Author Topic: Kindle PW(2013) update 5.4.2 - GoodReads integration and Cloud Collections  (Read 60129 times)  

Offline wilsondm2

• Texas
  • Retro-Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Picasa web album
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:36:34 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Dwayne Wilson

If you understand, things are just as they are;
if you do not understand, things are just as they are.
                                                         --Zen proverb

Mycroft - my Kindle PW2
                                              Sherlock - my Nexus 7 FHD

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Paperwhite (2013) gets Goodreads update - 5.4.2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
I have so been waiting for this!! Finally organized!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201384530 takes you to the summary

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
  • 2015 Paperwhite | Kindle Keyboard 3G | Fire HD6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
Here's a link to Amazon's press release: Goodreads and Kindle FreeTime Now Available on the New Kindle Paperwhite

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 19, 2013-- (NASDAQ:AMZN)Amazon today announced a software update for the new Kindle Paperwhite that brings exclusive features including Goodreads integration and Kindle FreeTime. This free, over-the-air software update will be delivered automatically in the coming weeks, or you can visit www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates to download the software update starting today.

The new Kindle Paperwhite is already the best e-reader in the world, and were excited to make it even better with new features we think readers will love, said Peter Larsen, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. First, were combining the worlds largest e-reading community and the worlds largest community of book lovers with new Goodreads integration. Second, given the great customer response to our tablet version of Kindle FreeTime, were excited to extend this feature to Kindle Paperwhite, helping parents encourage their kids to read more.

Goodreads Integration

Goodreads on Kindle Paperwhite brings together the worlds largest e-reading community and the worlds largest community of book lovers. Join more than 20 million other readers on Goodreads to discover great books and have discussions about what youre reading. Features of the new Goodreads integration, available exclusively from Amazon, include:

• Share favorite passages with your Goodreads friends without leaving the book.
  • See what your friends are reading, read their reviews and discover new books to read.
  • When you finish a book, immediately rate it without putting down your Kindle.
  • Keep track of all your reading activityupdate your Currently Reading, Read, and Want to Read shelves directly from your Kindle. Easily add your Amazon book purchases, print and digital, to your Goodreads account.

See screenshots: www.amazon.com/kindle-goodreads.

Kindle FreeTime

Built-in parental controls have been extended to give parents a simple way to encourage kids to spend more time reading. Parents can set daily reading goals for their kids, hand-select books for their kids to read, and track progress against goals. Children earn achievement badges for hitting reading milestonesfor example, reaching and exceeding their daily reading goal, and passing big milestones like Read 1000 pages. A progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading, number of words looked up, badges earned and books finished. See screenshots: www.amazon.com/new-kindle-freetime.

Cloud Collections

Organize your books, newspapers, and magazines in customized collections for easy reference, and Amazons Whispersync technology synchronizes the collections across your Kindle devices and reading apps so theyre available on all of your devices.

golf
suspense
adventure
| Paperbacks | (golf books also available at Barnes & Noble, iBooks & Kobo)
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL --> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline 7vn11vn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
I just installed it and I now have free time, but there is no g in the menu to access goodreads like there is supposed to be. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline 7vn11vn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
This is bad. I only had 4 collections on my pw2, but now it's showing all my collections on my other kindle's, 7 pages of collections! Can I delete all these other ones without them being deleted on the other kindle's?

Offline history_lover

• CO
    • View Profile
    • Historical Readings & Reviews
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
I'm really disappointed this isn't available for the old Paperwhite. They added the PW software upgrades to the KT so why not this for the PW1? I refuse to be manipulated into buying yet another new Kindle and I don't buy the idea that the PW1 hardware couldn't handle the software upgrade. Nonsense - even the KK was capable of playing games and hosted other complicated apps without problem.

I've been a loyal Amazon/Kindle customer since the Kindle Keyboard (before it was even called the Kindle Keyboard) and I feel like Amazon are not just taking advantage of that instead of rewarding me. I realize all devices will eventually become outdated but the PW1 is barely more than a year old. Amazon has been criticized for a lot of things over the years but I've always given them the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore, there's no defending this choice. They just want to encourage people into upgrading their device and I'm NOT going to be suckered into it.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I am still hopeful they are working on a upgrade for the PW1 and that we get some of the features, or all. I'll give up on that hope if nothing happens by xmas.

I sure would love to have them.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
I've been a Kindle owner since the original Kindle and I'm still annoyed that they stop updating the K1. :D    But I think it very likely that some of the new features of the PW2 will be applied to the PW1.  Cloud collections would seem to me to be a likely candidate.  But then I'm not a programmer, so what do I know?

Manually installing the update on my PW2....

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
This is bad. I only had 4 collections on my pw2, but now it's showing all my collections on my other kindle's, 7 pages of collections! Can I delete all these other ones without them being deleted on the other kindle's?

Is this on the device itself, not the cloud?

Hmmmm...I'm not seeing any collections other than the ones I already had on my Kindle, even in my cloud, which is strange. I thought I would see the cloud ones I'd set up and have seen on my Fire. 

But the Goodreads integration is there.  (Which, frankly, as integrated on the Fire, I'm less than enthralled with.  When I reviewed a book on my Fire, yes, it did add it to my Goodreads account, too, but it didn't import the rating I gave it.  If it doesn't do any better than that on the PW, I can't see much use for it.)

I'm restarting my PW2 to see if that makes a difference.

Betsy

Offline 7vn11vn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
Is this on the device itself, not the cloud?

Hmmmm...I'm not seeing any collections other than the ones I already had on my Kindle, even in my cloud, which is strange. I thought I would see the cloud ones I'd set up and have seen on my Fire. 

But the Goodreads integration is there.  (Which, frankly, as integrated on the Fire, I'm less than enthralled with.  When I reviewed a book on my Fire, yes, it did add it to my Goodreads account, too, but it didn't import the rating I gave it.  If it doesn't do any better than that on the PW, I can't see much use for it.)

I'm restarting my PW2 to see if that makes a difference.

Betsy

Yes. It put all my collections from other kindles on my pw2, but not the books. Problem is, amazon says if I delete them off my pw2 they will be deleted off my other kindles and all the books will go back on the home pages. I put different collections on different kindles and now all the collection names show up on the pw2 with no way of deleting them without deleting them from the other kindles.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
OK, I think it just took a while..

I'm seeing everything, both in the cloud and on the device. :(

If I try to delete a collection, it says "This collection is synced across all your devices and will be deleted on all of them."

This is very poorly thought out.  Does not allow for different people using different devices.  I think there is going to be a fix for this.

Betsy

Offline Tabatha

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
You may want to check out the comments about this on Mobilereads forum as well as here.

Offline 7vn11vn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »
Thanks for checking it out. This is a very bad update. I've rebooted twice and I still can't even get the g on the menu so I have no access to goodreads. They need a fix quick or they're going to be flooded with complaints. We need a way to turn off cloud collections.  :(

Offline kansaskyle

• Austin, Texas
  • Fortitudine Vincimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I agree on poorly thought out.

I also don't see how my collections are synced across all devices unless they plan to release firmware updates on the other Kindle versions to get them to pull down the Cloud collections.

My main device now has collections from the Kindles my kids and bride use.  What a mess!

Offline kansaskyle

• Austin, Texas
  • Fortitudine Vincimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
Another thing I noticed is my main '_Reading' collection seems to have every book I've ever had in that collection over time.  Prior to the update, I had two books in there.  Now I have 122!

The non-active ones are grayed out, and it appears I have to download them and manually delete them to remove them from that collection.

Offline 7vn11vn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
For anybody else that has the no Goodreads problem I tried de-registering it and re-registering it and then the g showed up in the menu and I got access to Goodreads. I checked out Mobilereads and they are complaining about the collections as well.

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
  • ^ ...wish I was back here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
I suspected when the iOS version of cloud collections was such a mess, this one was going to be just as bad...but it sounds like it's even worse. For now, I'm leaving the PW2 on airplane mode, though obviously that's not a long term solution!

Any incremental improvements (or problems)? Faster, slower, text darker or lighter?
"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Suggest feedback to Amazon -- sounds like they definitely dropped the ball on this one!  I've not gotten the update yet, myself.  Not to concerned about it one way or the other, but still. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »
Using Kindle for PC and Kindle  for iPhone, I've been creating a lot of collections for organizing the cloud where I have a ton of books; but I didn't want all of those on my actual Kindles, where I only usually have about six collections.

And, normally, an account with a bunch of different Kindles would have different users, who presumably would want different setups on the physical Kindles.

I think this will be rolled back or updated really soon.

Feedback is an excellent idea.

Betsy

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
You may want to check out the comments about this on Mobilereads forum as well as here.

I'll leave that to others. ;D

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »
Using Kindle for PC and Kindle  for iPhone, I've been creating a lot of collections for organizing the cloud where I have a ton of books; but I didn't want all of those on my actual Kindles, where I only usually have about six collections.

And, normally, an account with a bunch of different Kindles would have different users, who presumably would want different setups on the physical Kindles.

I think this will be rolled back or updated really soon.

Feedback is an excellent idea.

Betsy

this!

I share with my brother but his device is older so I doubt it will ever get any more updates. . . . so it's not an issue in that sense.  But I was hoping I could do some more thorough organizing in the cloud and then just keep a few relevant collections on my PW. :(  As it is, I probably won't bother with the cloud much, except maybe for apps, because I don't want to make things on my PW unwieldy.

Interestingly -- the collections that appeared on my Fire included ones I'd long since stopped using and that were on devices I don't even have any more! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »
Here's how STOOPID (yes, I said STOOPID) this "update" is; I now have collections on my PW with zero items, because the books that are in those collections are NOT on my PW....

This is incredibily STOOPID.

And I've sent feedback to Kindle-feedback@amazon.com, and will probably also contact cs via email in case the feedback email no longer works.

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
Oh Oh.  If Betsy thinks it's bad, it's REALLY BAD! :o :o :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
Oh Oh.  If Betsy thinks it's bad, it's REALLY BAD! :o :o :o

Yeah, I don't expect most stuff to be arranged to suit me, and can deal with it.  But this is STOOPID.  
:o :-\ :'( >:( :(  :-X

Betsy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:04:32 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »
Yeah, I don't expect most stuff to be arranged to suit me, and can deal with it.  But this is STOOPID. 
:o :-\ :'( >:( :(  :-X

Betsy

And, I assume, you can not delete those collections from the PW without also deleting them from the Cloud collections -- where they're not extraneous because you do have actual books in them that are on other devices or none at all.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)