Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you an author? Add yourself to our KB AUTHORS PAGE!

429K views 627 replies 385 participants last post by  Writer Afloat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit: Locking this thread, as this feature stopped working long ago. - Becca

Update! Authors can now add themselves to our KB Authors page, regardless of your current sales level.

Go to to see a list of KB authors, sorted by estimated sales.

Near the top, there's a link for you to add your own sales data. Each author can only add/edit his own sales data.

For those of you who use pen names, or who have author names different from your KB names, there is a place for you to list up to five of those.

Please give it a go and let me know your feedback. Thanks!

Help!

Over the years, we've had several fascinating threads showing KB authors who have reached sales milestones (e.g. this outdated list of authors selling 50,000 books or more, and Hugh's thread about authors paying the bills through their book sales, to name just a couple.

We would like to create an official KB list of best-selling authors, which lists KB authors based on sales milestones. This would be something we would maintain in this forum, and post periodically in our blog. I expect it could get a fair bit of publicity if it's done right.

I envision this as a listing of authors who have reached the various sales levels of:

Some questions, though...

1. How would we make this a reliable (i.e. verifiable) source of info? Ask for screenshots of Amazon KDP sales data?

2. How to handle factoring in sales from BN, Kobo, Smashwords, Apple, etc? Or should it be based just on Kindle sales?

3. Indie (self--pub) only? Indie and small-pub? Or any authors of e-books, whether they're indie, small-pub or big-pub?

4. Include freebies or only paid books in the milestone thresholds?

5. Any other thoughts/ideas? Is this an achievable idea?

See less See more
#177 ·
Absolutely fabulous Harvey.  One thing I would like to see is a "author type" with three choices:

Self-published
Traditional
Hybrid

I'm starting to think that hybrid is going to be they way many people go either by traditionally published people self-publishing to get the better ebook royalties, or self-published authors being picked up.  I know people can put that in their comments area but I would be fascinated to know the overall makeup of the authors reporting and will suspect that the majority of the top earners will be Hybrid.

#178 ·
Harvey said:
Jeff had a good suggestion, that some authors might want to link to the table with it just showing their author info.

You can now do that, as long as you know your member ID. (See below if you want to know it.)

Then, you can add your member ID to this link (replace the "XXX" with your member ID):

http://kboards.com/authors/?author=XXX

~~~~
To see your Member ID, hover over your name where it is displayed beside one of your forum posts. You'll see something like: http://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=profile;u=38952
The group of digits following "u=" is your member ID.
What am I doing wrong - if I hover over my name it just says 'view the profile of.'?

Thanks so much for adding the 25 000 milestone :). This will be a good link to send to all the self-publishing doubters. ;D

#184 ·
Susan Alison said:
Am relieved it's not just me, Jan...
Hmm. I thought that worked for everyone.

Another way to get your member number is to click on the little green square next to "On Line" and read the value of your user number in your browser's navigation window:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=XXXX

In the above address, u= your member number.

#185 ·
Michael_J_Sullivan said:
Absolutely fabulous Harvey. One thing I would like to see is a "author type" with three choices:

Self-published
Traditional
Hybrid

I'm starting to think that hybrid is going to be they way many people go either by traditionally published people self-publishing to get the better ebook royalties, or self-published authors being picked up. I know people can put that in their comments area but I would be fascinated to know the overall makeup of the authors reporting and will suspect that the majority of the top earners will be Hybrid.
I think we all need to conform to the same standard:

*Sales figures are provided by the author, and include only paid e-book sales. Free e-books are not included. Any author registered on KBoards.com is able to update his or her sales totals in the table.
Otherwise, the comparisons between those who report all sales and those who report only e-book sales are invalid.

#187 ·
Thank you, Jeff! I have it now - via the little green square...

Jeff said:
Hmm. I thought that worked for everyone.

Another way to get your member number is to click on the little green square next to "On Line" and read the value of your user number in your browser's navigation window:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=XXXX

In the above address, u= your member number.

#193 ·
I am bewildered. When I try to enter my info, I get a ! pointing to no field in particular and telling me to enter a number. What number, where? I seem to have filled in all the fields *scratches heads*.

ETA: It seems to be highlighting the "estimated sales" field. But I have already filled in that field. What more does it want?

#195 ·
It wants a number without any letters, commas, spaces or decimals.
Yes, apparently it does. I must be having problems with my brain, eyes, or all of the above tonight, because I did not see that information anywhere on the page or in the ?. And somehow I couldn't reason that out on my own *laughs at self*. But you're right, and it worked. Thanks. :)

#196 ·
MegHarris said:
Yes, apparently it does. I must be having problems with my brain, eyes, or all of the above tonight, because I did not see that information anywhere on the page or in the ?. And somehow I couldn't reason that out on my own *laughs at self*. But you're right, and it worked. Thanks. :)
I'm sure Harvey will edit the help popup when he sees this.

#197 ·
Mr. RAD said:
I've been browsing this distinguished list and must say I'm proud of the success KBers are having. Two that stand out to me are Maya Cross (who happened to sell over 80,000 books since late March of this year (that's, what, like 3 months)) and Joshua Dalzelle (who happened to sell nearly 15,000 books since January of this year). Both have done extremely well with only two books to their names. :eek:

Whatever juice those two are taking, I'd sure like to get some so I can beef up my book sales and join this list. Are they bottling it and selling it yet? Or must you capture a mountain goat in its natural habitat and prepare a sacrifice?
It's a goat a day actually. Hard work, but I think it's worth it =)

But seriously, I have very little explanation. I got some help when B&N included me in an email at one point, but the bulk of my sales just seem to be organic. I actually feel pretty guilty about it, because I clearly don't deserve the numbers any more than anyone else here. Plenty of people do all the things I did with regards to covers/blurbs/blog tours, and don't have those kind of figures. It boggles my mind. There really is a certain sense of lottery about the whole thing.

#198 ·
Maya Cross said:
It's a goat a day actually. Hard work, but I think it's worth it =)
A goat a day, eh? Hm, perhaps I should look into raising my own in the backyard. It may be cheaper to do that rather than buy goats.

But what color are these goats you're offering to the Zon? Are they black or white? And what type are they? I ask these questions because sacrificing the wrong kind and/or color could be disastrous. :D

#199 ·
Entered my info.  Whew, that's the first time I took the time to total it all up.

One thing I found weird with the list, is that it asked me to enter my pen names separately, but then combined them into one link that leads to one of the Amazon author pages.  It would be nice if each name linked to the proper author page.

But that's just a picky complaint.  Nice job, Harvey.  Thanks for doing this.

#200 ·
MegHarris said:
I am bewildered. When I try to enter my info, I get a ! pointing to no field in particular and telling me to enter a number. What number, where? I seem to have filled in all the fields *scratches heads*.

ETA: It seems to be highlighting the "estimated sales" field. But I have already filled in that field. What more does it want?
Hmm, I'm having trouble re-creating that error. If you enter a number, even with commas, the form should strip those out.

Where is the "!" appearing? Is there an error message? Thanks for helping me track it down.

#201 ·
swolf said:
Entered my info. Whew, that's the first time I took the time to total it all up.

On thing I found weird with the list, is that it asked me to enter my pen names separately, but then combined them into one link that leads to one of the Amazon author pages. It would be nice if each name linked to the proper author page.

But that's just a picky complaint. Nice job, Harvey. Thanks for doing this.
Ah, I hadn't considered that... that each pen name would have its own Amazon author page - which of course would normally be the case.

Will have to think about adding multiple author page links into the form...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.