KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: TK's Google Play Uber-Post (Split out, now just GP)  (Read 187128 times)  

Offline Hildred

• Oregon
  • Are we having fun yet?
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
I also have seen GP be a huge seller for me since uploading my books mid-Oct. Within those last two weeks of the month, I had doubled my Amazon sales for the entire month. (Amazon is not my biggest seller though. It's actually third. Well, fourth now.) And I write in a tiny niche, but GP has significantly boosted my income.

I actually think the discounting (it's pretty easy to figure out what you should price to get the "right final" price) and the lower royalty go well together. Since I have to price my books up to make sure I don't get price-matched after discounting, I end up making the same (if not more) at GP than at other vendors. It all works out for me.

My biggest gripe is with the sales reporting. Like you mentioned, sales take up to a week sometimes to trickle in (but then it's like Xmas morning) which makes doing final month spreadsheet stats annoying as crud. I also hate that they separate all the countries in the spreadsheet. When you have over 30 titles like I do, two of them perma free, you end up with a huge mess of a spreadsheet. They also don't give you overall sales totals, just for specific books in specific countries.

But I am glad that I have GP a chance. Within a week I had completely taken over the lesbian best seller list.  :o (IT's more evened out now, but both of my permafrees are in the top few results, and my more popular paid titles are not far behind. It's awesome.)

Two Women. Twenty Years. Many Friends. One Love.
blog | facebook | twitter

Offline TK aka BB

• At my desk, yet not working.
  • Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile

Thank you for sharing, Hildred!

TK aka BB

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
It's pretty easy to figure out what you should price to get the "right final" price

How do you do it? :)
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline shel

• FL, USA
    • View Profile
Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing, TK!

Offline TK aka BB

• Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
How do you do it? :)

Trial. Error. Approximation. Re-try.

Discount seems to be about ~24% in most cases.

TK aka BB

Offline Nancy Beck

• NJ
  • Rest, my sweet Sammy (2000-12)
    • View Profile
Thanks SO much for all the info, TK. :) So glad it's worked out for you!

Hmm. Maybe I should start experimenting with a pen name I haven't used since early last year.
All also available at Smashwords.

ColinFBarnes

This is super useful, thanks for posting!

Offline Lionel's Mom

• Texas
  • and stupid stuff, it makes us shout.
    • View Profile
You don't even know how awesome you are for your step by step instructions.

I left google play with my head down and tears in my eyes about a month ago. It is so hard to understand!!

Thank you so much!  ;D ;D

Offline TK aka BB

• Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
You don't even know how awesome you are for your step by step instructions.

I left google play with my head down and tears in my eyes about a month ago. It is so hard to understand!!

Thank you so much!  ;D ;D

Their support takes a few days to get back to you, but they are very helpful and can usually figure out what you did wrong. Most of the time, they just fix it for you.

TK aka BB

Offline VydorScope

• USA
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
Their support takes a few days to get back to you, but they are very helpful and can usually figure out what you did wrong. Most of the time, they just fix it for you.

TK aka BB

Hope so.. just tried to put my free book back on it and its stuck!  :( I emailed them we will see how that goes...
Vincent 

Offline TK aka BB

• Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
Hope so.. just tried to put my free book back on it and its stuck!  :( I emailed them we will see how that goes...

If it says "unknown," it very well may be publishing. It can take 6-48 hours for a normal publish with no problems, depending on the load on the system.

Tk aka BB

Offline VydorScope

• USA
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
If it says "unknown," it very well may be publishing. It can take 6-48 hours for a normal publish with no problems, depending on the load on the system.

Tk aka BB

Says "needs action" - but the action it says it needs is "Book is not sellable in given region"

Region is WOLRD as you suggested. So not sure what to do with that.
Vincent 

Offline Austin_Briggs

• Switzerland
    • View Profile
    • Austin Briggs
Wonderful info!

But as I'm in Switzerland, looks like I can't publish... Gah. Maybe I'll need to select "Japan" as my Region, since I still have an old bank account there. I just hope Google doesn't go all-Japanese on me then.

It allows me to fill in most of the data, apart from price -- and I have to provide my own sales links. Looks like they want me to set up a store at my website and simply link it to Google Play? Argh.

Offline TK aka BB

• Motivational Picture.
    • View Profile
Says "needs action" - but the action it says it needs is "Book is not sellable in given region"

Region is WOLRD as you suggested. So not sure what to do with that.

I think there are 3 places that have to say WORLD, IIRC. Make sure there are no spaces before or after WORLD, and no quotation marks.

3 Places:
Book Catalog > Google Play Settings (top)
Book Catalog > Google Books Settings (top)
Payment Center > Sales Territories (middle of page)

Hope this helps,
TK aka BB

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
I was going to quote a portion of your post, but now I can't find it.  :P

Anyway, I'm guessing that adding keywords to your blurb is the key to getting found over there. I just put up over 100 titles on there a few days ago, hoping to reach this revenue fountain you've been speaking of. I did increase my prices by 33% to account for the discounting they do, which looks like a price gouge, by any means, considering I already charge more than most authors for my stuff.

Looks like I'll be spending a part of the morning back over there updating my listings with keywords. Hopefully this income ball will start rolling.

Offline mrv01d

• View Profile
Awesome!

I've been leery of GP due to their contract, however, the sales are definitely there, so I'm looking to run my books through a coop that doesn't mind the contract terms or has been able to negotiate out the more offensive clauses.

USA Today & NY Times bestselling author

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Google needs lessons from D2D OR KDP on how to allow book set ups. You need a degree to get it done! I want to set my two permafree books up. I figure google can't mess them up right? Wrong!  It keeps saying I have invalid pricing because I want free in WORLD. I don't dare mess up my amazon permafree because they are the only long term driver of sales that seems to work. Grrrrrr

Online ToniD

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
Thanks TK for sharing this info! And congrats on your success; well deserved.  :)

I've been avoiding GP because of the price-gouging and the difficulty in the setup process, but you've convinced me to reconsider.

Great post.

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
It's really not that hard to set up. If you're new to it, start by just putting one book in to see how it goes. Wait til that book is approved, so you'll know you did everything right, and then put your other books up. After about the tenth book I uploaded over there, I created a template to make it easier. The only time I get a Needs Action message is when the book content hasn't been approved yet, and that was on their end. It went away as soon as they finished processing my files. All in all, I haven't had any problem using them, and I uploaded over 100 books.

Offline Sally Clements

• View Profile
This is a fantastically useful thread, thank you so much for getting all the information together!
I'm in Ireland, so apparently I'm not welcome  >:( Is there any way of getting around this? I've emailed them to ask, and am looking all over the web for answers...

Sally Clements | blog | facebook | twitter | newsletter | website

Offline VydorScope

• USA
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
I think there are 3 places that have to say WORLD, IIRC. Make sure there are no spaces before or after WORLD, and no quotation marks.

3 Places:
Book Catalog > Google Play Settings (top)
Book Catalog > Google Books Settings (top)
Payment Center > Sales Territories (middle of page)

Hope this helps,
TK aka BB

Odd, I just looked at it and it is live. I did not change anything... guess someone over there got my email and fixed something?
Vincent 

Offline DRMarvello

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • The Vaetra Files
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and write such a comprehensive post. I know how much work that is. I'm bookmarking it for future reference. You *are* a rock star!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM by DRMarvello »

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
Thanks so much for this info. I'm going to read it more carefully then maybe I'll try dipping a toe in with one book...

Nicole Thomas

I'm already lost. I first uploaded my files to 'my uploads' on Google Play. Then I figured that wasn't right, so I removed them and tried to sign in to Google Books. All I get is a white screen with links for 'contact us' 'home' and such like that.

Which address do I want to go to in order to put books on sale? This should be simple, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which direction is the right one.

ETA: I found it. You have to join Google's partner program before you can upload books for sale.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:04:05 AM by Nicole Thomas »

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
Thank you. This is great info! I've bookmarked it. I wish there was a sticky thread option here for threads like this and some others, that could stay up top for easy reference. I'd give this post a gold star.  ;D