Author Topic: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 250798 times)  

Offline MirandaPCharles

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Miranda P. Charles' Website
Re: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
I planned to write today but all I've been doing is reading this board... Well, tomorrow's a new day.

Miranda P. Charles | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 12:48:14 AM »
I did 2000+ today, and more to come later tonight. Productive!!

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »
I'm in Wollongong (south of Sydney for those playing at home).
It's a good day when you don't get asked for money in the street.

I'm in Perth and possibly moving to wollongong next year.

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 01:22:52 AM »
Hey, I wrote 2000 words yesterday, while supposedly having a weekend off. I'm allowed not to work!

Paradoxically, that's when I want to work the most. Bloody contrary muse.

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 01:34:38 AM »
So what's everyone using for promotional stuff here in Australia?  I've been spreading money around, chasing every opening on blogging and such that I can, but I just can't yet seem to get traction any more :(

On a completely separate note, I see that Lightning Source has an Australian printing house now, which would be great if anyone wants print-books.

Online JB Rowley

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Whisper My Secret
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:01 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Nicole; great idea. 

I'm in Melbourne and started my direct publishing adventure just over a year ago. I have learnt a lot from the wise ones here on KBoards and thus far the adventure has been a positive one. Indie publishing and the opportunities offered by Amazon have increased my motivation to write tenfold.

My wishlist includes Amazon.com.au. I reckon if a small country like Denmark, with a population of less than 6 million can have their own Amazon page, dear Australia with a population of over 23 million should have her own Amazon page.

Also on my wish list is a better payment option (as someone already mentioned). PayPal would be fine, thanks Amazon.

JB :)

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Nicole; great idea. 

Finally, a good idea in my hat :D

My wishlist includes Amazon.com.au. I reckon if a small country like Denmark, with a population of less than 6 million can have their own Amazon page, dear Australia with a population of over 23 million should have her own Amazon page.

Also on my wish list is a better payment option (as someone already mentioned). PayPal would be fine, thanks Amazon.

Yes, a local Amazon would be delightful, not sure what's holding them back, I didn't realise that Denmark had their own.   As for payments, I doubt we'll see them "stoop" to using PayPal, because eBay is a bit of a competitor to them.  Still, they could use direct transfers or whatever Google is using for their AdSense payments program ( which I know pays direct in to AU bank accounts ).

Good to have you along here - hopefully we can keep the thread running, even if I have to shock it a few times (electrically, not by flashing erotica!  :P )

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 02:06:19 AM »
Denmark doesn't. DE stands for Germany.

Y'all realise that with every store Amazon splits off, we have ANOTHER damn place that requires a $100 threshold before they'll pay out?

No, I don't want a .AU store. I want Amazon to treat all their stores as one, aggregate all their sales into one, and send us one payment per month, and pay us into our bank account. And while we're at it, I want them to take our Australian TFN.

Kobo can do it.

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:08 AM »
Denmark doesn't. DE stands for Germany.

Aaah, I was wondering if that was where the confusion was from :)

No, I don't want a .AU store. I want Amazon to treat all their stores as one, aggregate all their sales into one, and send us one payment per month, and pay us into our bank account. And while we're at it, I want them to take our Australian TFN.

Dreams... such dreams... and yes, I forgot about Kobo, I do have my books there already, and I've had a few sales, but I'm currently having some troubles with updating things.

Offline David Adams

• Canberra, Australia
  • David Dalglish's Kobold Minion
    • View Profile
    • The Lacunaverse
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »
Hah, well, probably the worst thing is having get paid by cheques, excluded from a lot of Amazon/B&N programs, and the higher prices for everything online. Microsoft, why is Windows 8 so much more expensive in Oz? Gah.

Lacuna series novels:Fantasy:Bad fanfiction:Par. Romance:
Lacuna series updates: http://www.facebook.com/lacunaverse

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 02:41:33 AM »
Yeah Patty, I'd like to see that too.  Though if we were getting electronic payments, it'd only be a $10 threshold, wouldn't it?

David, I read someone saying they could fly to the US and get the adobe products they wanted cheaper than they could buy them in Aus.  That's pretty bad  :o

On the plus side, the exchange rate is starting to swing in our favour for payments  :D

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
I'm in Perth and possibly moving to wollongong next year.
Wollongong Isnt too bad. Beach on one side, mountains on the other. Sydney about an hour drive away, beautiful scenery north and south. Jobs and culture not great, but it's getting better.

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
@David,   what's with your creation of the dollop-of-crap-on-fire?  Does that mean you're under 1/day and you've lost the plot and are just burning everything in sight?

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
  • Aussie Artist and Author
    • View Profile
    • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
Aussie here too, on the Central Coast.
I'm in the process of trying to get internet access on an old UK bank account my husband used to use when he lived there years ago to try and get my royalties paid by EFT into it... seriously, couldn't there be an easier way?  ::) Amazon sure knows how to make a country feel insignificant.

-  
Selina Fenech | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Offline David Adams

• Canberra, Australia
  • David Dalglish's Kobold Minion
    • View Profile
    • The Lacunaverse
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 03:48:13 AM »
@David,   what's with your creation of the dollop-of-crap-on-fire?  Does that mean you're under 1/day and you've lost the plot and are just burning everything in sight?

Basically yes!

I'm above 1/day, really. I think I'm getting about 10-15 a day, all things considered, it's just that expressing ones sales rate as a flaming dollup of poop is hilarious to me.
Lacuna series novels:Fantasy:Bad fanfiction:Par. Romance:
Lacuna series updates: http://www.facebook.com/lacunaverse

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 03:54:40 AM »
Flaming poop is always funny

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:46 AM »
Aussie here too, on the Central Coast.
I'm in the process of trying to get internet access on an old UK bank account my husband used to use when he lived there years ago to try and get my royalties paid by EFT into it... seriously, couldn't there be an easier way?  ::) Amazon sure knows how to make a country feel insignificant.

I think as a general rule Australians by and large seem to have a bad case of low-self-esteem or something to that effect.  We don't have a long [settler] history, we live quite far away from our original settling compatriots, and while we have an exceptionally diverse multicultural society which we readily integrate in to and accept we lack our own defining mark, other than perhaps some sports ( easier when it's the Commonwealth games, less so on the Olympics :( ).  Wait, I seem to have forgotten where I was heading with this reply.

Offline ShaneJeffery

• Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 04:04:50 AM »
Flaming poop is always funny

Not if you're about to leave for work.

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 04:06:06 AM »
Mine is more of a single flaming kangaroo pellet, that puts me at the "Above 1 a week" level.  As I've said in some other threads, if you want to learn how best not to campaign or promote, just follow what I do :D

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 04:10:16 AM »
Melbournian here. Patty's right, I don't think getting Amazon.com.au is a good idea. Another cheque in another currency with another threshold. Last month I took 4 cheques to the bank - US, UK, CA, DE. The really annoying thing was that with 4 different currencies, the ANZ wouldn't let me have 1 fee to combine them, it was a separate fee for each cheque. Plus the US one was over their magic imaginary number they plucked out of the sky and had to go to their clearing house, which must be a resort somewhere with exotic massages and pedicures because it costs a fortune! Paypal would be awesome, but it's not going to happen.

Sorry, rant over. Otherwise, we live in the best country. Just sayin'.  ;D

Love connecting with Aussie here on KB. There are a LOT of us. As to educating writers about indie, believe me RWAus members are very aware of it. There are a lot of romance writers who are indie or hybrid, they're just not on KB.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 04:14:31 AM »
Not if you're about to leave for work.
I stand corrected.

Offline NicoleSwan

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Swan Books
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
@CJArcher,

Love the title of your book there "Finders keepers, losers die",  that in itself tweaks the interest almost instantly, absolute gold :)

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
  • Reader and writer of fantasy
    • View Profile
    • United States of Vinland
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 04:27:05 AM »
I'm checking in, too! I'm in Perth.  :D

I actually ran into Simon Haynes today, not virtually, but physically, at my local cafe. He lives near by and often cycles through my neck of the woods. He's also often on KB.

Yes, there's quite a few Aussies (and Kiwis) on this board!

The United States of Vinland is out now!
Colin Taber | author website | Facebook | New Release Alerts

Offline MirandaPCharles

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Miranda P. Charles' Website
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2013, 05:31:54 AM »
So what's everyone using for promotional stuff here in Australia?  I've been spreading money around, chasing every opening on blogging and such that I can, but I just can't yet seem to get traction any more :(

On a completely separate note, I see that Lightning Source has an Australian printing house now, which would be great if anyone wants print-books.

I haven't done any Aussie specific marketing.  The one thing that worked relatively well for me was the KDP Select free days.  As my books are in a series, sales of my others books spike up every time I give one for free.  I'm thinking of taking my first series books out of Select when the period ends, though.

In respect of print books, I don't know much about Lightning Source but I believe they charge a one-off payment to upload a book?  I'm using CreateSpace and paid for the extended distribution ($25 per book).  Because of this,  I found my print books on bookdepository.com and the price of my books there are the same as in Amazon (they're owned by Amazon now, I believe).  But the good thing with Book Depository is they provide free shipping of books worldwide.  I only just found this out recently and I think it's a great option for readers from Oz to pay Amazon prices for my print books without the delivery costs.  (Some Aussie online book outlets sell my print books for almost double the price).

Miranda P. Charles | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2013, 05:35:46 AM »
Melbourne here!

As for cheques, I cut that whole thing in half and went with an account from Payoneer. Very easy, and it goes into an American account which I then withdraw from via their Visa Debit card.

I didn't realise so many of us were Australian, that's awesome.