NetGalley

Author Topic: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 249723 times)  

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
Re: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »
I love how this thread has just become all complaining about banks and talking about the weather  ;D

Perhaps we should rename it the Australian Blabber thread ? :)   All in all though, it's a good place to let out random topics, no doubt they'll move through phases.

Offline JohnHindmarsh

• Lake Tahoe
    • View Profile
    • John Hindmarsh
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »
I love how this thread has just become all complaining about banks and talking about the weather  ;D

Talking about the weather is hereditary and contagious - weather is the Brits main topic of conversation, and everyone just copies...

As for banks - the Aussie ones work as a cartel with little regard for the consumer, as far as I can tell. So if you are impacted, you let off steam.

Now lets talk about the acceptability of indie writing/self-publishing in Aus... Followed quickly by the rip-off paperback prices artificially inflated by the publishers' cartel, sanctioned by legislation...

['Cartel' in two different topics - how about that for conspiracy theorizing...]

:-)

Writing Diamond Cut - final book in the Glass Complex trilogy. New covers on the way.
John Hindmarsh | Web Site

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
  • Aussie Artist and Author
    • View Profile
    • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Talking about the weather is hereditary and contagious - weather is the Brits main topic of conversation, and everyone just copies...

As for banks - the Aussie ones work as a cartel with little regard for the consumer, as far as I can tell. So if you are impacted, you let off steam.

Oh, totally. I thought it was funny because they are both very Aussie topics to talk about.  :)

As for paperback prices, they don't worry me anymore now I only read ebooks, but the prices really are ridiculous. I think the last paperback I bought cost $30-40.
-  
Selina Fenech | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
Oh, totally. I thought it was funny because they are both very Aussie topics to talk about.  :)

As for paperback prices, they don't worry me anymore now I only read ebooks, but the prices really are ridiculous. I think the last paperback I bought cost $30-40.

Book Depository!

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
So, I've just had some books ordered from Createspace, and I set the price of purchase on amazon to 11.50... but I noticed that some people set theirs to the price it cost Creatspace to make the book. So this would mean they don't get any royalties... unless there's something I'm missing.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
I set mine so that when I do expanded distribution, I still make a dollar or two per book.

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »
I'm about to undertake the CreatSpace adventure so would love to hear how people went/go with it.

Talking about the weather .... Another reasonably mild winter day here in Melbourne. (I still remember Mrs Bale, the housekeeper in the British sitcom series As Time Goes By, who always started her conversation with a weather report.)

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »
I've used Lightning Source in Australia in the past for other books, the upfront costs aren't too bad and you get the full distribution without any troubles, including Amazon.

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
I've used Lightning Source in Australia in the past for other books, the upfront costs aren't too bad and you get the full distribution without any troubles, including Amazon.

I've been wondering about Lightning Source, especially as they have a 'print facility' in Melbourne. That must reduce postage costs. Did you do a cost comparison with CreateSpace? (Not that I'm lazy or anything!)

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Just been catching up on this thread!

Payment methods, seems like there's no good way to do this! I'm torn between wanting to see some actual money, and knowing that either way most of it is going to be eaten up by fees! And they're probably worse for the small amounts.

Weather- enjoying the warmer than usual winter, though we haven't hit August yet, which seems to be when it gets coldest!

Createspace- in the middle of checking my proof. More than happy with everything about them, except the postage costs and time! I'm either going to have to wait months to get the book out while I wait for a second proof to correct issues, pay a fortune (something like $26) to get a copy here in under a week, or send it out without checking the proof a second time. Rather annoying.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
Createspace- in the middle of checking my proof. More than happy with everything about them, except the postage costs and time! I'm either going to have to wait months to get the book out while I wait for a second proof to correct issues, pay a fortune (something like $26) to get a copy here in under a week, or send it out without checking the proof a second time. Rather annoying.

If it helps, I've found that the CS shipping times are often much faster than they estimate... although I wouldn't rely on that.  ::)
-  

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
We've had lightning source produce a proof in under 7 days including delivery for us in the past.  I like using LS, particularly now that they've got the Melbourne printing office.  The demands can be slightly higher than CS in terms of your submission, but it's worth it.

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »
You guys are making me want to get my books done with Lightning Source. I got an account with them, but last time I priced shipping, etc (years ago), CS just seemed better. Is shipping actually a good price now if they are being printed in Melbourne?
-  

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2013, 12:59:37 AM »
Wow, poor timing hearing all this good stuff about LS after just clicking approve on Createspace.  What do people do with their print copies?  Do you try to get them in small bookshops or sell offline?  I figure I'll order some for Chrissie presents for family  ;D

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:56 AM »
You guys are making me want to get my books done with Lightning Source. I got an account with them, but last time I priced shipping, etc (years ago), CS just seemed better. Is shipping actually a good price now if they are being printed in Melbourne?

We had a recent release last year, ordered 40 copies for a release party, I think it was about $130 express freight ( these were BIG books ), but normal freight was down at about $20.  Best thing was, because we were short of time we contacted them and they pushed it ahead, so it's wonderful having that sort of human-contact.

Locally we offered the books out to several stores, they were happy to find shelf space and even put up posters for us.

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2013, 01:29:36 AM »
What do people do with their print copies?  Do you try to get them in small bookshops or sell offline?  I figure I'll order some for Chrissie presents for family  ;D

I've got an established online store which I sell signed copies through (http://www.fairiesandfantasy.com/store/Books-and-Calendars-SF/) but my art books, also printed with CS, are what sell more than my novels. But if I don't give people access to signed copies, my true fans get angry :D I also do events and markets, not necessarily book related, and sell books at those, and it's always handy to have paperbacks around to send to reviewers who prefer hard copies, and for giveaways.
-  

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2013, 02:06:27 AM »
I've heard a few comparisons between lightning source and createspace, and I think it was the initial cost that put me off lightning source? Once I have the book sorted and up, it won't be a big deal really. Plan to pay for expanded distribution and put it on book depository, where my Aussie friends and family can get free postage. Hard to compete with that. I just don't get why amazon still charges so much!

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2013, 02:19:17 AM »
Plan to pay for expanded distribution and put it on book depository, where my Aussie friends and family can get free postage. Hard to compete with that.

Good point.

Offline Tabitha Levin

• Sydney, Australia
  • More coffee please
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:05 AM »

I don't order a second proof copy, since it's usually just small changes. I approve the second (if I have one) online using their online proofer thing so it goes live almost immediately.

Online MirandaPCharles

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Miranda P. Charles' Website
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2013, 04:12:06 AM »
I just don't get why amazon still charges so much!

I know, especially when they also own Book Depository (I believe).

Miranda P. Charles | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
I know, especially when they also own Book Depository (I believe).

Exactly. And when my proof arrived, the packaging looked suspiciously like the ones I get from book depository!

I'm considering making a few changes to the cover, and possibly the font, so unfortunately I think I'll need to see it in print again. But at least future books should be quicker and easier, since I'll have an effective template, and know what fonts work etc,

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
Another Aussie here - currently living in Tassie but soon to be in monotonously flat Perth.  Occasional writer too - when time permits :P
Dead Man's Drop (Noir Dark Fantasy) Rewrite: 100%

Echo of the Ages Book 1 Rewrite: 7%

Unnamed Echo of the Ages Standalone First Draft: 50%
Mist and Shadows | Tales From a Thousand Worlds

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
Good morning, Australia.

Re CreateSpace and Lightning Source:

I found this thread comparing CreateSpace and Lightning Source interesting.
Preach sets out a cost comparison. (Add the cost of purchasing an ISBN to the LS charges.)
TexasGirl and others gave good reasons for using both CS and LS.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=156424.0

The following blog was also informative:
http://www.selfpublishingcommunity.com/features/self-publishing-with-lightning-source

Offline Julie Harris

• Queensland, Australia
  • Australian storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Julie Harris
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »
Do you know that Draft2Digital pays Aussies by EFT? I wish they'd been around when I first started, because I wouldn't get writer's cramp filling out two separate forms to deposit one cheque.
I would love to get all my stories distributed via D2D so payments come in one hit, but I'm a bit wary of losing reviews - I've already lost too many in the great Amazon purge but that's a story for another day.
Indie Publishing has restored the storytelling passion that traditional publishing and a lazy agent hammered out of me fifteen years ago.

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
I'm going to publish through D2D.
Has anyone done some hardcore comparison math between D2D/payoneer/cheques? Just to see how much money we have to pay just to get out money?

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac