Author Topic: TK's Google Play Uber-Post (Split out, now just GP)  (Read 184694 times)  

Offline TK aka BB

• At my desk, yet not working.
  • Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
Just FYI - I set my books to 4.99 on Google last night and it ended up at 3.82 instead of 3.99. :( I just moved it to 5.99 to see where that will put me. Maybe it is not as predictable as we thought?

This is all very YMMV. I'll add to the OP.

Since the usual discount is 24%, my calculations are (0.76)(x) = 3.99, so x = 5.25.

You should enter $5.25 to get a $3.99 final price, but that's based on logic and math, not Google's algos.

If the discount is 23% instead of the more usual 24%, then you should enter $5.18.

Hope this helps,
TK aka BB
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:37:24 AM by tkkenyon »

Online nico

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Cole, Historical Romance Author
I did not read the entire thread, so apologies if this was already covered.

I uploaded Elizabeth's books yesterday without PDFs and everything seems to appear fine in the Play store. Not sure what the purpose of the PDFs is, to be honest.

I also set the price of one book to $4.99 and it was discounted to $3.82 as the other posters already said. Tried changing it to $5.35, but i haven't seen it updated yet. Not sure how long price updates take to go live on the Play store.

Thanks TK for the awesome post and continued commentary.
(representing) Elizabeth Cole | author website | twitter | facebook | amazon | apple
Join "The Zodiac" and try Elizabeth Cole's books for FREE

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
That is sort of weird, but over here, it's hard to sneeze without someone running a credit check on you. Mine's been run at least twice in the last few months.

Here in Germany, credit checks are a big deal and if too many are run on you, this can seriously damage your credit rating, should you actually need a credit, so I would never consent to anything like that. Never mind that I suspect the German credit rating agency would probably tell Google to f**k off, should they try.

Offline TK aka BB

• Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
I did not read the entire thread, so apologies if this was already covered.

I uploaded Elizabeth's books yesterday without PDFs and everything seems to appear fine in the Play store. Not sure what the purpose of the PDFs is, to be honest.

I also set the price of one book to $4.99 and it was discounted to $3.82 as the other posters already said. Tried changing it to $5.35, but i haven't seen it updated yet. Not sure how long price updates take to go live on the Play store.

The purpose of the PDFs is for Google Books (vs. Google Play.)

TK

Offline britnidanielle

• View Profile
Thanks for an awesome post!

Uploaded two of my books last night after reading this. One is supposedly live, the other is not. Interestingly, the one that says it's live I uploaded a PDF, the one that isn't, I used an epub file from smashwords.

Also, although the live one is supposed to be live, I can't find it. lol. So we'll see.

Once again, thanks for an awesome post.

Britni Danielle | books | Facebook | Twitter | blog

Online Glynn James

• Glynn James
    • View Profile
    • www.glynnjames.com
The purpose of the PDFs is for Google Books (vs. Google Play.)

TK

I may be stating the obvious, but for anyone who doesn't know the difference between the two, "google play" is the online store (which is available for all android phone and tablet users as well as on the t'internet) and "google books" is their website book preview/search thingammy - that is here http://books.google.com/

The PDF is for google books (search/preview)
The Epub is for google play (the book actually sold)
The Book cover is used on both

Due to financial crisis, a picture is now only worth 200 words
Glynn James | Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
I may be stating the obvious, but for anyone who doesn't know the difference between the two, "google play" is the online store (which is available for all android phone and tablet users as well as on the t'internet) and "google books" is their website book preview/search thingammy - that is here http://books.google.com/

I thought Play was the apps thingy shop, and Books was the book shop online. Either way, it doesn't matter. I think everyone chooses both right?

Offline TK aka BB

• Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile

This is correct.

TK

Offline MeiLinMiranda

• Portland, OR
  • A gypsy queen in a fairy tale
    • View Profile
    • Meilin Miranda: Stories of Magic, Sex and Intrigue
How long on average does it take for Google to send the test deposit to your bank? I'm a-waitin and a-waitin.

Stories of Magic, Sex and Intrigue
MeiLin Miranda | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | Blurb Doctor
No F's to Give in 2014

Offline Nicole5102

• Guadalupe, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Smith Books
How long on average does it take for Google to send the test deposit to your bank? I'm a-waitin and a-waitin.

Me too! Even with TK's great OP, this is still confusing. Today they are saying I need a price, but I already put the price in there. Not sure what's up with that. And still no test deposit.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
This is all very YMMV. I'll add to the OP.

Since the usual discount is 24%, my calculations are (0.76)(x) = 3.99, so x = 5.25.

You should enter $5.25 to get a $3.99 final price, but that's based on logic and math, not Google's algos.

If the discount is 23% instead of the more usual 24%, then you should enter $5.18.

Hope this helps,
TK aka BB

FYI: $5.99 yields $4.61 so that is about 24% which matches your calculations. I am torn between leaving it there as shielding form them doing a larger chunk later and lowering it so that is the same as Amazon.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline KarenNZ

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Erotica & Erotic Romance Authors Unite!

Me too. Did all of the signing up etc last Thursday so it has been one week now. The guidelines say that it can take up to 10 days so I am assuming that is 10 working days. My bank is in N.Z and it has to go through a correspondent bank before being directed to mineso that can add a couple of days. Sigh.

I thought if I didn't see it by about Wednesday next week I would contact them about it. It does seem to be slower than other bank verification processes I have been through e.g PayPal.
Join my fun forum at www.eroticaauthors.org

Online nico

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Cole, Historical Romance Author
I found i needed to set my Google Play price to $5.18 to get a $3.99 price reduction. YMMV.
(representing) Elizabeth Cole | author website | twitter | facebook | amazon | apple
Join "The Zodiac" and try Elizabeth Cole's books for FREE

Offline Nicole5102

• Guadalupe, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Nicole Smith Books
Dropping by to say I sent two questions to their support and got back very quick answers that I could actually understand. Makes me happy ;)

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK

Mine was 5 days but I had a weekend in the middle and I'm in the UK

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Just FYI - I set my books to 4.99 on Google last night and it ended up at 3.82 instead of 3.99. :( I just moved it to 5.99 to see where that will put me. Maybe it is not as predictable as we thought?

Regarding prices. I had a moment of WTH too, but mine was more serious I feel because I started off using 4.99. In the US because of the way things work they were trying to peddle my stuff at $9!! So I did this WORLD, -GB and set the price at $6.48inc tax (which makes them sell at $4.99 same as amazon) and added a price for GB of 4.99 making them sell it at 3.99 same as amazon again.

Thank god for those little minus signs!

Kitten

Thanks so much TK for your uber post! I actually had set up a Google Play account ages ago and added a few of my books - the interface was much different back then - but I deactivated the account because I was worried about the price-slashing thing, and Amazon price matching.

I went back in and followed your instructions and added all of my fantasy books, and it worked well. I started over with the one fantasy book I had previously added because the old record was messy, so I was very relieved for your instructions on how to add things properly. It worked really well and I'm especially grateful for your information on what prices to put in. Your post was a huge help and I hope that I make some sales. Even if I just get some freebie downloads and a small amount of sales that's fine.

Again, thanks! :D

Offline Veronica Drema

• View Profile
Thanks so very much for your post! I used it to upload my series collection omnibus and after a day's wait, my book is now live up there. I priced it at $15.99 and it's for sale there for $9.99 just like it is everywhere else, so I'm happy. This post is why I lurk on the kboards. ;)

Offline bonbon foofoo

• I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for posting this. Posts like yours are one of the many reasons this forum is so awesome.

I've uploaded my one book that isn't still in Select, but I'm getting the same pricing error as other posters. I've been able to activate my billing profile, but I have an error about my email address not being verified. Not sure what that means because I've tried resending it to several different email addresses.

I've sent them an email. Hopefully, I'll join the ranks of new Google Play authors soon enough.

Offline Kiki Wellington

• View Profile
I'm so torn about trying GP, despite all of the wonderful information in this thread (thanks TK and others). Aside from the fact that the platform sounds super complicated, the whole pricing thing makes me extremely nervous. I keep thinking that GP could go back and further discount ebooks without you knowing about it, or that there will be some blowback when they figure out people are pricing things higher there to avoid an Amazon price match. Maybe I'm being paranoid (it does sound like erotica does quite well there), but I can't help but get nervous about this stuff. Hmmm....

Offline dalya

• View Profile
My only complaint is the lack of insta-reports, but maybe that's a good thing.

I've been raking in $10/day! WOOT!

Offline Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
Here in Germany, credit checks are a big deal and if too many are run on you, this can seriously damage your credit rating, should you actually need a credit, so I would never consent to anything like that. Never mind that I suspect the German credit rating agency would probably tell Google to f**k off, should they try.

Sounds like a healthy national attitude. I bet the average German household doesn't carry over $15,000 in credit card debt, which is the figure here in the U.S.

Offline Zoe York

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Zoe York, contemporary romance author
I'm still chipping away at the errors, but I was finally able to create a payment profile, so that's progress. :P

Offline SadieH

• View Profile
Thanks for this TK. I finally took the plunge. A couple of frustrating moments, but so far, it's gone fairly smoothly - way more smoothly than it would have if I'd had to figure this out without such great step-by-step instructions.

I'm sitting in limbo with the needs action - no content is currently live message. Hoping that's Google just precessing and no other action is necessary.

Sadie.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
Thanks for this TK. I finally took the plunge. A couple of frustrating moments, but so far, it's gone fairly smoothly - way more smoothly than it would have if I'd had to figure this out without such great step-by-step instructions.

I'm sitting in limbo with the needs action - no content is currently live message. Hoping that's Google just precessing and no other action is necessary.

Sadie.

This needs action is deceptive! Check over everything, if all looks good - close he window and comeback tomorrow. The web interface updates in real time, that is when you make a change it shows up in your window right away, BUT that is not true of the back end. It takes HOURS for the backend to catch up with what you did in the interface. That "needs action" often refers to some action you already took and once the back end catches up it will go away.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery