Kindle Forum banner

KBOARDS HORROR THREAD!!! (all kindle horror writers AND readers post here)

12K views 62 replies 36 participants last post by  William Meikle 
#1 ·
Okay - so first off - today, I discovered the OFFICIAL BOOK BAZAAR THREADOPEDIA. Never mind that it's been here the whole time - I just discovered it.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,15146.0.html

Cool, I said. A thread for each genre. There's your romance and there's your mystery and there's your science fiction and...

Wait a minute.

Where's the freaking horror?

Now - as most of you horror writers know we live in a bit of a socially-imposed ghetto. I mean - just think about it. How many times have you been asked - "So, what do YOU write?" - and you say "Horror." - and they say "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...you mean like Steven King?"

(And the people who ALWAYS ask that "...like Steven King?" question NEVER get the spelling right and don't ask me HOW I know that they are saying "Steven King" instead of "Stephen King" because it' s kind of like a pronunciation thing and it's kind of like an "I feel STEVEN KING vibes" sort of thing and it's sort of like a "Well, you just had to have been there" sort of thing.)

And then they sort of look at you like they've caught you playing with Cabbage Patch Dolls in the football locker room and they sort of slide a long slow booger of contemptuous loathing down the left hand side of the bridge of their nose in your general direction and say something like "Well, I actually NEVER read horror.".

You think about it. I know a lot of you erotica writers moan and groan regularly about being in the "ADULT DUNGEON" but we horror writers are at least about three or four thousand sub-sub-sub-basements below you erotica writers - AND WE FREAKING KNOW IT BECAUSE WE CAN HEAR YOU MOANING THROUGH THE CEILING OVER OUR FREAKING HORROR-WRITING HEADS!!!

So I dropped a message to Betsy and she was all sort of "Oh, it's one of you horror writers and did someone REALLY invite you to Kboards or did you bribe the security guard or just pole vault over the attack dog pen?" and she said she would look into it and then she got back to me and said "You know - I actually THOUGHT there WAS a horror-only thread but it's probably lying somewhere maybe hidden under a moldy quilt and so why don't you go and start a thread you nasty horror person you."

So here it is.

The K-boards Official REAL FREAKY BOOGA-BOOGA HORROR THREAD!!!

(even though I know that Ann or Betsy or Harvey are likely going to turn over the original KBOARD's HORROR THREAD right after I start this one - most likely hidden underneath a suspicious looking clump of cat doo-doo in the litter box belonging to Harvey's siamese cat Wilbur - third clot to the left and straight on until corny)

And - to start it off I want to tell all of you folks about a REALLY cool novella that I have written that involves a bitter suicidally-depressed ex-cop (maybe) who joins up with Coyote the Trickster to fight a genuine Scandinavian Troll in the heart of rural Nova Scotia.

The novella is called TROLLING LURES and it usually is priced at $2.99 but I have it marked down for this coming week at the low, low price of 99 CENTS!

Here's what folks are saying about TROLLING LURES.

"Trolling Lures is a campfire tale on speed, a heady cocktail of remorse, discovery and the quest for redemption, couched in equal parts bedtime story and fever dream. It is surrealism personified, and if you're into that sort of thing, Vernon has a treat for you." - Dark Scribe Magazine

"Steve Vernon manages to wrap up about six varieties of weird in this story. You've got a talking trickster god who likes to switch between being a coyote and a Mountie along with a couple of ghosts getting it on by a campfire. Yup, a little bit of everything happens in the Canadian wilderness." - Wag The Fox

"The story is wild; creatures and Gods make appearances along with reanimated corpses. Animals, real and imagined engage in violence that is horrific but serves the plot well. The story comes across as if told by a dying man hallucinating on morphine, think Alice In Wonderland as enhanced by Timothy Leary." - Horrorworld
I am REALLY excited because TROLLING LURES is currently sitting at - #15 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales > Folklore - (a category which was ALSO hidden beneath a Siamese Cat turd in the bottom a rummage sale leftover cat-poop box)

So go and buy a copy right now while it is cheap or I am just going to keep typing and typing and typing until my hands cramp...OUCH!!!

(edited to add a link to TROLLING LURES - some horror hustling salesman I am http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6081TW)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I'm Alex and I'm a horror writer.

I love weird stories, creepy weird stories, and I like to write them, and I will keep writing them, even when I write other genres (sci-fi/fantasy) some horror creeps into the story. I'm stuck in horror. Glued to it.

I would also love to peddle some work of mine. Look at mi signature, all my precious are lined up there for the taking.

My most recent addition is a collection of short stories about a medieval high born family and vampirism. It got even some romance (or some ill attempt of romance) in it, however my romantic scenes tend to end badly, with corpses and stuff. Not really romantic. Forget about it.

#3 ·
HAHA, Nice little introduction you made there, the old horror thread hiding underneath a moldy blanket... Such a vivid imagination I have. Although I have written horror, I don't have anything that is stand alone in kindle, but I do have a story in the Haunting Ghosts anthology which is located near the end of my sig.

Enjoy and thanks for this post :)

Shane

#4 ·
And we have here a masterful demonstration of Steve Vernon's fiction writing...  :eek:  ;D

But yes, welcome to the KB Horror thread (unless the pool boys clean up that pile of bat guano over in the corner and we find it there).

Just a couple of ground rules--don't spam your own book; be responsible. If you're running a free run, don't post about it more than once every free run.

These threads can be great places for genre writers and readers to hang out as well as places to post announcements about your books.  The romance thread is a good model.

Have fun and play nice with others.

Betsy

#7 ·
Shane Ward said:
HAHA, Nice little introduction you made there, the old horror thread hiding underneath a moldy blanket...
The bylaws of the Professional Quilters Guild require me to point out that there is a difference between a blanket and a quilt (Steve's exercise in creative fiction mentioned a quilt). There. My obligations as a professional quilter are met.
:)

Betsy

#8 ·
A. Rosaria said:
Are there enough horror writers to spam a thread? ;)
I write horror, and a load of other stuff besides. Here's where you can find out more:

My long-running website, richardsreality.com, has just been completely updated. There's a better Photo Gallery, a massively expanded Art Gallery with over a dozen new paintings and drawings by M. Wayne Miller and Steve Upham, a new interview conducted by award-winning author Ed Gorman, a complete list of my available ebooks, both from major publishers and self-published, and news of my latest novels and collections.
Huge thanks to Marie O'Regan for putting it all together.

#9 ·
Hey Tony - great to meet a fellow Edge author.

I really enjoyed that art gallery of yours. Wayne Miller does some freaking awesome work. He did a cover for me once on a Dark Regions project that another artist had fumbled the ball on - and in about two weeks Wayne came up with a cover that knocked my freaking socks of. A great artist - I'd love to work with him again!

I ever make some REAL money at this game I'm DEFINITELY going to have to hire him.

#10 ·
Steve Vernon said:
Hey Tony - great to meet a fellow Edge author.

I really enjoyed that art gallery of yours. Wayne Miller does some freaking awesome work. He did a cover for me once on a Dark Regions project that another artist had fumbled the ball on - and in about two weeks Wayne came up with a cover that knocked my freaking socks of. A great artist - I'd love to work with him again!

I ever make some REAL money at this game I'm DEFINITELY going to have to hire him.
He's terrific, isn't he? But then, so are all the other artists in my gallery. I love their work.

#11 ·
Ha, Steve (not pronounced with a 'ph') you're hilarious! Hey, I don't mind being in the horror ghetto. It's no worse than the gutter. And there could be much worse company than Stephen King.

I write primarily horror. That is, most of my speculative fiction falls well within the Horror By-Laws and Articles of Terror. Even my one metaphysical title ("Recode") and my one parable ("The Green Gyre") contains elements of horror. And the horror of my one non-fiction title is that I don't sell more of it  :mad:.

#14 ·
Saul Tanpepper said:
Ha, Steve (not pronounced with a 'ph') you're hilarious! Hey, I don't mind being in the horror ghetto. It's no worse than the gutter. And there could be much worse company than Stephen King.

I write primarily horror. That is, most of my speculative fiction falls well within the Horror By-Laws and Articles of Terror. Even my one metaphysical title ("Recode") and my one parable ("The Green Gyre") contains elements of horror. And the horror of my one non-fiction title is that I don't sell more of it :mad:.
"We are all in the gutter - but some of us write horror..." - wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said that?

;D ;D ;D

#15 ·
I love to read horror stories as autumn creeps in and Halloween approaches. The tradition for me dates back to junior high. I bought a collect called "Gooseflesh" from the "Teen Age Book Club" one October, and I was hooked.

Some of my favorites include "The October Game" and "The Emissary" by Ray Bradbury and The Lonesome Place by August Derleth.

#18 ·
SidneyW said:
Some of my favorites include "The October Game" and "The Emissary" by Ray Bradbury and The Lonesome Place by August Derleth.
I love Bradbury too ... one of my all time favorite writers. But his best story, in my opinion, is 'The Scythe.' It's a perfectly good dark fantasy tale that would still be at home in an anthology of American short fiction greats.

#19 ·
NIGHT SEA JOURNEY, A TALE OF THE SUPERNATURAL (demons, angels, psychological twists)
★★★★★ HELLHORROR REVIEW, 5-Thumbs Up "A page-turner … I loved it. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a great read, great writer, awesome detailed characters, demons, angels."
HORROR-WEB.COM REVIEW "Beautifully told. Cappa is a skilled writer producing beautiful prose with amazing imagery."

MONSTER LIBRARIAN "Supernaturalism and dream theory, told in dreamy colorful language, with deft characterizations. Highly recommended."

Buy Night Sea Journey http://www.amazon.com/Night-Journey-Tale-Supernatural-ebook/dp/B009ONWSC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350058974&sr=1-1&keywords=Night+Sea+Journey+paula+cappa

THE DAZZLING DARKNESS Haunted cemetery
GOTHIC READERS BOOK CLUB CHOICE AWARD WINNER
★★★★★ "Dazzling sums up Paula Cappa's paranormal/supernatural novel … an elegance and grace that seduces you."
Laura Thomas of Laura's Ramblin and Reviews
★★★★★ "Supernatural mystery/thriller laced with Gothic horror ... bold, fresh, almost poetic writing, I can honestly say, I was beguiled."
Wesley Thomas at Horror Novel Reviews
★★★★★ "It is riveting, and becomes an excellent game of whodunnit with unusual characters and creepy revelations weaved into the story."
Buy The Dazzling Darkness http://www.amazon.com/The-Dazzling-Darkness-ebook/dp/B00CJH944U/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367085830&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Dazzling+Darkness

Paula Cappa is a published short story author, novelist, and freelance copy editor. Her short fiction has appeared in Whistling Shade Literary Journal, SmokeLong Quarterly, Every Day Fiction, Fiction365, Twilight Times Ezine, and in anthologies Human Writes Literary Journal, and Mystery Time. Cappa's writing career began as a freelance journalist for newspapers in New York and Connecticut. Her debut novel Night Sea Journey, A Tale of the Supernatural launched in 2012. The Dazzling Darkness won the Gothic Readers Book Club Choice Award for outstanding fiction in 2013. She writes a weekly fiction blog Reading Fiction,Tales of Terror, on her Web site http://paulacappa.wordpress.com/

#20 ·
I cut my writing teeth with short horror stories (Nightmares, Grayson House) - and love, love, reading them.  The first book in the Steve Williams series is a hybrid between horror and suspense/thriller, so it's definitely in my blood.  :)

Stephen King (The Stand and IT), Dean Koontz (Hideaway) and George R.R. Martin (The Skin Trade) are some of my long standing favorites.

#21 ·
Tony Richards said:
I love Bradbury too ... one of my all time favorite writers. But his best story, in my opinion, is 'The Scythe.' It's a perfectly good dark fantasy tale that would still be at home in an anthology of American short fiction greats.
I love "The Scythe" - and Bradbury's collection OCTOBER COUNTRY is the collection of his that I reach for when ever I am hankering for some Bradbury prose.

#22 ·
I know y'all don't like venturing out into the rest of the forum--but did you know we have a current thread discussing horror as readers in the Book Corner?

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,164647.0.html

The last two posts, for example, would be perfectly appropriate there!
:D

No promotion, please, just discussion of books you've read!

Betsy

#24 ·
While I had read some juvenile horror as a young teen, my first real introduction to horror was Stephen King's "Carrie." I had been an off-and-on again reader and was just starting a long binge into Sci-Fi when a friend said I should check out this book by a new author. I suddenly was an addicted reader.

I devoured the book, unable to put it down until I finished it. Of course, I read everything that followed it. In fact, I'm re-reading "Carrie" now and feel some of the same thrill again.

Anyway, I hope this isn't spam (I'm not promoting myself, but other writers), but I'm with a small publishing house that specializes in horror. They have some great writers there. Dan Williams, Scotty Schrier, Catt Dahman, and Michael Bray along with others. If you're looking for some "horrible" reads, from zombies to vampires to scary fish tales. You may want to check them out:
http://www.jellingtonashton.com/index.html

--
R.J. Spears

#26 ·
Hi folks!

In my spare time I love to write and read horror. I know some people might scoff, but I love Stephen King. I've read almost all of his stuff and I've loved most of it. Currently going through his short story collections at the moment, as I've somehow got into short fiction recently! Put these collections off for a long time for some reason but I'm greatly enjoying them!

In the last year I've released two books - one a post-apocalyptic novel called The Wanderer and a collection of my own short stories called Wither. The Wanderer has done relatively well since I released it in January selling nearly 3,000 without advertising. Wither is a collection of short stories I've penned over the last few years which I plan to add to at no additional cost as and when I get more stories written (one currently being proofread for entry very soon!). I'm also in the process of writing a rather dark adult fairytale which I will personalise and give to my family as gifts this Christmas. The book will be illustrated by a very talented artists called Adam Clarke and I will be releasing it for general purchase in hardback in very limited numbers as well as for download via Amazon.

Anyway, it is a pleasure to finally become a member of the board (had a few problems with activating my account recently!) and I look forward to discussing and discovering many great books through my contributions here!

If you would like to find more information about my books you can use the following links to read up on them. Would be lovely if you were able to give either of them a read!

The Wanderer
Wither

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.