Author Topic: Ever feel like you're wasting a lot of time??  (Read 8053 times)  

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
  • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
Ever feel like you're wasting a lot of time??
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:53:30 AM »
I know this journey I started a few years ago isn't a race and doesn't have a finish line, but it seems more and more I am struggling to shake off that feeling that I'm just wasting a lot of time. Oddly, I never feel that way when I'm actually writing; it is all the other work involved in trying to get visibility. As a writer, maybe it is time to rethink what my goals are.

Offline davidhaynes

• Derby. UK
    • View Profile
    • David Haynes Horror Writer
Re: Ever feel like you're wasting a lot of time??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:28:37 AM »
Me too Brian.

I spend far too much time worrying about my (lack of) visibility and wondering if I'm doing enough. Invariably the answer is 'no' which sends me into a whirl of time wasting searching for promotion tools/ sites and all that business.

I keep coming back to  advice I read on here.
"Write, write some more, then write again."

it's simple but the right advice I think. At least until your fingers are covered in callouses and hurt like hell from typing.

David Haynes | Blog | Twitter | Web Site

Offline David Adams

• Canberra, Australia
  • David Dalglish's Kobold Minion
    • View Profile
    • The Lacunaverse
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »
Most of the time I alternate between "I'm so terrible and awful and everything I do is bad!" and "I'm the 27th best author to ever liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

I know your pain! :D
Lacuna series novels:Fantasy:Bad fanfiction:Par. Romance:
Lacuna series updates: http://www.facebook.com/lacunaverse

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »
Maybe you could try changing your blurb and your cover art. That's what I have learned to do when a book appears to be stalling. What do you have to lose?

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »
Most of the time I alternate between "I'm so terrible and awful and everything I do is bad!" and "I'm the 27th best author to ever liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

I know your pain! :D

27th?? I'd go a bit higher. ;D

BTW, I picked up New Fleece you got some skills!! Having read the book description, the peek inside was a pleasant surprise, so I picked up a copy.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »
You always should consider the options.

Are you wasting time?

Well, what else would you do with your time? Write a symphony? Build a better mousetrap? Complete your tea cosy collection? Worse yet, take up quilting?

Stop listening to your inner schoolmaster!

Whatever you do - always remember that life is made for farting around.

(I think it was Vonnegut who said that first)

I write because it's fun. I like to make money so that I can have more time to write. That's the sole purpose. I want to make my life comfortable enough to allow me to continue writing.

It ain't no sin if it gives you a grin.

Offline FrankZubek

• Ohio
  • frank.zubek@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Boards Book Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:02:45 AM »
OMG Brian I'd give a lot to be in your position
A few of my own books ( well, novellas actually) down there in my signature are contemporary fiction too which seems to me to be a tough genre to sell these days

But from a glance at your amazon pages....An Order of Coffee and Tears AND Superman's Cape look like they are doing quite well with an overwhelming number of great reviews!

Maybe yeah, read the blurbs aloud to yourself and to friends and see if you can tweak them a little bit and make them a little more interesting ( then again with the large number of super reviews you already have I don't understand why the blurbs need tweaking- could be you need to do a few week marketing push. After all today alone over fifty brand new ebooks will enter the market and you have to compete for eyeball traffic with them)

Both of their covers look okay except I would think - and this sounds silly among us writers behind the scenes as we slap our heads and ask...."is THAT the reason they aren't buying the book?" but I would think making Coffee and Tears into a COLOR cover-- keep the same woman holding a cup of coffee but making it in color and having the title cover more of the top half of the cover might make it more attractive

Also- if its your sales that have lagged a bit on these two books I would suggest dipping a toe into Select and make them both free for a three day period for some exposure

And then drop the price a buck. I'm sorry to say that that's the one sticking point for me from buying Coffee- while it looks very interesting I'm personally pretty broke and watching my pennies ( almost literally these days) and if it were 2.99 I's consider reading it

And don't believe me..... a good number of readers out there ( who can be potential customers) take this point pretty seriously
Sometimes a buck is the diff. between sales and no sales

Also consider a campaign on face book as well as blitzing twitter with a direct link to the amazon page using creative hashtags like #mustread #womensfiction #womenread etc etc

Listen--   while you have good reviews and interesting plots-- you need to keep thumping the media to remind people the books are available ( even world famous McDonalds is on the air every week pushing product)

And really..... drop the price a dollar and see if your sales don't improve a bit. (But that's just my opinion). Good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:08:51 AM by FrankZubek »

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Ty Johnston
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07:48 AM »
... "I'm the 27th best author to ever liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

Wow. You're right behind me. I'm No. 26.  ;D

Ty Johnston | blog

Offline ChrisWard

• View Profile
    • A Million Miles from Anywhere
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:26:24 AM »
I gave up writing guest blogs because it was a massive waste of time. Now I spent most of my time writing with a little bit maintaining my social presence while advertising on paid sites.

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
I gave up writing guest blogs because it was a massive waste of time. Now I spent most of my time writing with a little bit maintaining my social presence while advertising on paid sites.

I think that is the right direction.

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:46:21 AM »
You always should consider the options.

Are you wasting time?

Well, what else would you do with your time? Write a symphony? Build a better mousetrap? Complete your tea cosy collection? Worse yet, take up quilting?

Stop listening to your inner schoolmaster!

Whatever you do - always remember that life is made for farting around.

(I think it was Vonnegut who said that first)

I write because it's fun. I like to make money so that I can have more time to write. That's the sole purpose. I want to make my life comfortable enough to allow me to continue writing.

It ain't no sin if it gives you a grin.

Steve, you are my hero today. I needed this!

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline Ashy

• North AL
  • Creative Cyclone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »
8 - 10 hours everyday at my "real job"...   :(

Offline markobeezy

• DFW, Texas, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
I didn't truly start writing until I was 24 so I think I'll be set by the time I'm 30...Maybe all this independent author stuff is a waste of time, but I have time to waste  ;D
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.  ~Dr. Anton Chekhov
Medicine is my lawful wife and literature is my mistress. ~Dr. Anton Chekhov

Offline KerryT2012

• Madrid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »
All the time, even before I started writing! >:(

Offline Error404

• Wherever the inspiration leads
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »

Ditto for me.  I wasn't a fan of social media, and I used up too many creative juices trying to keep up with blogging/twitter/facebook.  That sucked time from writing that I just couldn't make back, so I just do the marketing when I see a slow down and get back to the ol' keyboard :D

Offline arielellens

• View Profile
    • www.ArielEllens.wordpress.com
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »

That's where I'm heading... what 'paid sites' do you like best? (Get best results from?)

Offline KeithAllen

• No, I was not in Trainspotting.
    • View Profile
    • Keith Allen
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
8 - 10 hours everyday at my "real job"...   :(

Agreed...  What is that? Oh, its just my soul being sucked into a beige cube wall.

Keith Allen | website

Offline Soothesayer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
I know this journey I started a few years ago isn't a race and doesn't have a finish line, but it seems more and more I am struggling to shake off that feeling that I'm just wasting a lot of time. Oddly, I never feel that way when I'm actually writing; it is all the other work involved in trying to get visibility. As a writer, maybe it is time to rethink what my goals are.

You say you started a few years ago, yet I only see THREE books at your site. Is that correct? So, one book a year?

At this rate, it will be a few more years before you see significant returns, methinks. With all the amazon algo changes, you need ten novels (NOVELS) to make a living from this. I think the best course of action would be to release at least FOUR novels per year, minimum. Not just one.

By Dec I will have released nine novels since January. Do I expect a fortune? No, but certainly it will be something to live on. Small chunks at a time. One novel per year is not going to do it.

Offline Joe Vasicek

• Anywhere but Earth
  • May all your dreams come true, save one
    • View Profile
    • One Thousand and One Parsecs
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
You mean when I'm on KBoards?   :D  :D  :D

This comment deserves a gold star. ;D

Online Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
You mean when I'm on KBoards?   :D  :D  :D

Offline EC Sheedy

• BC, Canada
  • "Words are Deeds." Wittgenstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
This comment deserves a gold star. ;D

Agree.  ;D

And this one needs to be taken to heart--thanks Steve Vernon: Whatever you do - always remember that life is made for farting around.

"We don't need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don'ts: we need books, time, and silence.
Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever."   ― Philip Pullman

Offline Victoria J

• The swamps of Old Venus
  • Fighting procrastination! Well, sometimes. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
I waste lots of time on the internet, either just reading random stuff or trying to figure out how to get more visibility, like most indie authors. I think I've finally settled on a few things that are working for me but things seem so slow.  :(  I think the best thing I've found is just write the next book. Problem is, once I've just released one, I don't feel like writing for a great, long while.

Sometimes I just want to horse around.  8)

Offline LoriCook

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
I think its substantially a waste of time for most people, including me.

I have been traditionally published several times.

Trad publishing has always been a ridiculous lottery; if you were with a major house (hence in book stores and getting basic press etc) you were in a lottery of a few hundred per genre per season, talent aside.

Indie publishing means there are literally hundreds of thousands of books, many with great covers, in your lottery, talent aside. And the indie/ebook cake is still considerably smaller.

So now you have to pay $$$ to Bookbub to advertise that your book is FREE and hope against hope that itll be one of the few that actually makes back significantly more that the ad cost.

Then you wring your hands and hope that the reviews you get will help build your platform. Then you get a fresh cover and tweak your blurb. Then its suddenly next year and youre still dreaming that somehow youre gonna break through.

And on it goes, fuelled by stories of Hugh and other outliers. Just as happens in trad publishing, but with the difference that at least you have an advance, and editor and some sense of achievement/purpose/possibility...

Its the Klondike over again; and we all remember who made most money there, right?*

* Hey, I think Ill sell pick axes/write a book about how successful ebook publishing!

Sorry to be downbeat, but Ive just about had it with KBers and their irrepressible optimism in the face of reality.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:37:04 AM by LoriCook »

Offline Ashy

• North AL
  • Creative Cyclone
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
Agreed...  What is that? Oh, its just my soul being sucked into a beige cube wall.

Hey...that's a pretty good idea for a novel... ;)

A whole corporation slurping soul energy from their employees 8 hours a day.... Hurm....  8)

Offline Ashy

• North AL
  • Creative Cyclone
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:41:16 AM »
Me too. I think of the thousands of words I could be writing instead. But here's how I deal with it: Every day that really sucks at the "real job" motivates me to work as hard as I can to write when I get home. I settled into a 1K per day minimum word count. Sometimes I write more. And on the weekend I write at least 5 hours on one of the days. My "real job" motivates me to write more than anything else in my life.

Yea, I know what you mean. I'm trying hard to do the same, but with a house, wife, 5 kids...it's tough to find the time/energy.