KB Featured Book
Tea Cups & Tiger Claws
by Timothy Patrick

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-01-08
Bestseller ranking: 11858

Product Description

First comes the miracle and then comes the madness. The miracle is the birth of identical triplets, and the madness is all about money, of course. The year is 1916 and the newborn baby girls have become pint-size celebrities. Unfortunately, this small portion of fame soon leads to a much larger portion of greed, and the triplets are split up -- parceled out to the highest bidders. Two of the girls go to live in a hilltop mansion. The third girl isn't so lucky. She ends up with a shady family that lives in an abandoned work camp. That's how their lives begin: two on top, one on the bottom, and all three in the same small town. And when their worlds collide, as they must, the consequences are extreme.

"Tea Cups & Tiger Claws" spans fifty years and takes the reader from a shantytown to a gilded mansion, from dark desires to sacrificial love.

Author Topic: FRAUDULENT WEB SITE MAKING ACCUSATIONS - LOTS OF YOU ARE ON IT  (Read 24637 times)

Offline LisaGraceBooks

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
Re: FRAUDULENT WEB SITE MAKING ACCUSATIONS - LOTS OF YOU ARE ON IT
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
Great. Another list I'm not on. So much for improving my discoverability.

Thanks a lot. losers.

LOL

Frankly, a lot of the KBers on the list should have even more reviews...I mean Hugh's broken the 1 million sold, so he's probably under-reviewed. I'm a believer that reviews don't really sell books. It's the word-of-mouth by the reviewers themselves that sell books (through their real blog posts, tweets, FB pages, etc.), so "fake" reviews equal zero sales.

The KBers on the list are all savvy enough to know this, so the credibility of the "outer" is out.

Angel books 1 & 2 in movie development with Motion Picture Pro Studios
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Offline MichaelWallace

• View Profile
    • The Righteous
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »
As a granddaughter of Hungarian gypsies, I'm more offended when it's spelled incorrectly.  ;D

I thought I had it figured out, but about six months ago a Romanian tried to explain to me why Roma was offensive, because it confused people about Romanians, most of whom are not of that background. I kind of blew that off, thinking maybe it was just racism, but then I heard an argument between two people who were at least partially Roma/Gypsy. It was fairly heated, and suffice it to say they each preferred a different term and adamantly so.

So now I'm more confused than ever. At least with Native Americans, you can always default to the tribe name and be sure of not offending.

Offline cherylktardif

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl Kaye Tardif ~ International Bestselling Suspense Author
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
Well, those of us on the list who have never paid for a review in our lives (sorry, Kirkus!) know with 100% certainty that they are full of &%$#. This is the cool thing about being innocent. You get to know when the other person is lying.

Also: If you wanted to really defame someone, all you'd have to do is spend $50, buy that person 10 5-star reviews, and then provide receipts for the transactions. That's much easier than, actually, you know, writing a bestselling book of your own.  :D

So very true. Makes you really wonder why someone would spend their days defaming others like this, doesn't it? Wanna-be writer who hasn't seen any success, perhaps?

Over 200,000 copies of my books are in the hands of readers, most from my success with Select last year. That's when the reviews started pouring in. More readers = more reviews. I KNOW I did NOT pay for over 500 fake 5-star reviews. Nor will I ever. I don't have to. If your books sell well, the reviews come in.

This coward hiding behind this no-name blog can only be pitied for the poor excuse of a human being he or she is.

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
This coward hiding behind this no-name blog can only be pitied for the poor excuse of a human being he or she is.

No pity from me. S/he chose this path. My sympathy goes to the writers defamed by such behavior and to all writers indirectly and unfairly tainted by it. The only pity I have is for readers naive enough to believe any of this misinformation to the point of acting on it.
Spec-Fic for Young Adults and Older    *  AMAZON  *  Website  *  Blog  *  Tweets  *  Writer's ReTweets

FREE>

Offline cherylktardif

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl Kaye Tardif ~ International Bestselling Suspense Author
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
No pity from me. S/he chose this path. My sympathy goes to the writers defamed by such behavior and to all writers indirectly and unfairly tainted by it. The only pity I have is for readers naive enough to believe any of this misinformation to the point of acting on it.

As one of those authors, I thank you. And everyone else who has shown support via email/DMs! I appreciate it so much.

There is one thing we can all do, and that's report the blog for abuse (defamation). Not sure if Wordpress will remove it, but I think there's a good chance. I have already done so. http://en.wordpress.com/abuse/

Offline Lanie Jordan

• View Profile
    • Lanie Jordan
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
Ugh. Pitiful.

And honestly, one of the first lines of the blog had me laughing out loud: "As a former marketing executive, I was a natural for the role, as I facilitated I recorded every dirty detail for Zon Alert." (Bolding mine.) Sorry, but saying something like that takes away any credibility you'll have with me. Ever.

I know many on the list are KB'ers, but I don't personally know any of them, so I can't say what people do or don't do. But blogs like this are really disheartening--not just the posts themselves, either. The fact that people set out to harm others, out of what? Jealousy? Because that's all it says to me. Jealousy. Or the fact that some people aren't happy unless they're bringing others down. I feel sorry for them, because that's a really crappy way to live your life. All that negativity isn't healthy.

I'm really sorry for the authors on that list, that their names are being dragged through the mud by this person(s). :( But I'm pretty sure anyone who knows and reads y'all won't think twice about it. And I also agree that sharing the link around probably isn't going to help the matter any, because the more it goes around, the more people will see it and want to comment on it, whether good or bad. All it does it gives them publicity they DON'T need.

ETA: Typo.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:30:03 PM by Lanie Jordan »

Happy reading!
Lanie Jordan | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Betsy the Quilter

• "I'm a god. I'm not *the* God..."
  • Global Moderator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
The only pity I have is for readers naive enough to believe any of this misinformation to the point of acting on it.

Truthfully?  Most readers won't even know about it.  This reader certainly wouldn't have had it not been  posted here.  This thread has probably made far more people aware of it than ever would have been before the thread.

Betsy

Miss you, Dona & Jeff! | Joined 10/27/2008 | My websiteFacebook

Offline DarkScribe

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
LOL

Frankly, a lot of the KBers on the list should have even more reviews...I mean Hugh's broken the 1 million sold, so he's probably under-reviewed. I'm a believer that reviews don't really sell books. It's the word-of-mouth by the reviewers themselves that sell books (through their real blog posts, tweets, FB pages, etc.), so "fake" reviews equal zero sales.

The KBers on the list are all savvy enough to know this, so the credibility of the "outer" is out.
You don't believe that reviews sell books?  I have never purchased a book without looking at reviews and know no one who has. There are millions of books available online, far more than any bookshop in the past and the only criterion available for an initial assessment is the review rating. If reviewed well I might then look at sample pages, but never if the book was not well reviewed. I am one of those who initially raised the "Amazon review gaming" issue after I saw John Locke's reviews. I was the first to publicly accuse him of falsifying reviews.

This is a huge issue and Amazon has been moving slowly and seemingly rather reluctantly on it. One way or another it is well past time it was resolved.

Offline DarkScribe

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
So very true. Makes you really wonder why someone would spend their days defaming others like this, doesn't it? Wanna-be writer who hasn't seen any success, perhaps?

Over 200,000 copies of my books are in the hands of readers, most from my success with Select last year. That's when the reviews started pouring in. More readers = more reviews. I KNOW I did NOT pay for over 500 fake 5-star reviews. Nor will I ever. I don't have to. If your books sell well, the reviews come in.

It apparently is not one person, there are several claiming credit. Although the stated purpose behind their actions seem valid and above board, the reality is that they are making accusations founded on little more than guesswork. There is definitely some undisclosed angst involved regarding Melissa and one or two others.

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
Just to balance the board, I do not use reviews to buy books and neither does anyone else I know in real life.   I personally use blurbs.  
I only have one or two people online (not counting the authors I know on here) that if they say hey you need to try this book, I probably will.
Now if someone asks for my opinion of a book, I will tell them what I think.

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
At the risk of derailing the OP, regarding reviews and their effect on purchasing decisions:

1. I'm more inclined to buy a product that has a lot of reviews
2. I'm more inclined to buy a product that has been reviewed well
3. I'm less inclined to buy a product whose reviews I don't trust (for whatever reason)

I don't think these are wildly off-base statements. In fact, I think they probably describe many, if not most, consumers. So do campaigns such as those linked to in the OP have a dampening effect on potential buyers of those names listed? Absolutely. Will this particular campaign? Who knows. Whether the blog gets a lot of traffic or a little is irrelevant. Whether readers believe it or even know about it is irrelevant. Whether you can dismiss it because you personally don't use reviews to make decisions is irrelevant. All that's relevant is whether the accusations are true or false and whether or not they might have an effect on any buyer.

Spec-Fic for Young Adults and Older    *  AMAZON  *  Website  *  Blog  *  Tweets  *  Writer's ReTweets

FREE>

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• Author, Retired Cover Designer, & Animal Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
The best way to kill something like this is to ignore it. I know that's hard to do if you're one of the authors listed. But passing on the link, visiting the site, or even discussing it or sending angry emails to the blogger gives him what he wants. Attention. Significance.

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
    • Hudson Owen's Blog
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »
Frankly, I don't see how you could purchase 500 reviews, not ratings.  What would it cost, more than a dollar per review?  Who would write these reviews?  Book Rooster, slammed by me and others, only promises 10 reviews--which it almost never delivers on.  Five hundred?  I don't see how it's possible without spending $$$$$.

Offline P.C. (Peter) Anders

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »
My sympathies to those affected, and a microsecond's sigh of relief that I am a long way--perhaps light years--from being on any such list.
Author of uncensored, non-pc, humorous, humanist travelogues & meditations on massage in the U.S., Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.

Kindle: http://author.to/PCAnders
Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1494774119
Apple: http://bit.ly/VxX2jF
Kobo: http://bit.ly/XbhCEm
Nook : http://bit.ly/14BorGc
Smashwords: http://bit.ly/X754O3
Blog: http://uncensoredmassage.tumblr.com
Twitter: @imbooks

Offline RuthNestvold

• View Profile
    • Ruth Nestvold's blog
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:21 AM »
There is one thing we can all do, and that's report the blog for abuse (defamation). Not sure if Wordpress will remove it, but I think there's a good chance. I have already done so. http://en.wordpress.com/abuse/

Done. I may not be on that list, but this really bugs me. I'm not particularly successful, but even I was recently the victim of a nasty troll blog post. Yes, we should ignore these kinds of folks, but my first reaction was a stomach ache that wouldn't go away for several hours. It's amazing to me that some folks are cruel just for the fun of it.

So yeah, put me in the camp of those who are not envying those on the list, even if it means I don't have the 500 reviews to make it there. :)
    Ruth Nestvold
  Award Winning Author of Fantasy & SF

Blog   Twitter

Online CeeCeeS

• Philadelphia
  • I'm a Writer. Seriously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:51 AM »
This isn't going to get any steam. Don't worry about it.
There is a new plagiarism scandal breaking for a bestselling author, so I'm sure everyones energy is going to be there.
Also, readers really don't care about stuff like this.
This is more damaging to the writers relationship with other writers than anything.
Honestly if a book was good, I wouldn't care if they bought reviews.
Also, I only pay attention to in depth reviews either way.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:27:19 AM by Charmaine »

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Ledyard, CT
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
I was torn about this issue at first because a few of the names are authors I have had private go arounds about ethics and book marketing. There's a whole group of us who have been burned by this person and privately we shared the link thinking "Finally, xxxxx is being called out!" But then I got to looking at the REST of the posts and saw a number of names on there that aren't even authors, they are people with book review sites who review a bunch of indie books all the time. It doesn't make them shills or sock puppets, it makes them book reviewers. We all know it's not by merit books and movies get reviews in the major publications, if by networking and yes, sometimes, from an exchange of money.

Anyway, since I HAVE readers are my disposal, I wrote this to try to help stop the message that all indies are unethical, review buying people. My name isn't on the list (and yes, like previous posters, part of me kind of wished it was... LOL, all press is good press, LOL) so I can't be accused of protesting too much etc. The reality is most readers don't even know that if I pay $50, I can say my book was considered for a Pulitzer Prize...

http://thecheapebook.com/live/fake-ebook-reviews-and-how-to-stop-them/

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | LoveToReadEbooks.com

Offline Melissa Foster

• View Profile
    • Melissa Foster
UPDATE ON THAT AWFUL FRAUDULENT POST - PLEASE READ/SHARE!
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »
Karma is a b*tch, and the owner of that website is about to find that out.
A concerned citizen contacted Fiverr's legal department and received the following verification of the false accusations. Please share this publicly and stop the hatred! I've removed her name to protect her from being attacked as we were.

See, most people ARE good :-) xox

To: K (Name removed to protect from future attacks)
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Sharing Private Fiverr Correspondence Online

Dear K,

Thank you for reporting this. This blog is a complete fake, including the "employee" who was never employed at Fiverr and the information provided in the blog, thus there is no breach of privacy since it is not real information. We do not promote reviews and never had employees promote reviews for us, and the users mentioned on the blog are not known to us. We do appreciate the fact that you took the time to alert us to this slanderous content.

Best regards,

Fiverr Legal Department

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM, K wrote:
Hello- I just wanted to alert you to the fact that this person is sharing private correspondence that he obtain while employed with your company on his blog. I believe this is against your privacy policy and may even be illegal.

(FULL ACTIVE LINK REMOVED TO KEEP FROM DRIVING TRAFFIC TO THEIR SITE) Zon Alert Wordpress

K.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:21:16 AM by Melissa Foster »

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2013, 08:31:45 AM »
SIC 'EM!
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

Offline vrabinec

• Frederick, Md
    • View Profile
    • vrabinec
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »
Follow the trail of who alerted who to the site and soon you'll have the culprit. The site is so obscure, there's no chance someone tripped over it accidentally.  Someone had to push this, knowing it would get linked in places like KB.

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Ty Johnston
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »
So, reading that list, nearly every indie or hybrid author who has had any level of success is apparently guilty of buying reviews. There are a handful of names missing, but still. Are we then supposed to believe the only way to be a successful indie is by purchasing reviews?

Pfft. Whatever. I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Even if my name were on the list, I'd probably ignore it.

However, Melissa, as you were singled out time and time again, good job on dealing with it.

Ty Johnston | blog

Offline LisaGraceBooks

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
Karma is a b*tch, and the owner of that website is about to find that out.
A concerned citizen contacted Fiverr's legal department and received the following verification of the false accusations. Please share this publicly and stop the hatred! I've removed her name to protect her from being attacked as we were.

See, most people ARE good :-) xox

To: K (Name removed to protect from future attacks)
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Sharing Private Fiverr Correspondence Online

Dear K,

Thank you for reporting this. This blog is a complete fake, including the "employee" who was never employed at Fiverr and the information provided in the blog, thus there is no breach of privacy since it is not real information. We do not promote reviews and never had employees promote reviews for us, and the users mentioned on the blog are not known to us. We do appreciate the fact that you took the time to alert us to this slanderous content.

Best regards,

Fiverr Legal Department

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM, K wrote:
Hello- I just wanted to alert you to the fact that this person is sharing private correspondence that he obtain while employed with your company on his blog. I believe this is against your privacy policy and may even be illegal.

(FULL ACTIVE LINK REMOVED TO KEEP FROM DRIVING TRAFFIC TO THEIR SITE) Zon Alert Wordpress

K.

Right now there are 19 bloggers who liked this article. I generally don't read this negative stuff. I hope someone notifies the bloggers who "liked" it, that this anonymous person is full of it.

Angel books 1 & 2 in movie development with Motion Picture Pro Studios
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Offline Melissa Foster

• View Profile
    • Melissa Foster
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Vrabinec, yes, that's what I hope my cyber investigator will do.

Ty, I'm the one who had him banned from Goodreads because he was threatening authors using their PM system and he was posting fake reviews from fake accounts - and naming authors as fraud, etc. I have a big social media following, so I'm a draw (unfortunately at times like these). I ignored the first few attacks on me personally and he didn't like that. So he went bigger by including everyone else, hoping someone would post it and they did. So...here we are.

My goal now is to expose him and shut him down. He will be a nice example of why cowards/bulllies can't win.

Offline Melissa Foster

• View Profile
    • Melissa Foster
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »
Right now there are 19 bloggers who liked this article. I generally don't read this negative stuff. I hope someone notifies the bloggers who "liked" it, that this anonymous person is full of it.

We don't know how many of those "bloggers" are his sock puppets either

Offline Melissa Foster

• View Profile
    • Melissa Foster
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
It apparently is not one person, there are several claiming credit. Although the stated purpose behind their actions seem valid and above board, the reality is that they are making accusations founded on little more than guesswork. There is definitely some undisclosed angst involved regarding Melissa and one or two others.

Yes, I had him banned from Goodreads (well, his sock puppet accounts anyway)