Author Topic: 2010 Bible  (Read 50596 times)  

Offline Sendie

• Qawra, Malta
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Bible
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »
Hey, Martin, I thought it was very interesting, thanks for posting all that information.

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »
Martin, thanks so much for that information! My bad for taking so long to thank you!!! I really learn a lot when you discuss matters. What do you think about the revision they will be doing for the NIV Bible? If you care to discuss it, maybe we should start a separate thread for it, since this one is devoted to the Bible(s) we will be using for 2010.

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »
Hey, Martin, I thought it was very interesting, thanks for posting all that information.

You're very welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

I'm always glad to share what I've learned over the years.  

Martin
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:08:01 AM by mwvickers »

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 06:07:34 AM »
Martin, thanks so much for that information! My bad for taking so long to thank you!!! I really learn a lot when you discuss matters. What do you think about the revision they will be doing for the NIV Bible? If you care to discuss it, maybe we should start a separate thread for it, since this one is devoted to the Bible(s) we will be using for 2010.

Thanks for the compliment, Suzanne. 

Rather than starting another thread, I'll just respond quickly here, as I really don't know enough about it to warrant another thread (unless, that is, you've looked into it a lot, in which case, by all means share the info with me, too!  LOL).

All I know at this point is that the new revision will, I believe, totally replace the current NIV and TNIV.  I don't think you will be able to buy them after the revision comes out (at least, once the current stock is gone from stores, I don't think they'll be making more). 

There was a HUGE issue over some of the gender-neutral language of the TNIV (such as changing "man" to "human being" or "person"), though the TNIV did also have other changes that I preferred over the NIV. 

This time around, I believe the translators are going to be reconsidering the entire gender neutral issue (probably just re-examining the verses to be sure no theological point was changed), and, I'm sure, doing a complete revision of the translation as a whole.

Other than that, I don't know much about it.  One critic of the TNIV is going to be part of the new revision, so he, at least, thinks it has promise. 

I think it will be interesting to see where the revision falls in the translation style spectrum I mentioned before.  Will it stay optimal equivalent, or will it swing a little more literal or dynamic? 

Martin

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »
Suzi - have "you" made a decision as to what One Year Bible we will be doing in 2010?  DH gave me a GC so I am ready to buy one  ;)  I definitely want a kindle version and need structure to keep with it.
Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »
Suzi - have "you" made a decision as to what One Year Bible we will be doing in 2010?  DH gave me a GC so I am ready to buy one  ;)  I definitely want a kindle version and need structure to keep with it.

I don't feel it's my place to be telling people what to read. That is such a personal matter. From the comments I have heard so far, I think the majority will be reading Max Lucado's Grace For the Moment One-Year Bible. For a change of pace, I'll be reading that NIV Chronological Bible that I linked to at the beginning of this thread. I don't know if anyone else will be doing that one. It is not available for the Kindle.

What I will be doing is I will have a thread for both of those Bibles, Lucado's & the Chronological one. I haven't heard anyone saying they will be reading the one we are currently reading again for 2010. If there are any who will want to read that one-year Bible again, I can have a thread posted for comments on that one too.

Even though I am not doing the Lucado one-year Bible for 2010, I still own it on my Kindle and intend to participate in the discussions that come up.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 12:26:28 PM »
but but but Suzi - I think of you as our "leader" or "mod" or whatever!  And it's not telling us, it is suggesting!  ;D

Guess I'll go with Max's since the chronological is not kindelized, yet.  I'd love to see that one on the kindle.
Dona

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
but but but Suzi - I think of you as our "leader" or "mod" or whatever!  And it's not telling us, it is suggesting!  ;D

Guess I'll go with Max's since the chronological is not kindelized, yet.  I'd love to see that one on the kindle.

For the Kindle the Bible I would suggest would be Max Lucado's One-Year Bible. It looks like a wonderful book. He has such enthusiasm for God's Word. And it is a bit of a change from the one we did this year.

For me, I want to learn a bit more and I think I will learn a lot from the chronological Bible. I already have it sitting on the coffee table under my Kindle. My habit is after dinner I have a cup of tea or hot chocolate (or a bottle of Yahoo!) and do my daily reading then. I'll just grab that book instead of my Kindle. It is a one-year Bible and so it starts with January 1st & ends with Dec. 31st. I'm interested in learning the order of things. Also it will be interesting to see when David wrote all his psalms. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Sendie

• Qawra, Malta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
Will it be too confusing to read both? 

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
Will it be too confusing to read both? 
I don't think so.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
Suzi - you will have to keep us posted on some of the more interesting time lines!
Dona

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 09:58:56 AM »
This Klub sounds very knowledgeable about the Bible.  I would like to be able to read the Bible in a year or less and have tried different versions over the years and have not been able to keep up with my ADD attention span.  My favorite book of the Bible is Ecclesiastes if that tells you anything about myself.  I really enjoy the philosophical natures of it. I also like to be practical in my purchases, so a really good one year bible that is good for taking to church and/or study would be nice as well. I'm not looking for people's personal perspective on the Bible, but more of an extremely learned study.  I've come across some doozies in my time that are highly biased. I wonder who published them.  I'm looking for a very true and accurate translation.  I do hope you all can help me.  I've searched the Kindle store and felt as though I'm searching in not only a foreign language but an alien language.
Life is like a toilet paper roll: the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
Welcome onanothernote, I personally found I could do the One Year Bible on the kindle, never was able to continue it with other types of books.  Several of us have found The One Year Bible, New Living Translation printed by Tyndale and have used that version in 2009.  Some of us are going to do Grace for the Moment: A 365-Day Devotional Journal by Max Lucado for 2010, I will reserve judgment about this until I get more into it.  I also like Halley's Bible Handbook with the New Internal Version by Henry H. Halley. 

There are a lot of other books, kindle and otherwise, suggested throughout this area, so it is up to you to determine what suits you best. 

I know some others will pop in with their ideas and opinions for assistance.
Dona

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »
Thanks Anju.  My Kindle2 came today.  I was expecting it yesterday, but today will do.  I have a Sony 505 and like the idea of prices available at the Kindle store and library books from Sony.  I'm going next week to get a library account at a regional library near by to access Overdrive for my Sony.  I've discovered via the Kindle 3G map coverage that I'm not covered at my house, but the Kindle says that I have a signal, though it comes and goes.  I spent quite sometime today downloading the 49 books I already downloaded since I ordered it on Sunday, mostly free or under a dollar.  I just picked up the samples of those you suggested to see how they are but they haven't showed up on my Kindle yet.  I'll give it sometime as I do live in a rural area and have come to learn patience with just about everything I do.  I'll check out everyone's suggestions and see what I can handle and the flow of the books.  Besides ADD, I'm dyslexic, so that does put a bit of a spin on reading and my comprehesion.  The Bible has been one of those books that has been hard to tackle, a bit like chiseling away at a brick with a toothpick.  I keep trying though.
Life is like a toilet paper roll: the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
Hello, onanothernote!

Two e-readers!  You are all set!  :)  I used to have PRS-500 but it was involuntarily "donated" to somebody else.

If you have poor 3G reception, I suggest you download books through your computer (I assume your internet connection is much faster than what you get on the Kindle).  Once the books are on the computer, you can connect the Kindle to the computer through the USB cable and just drag and drop the books into the Documents folder on the Kindle.

By the way, one fun part about owning the Kindle is hunting for freebies and bargains.  Typically, the freebies do not stay free for long (unless they are PD books uploaded by Amazon).  So, there is an adrenaline rush when you snag something and then see the price going up.  For example, I got the Halley's Bible Handbook that Anju has mentioned for free a while ago.

If you are into details, you may enjoy The NET Bible with 60,000 translation/study notes!  It's a modern fresh translation where the translators (mostly from the Dallas Theological Seminary) describe in detail what is going on in the original.  The notes for one word sometimes take pages!

http://osnovapress.wordpress.com/2009/12/12/net-bible-first-edition-with-all-notes-and-direct-verse-jump/

Unfortunately, the NET Bible with its notes would take a long time to read.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:27:35 PM by osnova »

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »
I'm not looking for people's personal perspective on the Bible, but more of an extremely learned study.  I've come across some doozies in my time that are highly biased. I wonder who published them.  I'm looking for a very true and accurate translation.  I do hope you all can help me. 

onanothernote,

I'll be glad to try to help you, too.  I do need more information on what you mean, however. 

You say you aren't looking for "people's personal perspectives on the Bible, but more of an extremely learned study."  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.  Any study Bible, learned as it may be, is going to be in part based on people's personal perspectives.  The notes in study Bibles are the perspectives of scholars and pastors (depending on the Bible) over time.  Perhaps you could explain in more detail what you mean.

I do agree that some Bibles have notes that are more biased than others, but with any study Bible, you are going to get some bias, as people will always come from their own points of view.  That is why we must all (myself included) be constantly reminding ourselves that the text of Scripture is what is inspired, not the notes by scholars. 

As far as a true and accurate translation, there are many out there that fall on a spectrum of translational methods.  If you haven't yet, you can refer back to an earlier post of mine (in this thread, I think) on that issue.

In the literal group, the New American Standard Bible - Update edition is very good, though sometimes a little "stiff" in its language.  The New King James Version is also pretty good, as well as the English Standard Version (though it leans a little more Reformed/Calvinistic in its translation on occasion, but this is a minor issue).

Two translations are often called "optimal equivalent," as they try to strike a balance between literal and dynamic.  These are the New International Version and the Holman Christian Standard Bible. 

In the dynamic category, the New Living Translation second edition is more toward the middle (a little more literal), while the New Century Version is quite easy to understand and is more dynamic, and closer to the paraphrase end of the spectrum. 

All translations and translation types have strengths and weaknesses.  I would encourage anyone to have at least one from each "category" (literal, optimal, and dynamic) to read and compare; so maybe have the NASB, NIV, and NLTse.  They will help you grasp the meaning better that way, and they can act as a corrective to the shortcomings of each other. 

I believe that most of the translations mentioned above are available on Kindle in some form. 

I hope this helps a little.  If not, let me know how I can help you more; actually, everyone here is very helpful, and we have formed a nice little "community" I think. 

Martin

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »

I downloaded a sample of this & it looks VERY interesting!!! The downsides are two: (1) It costs $26.72! (2) It is not separated into 365 readings, so that the book can be easily read in a year.

But that being said, it looks VERY interesting!!! I will be keeping it on my radar to see if the price goes down.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »
WOW Suzi - be sure and let us know if the price ever does come down.  I'd even pay 9.99 for that  ;D
Dona

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
This Klub sounds very knowledgeable about the Bible.  I would like to be able to read the Bible in a year or less and have tried different versions over the years and have not been able to keep up with my ADD attention span.  My favorite book of the Bible is Ecclesiastes if that tells you anything about myself.  I really enjoy the philosophical natures of it. I also like to be practical in my purchases, so a really good one year bible that is good for taking to church and/or study would be nice as well. I'm not looking for people's personal perspective on the Bible, but more of an extremely learned study.  I've come across some doozies in my time that are highly biased. I wonder who published them.  I'm looking for a very true and accurate translation.  I do hope you all can help me.  I've searched the Kindle store and felt as though I'm searching in not only a foreign language but an alien language.

Welcome, onaonthernote! The two Bibles mentioned at the beginning of this thread are both really nice one-year Bibles. They are in a translation that is very easy to understand. This year we read the One-Year Bible, Tyndale version. I really liked how instead of describing Noah's Ark in cubits, they rendered it in feet, measurements I could understand. I found the translation very easy to read & follow. Each day's reading takes only about 15 minutes to read.

This is another Bible research aid that I think you would find interesting:

I would suggest you download a sample of it; I think you would find it informative & helpful.

For 2010 I won't be doing my one-year Bible from the Kindle. I'll be reading the chronological Bible mentioned at the beginning of this thread. But I plan to read the Halley's Bible Handbook along with my daily readings. If you download a sample you will see that the studies go from Genesis to Revelation with study articles on everything imaginable.

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
WOW Suzi - be sure and let us know if the price ever does come down.  I'd even pay 9.99 for that  ;D

I will definitely let everyone know if this comes down in price. For now, I'd recommend that you download the sample -- IT IS HUGE!! You will find it very interesting! I'm thinking that if it ever comes down to $15 I will grab it faster than you can say "Chronological Study Bible!"   :D

Offline bitsy55

• East Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm a new Kindle owner....and I would like to join the group. I have the chronological Bible listed in the original post.  But I would also like to have one for my Kindle and follow along with the group.

How inspiring to find this group here!  I was thinking earlier today that I needed to either get my non Kindle chronological Bible out or look for one on Amazon so I could start in January.  And as I was searching the board I found this group!

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm a new Kindle owner....and I would like to join the group. I have the chronological Bible listed in the original post.  But I would also like to have one for my Kindle and follow along with the group.

How inspiring to find this group here!  I was thinking earlier today that I needed to either get my non Kindle chronological Bible out or look for one on Amazon so I could start in January.  And as I was searching the board I found this group!

Hi Bitsy! It's so nice you found us. We will be starting the one-year Bible again on Jan. 1st. Most of the group will be reading the Max Lucado version mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Download a sample; I think you will like it!

I will be reading the chronological Bible this year, but will still be participating in the discussions for the Max Lucado one-year Bible that most will be reading.

You will be surprised. It only takes about 15 minutes out of your day to do the daily reading! It's nice having this group here. We encourage each other when we are tempted to slack off from our daily readings.  :D

Offline bitsy55

• East Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
Hi Bitsy! It's so nice you found us. We will be starting the one-year Bible again on Jan. 1st. Most of the group will be reading the Max Lucado version mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Download a sample; I think you will like it!

I will be reading the chronological Bible this year, but will still be participating in the discussions for the Max Lucado one-year Bible that most will be reading.

You will be surprised. It only takes about 15 minutes out of your day to do the daily reading! It's nice having this group here. We encourage each other when we are tempted to slack off from our daily readings.  :D

Thanks for the welcome Suzanne!  I'm looking forward to being part of the group!  I know the encouragement and accountability will be a huge help. 

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »

I downloaded a sample of this & it looks VERY interesting!!! The downsides are two: (1) It costs $26.72! (2) It is not separated into 365 readings, so that the book can be easily read in a year.

But that being said, it looks VERY interesting!!! I will be keeping it on my radar to see if the price goes down.

I was able to look inside this Bible on this site:

http://www.christianbook.com/nkjv-chronological-study-bible-hardcover/9780718020682/pd/020682?item_code=WW&netp_id=526605&event=ESRCN&view=details#curr

Click on Additional Views under the picture of the book.

Looking inside, I saw that in my opinion it would be easier & more convenient to read this one in DTV rather than on Kindle. It reminds me of the ESV version of the study Bible which I take to church with me on Sundays. I have it on Kindle but it is too cumbersome a read on Kindle. My paper version which I take to church, I can read the scriptures and if I want to, glance down at the footnotes & little articles that are on that particular page. That is what this Bible reminds me of.

I will probably purchase it (and from Amazon because I believe it qualifies for free shipping) but I'll be purchasing it in the paper version. If it comes down to $9.99 I will also get it on my Kindle.

I do like having my ESV study Bible on my Kindle. If I am away from home & I want to delve deeper into a scripture, I can turn to that. I find that very handy. But for day-to-day use, I like the paper version better.

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »
MWVickers...I should probably tell you a bit about my Christian journey.  I grew up in a very hypocritical church where walking the walk and talking the talk, were two separate and not equal identities, especially if you were a member of certain families in my small, rural, religiously conservative Georgia community.  No matter what denomination you are in, this was always the case as families ran churches, not church organizations.  Church doctrine was usually shaped by those families instead of the Bible.  That is what I mean by people's personal interpretations of the Bible.  I soon realized that these same people searched out Bible study materials that suited their methods and what bits didn't they substituted or created as they went.  I know there will always be some level of this element in whatever church I attend, no matter the denomination I attend and pray about.  I seek understanding from the Lord's word not around my Earth desires as what I saw being done as I grew up.  I also grew up with the knowledge of only one version of the Bible, KJV.  I know have the NIV Zondervan study bible, but find that one to also to a reference tool.  I don't mind the language of KJV and even my copy of the 1611 KJV.  I hope this helps you to understand about me wanting to seek out the most open and unbiased version of works as possible.  I know people have a troubles with being completely objective when writing about religion and making Bible studies.  I just want to seek out those that are.  I have seen some doozies in my time, though I don't remember their names.  Any guidance towards unbiased, faithful, interpretations of the Bible in One Year or the Chronologial that you all keep mentioning are welcomed.  I will be checking out those mentioned.  I did check out the Handbook and found it to be informative.  I'm just kicking myself for not snagging it for free.   :-\