Kindle Forum banner

Kindle 2 Review with no basis for comparison

10K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Marisa14 
#1 ·
Preface: I've had my Kindle 2 for nearly a month now, and I've never owned a Kindle Klassic or any other ebook reader. That said, bear with me, because some of these features are features on the Kindle 1, too.

First impressions: Small and light but felt surprisingly sturdy. I was SO excited to see that it fit in my smallish purse (admittedly with no room to spare). The buttons are nicely placed and the screen is readable even in dimmish light.

Pros:

-- Books! Whenever I want them! Wherever I want them! No more dragging a worn paperback around! No more running out of reading material! No more overflowing bookshelves!

-- The screen and font are easy to read, surprisingly so.

-- The menu is, for the most part, navigable. After a few "how do I get there" moments, it's easy to use. I love how it saves your last page and opens right to it.

-- Amazon's book-buying webpage is surprisingly easy to use, especially considering the limited browser. They've clearly laid out the page with the Kindle in mind.

-- Book samples. Some are great, some are just a few title pages. The thing I really like though is that you don't just have a "Buy it Now" button, you have the choice to go back to the page and check reviews/price.

-- The dictionary. I have a pretty good vocabulary from lots of reading, but I still come across words I don't know. The pronunciation guide in the dictionary is a big help. Now I know how to pronounce "demesne," though I've long known what it meant. I love being able to go to a word right in the page, and not have to go to a separate screen and look it up.

-- The page refresh. Noticeable, but fast enough not to detract from reading.

Cons:

-- The itty bitty joystick. If ever there was a device meant for a touchscreen, it's the Kindle. Thankfully, the joystick isn't needed all that much.

-- I wish they reminded you of the price of a book at the end of a sample. For those of us on a budget, the price can be a deal breaker. A book may not be worth $9.99.

Other observations on ebooks and life in general:

-- Formatting is inconsistent. Some books have mysterious line breaks, others have words hyphenated, obviously the byproduct of hardcopy editing. I see this becoming less and less of a problem as ebooks become less of an "afterthought."

-- Not all books are available. Again, I think this will be come less of a problem. And it's hardly Amazon's fault, I think they'd love to see all books as Kindle books.

-- The lack of a color screen/lightning fast browser/general bells and whistles. Honestly, I think some people forget what the Kindle/other ebook readers are for. They're for reading. So what if they're not in color. And as for internet access...that's what your fancy iPhone/netbook is for. Thankfully, I don't think Amazon has forgotten.

All in all -- I wish I'd bought it sooner. I love my K2 and anticipate it being the first of many Kindles.

Update after just over 6 months of use

-- All of the above still hold true.

-- I'm impressed by the reliability. In 6 months of heavy use, I've never once had it freeze.

-- It goes with me just about everywhere. I bought a case for it, and it spends the day in the messenger bag I bring to work, comes out while I eat dinner (I usually eat alone...I'm not being rude!), then I frequently read in bed before I go to sleep. Needless to say, I'm reading more. My Kindle has become my most valued "gadget" and if it broke or was lost or stolen, I'd replace it that very day.

-- I've been able to feed my reading habit without spending much by reading freebies, classics, and independent authors, but still "splurge" on my favorite authors now and then. I'm spending more on books than I used to, because I was a regular library patron, but I still don't spend much.

-- Not all books are great on the Kindle. Until formatting improves, there are some books that should simply be read in DTB form. These are the minority, though.

-- I like the Kindle being nothing more than an ereader. I think if I were using an iPad, I'd be stopping every so often to check mail, etc., a bad habit I'd like to get away from.

-- Leaving the wireless off nets me several weeks of battery life.

-- I can read it while riding my vanpool. I never could read in the car before, so this is awesome. It makes my commute disappear.

-- Conclusion: If you think you might want one, buy it. I wasn't sure how much I'd use it when I bought it, but I use it every day. It's really just fantastic.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice review and welcome to you.

#3 ·
concrete_queen said:
Cons:

-- I wish they reminded you of the price of a book at the end of a sample. For those of us on a budget, the price can be a deal breaker. A book may not be worth $9.99.
I have had the same thouught but I am now in the habit of clicking the option to view the book details and that gives me the pricing info, etc. so I can make my decision.

#5 ·
im sure they will be discounting soon with the amount of e readers out there now

#13 ·
I love how Amazon has free 2 day shipping on the Kindle right now also

#19 ·
concrete_queen said:
Are you referring to me, or to the kindle blog (which one?). This is all my own work, and I've not posted it anywhere else...
Tell him to proof it

I believe you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.