Kindle Forum banner

The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread

286K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  HobieYak 
#1 ·
Fellow Aussies,  you know what I find to be the *worst* aspect of living in Australia?  The fact that the UK/US markets and people are all sleeping and quiet when we're awake and ready to roll.

Honestly, it gets depressing for me during that midday~8pm time slot when things are simply too quiet and all you seem to be able to do is twiddle your thumbs, waiting.

I thought I'd try start an Aussie/Australian writer thread because I see there's plenty of other good-morning, good-evening and such threads for the UK/US populations, but I feel we're a little too dispersed at the moment ourselves.

G
#4 ·
Howdy - A proud Aussie here  8)

Even more lonely than the writer's forums, is if you write for the Australian Drama category. I have one book, 1,035,719 in paid store but it's still ranked #99 in that category. Even just one sale and I'm in the top 20! That's about as niche as it gets ;)

#8 ·
Great thread  :D  But come on Nicole, the absolute worst thing about living in Australia is being paid by cheque! Not only is it slow and cumbersome but the bloody banks take their $10 or so cut of your money.  And the teller looks at you like "ah, cheques, my grandfather told me about them..."  Hopefully one day we'll either be paid electronically or my cheques will be so huge that $10 will seem like nothing.

Anyway, I'm from Melbourne.  Where is everyone else from?

#9 ·
Aaaah yes, the cursed cheque from Amazon, really now, for a business that leads the world on internet shopping they're profoundly backward in paying out writers across borders :(

I think we lost about $35 on the previous one we cashed.  I wish there was a way to simply tell Amazon to hold the cheque until it breaks at least $1000.

Not too cold here in this rural zone, could do with some rain though ( all us rural people want rain! )

#12 ·
Welcome BigHoneyDog,

I'm not a big dog person, but I love the kitties on your page - so sad though about Lemon getting sick due to the PetHotel thing, but Museli looks delightful :)

Oh yes, and welcome to the thread :) :) :)

Good luck with the release in September.  I have to admit, I've given up on doing big releases or even scheduling them, soooo lazy of me, I just blurt it out when it's finished.

#13 ·
Another Aussie here! And another one surprised to see so many other Australians on the board. Especially given how backward much of australia seems to be in terms of publshing/ebooks. We have a writers festival coming up here in Brisbane in September or something, and I was rather disappointed to see no mention of self-publishing anywhere.

#17 ·
Rinelle, I've seen a few self-pub workshops advertised at things but they tend to be run by academics who either have little to no self pub experience.  I reckon there are a few on here that could tell them a thing or two.  If I had high sales and was writing full time, I'd think about looking into running workshops as an extra source of income -- and tell people how to do it right.

Nicole - I'm originally from Tassie  :D

#20 ·
*waves to all*

Sydney-sider here (Central Coast)

Yes I'm also amazed to see so many writers' workshops & events that have zero information on indie publishing. I think there's a lot of bias in Australia. While much of the rest of the world has accepted indie-books, Australia largely has not. If Amazon set themselves up here, I think that would rapidly change. Australians are big book buyers for the size of the population.

I'd definitely like to run some (super-cheap) workshops aimed at educating writers here on how they can self-publish. Finding the time is another matter though!

#21 ·
I've been on self-pub forums at SFF cons (latest just this month at CSFG) and without fail, I'm slotted with people who have little idea about self-publishing. They may have self-published a book or two, but haven't a clue about how to sell, where to advertise, where to post freebies, how to do freebies, how to even make their books free on Amazon.

Not. A. Clue. When I say that I make $500-1000 a month (which, in the scheme of this board, is a pittance), their ears just about fall off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.