NetGalley

Author Topic: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 249579 times)  

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
Re: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #2475 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:14 PM »
Paypal is (or at least was) owned by Ebay, one of Amazon's biggest competitors. It's not surprising Amazon doesn't use that platform.

I can never get over how stupid childish these companies are.

Online LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #2476 on: June 02, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
I can never get over how stupid childish these companies are.

Buy your own payment processing platform, this one's mine!

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
  • Born in the UK, raised in Spain, now Australian
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2477 on: June 02, 2018, 11:29:50 PM »
I'd be happy with an Amazon-backed mastercard/visa debit card. They can brand it, send me the card, and give me the option of banking all my royalties/affiliates/whatever into that account. Also, it would be nice if they would deduct AMS spend from there BEFORE the 5% tax is deducted, since the AMS is a business expense, no?

Ahh, utopia. I guess I'll just have to write one instead.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #2478 on: June 03, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
Paypal is (or at least was) owned by Ebay

I think they got a divorce.

Online LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #2479 on: June 03, 2018, 05:15:44 AM »
I think they got a divorce.

Yeah, I had in mind it might not be a current relationship. I just knew that was the reason I'd found a few years back for why you couldn't buy using PayPal on Amazon.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: June 03, 2018, 06:23:31 AM »
Probably a bit early for this, but does anyone (particularly anyone in Melbourne) use an accountant for their book stuff? My day job and financial life is straightforward enough that I don't need one for that, but I did have a good one last financial year - good except he was damn near impossible to get in touch with when I was trying to get my tax bill paid off* before the deadline. I could just go to HR Block I guess, but if anyone in Melbourne has an accountant who's used to doing small (measly small) business stuff, especially anything to do with self publishing, I'd love to know.

(*You might wonder why, if he was a good accountant, I ended up with a tax bill at all. Turns out my day job didn't tell the ATO about my HECS debt. Whoops!)

Shane Carrow

Offline JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #2481 on: June 03, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »
Probably a bit early for this, but does anyone (particularly anyone in Melbourne) use an accountant for their book stuff? My day job and financial life is straightforward enough that I don't need one for that, but I did have a good one last financial year - good except he was damn near impossible to get in touch with when I was trying to get my tax bill paid off* before the deadline. I could just go to HR Block I guess, but if anyone in Melbourne has an accountant who's used to doing small (measly small) business stuff, especially anything to do with self publishing, I'd love to know.

(*You might wonder why, if he was a good accountant, I ended up with a tax bill at all. Turns out my day job didn't tell the ATO about my HECS debt. Whoops!)

I have used Accounting Solutions, Bairnsdale for years. Excellent service and they know their stuff. I've never met them personally - all done by email. Easy peasey. Link: http://www.accountingsolutionsvictoria.com.au/

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: June 03, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/Colin-Perryman-Accounting-Services-115468709133801/
Colin Perryman. He works remotely if needed and has loads of experience in the creative industries. Hes also very nice and quite affordable.

Cozy Fantasy / Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2483 on: June 05, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »
Createspace have been slowly adding to my Euro balance for about 7 years now without getting to the 108 Euro threshold required to issue a cheque. If Payoneer can wring that out of them it's worth a try.

Also yWriter novel writing software & SalesScanner, a free KDP/Google/Smashwords/Createspace sales analyser for PC.

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: June 06, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »
I have used Accounting Solutions, Bairnsdale for years. Excellent service and they know their stuff. I've never met them personally - all done by email. Easy peasey. Link: http://www.accountingsolutionsvictoria.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/Colin-Perryman-Accounting-Services-115468709133801/
Colin Perryman. He works remotely if needed and has loads of experience in the creative industries. Hes also very nice and quite affordable.

Thanks!

Shane Carrow

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #2485 on: June 07, 2018, 02:30:26 AM »
Createspace have been slowly adding to my Euro balance for about 7 years now without getting to the 108 Euro threshold required to issue a cheque. If Payoneer can wring that out of them it's worth a try.

Payoneer are really good for getting those smaller payments :)

I recently thought about moving to Transferwise but you need an ABN. I've got one but the letter they sent me with it on is back home in Australia so it might take a while before I can open an account.

Online LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: June 07, 2018, 02:46:45 AM »

I recently thought about moving to Transferwise but you need an ABN. I've got one but the letter they sent me with it on is back home in Australia so it might take a while before I can open an account.

You should be able to look up your ABN here: https://abr.business.gov.au/

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: June 09, 2018, 04:02:01 AM »
Does anyone know hot to set up a United Kingdom bank account on Amazon? I am using Payoneer, and trying to add the British bank details into KDP, but the account number does not have enough numbers in it. Amazon says it has a minimum of 15, and yet the account number on Payoneer is only 8 numerals long.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I am also not sure why no royalties have been paid into my US account. The EU one got paid within a few days of me setting up the account, but the US one has nothing. I think Payoneer said Amazon was transferring money to it, and yet none showed up and it does not show up under the "payments" tab in Reports on KDP.

I am confused. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
I write 2600 words per hour!

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2488 on: June 09, 2018, 04:36:54 AM »
I just used the US account for all currencies (barring AUD and those which are over 100 a month anyway)

If you think about it, US authors get paid their euros/mexican whatevers/brazilian reals when the balance reaches US$10, and don't need separate accounts for them all. We're doing the same thing.

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2489 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:05 AM »

Just confirming amazon KDP and Createspace have indeed coughed up all those small EU/JPY/whatever amounts they've been accruing on my behalf. I just got a large batch of emails from them.

The oldest amounts are from 2012.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #2490 on: June 14, 2018, 03:38:46 AM »
If you think about it, US authors get paid their euros/mexican whatevers/brazilian reals when the balance reaches US$10

I get payments of less than $10 every month. Indeed, I once got a payment of 97 cents from the BR store.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2491 on: June 14, 2018, 04:23:31 AM »
I get payments of less than $10 every month. Indeed, I once got a payment of 97 cents from the BR store.

Thanks! That's good news indeed.

I was probably thinking of Createspace, because I thought one of them had a min $10. Ohh .. maybe it's the amazon affiliates account?

Anyway, better in my pocket than theirs!

Offline Cannelle

• Tasmania, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Elisabeth Cannell - Author
« Reply #2492 on: June 14, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
Hello all.
I'm from Tasmania.

Elisabeth Cannell | Facebook | Webpage

Offline Simon Haynes

• Perth, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #2493 on: June 14, 2018, 05:34:29 AM »
Hello all.
I'm from Tasmania.

Welcome aboard!

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #2494 on: June 14, 2018, 06:53:42 AM »
Hello all.
I'm from Tasmania.

Hi, I'm originally from Tassie too :)