Author Topic: Have you ever been scared to do research?  (Read 666 times)  

Offline Dave Renol

• NC
    • View Profile
Have you ever been scared to do research?
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
My current WIP deals with terrorists manufacturing sarin and VX gas weapons. Even though I'm writing fiction, I don't like to make stupid factual errors so I wanted to find out a bit about the process. I don't want to know how to make or deploy them, but I felt a bit of info would make the story sound more plausible.

With all the recent news about the widespread NSA spying on pretty much everything, I became very reluctant to do any 'net searches on the subject. I doubt I'll have anyone knocking down my door or anything, but it still made me hesitate to look things up. Has anyone else had this cross their mind?

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
Re: Have you ever been scared to do research?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
it's crossed my mind, and I've done those searches, but i've never had the MIB knocking on my door  :-[  Hopefully I don't need to knock on wood here.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »
I've never been scared to do research for fear of Big Brother. I'm sure my search history has me on some lists, if there are such things. I have, however, been intimidated by the scope of some research and afraid of what I might find on some topics. There are things I wish I could unlearn and unsee.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Uhm--yeah.

That time when I was researching various types of nuclear fuel and ended up with a whole batch of information on weapons-grade plutonium.

Oops.

Offline Edward W. Robertson

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Yeah, I've had to look up how to cause nuclear meltdowns, the floor plan of the Empire State Building, etc. But I wasn't gonna risk bad reviews just cause it might land me in an island prison somewhere!

Offline Greg Strandberg

• Missoula, Montana
  • Ask About Free Editing
    • View Profile
    • BigSkyWords
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »
Try writing some history books where you've got to get reputable sources that you actually list in your bibliography and footnotes.  I've got two books like that, but they sell hardly anything, so I'm not too anxious to put myself through those research hoops again.

Offline Debbie Bennett

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's website
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
Oh yes. I've researched the best way to blow up a prominent UK building - whether semtex (how much would you need?) or an RPG (how would you get hold of one?) would work better! And I'm always looking up firearms and drugs stuff... My browsing history is scary at times.

Psychological thriller/crime & fantasy writer

All ebook formats and paperbacks available.
www.debbiebennett.co.uk

Hamelin's Child currently FREE in most ebook stores
Rat Run coming soon ...

Offline Lloyd MacRae

• Canada Eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
Thought about the same thing when I was looking up plastic explosives for a book I'm working on. Did research on how much was used in the SS Cole bombing etc and you really do begin to wonder if someone would start to track you.

I also started working on a new book just before Snowden came out with his NSA spying stuff that you mention. I looked up stuff on Echelon, 5 Eyes and each organization and I'm going to release it for Christmas...maybe I'll be in Russia soon?

...if they got into Angela Merkel's cell phone it wouldn't take much to get into our computers :o

Now where is my tin foil hat?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:00:30 PM by E.L. MacRae »

Taking the world by storm...one story at a time.
Eugene Lloyd MacRae | Author Website | Facebook | Goodreads