Author Topic: 2010 Bible  (Read 50916 times)  

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Bible
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »
Oh my word, onanothernote, you really have been through the mill as far as religion is concerned. I think the one-year bible book klub will be a true blessing from God for you (and everyone else!). We encourage discussions, not discourage them!! If God wanted us to be mindless robots, He would have made us so. Instead He gave us our marvelous brains and I think He expects us to use them.

One thing I love about our klub here is that during 2009 we had some in-depth discussions on some matters that could have gotten very ugly. But everyone showed Christlike love & respect for others and the discussions were very interesting and beneficial.

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
Given that man was the last of God's creations, God took his time in perfecting things thus waiting to see that things were good before moving to the next of his creations.  That, in a way, is evolution, just not Darwin's.  God did see that the thumb was a great creation from his creation of the whole monkey (sapien) species.

Understand I'm not attacking you when I ask this, but doesn't that almost seem to make it out that God kind of "experimented" with His creation?  The Bible seems to show throughout, however, that God always knows exactly what He is doing.  When it says God "created" the different animals, it seems to imply something instantaneous, not progressive, doesn't it?

He did create them first as animals of the land. I believe that he took the best attributes of all of his creations and gave them to man and then to his ultimate creation, WOMAN (a feminist at heart).  That is our link to the rest of God's creations, which explains our genetic links and the links of all others.  With each creation of God's the next was even greater until woman.  At least I like to think of that way, which is why we are the givers of life and nurturers of all of the human race.  ;D

I am not a feminist, but neither am I a masculinist.  I am an egalitarian when it comes to the sexes, I guess.  Both are equal, with different roles.  I believe this is Scriptural.  Humans as a whole were the pinnacle of God's creation (man and woman); it wasn't that woman was the crowning achievement.  Both man and woman were; but then, they even fell.  

Where does it say that those days are consecutive, as in one week, without a lapse in between for determining that things are good?

Again, not everyone agrees that they were.  There are several views.  Are they literally 24-hour days, are they literally days (with no clear definition of how long), or is the whole thing figurative in some way?  If we take them literally, then yes, they are consecutive (first, second, third, etc.), and there is nothing there to indicate any lapse in between.  So, they would either be consecutive 24-hour days, or consecutive undefined periods of time, but the only way to get beyond that is to take it figuratively, I think.

This is what I have questions about.  How much time elapsed in determining that things were good?

As stated above, there doesn't seem to be any lapse in between days (however you define those).  

Who are we to impose our Earthly limitations upon God?  God made the limitations for man to rest on the seventh day or put the creation of Earth in terms that man could understand at the time when he revealed it to Moses for rendering in the word.

I don't think anyone is trying to impose anything on God.  We are all trying to understand what God said and meant.  In doing so, we have to look at the text, and try to take it as straightforwardly as possible to determine as accurately as possible what the original writer meant (Moses) and what the original hearers would have understood.  

I have much to learn as my questions and probing have gone unanswered for so long.  I have been told not to question nor to even suggest such things, such was against God.

Well, the attitude of the heart matters, of course.  If you are purposefully trying to question God, then that is "against" Him (though I'm sure you aren't doing that).  But if you are merely trying to understand Him and His word better, that is actually for Him, not against Him.

I do hope to learn and probe much into the Bible. Please don't take anything I ask and say in a mean spirit, but of an inquiry spirit.  I often play devil's advocate so I can get a full view of all sides just so nothing is left unexposed or pondered, even if I don't agree with it I will still ask and represent that side to gain full understanding.  I learned how to do this when I was doing policy debate and as a forensicator in college and high school.  I learned that all things have two sides of the story and must be understood. Tolerance is best left for mother-in-laws, not other cultures or peoples for which understanding is best which requires full learning.

I actually see a lot of myself in the quote above.  I gained an interest in apologetics and studying these issues so I could better understand all sides and be able to provide good, reasoned answers to questions such as these.  I know exactly how you feel.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:25:43 PM by mwvickers »

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »
Insert Quote
Quote from: onanothernote on Today at 09:05:50 AM
Given that man was the last of God's creations, God took his time in perfecting things thus waiting to see that things were good before moving to the next of his creations.  That, in a way, is evolution, just not Darwin's.  God did see that the thumb was a great creation from his creation of the whole monkey (sapien) species.

mwvickers said:
Understand I'm not attacking you when I ask this, but doesn't that almost seem to make it out that God kind of "experimented" with His creation?  The Bible seems to show throughout, however, that God always knows exactly what He is doing.  When it says God "created" the different animals, it seems to imply something instantaneous, not progressive, doesn't it?

I'm just as to the reasoning to waiting to determine on God saw that they were good.  So if God saw that they were bad, would he have scratched them and started over.  He is all knowing, so that leads us into the eternal debate that from the beginning of the creation of Adam and Eve he knew they were going to fall from Grace even before he created them, so did he know they were good.  We could debate that forever and a day, along with all of his omnipotence even about us, but I digress.  Even before he made his creations on the first day he knew they were good, so why pause to determine they were good, even for a moment between days.  I sometimes do wonder because of his all knowing abilities, if things don't come off as an experiment of sorts.  I am reminded of an episode of the Simpsons where Lisa has a school project that she creates a bacterial petri dish.  This dish turns out to be a bacteria colony that see her as their god, their creator. She is torn between them as her experiment and them as her creation.  This thought reminds me again of the story of Job and all the discussion between God and the Devil as if they are sitting back and watching Job from the outside and moving him about like chess pieces.  My faith tells me otherwise, but the similarities to the story and a game of chess are quite striking.  I have no doubt in my mind that God knows what he is doing at all times even before he is going to do it and before we are going to do it.  Even when God created the different animals it was instantaneous, he could have still determined that those animals possessed vital characteristics that he wanted in man.  He could have been planning this all out well in advance before he did it.  Who knows, he could have a book somewhere with all of this wrote down titled "How I created the Earth".  Being the geniuses that he is, he could have just had all the keys, links, kinks, quarks, and faults systematically worked out so that in the twinkling of an eye they came to be.  These things may never become apparent to us right now or in the future.  The days question will also be another one of those kinks that man may never be able to get worked out.

Yes, Suzanne I have been looking for a place where asking questions would be seen as acceptable and not heretic.  I'm not questioning God but the people around me who translate his word because their interpretation doesn't appear to be in line with the Bible especially when they prove no or little link to the Bible with only a line of text or a piece of a line for justification for their reasoning. I don't feel this is questioning God, but questiong those who claim to be of God.  Then egos and pride gets in the way. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and boy do people around here have a heavy dose of it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:34:43 PM by onanothernote »
Life is like a toilet paper roll: the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »
Then egos and pride gets in the way. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and boy do people around here have a heavy dose of it.

Around here as in kindleboards?  Or around here as in around where you live?  LOL

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
I appologize....around where I live.  Sorry.  I should be specific to location as to the place where I live and the virtual discussion place.  This is true.
Life is like a toilet paper roll: the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
I appologize....around where I live.  Sorry.  I should be specific to location as to the place where I live and the virtual discussion place.  This is true.

LOL I knew what you meant when you said it and have a feeling most others did too.  :D

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2010, 06:12:59 AM »
LOL I knew what you meant when you said it and have a feeling most others did too.  :D

Indeed.  I was just joking.  Sorry if I came across differently.

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »
Martin I got the LOL part...I just get caught up in disucssing things and forget to differentiate between the two places.  I tend to write like I'm conversing with people instead of formal writing.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
well I "live" on kindleboards  ::)
Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
FWIW, I've decided that I'm going to keep doing devotionals and studies with a less-than-1-year commitment.  I'll be starting tomorrow with Life Lessons Study Guide: John by Max Lucado, which I think may have been one of the ones that onanothernote mentioned earlier.  I'd be happy to discuss it if anyone else is reading it!
Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Friend me at Goodreads

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
So far so good on my Bible study.  I'm doing two actually, but one has not arrived yet, so I'm doing one and will catch up on the other.  The first is www.chronologicalstudybible.com with their Bible and using this page to track my progress and the features to keep notes.  I'm also doing The Daily Bible 365 days of Chronological Bible http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Bible-F-LaGard-Smith/dp/0736901248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1262462278&sr=8-1 I also purchased Haley's Handbook.  It will arrive with The Daily Bible most likely on Monday I pray.  My grandmother always jokes about Methuselah's father, Enoch, being the oldest man in the Bible because God took him before he could die.  I guess this is true since he never did die and technically still lives on.  Technically Methuselah was the oldest man to physically die in the Biblical days.  The readings have been short thus far and more of a tongue twister because of the names.  I wonder if there is a site for audio of the name pronunciations.  I'm terrible with names.

Offline Lynn

• Lake Wales Florida
  • Member #356
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
Here is another site that has reading plans for the bible- you can choose what you like (chronological, daily Ot and Nt)and also the translation you like. It has a search engine for verses and keywords. I saw a link at the bottom for an audiobible so I guess if you knew the  verse you could get specific pronunciations- but I have not tried it.

www.biblegateway.com

Lynn L
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:15:43 AM by Lynn »

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
I just bought Upper Room Disciplines 2010 for my kindle.  I've been using the 2009 one and was going to go through it again, since I started it a few months into 2009, until I realized that the 2010 is available.  I'd looked at it in the books section and it didn't show it as being available for kindle, but when I searched in kindle books it was there.  I like these devotions a lot.  There are various writers, most of whom write for the week.

http://www.amazon.com/Upper-Room-Disciplines-2010-ebook/dp/B0032FPXSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1262849498&sr=1-1

Here's a picture that links to the paperback version:

New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
Here is another site that has reading plans for the bible- you can choose what you like (chronological, daily Ot and Nt)and also the translation you like. It has a search engine for verses and keywords. I saw a link at the bottom for an audiobible so I guess if you knew the  verse you could get specific pronunciations- but I have not tried it.

www.biblegateway.com

Lynn L

Oh, I like that www.biblegateway.com. It's such a nice site. That is the site I use when I quote scripture, but I hadn't noticed the reading plans. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• North Riverside, IL, USA
  • Joe Chiappetta, author of Star Chosen sci-fi novel
    • View Profile
    • Star Chosen science fiction novel and Silly Daddy comics
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
Yes, I like following study guides too. I have even made some of my own, for issues I needed help with. I have found that when I made my own study guides, that material was more memorable and even had a more actionable impact in my faith.