Author Topic: TK's Google Play Uber-Post (Split out, now just GP)  (Read 187584 times)  

Offline kdarden

• View Profile
Amazing post - thank you so much! Now I need to go finish reading all the other posts in the thread...

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
Also - most of the things that you can change can take HOURS to actually impact anything. That happened to me. I had made all the changes and everything was right but still said inactive. I let it sit for a few hours and came back and it was magically active. The tool tips warn you it might take hours, but there is nothing on the screen that seems to indicate that the data is just not updated yet.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline David Adams

• Canberra, Australia
  • David Dalglish's Kobold Minion
    • View Profile
    • The Lacunaverse
All my books across all my pen names (that are not in Select) are now active. It took about two days. However...

- Lots of weird bugs. The colour of text is wrong (background colour set to white?). It looks ugly. Not sure how I can fix it. Might be a problem with my browser.
- Most books were discounted accurately, some were not. Some appear to be in AUD which is higher for some reason? Not sure how that happened.
- No idea how to check sales/download info. I downloaded all my free books on my tablet and they all appear to be working fine.
- Not all the Rakshasa series are showing up in searches (even searches on their exact titles, or in the 'also by the author' section), despite Google Play insisting they are live. No idea. Will wait a day or so then follow up.

Will keep waiting, see how this goes, but yeah. They haven't authorised my bank account yet either (the two transactions haven't come in) so I'm not sure how long I'm going to wait for that either.
Lacuna series novels:Fantasy:Bad fanfiction:Par. Romance:
Lacuna series updates: http://www.facebook.com/lacunaverse

Offline NerdyWriter

• View Profile
Hey everybody!

Does anyone know how to fix "error unable to sanitize epub" on Google Play after uploading your files. I'm using converted epub files from Calibre. Currently, I uploaded my books to Amazon, Barnes and Noble (save for the fact that BnN added html references in my Table of Contents, ruining some of the items, and I had to rename a few), and Smashwords (using a clean word doc.) just fine.

Thanks!

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Hey everybody!

Does anyone know how to fix "error unable to sanitize epub" on Google Play after uploading your files. I'm using converted epub files from Calibre. Currently, I uploaded my books to Amazon, Barnes and Noble (save for the fact that BnN added html references in my Table of Contents, ruining some of the items, and I had to rename a few), and Smashwords (using a clean word doc.) just fine.

Thanks!

I don't know that error, but you can get a list of epub errors in your file that you can fix with Sigil if you test it yourself here http://validator.idpf.org/

Offline calpub

• View Profile
Greg,

I had that error too.  If you have a Word doc file, try converting it with this:

http://www.2epub.com/

It solved the problem for me!

Offline Anne Frasier

• St. Paul, MN, rural Wisconsin
  • NYT author
    • View Profile
    • Anne's website
so far i haven't had a single sale, and i'm wondering if it's erotica that's selling there.  anybody else selling anything?

Offline MindyWilde

• View Profile
    • Mindy Wilde
so far i haven't had a single sale, and i'm wondering if it's erotica that's selling there.  anybody else selling anything?

Well I fall in that genre so I am not sure if my numbers will help.  I posted last weekend and had several hundred downloads of my permafree books over the week but not one sale.  Today I suddenly had ten sales.  Not sure what the rhyme or reason is but I will take them ;)

Mindy Wilde | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Anne Frasier

• NYT author
    • View Profile
    • Anne's website
Well I fall in that genre so I am not sure if my numbers will help.  I posted last weekend and had several hundred downloads of my permafree books over the week but not one sale.  Today I suddenly had ten sales.  Not sure what the rhyme or reason is but I will take them ;)

that's good!! makes me wonder if they are behind with their sales figures.

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
I've had close to 40 sales over there since uploading my books, but all of my sales have been of my erotica stories, so I can't really say how well it does for other stuff.

Offline NerdyWriter

• View Profile

I don't know that error, but you can get a list of epub errors in your file that you can fix with Sigil if you test it yourself here http://validator.idpf.org/

Thank you! I will try it and report back.

Offline NerdyWriter

• View Profile
Yeah, y'all can PM me.

I think I put most of what I know in this post. Took me a week to write. I'll try to answer anything else.

TK aka BB

Thank you for the informative post. I was wondering if I upload a cover jpeg, epub file, and a PDF, does the PDF need it's own cover inserted inside the document or does it share the one cover uploaded??

EDIT: I did it and I'm live. Kinda exciting.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:45:04 PM by GregFigueroa »

Offline scottmarlowe

• Rockwall, TX
    • View Profile
    • scottmarlowe.com

No sales for me (fantasy). My books only show up if I specifically search for them, so that might have something to do with it. :-)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of shelf space in Fantasy.

Offline Anne Frasier

• NYT author
    • View Profile
    • Anne's website
No sales for me (fantasy). My books only show up if I specifically search for them, so that might have something to do with it. :-)

Dang!

Offline NerdyWriter

• View Profile

So links inside your eBooks promoting your books is even more vital. The search is definitely not simple.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
New price point for you! I put my 4 book omnibus in at $15.99 and GP made it $9.99 (same price as it is on Amazon).

Vincent 

Offline TK aka BB

• At my desk, yet not working.
  • Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
New price point for you! I put my 4 book omnibus in at $15.99 and GP made it $9.99 (same price as it is on Amazon).

Thank you! Added it!

TK

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
btw: TK -- if nobody has suggested this so far....

I think you should package that first post into a 99 cent ebook.  I'd like to refer to this offline and though I can copy and paste and format it for myself, being able to one-click it at Amazon would certainly be worth a buck to me. (If you're worried about it going out of date, put a date in the title.  "TK's 2013 Author Strategy Guide for GoogPlay.")

Camille

Offline TK aka BB

• At my desk, yet not working.
  • Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
btw: TK -- if nobody has suggested this so far....

I think you should package that first post into a 99 cent ebook.  I'd like to refer to this offline and though I can copy and paste and format it for myself, being able to one-click it at Amazon would certainly be worth a buck to me. (If you're worried about it going out of date, put a date in the title.  "TK's 2013 Author Strategy Guide for GoogPlay.")
Camille

That's not a bad idea.

However, it's kinda only for my KB buddies, not the general author population.

TK aka BB

Offline Error404

• Wherever the inspiration leads
    • View Profile
...I know some of you are Google-phobic, so this is just my experiences.

A phobia is an irrational fear.  The terms required by Google are very real, and very frightening.

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
A phobia is an irrational fear.  The terms required by Google are very real, and very frightening.

Are these different from the terms of other vendors?

If so, maybe you should mention which terms people should should take a closer look at.  Not everybody reads the TOS or understands it, and not everybody interprets things the same way: so it can help to point out the issues you find troublesome.

Camille

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
When the Google Play terms were discussed a while back, the dealbreaker for me was that Googles reserves the right to run a credit check/report on you.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
When the Google Play terms were discussed a while back, the dealbreaker for me was that Googles reserves the right to run a credit check/report on you.

That is sort of weird, but over here, it's hard to sneeze without someone running a credit check on you. Mine's been run at least twice in the last few months.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
    • View Profile
    • My Novels

Other List to Get Prices to Match Amazon:

Amazon Price = Input this price into Google

1.99 = 2.40
2.99 = 3.93
3.99 = 4.99
4.99 = 6.48
5.99 = 7.78
6.99 = 8.32

Just FYI - I set my books to 4.99 on Google last night and it ended up at 3.82 instead of 3.99. :( I just moved it to 5.99 to see where that will put me. Maybe it is not as predictable as we thought?
Vincent 

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
Just FYI - I set my books to 4.99 on Google last night and it ended up at 3.82 instead of 3.99. :( I just moved it to 5.99 to see where that will put me. Maybe it is not as predictable as we thought?
This happened to me too.