KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 67607 times)  

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
I don't know if you've had a chance the read the whole thread, Lisa, but based on what BookBub can do with its mailing list (the size and complexion of which BookBub makes public), people are figuring that the Kindle Domination list would have to be vast to guarantee up to 10K downloads, no matter what genre. Maybe with no quality control, either? Do they have a vetting process?

For instance, Bookbub has more than 10x as many subscribers for mystery as for YA. Because YA is underrepresented among subscribers, average downloads of free YA books are only 3,400, and maximum download are only 5,100. For a service to be able to guarantee equal downloads for any genre, there could be no such disparities.

BB says its average downloads of free books in historical fiction and biography and memoir are both around 10K. It has 440K subscribers in historical fiction and 390K in memoir. Thu Kindle Domination also probably needs to have roughly 400K subscribers for every genre. I don't think this is the kind of thing some authors could cobble together by melding their personal lists. Besides, they've already given an explanation for how they built their list, and that's not it.

While I appreciate your math, you are basing your numbers on (what you can see) on bookbub... which is a different business than this one. We do have quality control. If we don't feel like we can get the downloads of the package you ordered, we'd simply refund it. If you read our first email that was ever sent out about this service, (in october), which was posted on the bottom of the 7th page of this thread, you would see we actually do stipulate that. Also in our FAQ we urge people to see if they can get an increased number of honest reviews on their book, because we both know a book with 5 reviews will get less downloads than a book with 50.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
I've run ads with Bookbub, ENT, FKBT, and I'm running one with Free Books Service. Like I said earlier in the thread, people thought Bookbub was a scam in the beginning. I remember, and I avoided them for awhile because of it.

Yeah, I know -- I saw earlier today that you'd decided to give them a try. But a lot of the questions about Free Books Service/Kindle Domination were raised after you made that decision. I thought perhaps you hadn't had a chance to see all the concerns voiced since you last participated in the thread. The concerns about this service strike me as a lot more significant than those voiced about BookBub back in the day ... in part because we now have BookBub, which is so transparent, as a means of comparison.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Skepticism is part of the vetting system here, and I think it's healthy.  As someone said, D2D walked through the fires (as you did, Lisa) and survived to become a valued part of the community.  I think valid and important questions are being asked; members can read the responses and make up their own minds as to whether to use the service.

I would like to sign up to be on the mailing list.  Love me some free books....

Betsy

Exactly. I love this place and all who contribute to the discussions, because it has saved me time and money. Everyone here is interested in writing quality books, getting better at their craft, and finding an audience for their books along with the money. :)

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
Skepticism is part of the vetting system here, and I think it's healthy.  As someone said, D2D walked through the fires (as you did, Lisa) and survived to become a valued part of the community.  I think valid and important questions are being asked; members can read the responses and make up their own minds as to whether to use the service.

I would like to sign up to be on the mailing list.  Love me some free books....

Betsy

I would like to point out that its already clear even if this is something that I did, this community would simply say I created it as a "placebo" while my so called "bots" worked away in the background.

Even If I showed off my database of emails, someone would just point out that I could have gotten them from some nefarious means.

No matter what I do or say, it appears my only chance to gain any kind of trust, even though it would still likely be very little, would be seeing success from the 3 test-runs that I gave out.

Barring that, I am extremely demoralized at this point about the whole situation and I feel like the general consensus is "lets jump on the new guy until he leaves us alone" instead of "lets sit back and watch with an impartial view until we see more results"

Offline Jnassise

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Shades of Reality
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
In the vein of playing the devil's advocate -  if I had a system that guaranteed a certain number of downloads for any book I sent through it (and hopefully corresponding sales afterwards), I probably wouldn't be sharing the exact methods here either.  There is something to be said for market intelligence and exclusive systems when offering a service to paying customers...

That said, I do understand the concerns being raised and appreciate the heartiness of the discussion about them.

-J

Joseph Nassise | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
Even If I showed off my database of emails, someone would just point out that I could have gotten them from some nefarious means.

I'd just like to confess that I get all my emails through the nefarious means of promising people smutty books, some free!

Offline Danni

• Ain't nobody got time for that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
I would like to point out that its already clear even if this is something that I did, this community would simply say I created it as a "placebo" while my so called "bots" worked away in the background.

No matter what I do or say, it appears my only chance to gain any kind of trust, even though it would still likely be very little, would be seeing success from the 3 test-runs that I gave out.

Barring that, I am extremely demoralized at this point about the whole situation and I feel like the general consensus is "lets jump on the new guy until he leaves us alone" instead of "lets sit back and watch with an impartial view until we see more results"

I don't know that people are asking to sign up as proof so much as there are people who want to sign up for some free books.
So, why can't they? I'm not kidding, I have a ton of friends who sign up for mailing lists for free books and would be all over it.

Also, your comment above pessimistic. Why not provide evidence as it might actually dispel the negative speculation? I used to attend business meetings quite often where ITG had their backs against the wall, but nobody's feelings were hurt. That's not what it was about. We were all there for a common reason: us in need of a service and them with a new solution to provide it to us. They bent over backwards to show the detailed information requested so the customer's would have peace of mind and feel more confidence in their proposal.

Offline Edward W. Robertson

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »

People have been taking advantage of authors since the dawn of time. And KB authors are very protective of each other. So, by being less than completely transparent, you're going to run into some resistance. We've got each other's backs.

But if you're legit, and can offer value, you really will have people jumping all over you--in the good way.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
But if you're legit, and can offer value, you really will have people jumping all over you--in the good way.

Like a sexy sorority pillow fight, except writers instead of hot young babes and money instead of pillows.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »
From their own email quoted in my post at the bottom of page 7 of this thread:

"We have been using our closely guarded network of book clubs, kindle reader sites, kindle mailing lists and private communities on our own empire of kindle books...
...now we're ready to offer a few select people the same service we've been using to produce best seller after best seller.

Our networks are comprised of almost 700,000 ACTIVE kindle readers.

We GUARANTEE up to 10,000 free downloads to your next promotion-- starting as soon as tomorrow."

Even if that is true, given that we've already seen Horror, Fantasy and Romance represented in this thread, the numbers still don't add up. Not even Bookbub is getting people 10k downloads in Fantasy and Horror.

I'm going to make this my last post in this thread as I've been pretty thorough in voicing my opinion on the matter. The reason I've done so is that I was a member at Warrior Forum for a loooong time, and the amount of insane scams and shadiness that goes on there is mind boggling. I've seen tons of services offered there that were fueled by bot networks for similar things: Facebook likes, Twitter followers, Retweets, YouTube likes/follows, whatever is "hot" at the moment, and I'd hate to see hard-working KB authors duped by such a scheme because someone didn't chime up and play the bad guy (I guess that's me).

If this service is legitimate and these fellas have put together a list that contains over a million+ active readers, then I'm sure I'll be eating my words in the future.

Let's look at some of the red flags here: (in no particular order)

1. Of all the voracious readers on this forum, not one person is already receiving emails from this insanely popular free book service.

2. Despite Bookbub being the biggest, baddest dog on the e-book promotion porch, they can't even guarantee half the amount of downloads for genres like Horror and Fantasy, when this service claims 10k across the board.

As stated by their own copy, from weight loss books to erotica, 10k downloads guaranteed. Genre is not a factor upon the results you will receive. Um... what?

3. This super popular free book recommendation service needs to remain top secret because building an active reader list of 1mil+ is so easy to do.

Anyone running this type of book recommendation service and boasting such a responsive, large list would laugh at such a notion. Building a list of responsive, active, engaged users (to the point that you're able to deliver 10k downloads across the board of genres) cannot be replicated over night. Sorry, it just cant. Saying you're hiding your recommendation service for that reason is just absurd.

Because this is no easy task, and takes time and reader awareness, it makes it even stranger that no one on this forum is already receiving your emails or knows what your service is.

4. Immediate drop offs in downloads once "service" has expired.

Already reported by people who have participated in this test. Legitimate email open rates, especially for a list that needs to be as large as yours, don't cliff-off like that. There's the initial blast which gets the highest activity, then a sharp but consistent slowdown as the rest of your subscribers get around to reading the email, if at all. The point is, while the drop off for an email blast is sharp and happens within days/a week, it's not like turning off a water valve. Which seems to be the case here, even with the improved visibility and downloads from Amazon.

5. Service born on Warrior Forum.

Sorry, but this is the biggest red flag of all. Anyone with any experience in the internet marketing world knows all about that place and how it operates. Sorry for the legitimate users there who don't know any better, but guilt by association applies for repeat WSO (warrior special offer) posters.

6. Download packages

Email lists don't generally work this way, unless you're segregating yours somehow... but then, that seems counterproductive to the idea that you're guaranteeing 10k downloads across any genre. As stated earlier, the math doesn't add up.

When you take all these things and compare it to any other service that is similar to yours (read: Bookbub, ENT, PoI, Freebooksy, and on and on and on), way, way too many things just aren't matching up. The most concerning of which is the industry leaders' transparency and your lack of. They're transparent because they know it takes considerable effort/$$$ to replicate what they've created, so they don't worry about Jon Doe stealing all of their business, and they don't mind showcasing the quality/demographics/etc of their lists (and they certainly don't refuse targeted customers) - In fact, it's probably their biggest selling point.

Anyway, good luck to all who choose to try this service, and I look forward to eating my words soon so that I can purchase 100k guaranteed downloads spread across 10+ genres in the near future.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:46:52 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline Edward W. Robertson

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Like a sexy sorority pillow fight, except writers instead of hot young babes and money instead of pillows.

The number of pants worn is the same in both cases, though.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »

You have to understand--this is a discussion forum.  People will discuss.  ;) Also, I don't think there is a general consensus.  There are some people who are very very skeptical (has anyone seen Julie?) of new services, and there are others who are willing to dip a toe in to test the waters. I think we have a range here, but the jury is still out.  I understand that being the one who runs the guantlet is not as much fun as being part of the gauntlet.

By KBoards standards (even though we are the "nice" Internet forum), this has been an extremely civil discussion and you've done your part to keep it that way.  That's to  your credit.  It doesn't always go that way.

But I would be happy to be part of your mailing list.

Betsy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:35:50 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Paul Kohler

• Littleton, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • PaulKohler.net
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Being relatively new to this business, I have been trying to wrap my head around how they are guaranteeing a specific number of downloads.  Will they see my sales figures through KDP and then 'turn off' the email messages when the downloads reach a specific threshold?  Say I bought the 2,500 guarantee, and they sent out the first 2,500 emails, but only 500 downloaded right away.  How would they know to only send out an additional 2,000 emails?  I certainly am not going to provide my KDP info for them to see.

The way I see this happening is they do not actually have 10,000ish fake Amazon accounts, but maybe a 1,000 at most.  Then, when they get a "buyer" to the service, they turn on the bots on the appropriate number of computers to go download the book.  After a bit of time, the book is removed from the amazon account and then bought again.  With 1,000 computers running the same "program", it wouldn't take terribly long to cycle up to the 10,000ish threshold.  I think I'm right, right?  If you buy a book for your kindle and select it to be removed from your account, it tells you that you would have to buy it again.  I think that would mean another sale.  

Ok, what I suggest there may in fact be fiction, but until it is proved otherwise how to get on their supposed email lists, peoples minds are going to wander.  And with a group of fiction authors on these boards, all sorts of bizzare thoughts will be brought to the table.

As a relatively new author here, I have to make sure I spend every dollar with the best return possible.  Until the questions put forth by so many people above me are addressed and not dodged, I cannot see buying into the scam er, I mean "deal".
Detour, Book Two of the Humanity's Edge Trilogy is now available! Click the cover today!
Paul B. Kohler | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
While I appreciate your math, you are basing your numbers on (what you can see) on bookbub... which is a different business than this one. We do have quality control. If we don't feel like we can get the downloads of the package you ordered, we'd simply refund it. If you read our first email that was ever sent out about this service, (in october), which was posted on the bottom of the 7th page of this thread, you would see we actually do stipulate that. Also in our FAQ we urge people to see if they can get an increased number of honest reviews on their book, because we both know a book with 5 reviews will get less downloads than a book with 50.

Okay, so you do turn down some books. But not for genre, right? Your site says "Any niche or genre." So assuming they're all quality books, can you guarantee 10K downloads for cookbooks, horror, children's middle-grade, Christian inspiration, poetry, military history, dark fantasy, literary criticism, tentacle erotica, political essay, how-to, satire ... all from a base of 700K subscribers.

That means your emails are much more effective than BookBub's: not every one of the 700K subscribers can be equally a fan of every genre, so you must get a way higher rate of return from those who are fans of each niche. That's hard to believe, since your website (as you admitted up thread), is not well designed. (And it's true that I can only see the numbers BookBub chooses to make public, but I can't imagine why they'd want to make their service look weaker than it is.)

As long as BookBub is out there, people are going to compare what they do and what you claim to do, and that comparison is going to raise concerns about the legitimacy of Free Books Service / Kindle Domination because you claim to be doing so much more with a lot less, and not offering a convincing explanation of how that's happening. Certainly hoping to be proven wrong, especially if KBers are going to be using your service.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »
Being relatively new to this business, I have been trying to wrap my head around how they are guaranteeing a specific number of downloads.  Will they see my sales figures through KDP and then 'turn off' the email messages when the downloads reach a specific threshold?  Say I bought the 2,500 guarantee, and they sent out the first 2,500 emails, but only 500 downloaded right away.  How would they know to only send out an additional 2,000 emails?  I certainly am not going to provide my KDP info for them to see.

The point you are missing is that you cant just send out 2500 emails and see 2500 downloads. Obviously much more are sent out than that. Would you prefer if the guarantee was lifted and you had no idea how many downloads you get... ?

The guarantee is simply a money-back promise. It protects you, the customer, if we cannot deliver. If no such promise was made, then I could easily just say "something is wrong with your book" and fly away into the night with your hard earned money...  

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2013, 04:40:32 PM »
You have to understand--this is a discussion forum.  People will discuss.  ;) Also, I don't think there is a general consensus.  There are some people who are very very skeptical (has anyone seen Julie?) of new services, and there are others who are willing to dip a toe in to test the waters. I think we have a range here, but the jury is still out.  I understand that being the one who runs the guantlet is not as much fun as being part of the gauntlet.

By KBoards standards (even though we are the "nice" Internet forum), this has been an extremely civil discussion and you've done your part to keep it that way.  That's to  your credit.  It doesn't always go that way.

Betsy

I'm a toe dipper.  8)

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »
You have to understand--this is a discussion forum.  People will discuss.  ;) Also, I don't think there is a general consensus.  There are some people who are very very skeptical (has anyone seen Julie?) of new services, and there are others who are willing to dip a toe in to test the waters. I think we have a range here, but the jury is still out.  I understand that being the one who runs the guantlet is not as much fun as being part of the gauntlet.

By KBoards standards (even though we are the "nice" Internet forum), this has been an extremely civil discussion and you've done your part to keep it that way.  That's too your credit.  It doesn't always go that way.

Betsy

Exactly.  

I completely understand why you don't want to share your list.  I don't think anyone has suggested that.  It would be ludicrous to think that's even appropriate.

But you also haven't -- and I have read the whole thread -- given any good reason why you are unwilling to take sign ups from folks who are willing to do so.  Legitimate readers who are known to members here who could then report about the notifications and offers they get.  What are we to think but that there's something funny going on?

Again, I have no real dog in this fight: I don't write or edit or publish.  I just want to read.  You claim to be able to guarantee thousands of readers -- no, actually you are careful to say you guarantee downloads -- but if there's no way for real honest to gosh people to sign up, it's not surprising people wonder how you can do that?

eta: a lot of people are comparing to BookBub.  Part of the reason that came to be seen as legit is that actual readers would post in other areas of the board saying they'd signed up and got these great emails with links to the books they wanted to read and they were GOOD.  So authors learned that they were really doing what they said they would, and were reaching actual readers.  I first heard of BookBub from other readers . . . not here as a service promoted to authors only.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:46:25 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline jimkukral

• View Profile
    • Author Marketing Club
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
Welcome to Kboards. :) Everyone with something new goes through this process. I did years ago. Now we're established and proven and our customers speak for us. If your service is legit it'll stick around and will last and you'll have even the most vocal people here now admitting they were wrong. Just gotta have thick skin and stay true to your business model and the truth.

I welcome you here. New ideas are good. We need more effective stuff. Hopefully your service proves to be just that.
Jim F. Kukral The Tools the Best Selling Authors Use:   http://www.AuthorMarketingClub.com

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
Let me say one more thing--I think there are a lot of very good questions being raised and legitimate concerns.  How those questions and concerns are answered will determine your success here.  We have serious members who do a lot of research and who are protective of other writers.  That's to their credit.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
To the OP:

Something you may not have really realized about kb.  It is a site for owners of kindles.  So while you're going to find authors interested in paying you to get other people to download their books, you're also going to be getting readers (who may not be authors) here who want to know how to get downloads.  And readers who ARE authors who want to get downloads to read, not just downloads from other readers.

I see the appeal of your site to a reader, but as a reader, I've never really understood the appeal to an author of "increasing" their rank.  Actually, I think I'm going to start a thread about that so maybe some authors can educate me.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Exactly.  

I completely understand why you don't want to share your list.  I don't think anyone has suggested that.  It would be ludicrous to think that's even appropriate.

But you also haven't -- and I have read the whole thread -- given any good reason why you are unwilling to take sign ups from folks who are willing to do so.  Legitimate readers who are known to members here who could then report about the notifications and offers they get.  What are we to think but that there's something funny going on?

Again, I have no real dog in this fight: I don't write or edit or publish.  I just want to read.  You claim to be able to guarantee thousands of readers -- no, actually you are careful to say you guarantee downloads -- but if there's no way for real honest to gosh people to sign up, it's not surprising people wonder how you can do that?

eta: a lot of people are comparing to BookBub.  Part of the reason that came to be seen as legit is that actual readers would post in other areas of the board saying they'd signed up and got these great emails with links to the books they wanted to read and they were GOOD.  So authors learned that they were really doing what they said they would, and were reaching actual readers.  I first heard of BookBub from other readers . . . not here as a service promoted to authors only.

I have found the reply you were searching the thread for, here it is:

We are protecting our business, and we have made that decision from the start. We also have authors who do not want their competitors knowing exactly what their promotion methods are, which is another reason for this decision. If we changed our mind now, we could lose those clients which have been loyal customers for quite some time. We have had authors coming to us asking if we are promoting another author in the same genre. For what reason, we do not know, but while those of you on kboards may be happy sharing your earnings, promotion methods and tactics, not all writers are the same.

So thats something we are not going to do, to simply appease the mind of a pre-purchase skeptic.

If you see the results of the test copies we gave away, and the reviews & screenshots that you can read on the warrior forum thread and in this thread, and you are still not convinced, then perhaps this service is not for you.

So you know, right now, a huge portion of our clients are from the Warrior Forum. While some of you have super negative reactions to the warrior forum, I don't discriminate what forums my clients frequent. Since they are my bread and butter, they are the clients that get the most say in how my business is run...In this case, money talks.

One major difference that I see between the forums (this one and WF), is that many of the people over there are much more close-chested when it comes to sales, profits, promotional methods and such. They would not appreciate, and will not re-order, if I change my business model and simply show off to the world (give the connection) to where their promoting efforts are spent, what genres they are writing in, etc. I don't know if you realize but, people actually try to sell lists of hot genres. While this may seem absolutely crazy to you, you have to be able to see that what you are suggesting, actually seems crazy to me.... While you may try to compare me to bookbub and say "Bookbub does X, why don't you do X?"

...The answer is, I am not bookbub. Just because bookbub may do well, doesnt mean I have to copy exactly what they do to be successful. The fact is that there are bookbub clones that dont do well at all. I am successful in this venture already and have clients, so I am less inclined to change whats not broken.

I also believe there are still some good ways of cheaply putting together good lists of kindle readers, and I believe there will be some more services similar to mine and bookbub's in the future. If every little thing about the backend is revealed in a community setting like this, I will have no competitive edge in the future.

Seriously, if people knew how many opts you could get from having a form right in the description of your book when it was still possible before the end of october, many more people would have been doing it. Good thing most people had no idea, and I was really sad when that change came into effect.

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »
Nobody is secretive about promotion. That's just ridiculous. Promotion by its very nature isn't secretive and you can't possibly have a formula that changes that.

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »

Sorry, I read that.  Read it again just now.  Several times.  Slowly.

I still don't see that it explains why you are not willing to let interested READERS sign up for communication from you. All you keep saying is that some of your clients don't want you sharing tactics.  No problem.  I don't give two hoots for tactics.  But maybe I want to sign up.  And I don't know any authors here who aren't THRILLED to hear there are readers who WANT to learn about their books.

I also don't know a thing about Warrior Forum.  Don't care either.  

But here's my problem:

I'm in a service business. Say I wanted to hire someone to promote me to potential clients because I want to grow my business.  The promoter says to me: We have a mailing list and will send your advert to everyone on it, but no one new is allowed to get on the mailing list, not even you to see what your ad will look like.  Guess what? I'm not hiring you. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
d*mn, I just can't stay away! I'm sorry!

So you know, right now, a huge portion of our clients are from the Warrior Forum. While some of you have super negative reactions to the warrior forum, I don't discriminate what forums my clients frequent. Since they are my bread and butter, they are the clients that get the most say in how my business is run...In this case, money talks.

One major difference that I see between the forums (this one and WF), is that many of the people over there are much more close-chested when it comes to sales, profits, promotional methods and such. They would not appreciate, and will not re-order, if I change my business model and simply show off to the world (give the connection) to where their promoting efforts are spent, what genres they are writing in, etc.

You realize that people aren't asking to see your entire back end, right? They're asking to subscribe to your book recommendation service, to... you know, receive book recommendations. The fact that you refuse them in some holy-grail of secrecy while gobbling up emails everywhere else is just lol-worthy. You do see how absolutely rediculous that sounds, right?

I don't know if you realize but, people actually try to sell lists of hot genres. While this may seem absolutely crazy to you, you have to be able to see that what you are suggesting, actually seems crazy to me....

People get these lists already, it's called the Amazon best seller lists.

While you may try to compare me to bookbub and say "Bookbub does X, why don't you do X?"

Probably because you're claiming to do the exact same thing that they do? (and out preforming them!) There's only so many ways to send an email.

I also believe there are still some good ways of cheaply putting together good lists of kindle readers, and I believe there will be some more services similar to mine and bookbub's in the future. If every little thing about the backend is revealed in a community setting like this, I will have no competitive edge in the future.

See, this is what gets me. If you've got a legitimate book recommendation service, having readers signup for your wonderful recommendations wouldn't put your business in extreme jeopardy, in fact, it should be the opposite.

Seriously, if people knew how many opts you could get from having a form right in the description of your book when it was still possible before the end of october, many more people would have been doing it. Good thing most people had no idea, and I was really sad when that change came into effect.

I find it highly suspect that you built a highly responsive free book recommendation service (of over a million active readers, no less) off of abusing the book description field or whatever.

Honestly, the questions people are asking aren't hard to meet if you have a legitimate book recommendation service. They're not asking for your first born child. Sorry man, but you're just not helping yourself here. The more you post, the more it looks like a fake accounts network. Buyer beware.

The fact that we're already 9 pages deep and you're still ignoring and refuting so many legitimate questions, makes me wonder how this thread isn't locked yet and your username banned.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:41:27 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
Ahhh. Got it now.

This.

I'm in a service business. Say I wanted to hire someone to promote me to potential clients because I want to grow my business.  The promoter says to me: We have a mailing list and will send your advert to everyone on it, but no one new is allowed to get on the mailing list, not even you to see what your ad will look like.  Guess what? I'm not hiring you. :(