Author Topic: TK's Google Play Uber-Post (Split out, now just GP)  (Read 184677 times)  

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Anyone know if the GP file will work in trackerbox? If it does, it doesn't matter how ugly it is only the numbers matter.

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
GP puts out a CSV file which is just as ugly in Excel as Open Office. Pretty stinky really.
Good to know. I almost broke down and bought Excel just for this until I figured out how to get it to open with Open Office. Glad I didn't waste the money.

Offline Gina Black

• California's Central Coast
    • View Profile
    • Gina Black
Good to know. I almost broke down and bought Excel just for this until I figured out how to get it to open with Open Office. Glad I didn't waste the money.

I'd think you could open it in Google Docs.

Adding my thanks for the writeup! I'm going to take a swipe at this sometime soon. I started to set up an account with them ages ago. I'll have to see where I left off...

Offline MindyWilde

• View Profile
    • Mindy Wilde
From another source I found some info to get your prices on Google to match Amazon.  I have been experimenting with it and it seems to hold up.  So here is a chart  for how how to get that 2.99 price on google and beyond.

Amazon Price = Input this price into Google

1.99 = 2.40
2.99 = 3.93
3.99 = 4.99
4.99 = 6.48
5.99 = 7.78
6.99 = 8.32

Hope this is helpful.

Mindy Wilde | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline scottmarlowe

• Rockwall, TX
    • View Profile
    • scottmarlowe.com
I think I've run into the usual problem with these retailers: My books are all there, but I can't find them unless I specifically search for them, which of course means readers have no chance of discovering them.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
I think I've run into the usual problem with these retailers: My books are all there, but I can't find them unless I specifically search for them, which of course means readers have no chance of discovering them.

Maybe rewrite your blurbs? I searched for mine using a couple of keywords and it came up OK.

Offline TK aka BB

• At my desk, yet not working.
  • Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
From another source I found some info to get your prices on Google to match Amazon.  I have been experimenting with it and it seems to hold up.  So here is a chart  for how how to get that 2.99 price on google and beyond.

1.99 = 2.40
2.99 = 3.93
3.99 = 4.99
4.99 = 6.48
5.99 = 7.78
6.99 = 8.32

Hope this is helpful.

Putting into OP!

TK

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels

1.99 = 2.40
2.99 = 3.93
3.99 = 4.99
4.99 = 6.48
5.99 = 7.78
6.99 = 8.32

Hope this is helpful.

Hey thanks!!! Now that I successfully got one book over there I might try a second.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline scottmarlowe

• Rockwall, TX
    • View Profile
    • scottmarlowe.com
Maybe rewrite your blurbs? I searched for mine using a couple of keywords and it came up OK.

Looks like I had neglected to put in Age Groups, so I did that and I'll give it some time to trickle down and see what happens.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
Looks like I had neglected to put in Age Groups, so I did that and I'll give it some time to trickle down and see what happens.

Bah missed that too.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile

1.99 = 2.40
2.99 = 3.93
3.99 = 4.99
4.99 = 6.48
5.99 = 7.78
6.99 = 8.32

Hope this is helpful.
You are awesome. Time to go back over to Google Play and readjust prices.  :P

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
None of mine will go live   :(  they all say there is a problem with pricing. Does anyone know if you have to have your bank account validated before the books will go live? My bank hasn't shown the test deposit yet so I ccan't validate right now.

Offline scottmarlowe

• Rockwall, TX
    • View Profile
    • scottmarlowe.com
None of mine will go live   :(  they all say there is a problem with pricing. Does anyone know if you have to have your bank account validated before the books will go live? My bank hasn't shown the test deposit yet so I ccan't validate right now.

I haven't validated my payment info yet and all of mine are live.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
I haven't validated my payment info yet and all of mine are live.

Thanks, then I don't get it. All books have the GBP code as I am in UK and a price in numbers not words and the WORLD all in capitals. I have no answers from google and no idea what to do to fix it. Did you tick the incl tax box on the book price? Maybe that is it?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:48:47 AM by markecooper »

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
Thanks, then I don't get it. All books have the GBP code as I am in UK and a price in numbers not words and the WORLD all in capitals. I have no answers from google and no idea what to do to fix it.

I had the same problem but it sorted itself out eventually. Have you uploaded a lot of books? Maybe it can't cope with them all at once? Also, I put USD even though I'm in the UK (mainly because it didn't occur to me not to). Could you try that, perhaps?

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
I think I have found something that may fix it. In the account setting tab where the payment profiles are found. At the bottom where you choose territories WORLD there is a column that says payment profile. Mine was empty and the profile said inactive. I put my inactive profile in there and now it says active. The books are still in "need action" and not live, but maybe in an hour or so something might update.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
I had the same problem but it sorted itself out eventually. Have you uploaded a lot of books? Maybe it can't cope with them all at once? Also, I put USD even though I'm in the UK (mainly because it didn't occur to me not to). Could you try that, perhaps?

Thanks for the thought. I DID try USD etc, and lots of other things besides. I'll let you know if what I have done with the profile will work. I uploaded nine books. I won't try my box sets because I haven't got a pdf done of those and can't be bothered to mess with them now. Besides, adding 25% would make them so expensive I don't think it's worth the time.

BTW: using GBP looks better even with the added 25%. In USD the books would be $6.25 but in GBP they look better at 4.99 :)

Offline Lana Amore

• View Profile
It says "Unable to sanitze epub'?  What does that even mean?  It works in Calibre.  Will putting the Smashwords version in there work?

Blargh.

Edit:  Just re-read and used my D2D copies.  Sheesh, this was a headache inducing upload.  But it might be worth it!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:08:13 PM by Lana Amore »

Offline David Adams

• Canberra, Australia
  • David Dalglish's Kobold Minion
    • View Profile
    • The Lacunaverse
Gah. Well, I put in a good chunk of my catalogue. I don't have PDFs for most/any of my stuff so that took a fair chunk of time, but now they're either status "Unknown" (thanks, I guess?), Needs Action (Pricing information is missing or not applicable), or Needs Action (No content is currently live). For no reason I can determine, exactly one book (third in the series, go figure) is Live On Google Books, but not on Google Play.

So I have no idea WTF is going on.
Lacuna series novels:Fantasy:Bad fanfiction:Par. Romance:
Lacuna series updates: http://www.facebook.com/lacunaverse

Offline scottmarlowe

• Rockwall, TX
    • View Profile
    • scottmarlowe.com
Anyone know what uploading PDF versions gets us? I haven't yet, so just wondering if it's worth the effort since I don't currently have PDF versions ready to go.

Offline Rodeo Host

• View Profile
    • Romance Writer's Rodeo
I think I have found something that may fix it. In the account setting tab where the payment profiles are found. At the bottom where you choose territories WORLD there is a column that says payment profile. Mine was empty and the profile said inactive. I put my inactive profile in there and now it says active. The books are still in "need action" and not live, but maybe in an hour or so something might update.

Thanks for suggesting this. I am having the same issue- and found that I had a missing payment profile column as well. *crossing fingers* that helps.

I have only uploaded the one book so far. Figured I'd work the bugs out with this one first and then start adding the others...

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
Needs Action (No content is currently live).
This could just mean that your files haven't processed through yet. I had several that were in Needs Action for this reason, and within a day, the files processed through and the Needs Action message went away.

Offline Austin_Briggs

• Switzerland
    • View Profile
    • Austin Briggs
Oh well.

Needs Action: Payment information is missing or not applicable. Theres no way for me to enter the payment info: cant find it anywhere from any browser. Cant change Switzerland as my country to anything else, its grayed out. So Im Swiss forever for Google. The Customer Service isnt responding.

With Google, Im always afraid theyll just ban me if I keep bugging them or try to change something (they banned my AdSense account without any explanation years ago just after I installed it at my new authors blog, and never bothered to respond, explain or reinstate). A couple of times I tried opening new accounts, and their response was weve banned you once, youre banned forever. Ive no idea what I did wrong.

Offline Anne Frasier

• St. Paul, MN, rural Wisconsin
  • NYT author
    • View Profile
    • Anne's website
Oh well.

Needs Action: Payment information is missing or not applicable. Theres no way for me to enter the payment info: cant find it anywhere from any browser. Cant change Switzerland as my country to anything else, its grayed out. So Im Swiss forever for Google. The Customer Service isnt responding.

With Google, Im always afraid theyll just ban me if I keep bugging them or try to change something (they banned my AdSense account without any explanation years ago just after I installed it at my new authors blog, and never bothered to respond, explain or reinstate). A couple of times I tried opening new accounts, and their response was weve banned you once, youre banned forever. Ive no idea what I did wrong.

my brain is bleeding, but i think i finally got it. did you try logging in and out of google? then go to payment center and add payment profile.

Offline Austin_Briggs

• Switzerland
    • View Profile
    • Austin Briggs
my brain is bleeding, but i think i finally got it. did you try logging in and out of google? then go to payment center and add payment profile.

Thanks for the idea... tried that several times, from several browsers and from several computers... no luck.