Author Topic: Held Editing Services: Your One Stop Editing Shop  (Read 81036 times)  

Offline bonbon foofoo

• I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Editor/Proofreader For Hire
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
Hi Tony,

I've increased my production rate and need a proofreader/editor with a reasonable rate (about .025-.003 cents per word) that I can work with on an on-going basis. I need a reasonably priced proofreader who also fixes small grammar and spelling errors. That is my ideal editor. 

I'm a little confused about what you charge. Do you charge per word? What do you charge for a 50k word novel? What do you charge for a 75k word novel? Is it the same rate? Will you edit steamy romance?

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
  • Writer, Editor, Word Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
I sent you a PM, Amanda.

"Shadow of the Indianapolis", by Tony Held". "Editor's Choice" for Issue #1 of "The Remnant Leaf":
https://www.theremnantleaf.com/single-post/2017/08/09/Fiction-No1-Shadow-of-the-Indianapolis

Need help with your book?  Try Held Editing Services.
www.heldediting.com

Offline BlairErotica

• View Profile
    • My blog on writing erotica
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
Tony can you clarify your combo deal for me. You do all of those for what length manscripts? I tried to go to the writerly link you gave but when it asked me to log in or create an account just so I could read the page, I hit back. I don't need to create YET ONE MORE account just to find out what the details are do I?

I would think they'd do it like stock photo sites. Browse all you want... create an account to buy.

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Dear BlairErotica:

My "combo pack" edit currently has no word limit to it.

"Shadow of the Indianapolis", by Tony Held". "Editor's Choice" for Issue #1 of "The Remnant Leaf":
https://www.theremnantleaf.com/single-post/2017/08/09/Fiction-No1-Shadow-of-the-Indianapolis

www.heldediting.com

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Editor/Proofreader
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
In this weekly thread bump I would like to give a shout out to our own Thomas Fincham.  I have been Mobashar's editor on his new Hyder Ali series of mystery novels.  Having always enjoyed a good whodunit, working with Mobashar has been an added treat. 

If you are looking for a new mystery series to try, I would recommend the Hyder Ali series.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:27:59 PM by TonyWrites »

www.heldediting.com

Offline finchambooks

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »
Thanks for the shout out, Tony!  I really appreciate it :)

As I've said before, Tony is both professional and excellent to work with.  I highly recommend him!

btw, THE SILENT REPORTER is currently FREE.  So pick up a copy and enjoy!

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
You're welcome, Thomas.  :)

How long will The Silent Reporter be offered for free?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:28:25 PM by TonyWrites »

www.heldediting.com

Offline finchambooks

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Just saw the post now, Tony  :(

The Silent Reporter
is currently perma-free but that might change in the future, so please grab a copy before anything changes  :D

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 05:59:03 AM »
Hi Mobashar,

Many thanks for the reply.
I went and got myself a copy.  :)

BTW: I still have plenty of open slots in my schedule at the moment, folks.  I welcome new clients.  :)

www.heldediting.com

Offline AngryGames

• Boise, ID
  • Stoner Fiction Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • AngryGames
Re: Editing by Tony
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
Just wanted to stop in and say that Tony is working on one of my books right now, and he's been very good about communicating with me. I am already bugging him to take on some more work. Everyone else is all booked up, but that's turned out to be a good thing (good editors are hard to find, and they tend to get booked up 4+ months in advance).

Travis Hill | Author Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Re: Editing by Tony
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »
Many thanks for the kudo, Travis.  :) 

www.heldediting.com

Offline S. Elliot Brandis

• View Profile
Re: Looking for an ace book editor?
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Hi Tony.
I'm writing and releasing a novel in four parts, outside of my regular series. I don't think my regular editor will have the capacity to take them on. I was wondering what your rate would be for a 20k word part.

S. Elliot Brandis | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an ace book editor?
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
Hi Tony.
I'm writing and releasing a novel in four parts, outside of my regular series. I don't think my regular editor will have the capacity to take them on. I was wondering what your rate would be for a 20k word part.

Hi,

Thanks for the query.  :)
I will be contacting you via PM with the details.

www.heldediting.com

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Re: Need A Book Editor, A Proofreader, Or A Ghostwriter?
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »
Just wanted to say I used Tony to proofread my Dark of Twilight book.  Super fast turn around, great communication, all around fabulous experience!  Highly recommend!

Thank you for the kudo, Kate.  :)

www.heldediting.com

Offline IvyRuth

• View Profile
Re: My Freelance Editing Services
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
ABSOLUTELY THRILLED!

Yes I'm thrilled. Tony just delivered his highly professional proofread of my book.  I have not had this level of excellent editing with previous editors. 

Without any reservation in any quarter I enthusiastically highly recommend Tony.

Ivy
(a grammatically challenged author)

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Re: My Freelance Editing Services
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
ABSOLUTELY THRILLED!

Yes I'm thrilled. Tony just delivered his highly professional proofread of my book.  I have not had this level of excellent editing with previous editors. 

Without any reservation in any quarter I enthusiastically highly recommend Tony.

Ivy
(a grammatically challenged author)

Thank you for the kudo, Ivy.   :)

www.heldediting.com

Offline MKP

• Montana
    • View Profile
Re: Held Editing Services (New clients get 10% off! :-) )
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
Erm... you charge $0.80 per word (found on your website)?!?! I do hope that was a typo meant to be "$0.08" per word? Otherwise we are looking at tens of thousands of dollars for editing...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:34:19 PM by Mikaela »
This Is How I Survive: 55%
They say that damaged people are the most dangerous, for they know they can survive. I had never thought of myself as damaged, though--just different. I guess they thought otherwise. They took me from my life and stole the air from beneath my wings. They caged me and studied me through bars, first asking questions and then resorting to beating information out of me. They found no answers, but I knew they never would. After sixteen years, I hadn't, either. They thought they could contain me forever. At some point, though, a bird must fly, and with the instinct of a wild animal combined with the will of a human, I would never stay in captivity. This is how I survive.

Offline MKP

• Montana
    • View Profile
Re: Held Editing Services (New clients get 10% off! :-) )
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
@Mikaela and rjspears:

I'm going to have a talk with the dude who transcribed those figures for me.  They are way off what I wanted them to say.  Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Update:

My figures were supposed to be:

$0.8 per word for proofreading

$0.10 per word for copy editing

$0.12 per word for in-depth editing

I've contacted the guy who made that goof while working on my site for me and let him go.

Your numbers still don't make any sense. Charging 10 cents per word would mean editing a manuscript of 100,000 words would cost TEN THOUSAND dollars. Also, firing someone for a "goof" that you repeated doesn't seem sensible, either. But, maybe that's just me...
This Is How I Survive: 55%
They say that damaged people are the most dangerous, for they know they can survive. I had never thought of myself as damaged, though--just different. I guess they thought otherwise. They took me from my life and stole the air from beneath my wings. They caged me and studied me through bars, first asking questions and then resorting to beating information out of me. They found no answers, but I knew they never would. After sixteen years, I hadn't, either. They thought they could contain me forever. At some point, though, a bird must fly, and with the instinct of a wild animal combined with the will of a human, I would never stay in captivity. This is how I survive.

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Held Editing Services: Over 100 Books Edited
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2015, 07:29:13 AM »
I apologize if any of the information in this thread is confusing.  Held Editing Services has undergone some major growing pains since I first opened shop in 2013.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:28:58 PM by TonyWrites »

www.heldediting.com

Offline editorusrex

• View Profile
    • darakaye.com
Re: Held Editing Services (UPDATED)
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 09:08:48 AM »
Don't jump on Tony; I see editors and authors alike get this wrong all the time.  Correlation does not prove causation, but most editors and authors were not math majors ;)

Tony, I imagine what you meant to say is that you charge:

$0.008 (.8 cents) per word for proofreading (So proofreading a 100k-word novel would be $800)

$0.01 (1 cent) per word for copy editing (So copyediting the same novel would be $1000)

$0.012 (1.2 cents) per word for in-depth editing (So in-depth editing of the same novel would be $1200)

That right?

This is a good opportunity to remind authors and editors alike that it's crucial to check your math to be sure you're on the same page.  When skimming websites, an editor who charges $0.025 matches your budget of .25 cents per word, but that's off by a factor of ten!

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
Don't jump on Tony; I see editors and authors alike get this wrong all the time.  Correlation does not prove causation, but most editors and authors were not math majors ;)

Tony, I imagine what you meant to say is that you charge:

$0.008 (.8 cents) per word for proofreading (So proofreading a 100k-word novel would be $800)

$0.01 (1 cent) per word for copy editing (So copyediting the same novel would be $1000)

$0.012 (1.2 cents) per word for in-depth editing (So in-depth editing of the same novel would be $1200)

That right?

Hi editorusrex:

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.  As I noted in my first post, my fees for proofreading now start at $400 USD while all other editing projects start at $500 USD, thus doing away with the "per word" confusion.

Your feedback is appreciated, though.  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:27:47 AM by TonyWrites »

www.heldediting.com

Offline editorusrex

• View Profile
    • darakaye.com
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 05:46:45 AM »
I guess my point was less about your personal fee schedule (though that is useful to know for authors) and more about sharing a word to the wise about a problem I've encountered often that was perfectly demonstrated in this thread--the surprisingly tricksy mistakes our eyes make when we're looking at fractional dollars and cents!

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 05:48:51 AM »
I guess my point was less about your personal fee schedule (though that is useful to know for authors) and more about sharing a word to the wise about a problem I've encountered often that was perfectly demonstrated in this thread--the surprisingly tricksy mistakes our eyes make when we're looking at fractional dollars and cents!

I appreciate that, thank you. :)  Fractional dollars and cents can--and often do--give freelancers like me a headache.

www.heldediting.com

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
Please Consult My Information Before You Query
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
FYI: please consult my information as to the genres I work with, my fees, etc. before you send me a query.  That will ensure we are on the same page from the get-go.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:02:28 PM by TonyWrites »

www.heldediting.com

Offline Don Donovan

• Panama
  • Crime fiction writer
    • View Profile
    • Don Donovan, Crime fiction writer
Re: Held Editing Services: Put Tony On Your Team!
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
FWIW, I'm hiring Tony for an edit on my upcoming novel, Renegades, the second entry in The Miami Crime Trilogy. I'm confident he'll do a good job.

Don Donovan | Website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac