KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 67599 times)  

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
When I tried to hit the "back" button to navigate off of this thread, I got a popup message that said something like "WAIT! There's a FREE gift if you stay on this page!" (That's not the exact verbiage; I closed it without writing it down.) I assume that's another one of your little additions? Embedded code on KBoards?

Dude, guys. Scuzzy. Makes me wonder what other kind of crap you're willing to pull.

Clean up your act. I'll pay decent money for any good promotion service. Right now, I'm feeling seriously grossed out.

I get that message only after clicking on the warrior forum link and then trying to navigate from KB. But not just by clicking on this forum thread or the direct link their website. I *think* it's a warrior forum thing.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
I get that message only after clicking on the warrior forum link and then trying to navigate from KB. But not just by clicking on this forum thread or the direct link their website. I *think* it's a warrior forum thing.

If that's the case, I'm sorry for being accusatory.

Still not feeling good vibes. And also remembering why I usually don't click on Warrior Forum links.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
If that's the case, I'm sorry for being accusatory.

Still not feeling good vibes. And also remembering why I usually don't click on Warrior Forum links.

Hi, I was not getting it in chrome however I tested in firefox and I did indeed get a funny popup like you were mentioning, when I clicked the warrior forum link, then pressed back, I was able to replicate the popup.

I have disabled the warrior forum link, so if people want to go there, they will have to manually type the link into the address bar. This is the first time ive seen a popup like that from warrior forum.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline hyh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »
Kdarden went for our largest package. We have had clients report that they have gotten over 25,000 downloads total with our biggest package, it really just depends on the book and (sometimes) a little luck.

Right - I had the 10k - but notice I have nearly twice that in downloads.

Thank you! :) Good to know.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
Okay. I just bought the most expensive package for the 10,000 downloads. However, you don't ask for which book or dates you will run it. If this works, I would like to interview you for our web show Indie Author Chat.

What do I do now? Wait for you to contact me for info. or date?

UPDATE: Within minutes of asking I received the landing page from them.

Thank you for sending me the landing page. I use IE and it did not come up at the time of the order, or after. Just emailed it to you.

I've done very well with both Book Bub and ENT hitting as high as #13in the free Kindle store, which is why I"m giving the most expensive package a try.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:01:50 PM by LisaGraceBooks »

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »

Thanks for adding that. I have asked a mod to investigate, but I believe it may have been the warrior forum page... nothing to do with me. For now I have disabled the warrior forum link until a mod can chime in on this. Thanks.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »
Oddly, the downloads went from nearly 1000 an hour to only a handful. Just like that. Never seen that before.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
    • The Case Files of Edgar Sullivan
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
Update:

My downloads have slowed to practically nothing. I've been sitting within a few downloads of 9800 for nearly an hour now. I know, I know. I probably shouldn't be monitoring the downloads constantly. Strange that they should drop off so rapidly, though. This could be due to a number of factors. I mean, it's pretty late at night, so that's likely to contribute. Perhaps the promo's magic has worn off? KDP's reporting is still bungled or is currently slowing down? Hard to say. As of this post I've sold 3 books in my series. This morning, before starting the promo, that number was 0.

Let's see where this goes from here.

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Would it be possible for us to see one of these lists that go out to subscribers? I think that could help put some of our minds at ease.

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
To be fair, Amazon updates have been really slow today, cyber Monday. Russell Blake started a thread about it.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,169149.0.html

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
Oddly, the downloads went from nearly 1000 an hour to only a handful. Just like that. Never seen that before.

It could be some of Amazon's servers are slow. I bet you get a bunch dumping in in the middle of the night.

Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
It could be some of Amazon's servers are slow. I bet you get a bunch dumping in in the middle of the night.

Yes, it could well be that. The free downloads appear to be on different servers than the paid and have been updating regularly, but it's possible they're shifting resources and the free servers are being called into action, so to speak.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
Okay, my run has been scheduled for December 5th. I've always had a good amount of readers go on to buy books 2 and 3 in the series, which is why I'm giving this a shot.

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
I see some members here have paid for promos by these folks. I haven't any reason to believe that Freebookservice has been dishonest about the nature of his service, and (as evidenced by my earlier screencaps), as promised, my freebie's been downloaded a lot. He's been willing to answer our questions and has been very pleasant even in the face of scrutiny. I appreciate this.

Nonetheless, I'd like to remind any fellow authors considering this service to exercise a bit of restraint. We don't know if these freeloads are going to lead to anything. If they do, I'll be the first to give this thing a ringing endorsment. Until then? It might be prudent to sit back and watch.

Just sayin'.

Offline Greg Strandberg

• Missoula, Montana
  • Ask About Free Editing
    • View Profile
    • BigSkyWords
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
I think this whole thing is rubbish.

They give you guaranteed downloads.  I just can't help but wonder how many innocent internet users are having guns held to their heads while someone with a funny hat is shouting 'download that book now!' into their ear.

Any site I see that asks me if I want to leave the page after I already hit the close button is just silly.  It also smacks of desperation, and I think you'll find most people who run into those sites wish they wouldn't.  It's a cheesy marketing tactic that will go the way of the dinosaurs.

My main concern, however, is just what this does to the self-image of authors.  I guess it's just really a rehashing of the free debate, but now we can have two types: those that brag about how many they gave away to willing customers and those that can brag about how many they gave away to people forced to download it.

Guaranteed 10,000 downloads!  Am I the only one who scoffs and shakes their head at this?

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
Just bought the 10,000 download package for Billionaire Bound, My Billionaire Boss, Part 1 and send through all the details to them.

When you complete your purchase you hit a landing page that tells you to send:
1. The URL to your book on Amazon
2. Your books title, and author name
3. Paypal Transaction number
4. Your preferred date TO START the free promotion (Please give us 3 dates you have in mind as we have to slot you in, and it is first come first serve), and your free promotion should last between 2-3 days.
5. How you found us (optional!)
6.Please double check you typed in the email address correctly! It is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Mine is a permafree so I've requested asap start date. Will update thread on downloads and conversation rate once it's underway.

Thanks for ordering!

Would it be possible for us to see one of these lists that go out to subscribers? I think that could help put some of our minds at ease.

Sorry, its not.

Okay, my run has been scheduled for December 5th. I've always had a good amount of readers go on to buy books 2 and 3 in the series, which is why I'm giving this a shot.

Thank you for your order!!

I see some members here have paid for promos by these folks. I haven't any reason to believe that Freebookservice has been dishonest about the nature of his service, and (as evidenced by my earlier screencaps), as promised, my freebie's been downloaded a lot. He's been willing to answer our questions and has been very pleasant even in the face of scrutiny. I appreciate this.

Nonetheless, I'd like to remind any fellow authors considering this service to exercise a bit of restraint. We don't know if these freeloads are going to lead to anything. If they do, I'll be the first to give this thing a ringing endorsment. Until then? It might be prudent to sit back and watch.

Just sayin'.

Kdarden did post her results in this thread, so people are able to get at least some idea of what kind of sales they might get after the promo, however once the 3 "freebies" there will be much more proof of this.

I think this whole thing is rubbish.

They give you guaranteed downloads.  I just can't help but wonder how many innocent internet users are having guns held to their heads while someone with a funny hat is shouting 'download that book now!' into their ear.

Any site I see that asks me if I want to leave the page after I already hit the close button is just silly.  It also smacks of desperation, and I think you'll find most people who run into those sites wish they wouldn't.  It's a cheesy marketing tactic that will go the way of the dinosaurs.

My main concern, however, is just what this does to the self-image of authors.  I guess it's just really a rehashing of the free debate, but now we can have two types: those that brag about how many they gave away to willing customers and those that can brag about how many they gave away to people forced to download it.

Guaranteed 10,000 downloads!  Am I the only one who scoffs and shakes their head at this?

You're entitled to your opinion, but the results of our promos will speak for themselves. If we were really "forcing" people to download books, then our readerbase probably wouldn't stick around very long.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

Just sayin'.

OJConnell -
I agree, but I haven't spent my promo budget for the year (couldn't find much worth the money two FKBT, one ENT, one Bookbub) I paused my latest FB run, so I have the cash from previous books sales to risk.

My run is on December 5th, I'll report my results in this thread. I do have two other books in the series for sale, and I am hoping with the increased visibility, I'll sell enough on those two to recoup my costs. With 2,000 books a day being released, I figure it can't hurt. I have a 98% sell rate from book 2 to 3, plus I have the 3 in 1 for sale too.  

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
@Greg-- While hilarious, I think your vision of people being held at gunpoint and forced to download these books is kinda ludicrous. I don't imagine anyone's being forced to do anything. Moreover, I can say that the whole "guarantee" thing, while overdone, is not unique to scams. Like a lot of other reputable businesses, this service offers a refund to authors who aren't satisfied. When one is confident in their product or service, such bold guarantees as "10,000" downloads may be borne of confidence, rather than sheer evil like you suggest

But hey. Maybe you're right. I'm not prepared to say either way until this trial is through. And even then, we might not have any answers. So we'll wait and see.

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
OJConnell -
I agree, but I haven't spent my promo budget for the year (couldn't find much worth the money two FKBT, one ENT, one Bookbub) I paused my latest FB run, so I have the cash from previous books sales to risk.

My run is on December 5th, I'll report my results in this thread. I do have two other books in the series for sale, and I am hoping with the increased visibility, I'll sell enough on those two to recoup my costs. With 2,000 books a day being released, I figure it can't hurt. I have a 98% sell rate from book 2 to 3, plus I have the 3 in 1 for sale too.  

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your results in this thread. Hope that my reporting has proven useful to you-- and anyone else lurking.

Offline Greg Strandberg

• Missoula, Montana
  • Ask About Free Editing
    • View Profile
    • BigSkyWords
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »
Hey, I think it's great authors have all kinds of options.  And I'm just offering my opinion.  I think authors should be able to do all kinds of fun, interesting, and stupid things - just look at my books.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:18 PM »
I remember when Bookbub first came out. People thought it was "too good to be true."
 People had their doubts about ENT also, and now the guy can't beat authors off with a stick. Marketing is a gamble. They do have a money back guarantee, and Paypal is one of the easiest to stop payments through if you do have a problem.

I'm willing to take the risk, because my books have sold well overall, and if I get my books into the hands of readers, I've made more than every promo I've ever done except for my Facebook ones.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
I'll be really interested to hear how sell-through goes.

More importantly, I want to see a sign up form and be able to join to receive a regular mailing.

I'm worried about the folks jumping into this without more information - even for free. Call me paranoid (I am), but there's potentially more at risk for authors involved than just losing $300.

That said, I was initially suspicious of D2D and later became a huge advocate when they proved themselves to have a great service. I'd love to see this happen here too.

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »
Update:

Slight uptick to #14 overall. Downloads are few and far between, however. We're talkin' like 10-20 an hour at this point, max.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
Yeah, how do we sign up for the list(s)? We might be authors, but we're voracious readers as well. More downloads is a win-win.