Author Topic: Kindle Fire HDX 7", Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" -- A Review from a Leading Tech Expert  (Read 9035 times)  

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
    • Official Author Site of Robert Stanek
My review of Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" is a work in progress. Before I get started, I must state that my review of these products is not an endorsement and should not be used as such and/or used without my express permission. The reason for this is that is in my day job I am one of the world's leading technology experts. Thanks for reading! My review of both products follows.

##

Kindle Fire was never my favorite e-reader product. Kindle Fire HD in particular was thick, heavy, and clunky compared to other similar products on the market. For watching movies/television and playing games it was an okay, if mediocre, device. The graphics, in particular, were inferior. Additionally, no Kindle Fire HD product actually displayed ebook graphics, such as those in children's picture books, in HD. The limitation came not necessarily from the device itself, but was a limitation of Kindle Fire 8 (KF8), which is Amazon's technology for formating ebooks.

Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" are very different products. They are leaner, meaner, and far superior to Kindle Fire HD. The displays are dazzling with the high pixel density you would expect on High Definition "X" devices. The Kindle Fire HDX 7" has a high quality 1920x1200 display with 323 pixels per inch, making the device a good choice for movies, television, and games. The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" has an impressive 2560x1600 display with 339 pixels per inch, making it an even better choice for movies, television, and games.

Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" have a powerful 2.2GHz quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM. This processor, called Snapdragon 800, lives up to its name. The processor is, in fact, a significant improvement over the clunky dual-core processor in Kindle Fire HD.

In addition to a powerful CPU, the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" also have a dedicated graphics processor (GPU). This is a first for the Kindle Fire line of products.

For those not familiar with graphics processors, graphics processors perform calculations required to quickly and efficiently render and display high-resolution graphics and particularly capture the "motion" in graphics. The lack of a graphics processor in Kindle Fire HD meant graphics were not displayed as fluidly as they could have been and that much of the movement and cinematic effects in movies and games was lost.

While Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" correct that glaring deficiency, a single graphics processor simply is not enough in the current marketplace and not necessarily enough even to match the claim of having "console quality graphics."

Amazon often compares Kindle Fire HDX to Apple iPad. However, the comparison is not an apt one. Apple iPads have had multiple graphics processor cores for multiple generations (and for many years). iPad2 has PowerVR (with 2 cores). iPad 3 has 4 GPU cores. iPad 4 has 4 GPU cores. iPad Air has multiple PowerVR cores. High-speed, high-resolution graphics on iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad Air are absolutely fantastic. The same is not true with Kindle Fire HDX.

The 323 / 339 pixel per inch displays are where Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" clearly shine as compared to Apple's iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air display (2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch). However, only the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" display is actually superior in terms of total pixels. Kindle Fire HDX 7" has approximately 745 million pixels in its display as compared to the approximately 830.5 million pixels in the Applei Pad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air display.

Also **apparently** missing from Kindle Fire HDX devices are accelerometers, gyroscopes, and Bluetooth support, which are included in Apple iPads and iPad Air. Accelerometers allow devices to know when you are moving, such as when you are in a car. Gyroscopes allow devices to detect changes in X, Y, Z position of the device and are used when playing games that allow you to move the device itself to control the game. And there are many devilishly useful ways accelerometers, gyroscopes, and Bluetooth are used in other devices.

At present it **does not appear** that any Kindle Fire HDX product actually displays ebook graphics, such as those in children's picture books or other illustrated books or magazines, in HD. The limitation once again comes not from the device itself, but is a limitation of Kindle Fire 8 (KF8), which is Amazon's technology for formating ebooks.

Apple, on the other hand, has supported HD-quality pictures in books and magazines ever since the iPad 2 was introduced many years ago and also provides an authoring tool, called iAuthor) that helps publishers and other content creators produce HD made-for-iBooks products. Although Amazon does have Comic Creator and Comic Creator does provide improved support for higher quality graphics, the resulting products are hardly HD.

There are several impediments to Amazon actually having HD-quality pictures in its ebooks, emagazines, etc. 1) A new format must be developed (or made known to developers) that allows for creation of true HD products. 2) Amazon must stop over-compressing and down-sampling the quality of images in products during its integration and pre-publishing processes. 3) Amazon must stop charging publishers per megabyte transaction fees for ebooks (when it does not charge comparable fees to game/movie producers). This latter point is as critical as the first two to success, especially when a 30 MB file would cost publishers $4.50 to distribute and that $4.50 would need to be passed on to you, dear reader, as a significant component of retail price.

Finally, when comparing prices, be sure to compare the $499 (base model) iPad Air to its closest Amazon counterpart: the $394 (base model) Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" Without Special Offers.

In summary, Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" are good products that represent significant improvements over Kindle Fire HD, but the devices are not necessarily comparable to Apple iPad 3, iPad 4 or iPad Air.

Thanks for reading. Hope you found this review in progress to be informative.

Best-selling author of books for young adults and adults.
Robert Stanek | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+ | youtube

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
My review of Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" is a work in progress. Before I get started, I must state that my review of these products is not an endorsement and should not be used as such and/or used without my express permission. The reason for this is that is in my day job I am one of the world's leading technology experts. Thanks for reading! My review of both products follows.

##

Kindle Fire was never my favorite e-reader product. Kindle Fire HD in particular was thick, heavy, and clunky compared to other similar products on the market. For watching movies/television and playing games it was an okay, if mediocre, device. The graphics, in particular, were inferior. Additionally, no Kindle Fire HD product actually displayed ebook graphics, such as those in children's picture books, in HD. The limitation came not necessarily from the device itself, but was a limitation of Kindle Fire 8 (KF8), which is Amazon's technology for formating ebooks.

Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" are very different products. They are leaner, meaner, and far superior to Kindle Fire HD. The displays are dazzling with the high pixel density you would expect on High Definition "X" devices. The Kindle Fire HDX 7" has a high quality 1920x1200 display with 323 pixels per inch, making the device a good choice for movies, television, and games. The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" has an impressive 2560x1600 display with 339 pixels per inch, making it an even better choice for movies, television, and games.

Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" have a powerful 2.2GHz quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM. This processor, called Snapdragon 800, lives up to its name. The processor is, in fact, a significant improvement over the clunky dual-core processor in Kindle Fire HD.

In addition to a powerful CPU, the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" also have a dedicated graphics processor (GPU). This is a first for the Kindle Fire line of products.

For those not familiar with graphics processors, graphics processors perform calculations required to quickly and efficiently render and display high-resolution graphics and particularly capture the "motion" in graphics. The lack of a graphics processor in Kindle Fire HD meant graphics were not displayed as fluidly as they could have been and that much of the movement and cinematic effects in movies and games was lost.

While Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" correct that glaring deficiency, a single graphics processor simply is not enough in the current marketplace and not necessarily enough even to match the claim of having "console quality graphics."

Amazon often compares Kindle Fire HDX to Apple iPad. However, the comparison is not an apt one. Apple iPads have had multiple graphics processor cores for multiple generations (and for many years). iPad2 has PowerVR (with 2 cores). iPad 3 has 4 GPU cores. iPad 4 has 4 GPU cores. iPad Air has multiple PowerVR cores. High-speed, high-resolution graphics on iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad Air are absolutely fantastic. The same is not true with Kindle Fire HDX.

The 323 / 339 pixel per inch displays are where Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" clearly shine as compared to Apple's iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air display (2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch). However, only the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" display is actually superior in terms of total pixels. Kindle Fire HDX 7" has approximately 745 million pixels in its display as compared to the approximately 830.5 million pixels in the Applei Pad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air display.

Also **apparently** missing from Kindle Fire HDX devices are accelerometers, gyroscopes, and Bluetooth support, which are included in Apple iPads and iPad Air. Accelerometers allow devices to know when you are moving, such as when you are in a car. Gyroscopes allow devices to detect changes in X, Y, Z position of the device and are used when playing games that allow you to move the device itself to control the game. And there are many devilishly useful ways accelerometers, gyroscopes, and Bluetooth are used in other devices.

At present it **does not appear** that any Kindle Fire HDX product actually displays ebook graphics, such as those in children's picture books or other illustrated books or magazines, in HD. The limitation once again comes not from the device itself, but is a limitation of Kindle Fire 8 (KF8), which is Amazon's technology for formating ebooks.

Apple, on the other hand, has supported HD-quality pictures in books and magazines ever since the iPad 2 was introduced many years ago and also provides an authoring tool, called iAuthor) that helps publishers and other content creators produce HD made-for-iBooks products. Although Amazon does have Comic Creator and Comic Creator does provide improved support for higher quality graphics, the resulting products are hardly HD.

There are several impediments to Amazon actually having HD-quality pictures in its ebooks, emagazines, etc. 1) A new format must be developed (or made known to developers) that allows for creation of true HD products. 2) Amazon must stop over-compressing and down-sampling the quality of images in products during its integration and pre-publishing processes. 3) Amazon must stop charging publishers per megabyte transaction fees for ebooks (when it does not charge comparable fees to game/movie producers). This latter point is as critical as the first two to success, especially when a 30 MB file would cost publishers $4.50 to distribute and that $4.50 would need to be passed on to you, dear reader, as a significant component of retail price.

Finally, when comparing prices, be sure to compare the $499 (base model) iPad Air to its closest Amazon counterpart: the $394 (base model) Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" Without Special Offers.

In summary, Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" are good products that represent significant improvements over Kindle Fire HD, but the devices are not necessarily comparable to Apple iPad 3, iPad 4 or iPad Air.

Thanks for reading. Hope you found this review in progress to be informative.
Robert--

I read your review with great interest, thanks for posting it.  Have you actually had hands-on experience with either device?  It doesn't sound to me as if you have?

Having both, I can assure you that they do have Bluetooth capability and that the Fires have had since the HD devices were released.

Also, you can definitely view children's picture books on the Fires.  There are many books in the Kindle library that can only be viewed on Fires (and on iPads/iPhones) because of the graphic requirements.  I post the Kindle daily deals most days here, and many times I have to post an advisory that a particular children's book is not available for those using eInk devices, but only for Fires or iDevices.

I didn't want anyone reading your review to be confused so wanted to point out at least these two things.

Best,

Betsy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:13:46 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
Robert--

Also, you can definitely view children's picture books on the Fires.

Great to hear you enjoyed the review, Betsy! I've had hands-on with both Kindle Fire HDX 7" and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9". As a technologist, what I'm looking for as far as full Bluetooth compliance may be slightly different than what the average reader looks at, but I did qualify originally in my review with the word apparently in double asterisks.

As far as children's picture books, I have over 100 picture book titles for Kindle Fire. It's not that Kindle Fires don't support children's picture books. It's that Kindle Fires don't support full HD quality pictures in books, magazines, etc.

Amazon has very tight (and largely unnecessary restrictions given current capabilities of the devices) on picture dimensions and file size when used in digital book products. These restrictions result in the picture quality being a) severely downgraded and b) fairly low quality. This is a software restriction largely from Kindle Format 8 and from Amazon's compression algorithms (used when digital books are uploaded).

Hope that helps clarify!

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Well, technically, I said I found the review interesting. ;)

The problem I have is that this is not a technical forum...it is a user forum, and I'm concerned that the way your review is phrased may mislead our members.  I'll admit I'm not into the technical details enough to be sure what "full bluetooth compliance is," but I know how to use my Fires and my Bluetooth devices.  I know that when I pick up one of my Bluetooth devices, I'm able to pair it with both my Kindle HDX7 and my Kindle HDX8.9--and that includes headphones, speakers and keyboards, the devices most often used by our members here. 

I've done end user computer support since 1985 and here on our forum since 2008 and know that statements as in your review will be very misleading, and so could not leave them without comment.

Betsy

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
Bluetooth is a wireless communication system that has various specifications. The current specification is Bluetooth 4.0. Bluetooth 4.0 incorporates three related Bluetooth technologies from previous releases of the technology, including a common core, Bluetooth low-energy, and Bluetooth high speed. A device can be said to be Bluetooth 4.0 compliant, but not actually support either Bluetooth low-energy or Bluetooth high speed.

As far as readers are concerned and as an avid reader myself, I am certain people buying a consumer product care whether the device they are using supports various technologies and to what degree those technologies are supported. What technologies are supported generally is of keen interest to consumers buying products.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Bluetooth is a wireless communication system that has various specifications. The current specification is Bluetooth 4.0. Bluetooth 4.0 incorporates three related Bluetooth technologies from previous releases of the technology, including a common core, Bluetooth low-energy, and Bluetooth high speed. A device can be said to be Bluetooth 4.0 compliant, but not actually support either Bluetooth low-energy or Bluetooth high speed.

As far as readers are concerned and as an avid reader myself, I am certain people buying a consumer product care whether the device they are using supports various technologies and to what degree those technologies are supported. What technologies are supported generally is of keen interest to consumers buying products.

Well, mostly they care if it works with what they already have.  I have 3 bt keyboards and the Fire works just fine with all of them.  So, that's all I need to know.  And, in fact, I've not seen anyone report here that they had a bt keyboard that didn't work. And if you're buying a new keyboard for the device, well, pretty much everything new-ish is going to work fine.  So I think you're making a distinction that is without a real difference.

Nor have I seen anyone complain that a particular children's book with pictures didn't look good enough.  In fact, the few I've checked out all look just great. Maybe they're not HD, but they're still very good quality.  Again: a distinction, without a difference.

Incidentally, there is also an accelerometer -- or, at least, the Fire will re-orient itself between portrait and landscape automatically, unless you turn that feature off.  I admit I've not tried any racing or flying games to see if they work.  But I know there are some such games available -- I think one or two have even come up as the "Free App of the Day" and show as compatible.  If they didn't really work well, the reviews will reflect that.  And if you don't care too much about those sorts of games anyway, it's not relevant.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Good catch, Ann.  The Fire line has had an accelerometer since the HD line, at least.  And I've not seen a single review of the HDX, except this one, that says it does not.  It also has a gyro.

One can review the specs here at the product page for the 7":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYQ9YE/?tag=kbkindleb-20
or here for the 8.9"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00DOPNLJ0/?tag=kbkindlea-20

In either case, scroll down to the section on Technical Details.

By the way, the KBAAD* today is will be a game where you tilt and move the Fire to aim the racing cart....

Betsy 

*KBAAD:  KBoards Alternate App of the Day.

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
Incidentally, there is also an accelerometer -- or, at least, the Fire will re-orient itself between portrait and landscape automatically, unless you turn that feature off.

You misunderstand the fundamental difference between an accelerometer and a gyroscope. An accelerometer interprets movement in terms of speed and velocity; a gyroscope interprets movement in terms of the X, Y, and Z position of the device.

The Amazon specifications you link to do not list these features. Once I verify whether included and to what level of standard, I will update my review.

As far as readers caring whether pictures in ebooks are of sufficiently high quality, I can tell you they care absolutely. I hear from readers all the time about the glaring difference in image quality between actual HD picture books and those that are not.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:53:58 AM by Robert Stanek »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
I'm not sure which post you are referring to, Robert...but no, I'm not misunderstanding a thing.  And I'm not sure why you couldn't find the specification I mentioned, but here's a screencap showing where it is located. Just scroll down the page at the link I provided earlier. I hope this helps.

I have serious misgivings about this review given the amount of misleading (in my opinion) and incomplete information (by your own admission "review in progress") that is in it.

I recommend that any of our members reading this look for other sources, for example our Fire Talk forum or other review sites before making their purchasing decision.

Betsy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:32:23 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
For the benefit of our members, I'm going to post some reviews by major tech sites of the Fire HDX.  The ones I've looked at have been quite candid about the pros and cons of the device.

http://reviews.cnet.com/amazon-kindle-fire-hdx-7-inch/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/7/5074194/amazon-kindle-fire-hdx-review-8-9-inch

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/amazon-kindle-fire-hdx-review/

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/amazon-kindle-fire-hdx.aspx

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/11/kindle-fire-hdx-89/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426742,00.asp

This isn't a tech site, but my hometown paper reviewed the HDX, so it gets added: :D

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/review-kindle-fire-hdx/2013/10/14/300487bc-34cd-11e3-8a0e-4e2cf80831fc_story.html

Hope this helps any members looking for more information. 

Betsy

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
Thanks, Betsy. I will continue to test these features. It's a matter of playing some games that use the features to test them out, and trying out the devices in a moving car. These tests will let me gauge effectiveness and responsiveness.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
I have worked my entire career in data communications.
Was the head of technology for a company known as the Source.
I say this to establish where my comments are coming from.
While some devices may (or may not) meet a complete technical specification (like the camera on the HTC one)  but if the tech used provides the purchaser (user) of the device with the features that they desire, then it meets the "spec", IMHO.
If my ereader/tablet communicates with bluetooth devices commonly used with such devices, I really don't care if that device can bluetooth with satellite dishes (for instance).  And I have written code to do x.25 and also to communicate with satellite dishes.
If my ereader/tablet displays a picture in breath-taking resolution (after all we are constantly told that you cannot tell the diff between 720 and higher resolution on a 32 inch television screen so what can you "see" on 7 inch screens? 
Anyway, I appreciate the technical review (opinion) that was given.  Found it very interesting and useful to ME.  I also believe that the HDX delivers incredible features and quality for the dollar spent, much like the HTC ONE (which I own).

just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Robert Stanek

• USA
  • Robert Stanek
    • View Profile
Thanks, Geoff!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac