Author Topic: FACEBOOK Newsfeed changes -- MERGED thread  (Read 1599 times)  

Online ibizwiz

• View Profile
FACEBOOK Newsfeed changes -- MERGED thread
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:58:22 AM »
Late yesterday, Facebook announced a major change in the structure and content of its Newsfeed feature. The official announcement is here: 

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/01/news-feed-fyi-bringing-people-closer-together/

I've done a quick scan of several of the "experts" on Fbk marketing, but the commentary so far is mostly panicky "OMG! What does this mean...?" talk.

The impact on publishers who use Fbk will be better understood soon. In the interim, I'll offer the following:

1  The change will place severe limitations on the utility of commercial (including author) page posts in generating "organic" traffic

2  The impact on paid advertising is unclear, but don't be surprised if your carefully targeted ads get more "play" in terms of impressions to your targeted audiences

3  Fbk has rapidly morphed into an advertising money machine, and there is no way these changes would be allowed to seriously change that direction, or lessen Fbk's revenue stream.

Net-net, for those with laboriously-developed author or imprint pages, this will likely be a blow in terms of audience-building effectiveness. Fbk is, IMO, subtly pushing "organic" marketers toward the paid alternative. It will put an even greater premium on Fbk advertising skills.

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
Re: Major changes in Facebook's Newsfeed are coming
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:28 AM »
"Organic" as in "free" exposure was never promised to anyone.

If you're using Facebook to promote your business, you should be buying ads.  Any other exposure is a bonus you should appreciate as a potentially temporary, good-while-it-lasts sort of free extra.

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:48:16 AM »
Another reminder that it's a good idea to not only have a mailing list, but learn how to use it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »

If you're using Facebook to promote your business, you should be buying ads.  Any other exposure is a bonus you should appreciate as a potentially temporary, good-while-it-lasts sort of free extra.

Thats always been my attitude to it, but if they start limiting how much time/space they make for commercial posts, then I assume we can expect to pay more for the slots there are.

Im guessing people have been complaining about the endless ads in their feed. I cant blame them for that, it was getting so bad I stopped looking at my feed altogether. Twitter is going much the same way. These click-ad moguls need to grasp ad space is finite, even if they can squeeze one more row or post in. The limit is in the eyes of the audience, not how much garbage you can slap out there and over charge for.

Its about time they stopped painting the world with ads were all learning to ignore. Its a brain thing. Once we recognize a pattern as not worthy of our attention, the brain auto blocks it. I dont even see Amazons product ad position anymore.

Meh, itll be interesting to see how it plays out, and if it kills the goose then everyone will find new ways, or another mogul will turn up. You know how it goes.

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
NY Times Article about Changes Coming to Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
There was an interesting article in the NY Times today about shifts coming to Facebook news feeds (TL:DR Friends and family posts are going to get more visibility.  Ads and publishers are going to be suppressed).  As much as it is going to suck for audience interaction, I'm only on Facebook for business reasons and I kind of like the thought of being free of it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/technology/facebook-news-feed.html?action=click&contentCollection=Europe&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
I'm guessing people have been complaining about the endless ads in their feed. I can't blame them for that, it was getting so bad I stopped looking at my feed altogether.

More likely because too many people simply post links to articles and Facebook's business model requires posts about user's lives to have data to sell their targeting to advertisers.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
More likely because too many people simply post links to articles and Facebook's business model requires posts about user's lives to have data to sell their targeting to advertisers.

Thats probably true. And there I was thinking they cared about the user experience. *hangs head in shame for being so naive*  ::)

Offline Brian Olsen

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Brian Olsen
Re: NY Times Article about Changes Coming to Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:34 AM »
I'm on Facebook constantly but have struggled to build any kind of meaningful author presence there. I'm okay with this, since I mostly use it as to connect with friends anyway, but I'm curious how the change will effect author advertising on the platform. I had some thoughts on taking another stab at Facebook ads but I wonder if it's worth the effort now.

Brian Olsen | website | tumblr | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Squeakers

• Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »

Then they must really hate me (on my personal page) because that's ALL I post, with my own post adding, "This is funny" or "This is interesting" lol. Nothing more.  :P

Book 1: 13%

Book 2 (was 1): 76%

Online ibizwiz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »

Exactly.

... Facebook's business model requires posts about user's lives to have data to sell their targeting to advertisers.

Yes, this. And more:

The internet economy is founded on three sources of revenue: sales of goods and service, fees from subscriptions, or advertising fees. The one point whatever billion free users of Facebook have, knowingly or not, opted in to an acceptance of advertising, with no restriction as to the type, kind, or quantity of ads the site wishes to sell in order to maximize their profit margins.

I am no defender of Fbk or any other business. My sole concern is to help inform hard-pressed authors who are relying on their Fbk author site to generate reader interest that can be converted into book sales.

As some know, my background in addition to economics training includes mathematical modeling, targeted marketing, (ad-supported) online business publishing, search engine development, and e-commerce. From that perspective let me try and explain what I'm 95% certain at least partially underlies this evolutionary change.

By making the Fbk "experience" more of a group-shared one (as opposed to the simpler interaction of a user with "pages"), Fbk is increasing its algorithmic ability to identify millions and millions of micro audiences with a high proportion of common "likes" and habits. This is essentially an automated way to generate the same kind of target audience an individual Fbk advertiser creates when she asks Fbk to make a list of "people like this".

Ah, but for Fbk, we're talking a continuous re-sorting of all the users -- compounded by cross-group shared tastes and likes, augmented by inferred base-location, news preferences, and a host of other factors used in precision targeting.

At a stroke (though it will take several years to fully mature) Fbk will be significantly increasing the value of a given user, as well as identifying how to reach her. Yes, I'm talking about selling users to advertisers. That's what targeted advertising requires, to be blunt.

Without going into more detail, I see Fbk being able to double or triple its revenue from present advertisers over the next 3-5 years, even without adding more customers, or members, for that matter.

It's simple, really. An advertiser has a basic choice: to pay $2 to $5 to "reach", say, 1000 people in the general population, none of whom probably have any interest whatsoever in seeing the ad, or to pay the same amount of money to engage 100 or so individuals who have exhibited characteristics and behaviors that a well-designed ad relates to.

Advertisers who are able to understand targeting will readily pay more per ad recipient when they know the person's tastes, age, gender etc align with the product, service, or book on offer.

Offline Annette_g

• View Profile
    • Annette Gisby Author Page
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
I'm not on it at all, so doesn't affect me in the least :)

Annette Gisby | website

Offline Not Lu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »
The change will be good for FB users because they'll see more of what their friends and family are interested in and less from business (and author) pages that don't cause engagement.

For authors, it appears that the key is to post content that your followers comment on. If you've got an engaged audience then it probably won't have a huge impact on your reach.

Offline Michele_Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 01:34:08 PM »
Is this another reason why having a reader group is a good idea because it will be even easier to get in touch with super fans that way, instead of via your fan page? Already it seems so hard to post things on the fan page and have readers see it, unless I boost. Well, I'm sure there are authors who get a lot of traffic on their fan page because LOTS of readers and they're fun (and I'm the definition of a boring, *sigh*).

Michele Mills | Facebook | Twitter

Offline mayatylerauthor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
From my experience, any change usually means authors will have to pay (more) for visibility.

Maya imagines. Maya muses. Maya writes.
Maya Tyler | Maya's Musings | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
    • Anna Drake
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »

That's all I do. I refuse to share details about my personal life online. I have an author page, but I don't post much there either. It mostly functions as a place for people who have read my books to visit to learn a wee bit more about them. I will "share" interesting posts I find that I think might be of interest to them. Otherwise, that's it. As far as using Facebook ads, I don't. They're way too pricey for me.

Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook

Offline northstar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
So what is the point of creating a page at all now?

Wouldn't it be better to just have a FB profile, allow following, and then post publicly anything that's writing related?

Because right now I follow a few author pages and never see any of their posts unless they pay (and sometimes not even then). If they created a profile I could friend or follow, I'd at least be able to see their posts in my timeline!

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
So what is the point of creating a page at all now?

Wouldn't it be better to just have a FB profile, allow following, and then post publicly anything that's writing related?

Because right now I follow a few author pages and never see any of their posts unless they pay (and sometimes not even then). If they created a profile I could friend or follow, I'd at least be able to see their posts in my timeline!

This is exactly what the new algorithms are supposed to prevent. Friends and family need to frequently Like each other's posts to remain identifiable as such, and perhaps FB has others means of figuring out who's who, but subject-related posts for the sake of feeding your own page will be deprioritised unless you're prepared to pay. Sure, you should probably continue to do so to keep your page fresh and relevant for anyone who deliberately visits, but the new algo's will keep those posts out of your follower's news feeds.
The problem is that some companies create hundreds of these posts a week to feed an organic audience and that's what FB is trying to reduce.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Online williammeikle

• Strong the force is...
    • View Profile
    • William Meikle
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
Given that right now on my page I'm being asked to "Boost this post for $23 to reach 0 people." I don't see how it can get any worse.

"One of the premier storytellers of our time" - FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND
William Meikle | Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Free ebooks

Offline okey dokey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »
Sigh !

Where is My Space when we need it?

I sure miss My Space

Offline mayatylerauthor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
Given that right now on my page I'm being asked to "Boost this post for $23 to reach 0 people." I don't see how it can get any worse.

Yikes!

Maya imagines. Maya muses. Maya writes.
Maya Tyler | Maya's Musings | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
Re: FACEBOOK Newsfeed changes -- MERGED thread
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 08:18:19 PM »
One more post then I'll go and try to write brand new words that have never been written before.

I love Facebook for personal use. FB changed my life for the better back in 2010. I wouldn't be the person I am today without it. :D

I do hate most of the changes they've made to it over the years. And their author pages suck, suck, suck!!! Not just because they're always trying to extort money from you, but cos their layouts are horrible now. So ugly and hard to navigate. Ugh!

FB groups are neat though. I get new signups for my authors group every day. They just keep coming. And I've never given Facebook so much as a ha'penny. I think its because when you're in a group FB shows which groups everyone else is in on the sidebar. I have no idea how well the group post notifications work, except I think everyone gets a notif when I post. Lately, my notifs have gone all wonky though, and not even I get notified when there are new posts in the group. Not sure what that's about. But new peeps keep joining anyway, so at least discovery that way still works.

Real forums are still better, IMO, for discoverability and navigation. I'd go start one, only I wouldn't have FB to pimp me so no one would come. Which is sad because I love forums. But FB groups are second best. Even though they still suck to navigate and they only let you have one pinned post and you can't bold or even underline stuff.

What was the point of this post? Beats me.... Ummm, everyone should try and start an author FB group or maybe do joint groups with other authors in their genre cos they're fun and FB will still pimp you for free? Okay, sounds like a good point to me, so let's go with that. Obey the wise and witty K'Sennia and go thou do likewise.

And now I'm off to write stuff, hopefully.

Byeeee

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
One more post then I'll go and try to write brand new words that have never been written before.

I love Facebook for personal use. FB changed my life for the better back in 2010. I wouldn't be the person I am today without it. :D

I do hate most of the changes they've made to it over the years. And their author pages suck, suck, suck!!! Not just because they're always trying to extort money from you, but cos their layouts are horrible now. So ugly and hard to navigate. Ugh!

FB groups are neat though. I get new signups for my authors group every day. They just keep coming. And I've never given Facebook so much as a ha'penny. I think its because when you're in a group FB shows which groups everyone else is in on the sidebar. I have no idea how well the group post notifications work, except I think everyone gets a notif when I post. Lately, my notifs have gone all wonky though, and not even I get notified when there are new posts in the group. Not sure what that's about. But new peeps keep joining anyway, so at least discovery that way still works.

Real forums are still better, IMO, for discoverability and navigation. I'd go start one, only I wouldn't have FB to pimp me so no one would come. Which is sad because I love forums. But FB groups are second best. Even though they still suck to navigate and they only let you have one pinned post and you can't bold or even underline stuff.

What was the point of this post? Beats me.... Ummm, everyone should try and start an author FB group or maybe do joint groups with other authors in their genre cos they're fun and FB will still pimp you for free? Okay, sounds like a good point to me, so let's go with that. Obey the wise and witty K'Sennia and go thou do likewise.

And now I'm off to write stuff, hopefully.

Byeeee

FB Groups?  Ha - watch this space - pretty soon you will have to pay to boost your group posts too or no one will see them.

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »
FB Groups?  Ha - watch this space - pretty soon you will have to pay to boost your group posts too or no one will see them.

I hope not, but it's definitely within the sad realm of possibilities. Oh well, guess I can go back to talking to myself again. :D

Offline The Fussy Librarian

• Des Moines, Iowa
    • View Profile
    • The Fussy Librarian
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »
I suspect what Facebook is going to do is assign lower priority to posting links to outside sites that don't immediately create a lot of engagement.  They're not going to put fewer paid ads in the newsfeed because that's how they make most of their money.

The idea that Facebook will somehow create a more "positive" experience is well, a nice notion, but pretty unlikely.

Jeffrey
Delivering ebook happiness daily.