KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 67607 times)  

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
    • The Case Files of Edgar Sullivan
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
If your modus operandi is to game something until you get caught, then by all means. But, just as there is no proof to suggest authors won't feel any pain for using these types of services to game Amazon, there's also no proof to support the opposite either (I guess the closest thing we have is the fake reviews fiasco?). One of those unproven outcomes could cost someone their publishing account, which may not be a big deal to you, but I'm sure other people would find that pretty devastating.

I don't think bringing up legitimate concerns and possibilities for an advertised service on this forum should be dismissed as "fearmongering." Especially when that service is being portrayed as something it's not.

Of course the possibility of getting banned is a big deal. But, like you said, there's no proof that Amazon will move to do anything. Heck, the fake review fiasco raised quite the ruckus, and last I checked, John Locke is still kickin'. I should sincerely hope that no author would get smacked with the ban-stick for trying this out. And I should hope that no author's reputation would be marred for giving it a chance.

But, you know, since we're discussing nebulous concerns and vague dread, I think I'll stay home today. The possibility exists that I might get hit by a bus. Or an Amazon drone.

Offline Blerch

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
I'm honestly surprised, from a business standpoint, that the business side of this didn't create a sign-up form for "real" people to sign up and get free book notices from.

Since we're working under the assumption that it's 10k bots doing these downloads, it'd be simple enough to operate with that to provide value to writers and marketers while creating a real list of email users, and create a Bookbub/BookGorilla competitor.

Seeing that huge of an opportunity being passed up makes me question the validity of this service as well. Especially since if they were doing this, there would be a lot less pitchforks and torches.

Offline CDForness

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:42 PM »
I don't think this operation is morally reprehensible if it is, in fact, an army of bots. But, as a service, if it's really just a ton of bots, then it's crap. So, no. If this turns out to be a bunch of hollow downloads meant solely to inflate ranks, then this sucks because it isn't actually leading to any meaningful connection with the thousands of readers it claims. If the first 10,000 downloads are bots and the rest are from ending high up on the charts, then that's pretty weak from a marketing perspective, IMO.

Why wouldn't an army of bots be morally reprehensible?  It's faking social proof, a la, fake reviews, in order to get your book to look more popular than it is.  It is not the same as asking your friends and family to spread the word...unless you somehow have 10,000 friends and family that you can coerce to DL your book.  Nobody has to make a decision via your blurb or the Look Inside feature, or to check your reviews because bots don't care.  Bots do what bots are told to do.  This service is not discerning, like Bookbub, which does not accept nearly everyone who applies and is willing to pay.  

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
    • The Case Files of Edgar Sullivan
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »
Why wouldn't an army of bots be morally reprehensible?  It's faking social proof, a la, fake reviews, in order to get your book to look more popular than it is.  It is not the same as asking your friends and family to spread the word...unless you somehow have 10,000 friends and family that you can coerce to DL your book.  Nobody has to make a decision via your blurb or the Look Inside feature, or to check your reviews because bots don't care.  Bots do what bots are told to do.  This service is not discerning, like Bookbub, which does not accept nearly everyone who applies and is willing to pay.  

The ethicality of the fake review thing has been discussed ad nauseum. Needless to say, while practically everyone (myself included) considered it absolutely scummy, it ain't a moral issue. Moreover, I might remind you that publishers have bought spots on top lists for many, many years. Are top publishers unethical for taking part in such business practices? Successful businesses manipulate markets all the time. I'm sure Amazon's pulled off a few doozies in their day, no?

At the end of the day, my personal opinions on the ethics of this whole thing don't really matter. If anyone would like to hear about my continued experiences with this promotion, I'll be glad to continue posting. If I get some nasty letter from Amazon, I'll most certainly post it. Otherwise, I'm bowing out of this thread. Dead horses and all that.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:00:09 PM by OJ Connell »

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
Is anyone else concerned by the different package options? So what if I want the lowest package? Does that email only go out to some of the list (which would make no sense)? Are those people then inundated with more emails because they're getting the offers of people who bought the highest package and people who bought the lowest package? Is the ad worded badly so fewer people download :P? I mean, seriously, if it's a legitimate email list, how is the number of downloads controlled? This is why it's weird to me that "guaranteed downloads" are being sold. With Bookbub and other email advertising services they can give you a range of downloads and average from their experience, but there's no way they can control the number of downloads.

We don't email the entire list for every single package. 2500+ package would conceivably get a much much higher final download number when all is said and done, especially for a permafree. Hope that helps.

Freebookservice stands to make a lot more money if they open up to us.

Considering what SRM said, it appears that even if i showed off every backend detail of my business, some of you would simply claim is some sort of "placebo"  ........
give us plausible deniability! Make a fake mailing list to satisfy authors and randomize your per-hour bot downloads
so really theres no point, unless I am mistaken.

I feel a little bad, seeing as how he's been very nice throughout this discussion and we've just kinda dog-piled him.

I think sometimes people forget theres a person behind the other computer and I feel more than a little attacked at the moment. :(

Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
Of course the possibility of getting banned is a big deal. But, like you said, there's no proof that Amazon will move to do anything. Heck, the fake review fiasco raised quite the ruckus, and last I checked, John Locke is still kickin'. I should sincerely hope that no author would get smacked with the ban-stick for trying this out. And I should hope that no author's reputation would be marred for giving it a chance.

But, you know, since we're discussing nebulous concerns and vague dread, I think I'll stay home today. The possibility exists that I might get hit by a bus. Or an Amazon drone.

Wow. Really?  ::)

So because some people don't share your cavalier attitude in regards to tarnishing and risking their brand over doing something that is pretty much 100% guaranteed to be against Amazon's ToS, it's time for dismissal and condescension? Yikes.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »

I agree that drastic action by Amazon against authors associated with a rank-manipulation scheme (if that's what this is) seems unlikely. But then again, we know from past experience that Amazon is unpredictable and quite sensitive to perceptions that its system is being gamed. If you lose your publisher's account, you're not getting it back (because there's no changing your social security number). If there's even a tiny risk of that happening, I think it's worth considering. No, I wouldn't not go outside for fear of being hit by a bus. But I also wouldn't lie down and sunbathe on the tarmac of a Greyhound depot.

ETA:
If anyone would like to hear about my continued experiences with this promotion, I'll be glad to continue posting. If I get some nasty letter from Amazon, I'll most certainly post it. Otherwise, I'm bowing out of this thread. Dead horses and all that.

Please do keep us posted on how the promo plays out, OJ. You too, Monique and Estelle. You guys are the only ones who can provide anything other than guesses, at this point.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:07:00 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
I think sometimes people forget theres a person behind the other computer and I feel more than a little attacked at the moment. :(

Hey, that's how we authors feel most days!  ;)  Welcome to the jungle. If you're not being trod on, you're ignored. At least if you're getting trod on, they'll notice a bump underfoot!

Offline Mandy

• Under a Carolina blue sky
    • View Profile
    • My journey as a middle ear implant clinical trial patient
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
But Mandy, as SMR pointed out above, if they're not on the up and up, it'd be easy to post a sign-up form and start sending out book-ad emails to real people as a cover for the bot action. Just because you're on a list doesn't mean anyone else is, after all. The only reason I know I'm not the only one on BookBub's list is that other people (like you) talk about getting the emails, too.

At this point, I don't think I can be convinced.

It still screams shady. I'm a reader and I like bargains. So does hundreds of other KB members, and an untold number of lurkers. What business wouldn't want to expand their list of clients? I don't know of any other business that will go to such lengths to remain so secretive, especially to their paying customers.

And on ethics - so many authors speak out on fake reviews. Is knowingly buying fake downloads to push your rank up really any different? I know this isn't the case here yet, but most everyone is beginning to suspect that this mystery list of downloaders are really bots. As a reader, I'd be a little put off to learn that John is only in the top 20 because he bought thousands of fake downloads. At that point, he loses credibility with me, and I'll probably warn my reader friends. How can I know if his rank on any of his other books is legit now? I would be a little suspicious of his reviews at this point. It just seems too risky to knowingly participate in this kinda thing.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
I feel a bit scammed. And ignored. You haven't answered my question: Is there a way for me, a reader interested in good books at good prices, to get on tour list? As you don't answer, I suppose not, and conclude the service is not completely legitimate.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
I feel a bit scammed. And ignored. You haven't answered my question: Is there a way for me, a reader interested in good books at good prices, to get on tour list? As you don't answer, I suppose not, and conclude the service is not completely legitimate.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX.

This is an obviously loaded question which was answered in previous questions multiple times.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »

Look I'm a sensitive guy and this just whipped a sad face across my head. I still stand beside my point. I think that you are using bots, everything in this thread points to that being the most likely situation. I can't (and won't) say you are being malicious with what you are doing but it appears that you are being dishonest.

There are many authors out there who would have no problem using bots, just as there are authors who will buy reviews. I think they're both shady and I disapprove of both. Still, there is a market out there. I don't know what you could do at this point to prove you have a list because I truly do not believe it exists. Bookbub and company are open with their methods. They have a sign up list for subscribers and an upfront pricing schedule for authors. We know that system works and it works legitimately.

Without a signup site how can you expect us to believe? You couldn't possibly sell enough books with mailing list links to justify such a massive list with consistent results across the genre board. You have a presence on multiple networking boards that have questionable behavior. That lends credence to the idea that this is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

We can't be on the list because it's secret but your claims say otherwise. Your list is not secret, not one bit, if it has actual subscribers. And I've never heard of your service until you came to this board. Not even a whisper. You have to understand how odd that is for a forum full of Authors who leave their ears wide open for the next best idea in book marketing.

I want to believe you but the nature of the internet makes that inherently difficult. You said it yourself, there is a guy on the other side of that computer. But I can't see through your computer and I can't see if your sincere or not. That is to say that your words on the internet own you and you're not making the case for your business model at all. So we will judge you on what you say and do because we can't possibly know the man at the computer.

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
I'm sorry, but you're providing a VERY unrealistic idea here. 10% of the freebie loaders buying your next book is not going to happen.

Usually it's between 2-5% of the people that get a free book who'll move on to the second. So don't go expecting that a service like theirs may provide 10%. People should be happy if 2-5% of those 10k people will buy the next. That's 300 buyers. Lets say your book is 2.99. Means you get 2.093 x 3% (300 buyers avarage) = 627,90 dollars. That's more than double what you paid for the ad, and I think it's enough.

If 3% moves on to the next book that is. If it were only 1% then I'd think twice since you earn less than the ad cost. But we're still waiting for the results of the others, so let's wait on that before jumping to conclusions.

I'm glad you pointed this out. I'll be very happy with results like that, and frankly happy if it is half that quantity. I have three books in the series, one at $2.99, one at $3.99, and one at $5.50. If I sell 50 of each I'll be happy, more than break even, and frankly with 10,000 downloads it's doable as I've done it before, several times.

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Mandy

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
This is an obviously loaded question which was answered in previous questions multiple times.

Do you realize how many sales you could make right now if you'd simply show someone like Ann this mailing list or some other form of credibility? So many authors want to sign up; they're just nervous over your lack of information, and rightfully so.

Offline olefish

• View Profile
    • omnifish
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »
If you can guarantee 10000 free downloads, I'd say you can guarantee 1% of that, 100 sales at 99c. Selling 99c sponsorships would be a nice step on the road to besting bookbub.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2013, 03:29:56 PM »
I'm glad you pointed this out. I'll be very happy with results like that, and frankly happy if it is half that quantity. I have three books in the series, one at $2.99, one at $3.99, and one at $5.50. If I sell 50 of each I'll be happy, more than break even, and frankly with 10,000 downloads it's doable as I've done it before, several times.

That's the point people are arguing and trying to bring to up for other people to be aware of (among other valid concerns). If it is, in fact, 10,000 bot downloads, you're not getting 10,000++ downloads... you're getting however many downloads you get off the improved visibility from gaming the system, which seems to be a few thousand based on the results people have been posting in this thread.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
Amazon doesn't give out their methods either, and people still scream "not fair!" The op did state they'd built up a list of readers. This is entirely possible. I could see a group of aynonomous authors sharing their genre lists, but because they don't produce enough work, selling services to provide access to that list.
Isn't this why everyone wants to get re-tweeted by someone with a 100,000 followers or more? People pay those people to have access to the fans.

Or maybe they took the time to go through Goodreads, or various book bloggers, and a mass emails through that, or through a marketing survey. There are a several different ways people can put together a list of readers interested in Free ebooks. Maybe they ran a service like snickslist and got them that way. Releasing the information isn't necessary to prove it's legitimate.
I do not think it's bots for the simple reason Amazon would filter them out through their ip addresses, and lack of credit cards on the accounts. You have to open an account with Amazon to download a book. Amazon is very good at filtering out everything that isn't them or a legitimate buyer.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:40:48 PM by LisaGraceBooks »

Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Jnassise

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Shades of Reality
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
I'm not weighing in one way or another on the legitimacy of the service, but I remembered getting email about it back in Oct when William and Thomas first began offering it to kindle publishers in the internet marketing arena and dug it up to add another data point to the discussion. It offers a little more information than the original post did.  (I've decided against doing any Select deals for my works so I won't be using the service anyway.)  My interest is purely for discussion's sake...

From the desk's of Thomas Glenn & William Eloines

Dear Kindle Publisher,

If you're reading this right now then you're one of the FIRST people from the public to ever have this opportunity:
Right now we're giving a select few of you the chance to let us handle your book promotion frustrations.

Watch as we quickly pull your book from the bottom of the amazon ranks and boost it to the top of the best seller charts!

By integrating our private kindle networks and promoting your books on Amazon KDP Select we can send you THOUSANDS of free downloads and create a viral spark that will turn into a hungry flame of rapid sales-- all within HOURS!

We offer one of the ONLY services in the industry that will:

Create sales for weeks and even months after the promotion.
Create a loyal reader base who will buy your full priced books after reading your book while on free promotion--
..all while remaining 100% compliant with Amazon and KDP's regulations by utilizing their free promotion service.

We have been using our closely guarded network of book clubs, kindle reader sites, kindle mailing lists and private communities on our own empire of kindle books...
...now we're ready to offer a few select people the same service we've been using to produce best seller after best seller.

Our networks are comprised of almost 700,000 ACTIVE kindle readers.

We GUARANTEE up to 10,000 free downloads to your next promotion-- starting as soon as tomorrow.

You know as well as I do that the biggest hurdle preventing you from striking gold with kindle is lack of eyeballs to your book (or your book just sucks, which is also possible).

You know that if you could just get your book into the bestseller charts and people were seeing it, downloading it and BUYING it, it would be more than enough to set your sales on fire and make you a long time best seller.

You know this because you've seen it over and over again... from small "no names" in forums to overnight successes like Amanda Hocking, John Locke, Rachel Abbott, E.L. James, Mark Edwards and J.A. Konrath-- just to name a few.

There's also been a ton of "one hit wonders".

Folks who "get lucky" and manage to hit the bestselling chart and then stay there for a month, resulting in hundreds of thousands of sales-- more money than the average person will make in years.

But you already know this, and you're tired of hearing theory. You want to know..
HOW YOU CAN DO IT!
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I also don't want to lie to you.
If your book, or books are crap and nobody would want to read them, you're simply not going to have this kind of success. Sure, you can make thousands on a mediocre book-- I've done it.

In fact, some of our past personal successes have included:

A weight loss related book in the top 1000 ranking on kindle for over 6 months - 1500-2000 sales per month at 4.99 each (you do the math!).

Jump starting 2 erotica writers from unknown to top 5000 rankings for their SHORT erotica stories (yes, bestselling short stories).

A large network of our own books published to the tune of over $20,000 net monthly

Cool, right?

But if it works so well for us, why are we sharing?

Great question, and there's a simple answer.
Quite simply, our network has reached such a massive scale that we now have the ability to promote multiple books a week while still being able to promote our own.
Not selling this service is us throwing money away when we could be using it to have more books outsourced, further expanding our already lucrative empire.

Listen, we have the audience.
Just ONE (of our MANY) free download sites has over 8000 unique visitors DAILY.
Cool, but what can are service ACTUALLY do for you (in practical, non-hype terms)?

Here's a few...
1. Jump start a new kindle book and have it start showing in search results as well as gaining massive exposure.
2. Create a devoted reader base who will download your first book free, and be waiting for your next books ready to buy as soon as they hit the market.
3. Viral Traffic: Buyers who download your book on free and loved it and will then post it around the internet as well as telling their friends-- further snowballing your exposure, downloads and purchases.
4.Targeted reviews to your books from readers interested in your genre. Yes, REAL, organic reviews.That sounds nice, doesn't it? :)
5. Increase sales of your other books by the same author or pen name from people that loved your free book.
6. Jump start your series by promoting the first and then allowing fans of the first to buy the second, third, fourth, etc.
7. And most importantly, your book will push past all the competitors and rank in top of the free bestsellers on amazon, and then high into the paid bestsellers. If people like your book, you could even wind up staying in the top bestsellers for days, weeks, even MONTHS.

This really is just the tip of the iceberg.
It shouldn't take too much effort on your part to figure out why getting your book into the Best Seller charts could change your future as a kindle publisher or author.
But we'll be honest... we're publishers, not marketers and we're VERY new to this whole kindle marketing scene.

This is also the first time we've EVER released this service to the public, so we're taking it slow. We don't want to bite off more than we can chew, and we're also looking for feedback and testimonials.
We have set our prices below what they're worth and we're only taking 40 applicants for our first test run.

IMPORTANT:
Depending on results, we'll more than likely be raising prices, and our previous customers will probably remain with us after they see results, so we CAN NOT guarantee this offer is going to be available tomorrow, next week, next month or even six months from now.

Because of this, we have a few restrictions set in place to keep us from wasting our time or yours.

Rules for promotion:
At the moment we have decided to not allow books with overly spammy landing pages/contents. This includes opt in forms, overuse of links, and other things that can compromise our reader base. This decision was made based on a test that showed that many of our own reader base can unsubscribe and/or leave negative feedback when presented with these types of books. After your order, expect an email within 4-8 hours to discuss date of promotion and help with your strategy. We reserve the right to deny books that don't meet our terms, the buyer will be refunded immediately if we do not approve.

Right now we have 3 packages available, and when they're gone we're going to have to pause this offer, and for how long we're simply not sure.
Your choices include:
SILVER                GOLD            PLATINUM

SILVER: 2500 download guarantee. Real kindle readers.
GOLD: 5000 download guarantee. Real kindle readers.
PLATINUM: 10000 download guarantee. Real kindle readers.

OUR GUARANTEE:
If you purchase and we decide not to promote your book, you will be refunded immediately. If we fail to deliver our guaranteed downloads, you'll be refunded immediately.
This is first come first serve. We apologize if everyone isn't able to get in, and we will try our best to offer more slots as soon as possible.

PLEASE, if you want to try this, don't hesitate.
We look forward to increasing your success on kindle.

Sincerely,
-Tom & Will

Joseph Nassise | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re:
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
Do you realize how many sales you could make right now if you'd simply show someone like Ann this mailing list or some other form of credibility? So many authors want to sign up; they're just nervous over your lack of information, and rightfully so.

Someone like Ann?  What about me? :(

Bear in mind that neither Ann nor I have any way of verifying that a list of emails are legitimate emails or that they are in fact the emails that are used in the service.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Mandy

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »
Someone like Ann?  What about me? :(

Bear in mind that neither Ann nor I have any way of verifying that a list of emails are legitimate emails or that they are in fact the emails that are used in the service.

Betsy

Hey, I mentioned you earlier in the thread! I was thinking more like allowing one of you mods to sign up for said list and see the offerings given. Then you could at least report back and say, "While I can't disclose any information about said business, I can at least vouch that I'm subscribed and I am receiving emails." KB members know you well enough to trust your judgment.

At any rate, this thread has been very intriguing. :passes the popcorn:

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »
Freebooksservice - When I first got my movie option and had to hire an ip lawyer (Elaine P. English), I was basically called a liar.

I was under confidentiality (like I am with my agents right now). For those who doubted what I was saying I invited them to contact my lawyer and confirm that I do indeed have a contract. Movie producers are like authors, or book promoting services. Some want the publicity, others don't. Most movie producers open separate LLC s for each project, to keep each separate legally and money wise. Some don't, and are more interested in building a public brand.

As your service works, you'll get more fans, and the doubters will be quieted or even possibly jump on the bandwagon. Don't take it personally, this is just people who are legitimately worried because there are scammers out there.  :)

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Amazon doesn't give out their methods either, and people still scream "not fair!" The op did state they'd built up a list of readers. This is entirely possible. I could see a group of anynomous authors sharing their genre lists, but because they don't produce enough work, selling services to provide access to that list.
Isn't this why everyone wants to get re-tweeted by someone with a 100,000 foloowers or more? People pay those people to have access to the fans.

Or maybe they took the time to go through Goodreads, or various book bloggers, and a mass emails through that,or through amarketing survey. There are a several different ways people can puttogether a list of readers interested in Free ebooks. Maybe they ran a service like snickslist and got them that way. Releasing the information isn't necessary to prove it's legitimate.  

I don't know if you've had a chance the read the whole thread, Lisa, but based on what BookBub can do with its mailing list (the size and complexion of which BookBub makes public), people are figuring that the Kindle Domination list would have to be vast to guarantee up to 10K downloads, no matter what genre. Maybe with no quality control, either? Do they have a vetting process?

For instance, Bookbub has more than 10x as many subscribers for mystery as for YA. Because YA is underrepresented among subscribers, average downloads of free YA books are only 3,400, and maximum download are only 5,100. For a service to be able to guarantee equal downloads for any genre, there could be no such disparities.

BB says its average downloads of free books in historical fiction and biography and memoir are both around 10K. It has 440K subscribers in historical fiction and 390K in memoir. Thus Kindle Domination also probably needs to have roughly 400K subscribers for every genre. I don't think this is the kind of thing some authors could cobble together by melding their personal lists. Besides, they've already given an explanation for how they built their list, and that's not it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:56:53 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline Jnassise

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Shades of Reality
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »
Thus Kindle Domination also probably needs to have roughly 400K subscribers for every genre. I don't think this is the kind of thing some authors could cobble together by melding their personal lists. Besides, they've already given an explanation for how they built their list, and that's not it.

From their own email quoted in my post at the bottom of page 7 of this thread:

"We have been using our closely guarded network of book clubs, kindle reader sites, kindle mailing lists and private communities on our own empire of kindle books...
...now we're ready to offer a few select people the same service we've been using to produce best seller after best seller.

Our networks are comprised of almost 700,000 ACTIVE kindle readers.

We GUARANTEE up to 10,000 free downloads to your next promotion-- starting as soon as tomorrow."

Joseph Nassise | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
I don't know if you've had a chance the read the whole thread, Lisa, but based on what BookBub can do with its mailing list (the size and complexion of which BookBub makes public), people are figuring that the Kindle Domination list would have to be vast to guarantee up to 10K downloads, no matter what genre. Maybe with no quality control, either? Do they have a vetting process?

For instance, Bookbub has more than 10x as many subscribers for mystery as for YA. Because YA is underrepresented among subscribers, average downloads of free YA books are only 3,400, and maximum download are only 5,100. For a service to be able to guarantee equal downloads for any genre, there could be no such disparities.

BB says its average downloads of free books in historical fiction and biography and memoir are both around 10K. It has 440K subscribers in historical fiction and 390K in memoir. Thu Kindle Domination also probably needs to have roughly 400K subscribers for every genre. I don't think this is the kind of thing some authors could cobble together by melding their personal lists. Besides, they've already given an explanation for how they built their list, and that's not it.

I've run ads with Bookbub, ENT, FKBT, and I'm running one with Free Books Service. Like I said earlier in the thread, people thought Bookbub was a scam in the beginning. I remember, and I avoided them for awhile because of it.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
Skepticism is part of the vetting system here, and I think it's healthy.  As someone said, D2D walked through the fires (as you did, Lisa) and survived to become a valued part of the community.  I think valid and important questions are being asked; members can read the responses and make up their own minds as to whether to use the service.

I would like to sign up to be on the mailing list.  Love me some free books....

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store