publishing community that are just piecemeal data and guesstimates now. Looking forward to seeing it happen.

Offline jenminkman

• The Hague, the Netherlands
  • USAT bestselling author of YA fiction from Holland
    • View Profile
    • Dutch YA author Jen Minkman
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 02:34:28 AM »
Great idea! I recently hit the 1,000 milestone when I published my second book (it's true; somehow it really helps with sales if you have more out there than just one title!). Question: do we count borrowed books (KOLL) on Kindle as sales too?

Jen Minkman | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 03:04:21 AM »
Great idea  ;D.
I think it's a long stretch between 10 000 and 50 000 and agree that a 25 000 milestone should be included (nothing to do with me having just passed that post  ;) )
The number of books is also important.
Although the price point is important for income, I think the number of readers is equally important. Personally, I'd rather have more readers  :).

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline KellyHarper

• View Profile
    • Kelly Harper's Blog
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 04:35:16 AM »
Where will this list be maintained? I think that will help you answer who the intended audience is. (I view the "Writer's Cafe" to be for writers... not readers...)

I think that any authors with publishing deals should, essentially, have an asterisk denoting such. Nothing too specific, just something that indicates to the other writers that "Hey, this guy has some sort of publishing deal."

I'd also angle for a bit more of a breakdown...

1k, 5k, 10k, 25k, 50k, 100k, 250k, 500k, 1M

I'd even be a fan of 500, but it may not hold up to a cost/benefit discussion.

Kelly Harper | facebook | goodreads

Offline Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 05:13:42 AM »
When it comes to whether to include trad sales as well as indie - personally I vote for KB members.  If you do decide to make it indie/small pub based - then it's worth speaking to Julie, because she's already gone through the deliberations on what does/doesn't count as indie for her ebook awards.

One way to handle the sales/revenue issue - is to make the bands dual purpose - e.g. "1,000 sales or $2,000 in royalties" (that royalty figure is pulled out of the air - but I'm sure that someone could figure out a fair equivalent for each sales milestone.)  :)

I'd suggest covering all the other stuff, like how long someone has been publishing, number of titles/pen-names, etc. under a text field where the author can add the details that they are happy to share.  You could give a list of suggested things to mention - but leave it up to them whether they want to give that info.

Offline Joseph Turkot

• New Jersey
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »
If this goes the way of badges, I produced some concept ideas in Photoshop this morning. Of course, these would be a lot smaller.

Joseph A. Turkot | Facebook | Mailing List & Website

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »
More categories at lower numbers as notes
Indies only
PAID only
I would like to see it divided by book price, too. I agree that it is a lot easier to achieve some milestones at .99 but that doesn't necessarily mean you are earning a living. For instance, I would have to sell 11 at .99 to make the same money I make for one $4.99 sale. So, if I sell 20,000 at $4.99 that's a lot bigger accomplishment. In fact, 11 times bigger. $6,600 in royalies at .99 but $70,00 at $4.99. A huge difference. One you can live on, the other you can't.

Or, it it's too complicated to divide by bookprice, at least indicate what price the books were sold at the majority of the time. That gives us some valuable information. Maybe so and so sold 10 times more...but isn't making as much money, etc. For some of us we won't care about the money. Some of us, though, do want to make a living and it helps to see how many actually do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:03:59 AM by Caddy »
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »
Do it! And put a little cake or something next to the user name at certain milestones. :) it'd b cool to see it at a glance in the forum.

I love this idea!

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »
I think it's important to keep the list manageable for the KB admins. I suspect a breakdown by price would make it somewhat messy and hard to keep track of.

And if we're talking lifetime sales, I suspect there is going to be a huge number at the 1000 books mark. And that's a great thing, just something to think about for how much effort will be needed to maintain the lists.

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »
I can see how this could turn into a massive undertaking. I love the idea, but it is going to be hard to include all the requested information. I think if people want to see price and genre, they can check for themselves.

However, when everyone has had a say, perhaps a poll asking for the top five things each would like to see included. Maybe simplicity is better in the long run.

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
  • It's my book! I do what I want!
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I just want to suggest something to help you manage the data....

Google docs.  You can make a form for people to fill in and it will dynamically add the data to a spreadsheet that you can work with online or download to Excel.  I know you have assistants in your business here, so it might be helpful to have something that can be group-accessed.  It's great because it can be manipulated like an Excel sheet, with sorting, averaging, graphs, charts, blah, blah, awesomeness, blah.

Here's an example of the type of form you can make.  Recently sophrosyne did one as well to track monthly indie sales too.  I use this resource for doing my massive indie book giveaways too. 

http://ellecasey.com/book-bloggers/

Offline Rykymus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:28 AM »
I vote digital self-pub sales only. Although we discuss all aspects of self publishing, this is "kboards" (the focus is on the "k").

I also vote nothing more than the lifetime sales. Your name and your lifetime sales when you hit a mark on the salesometer.

The name of the thread is the "Sales Milestones", not the "Complete Statistical Representation of Self-Published Authors by Price, Genre, Pen Names, and Vendor." (Or the CSRSPAPGPNV)

The purpose is to combine milestones into one inspirational thread. Anything more will make it an administrative nightmare, and will contribute to comparisons with one another, which is never healthy.

Just my 2 cents.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac