mblart

Author Topic: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 249727 times)  

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:38 AM »
An ITIN works as well, but an EIN is apparently easier to get.

I really have to do it. I just HATE phoning people. And for some reason, phoning the US seems worse. The only time I've made an international call was calling Australia while I was in Japan! But I should make myself do it.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2013, 03:10:15 AM »
Ah you beat me to the link.
I haven't done it yet but it looks pretty straight forward to do - one phone call and a form to Amazon/etc

Yep. It's easy and straightforward. They give you the EIN over the phone and you can start using it straight away even though they will also send you a form to sign as confirmation that your details are correct. 

Once you have the number you can fill out the W8-BEN and send it to Amazon (and Smashwords and Draft2Digital etc). Amazon email you when they receive it and from then on they are only required to withhold 5% US tax (as per the treaty arrangement between US and Aus.) That 5% can be offset against expenses.

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2013, 03:25:46 AM »
Rinelle, I'm the same about calling people and, to be honest, it was a bit hard for them to understand my accent.  I used skype because I was worried about being on hold for a while (with reason) so maybe the connection didn't help either.

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »
So do they send you an email if you're getting paid by cheque? I'm sure my earnings should be over that by now, but no email.... (And no cheque.)

Rinelle, I'm not sure why you would need an email from Amazon.

They send you a sales report via your bookshelf by the 15th of the following month. For instance, your report for July will be available around August 15th. Your cheque for July will correspond with the sales report figures and should arrive in the first week of October (60 days delay). The payment slip that accompanies your cheque shows 'Invoice Amount'  (this amount will be the same as the amount on your report) - 'Adjustment' (5% tax withheld) = 'Net Amount'.

Is that the sort of information you were looking for or did I totally misunderstand?  :)

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2013, 05:33:40 AM »
I'm not making enough to get a monthly cheque yet. In fact, I haven't had one at all yet. Just wondering if I'll have some idea it's coming, or it will just turn up out of the blue.

Online MirandaPCharles

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Miranda P. Charles' Website
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »
Just wondering if I'll have some idea it's coming, or it will just turn up out of the blue.

It will just turn up out of the blue. :)  Just keep an eye out for it two months after you reach the threshold.

Miranda P. Charles | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
Aussies can't get a direct B&N account, can't do Kickstarter (and let's face it, indiegogo is just not the same), etc, etc.

No Kickstarter but I've heard good things about Pozible  http://www.pozible.com/

Offline Bec

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Allinson's blog
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »
An ITIN works as well, but an EIN is apparently easier to get.

I really have to do it. I just HATE phoning people. And for some reason, phoning the US seems worse. The only time I've made an international call was calling Australia while I was in Japan! But I should make myself do it.

If you really hate phoning people, you can always fax the form to them. That's what I did. Yep, I'm a wimp. They faxed back a week or two later, and I got a copy in the post as well.

R.M. Allinson

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
Having also just read The Naked Truth about Self Publishing, I feel even more the distance between Aus and the US in terms of self publishing. The book was awesome, but suggests so many things that aren't open to Aussies. Audio books, for one. ACX is US only, and, even if you produce your own audio book, even Audible (the major distributor) is ALSO US only, so there's no where to distribute it. Joining Romance Writers of AMERICA probably isn't going to happen (and RW of Aus just isn't as big of a thing). Aussies can't get a direct B&N account, can't do Kickstarter (and let's face it, indiegogo is just not the same), etc, etc.

The audio thing is a huge problem. I have 3 audios through Montlake, but I'd love to do some of my own. The other drawback is the street team thing and sending swag. I'm not really interested in setting up a street team, but I just wish it was cheaper to send stuff to winners who are mostly based in the US. I tend to do Amazon gift cards, or ebooks as prizes now. Occasionally I'll do a paperback and send it straight from Createspace, but don't sign them which seems to be want readers want. I also have vistaprint stuff I'd love to send to winners too.

I belong to RWAm and RWAus. If I chose to drop one, it would be the American one as I'm probably never going to their conference and have no interest in the contests anymore (give books sales over the hassle of sending in books for comps any day!). I love going to the Aussie conference and meeting other writers here though. It's invigorating and everyone is lovely. Even if you don't go to many of the sessions, just meeting other Aussie romance writers is awesome. I LIKE the fact that it's smaller than the US RWA. It makes the conference less intimidating. I'm not going to the Perth one this year, but hope to make it to Melbourne next year.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline A.A

• When I grow up....
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »
I went through the lengthy and somewhat more expensive process of getting an ITIN instead of an EIN. It was just after I got the ITIN that people started talking about this EIN option and getting me ALL CONFUSED! I feel like I did the wrong thing now, but hey, everyone seems to accept my ITIN so far, soooo... I'm not touching it for now unless I hear otherwise (I'll be asking my accountant about it soon!).

Selina, what's the process in getting a ITIN?
I was thinking of using these people to do it for me, but don't know if they can: http://www.taxback.com/usa-ITIN-numbers.asp

(I have an EIN, but apparently, I need a ITIN to get back my tax from before I had a EIN)

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
  • Aussie Artist and Author
    • View Profile
    • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
Selina, what's the process in getting a ITIN?
I was thinking of using these people to do it for me, but don't know if they can: http://www.taxback.com/usa-ITIN-numbers.asp

(I have an EIN, but apparently, I need a ITIN to get back my tax from before I had a EIN)

You need a certified copy of your identification docs (passport most likely), so you have to send the copy and original to some certified official and pay them to put their stamp on your copy so that it's a certified copy, then mail it to the IRS along with the forms, then wait for them to reply back about whether you did it all right or not- which I didn't, the first time, and had to get ANOTHER certified copy (they don't send it back of course) and start again. There's a thread somewhere here that covers the process and options really well.
-  
Selina Fenech | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Offline JamieCampbell

• Gold Coast, Australia
  • I believe in magic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »
Yeah for Aussie authors!

I'm on the Gold Coast, Queensland - it is a beautiful sunny day here today.

Jamie Campbell | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »

I made a group for us on facebook (Aussie Indie Writers -- group name subject to change)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/593237414059959/edit/

If anyone wants to add me personally, and explore the ins and outs of my private life (just kidding) you can add me here.

https://www.facebook.com/MissSueDoenim

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
The group link isn't working  :o Just takes me to the main facebook page.  If I take the /edit/ off the end, it's fine!

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »
The group link isn't working  :o Just takes me to the main facebook page.  If I take the /edit/ off the end, it's fine!

ooops

https://www.facebook.com/groups/593237414059959/

Better?

I haven't set the name yet (for the web address). Thought I'd let you guys decide.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
Joined.

Last week, I had a huge big rant on my blog over the fact that so many of these Facebook groups and Twitter accounts do nothing except deliver spam. I trust this one will be different!

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
Joined.

Last week, I had a huge big rant on my blog over the fact that so many of these Facebook groups and Twitter accounts do nothing except deliver spam. I trust this one will be different!

I'm hoping the group will decide on the rules of the group, eventually. I just made it as a place off of Kindleboards to congregate. I want it to be about sharing the craft and business... and by business I mean not expecting others to buy your books (unless we strategise it that way for whatever reason). At this point I am only adding people I recognise from this thread.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
I think it could be beneficial to put up a "NO SPAM OR BURN IN HELL" note on the site and throw it open to the masses. I, for one, know a lot of self-published authors who are not on the Kindleboards and could desperately use some more experienced souls to talk to.

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
Yeah for Aussie authors!

I'm on the Gold Coast, Queensland - it is a beautiful sunny day here today.

Spare a thought for those of us here in Melbourne and stop bragging about your sunshine! (Just kidding. ;))

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
I think it could be beneficial to put up a "NO SPAM OR BURN IN HELL" note on the site and throw it open to the masses. I, for one, know a lot of self-published authors who are not on the Kindleboards and could desperately use some more experienced souls to talk to.

It depends on what the group wants from the facebook group. Selina was talking about making a group and I guessed she was referring to the way the Indie Voice works. I think we'd have to limit our numbers on the facebook group in order to make something like that manageable... or, if we decide we want an open, anyone can join unless they don't spam, group, we should still have a core group of us aside from the main FB group.

Anyone want to jump in here?

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
I think we'd have to limit our numbers on the facebook group in order to make something like that manageable...

That would be my thought too.

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »
If you really hate phoning people, you can always fax the form to them. That's what I did. Yep, I'm a wimp. They faxed back a week or two later, and I got a copy in the post as well.

That sounds like a better option! What form did you fax them? I'd have to go out to find a fax machine, so I wouldn't want them to fax back to that number! How long did the post copy take?

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 02, 2013, 11:44:27 PM »
I joined up (at least I think I did... I'm mostly asleep right now) under Sam Woods

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2013, 12:52:40 AM »
I joined up (at least I think I did... I'm mostly asleep right now) under Sam Woods

Hey SJ are you in Australia?

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2013, 02:48:10 AM »
Hey SJ are you in Australia?
Yes, sunny sunny Wollongong on the east coast

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac