Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 67599 times)  

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #525 on: December 08, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »
No. An email was sent out via KDP about it:

"The book description contains unsupported HTML tags. While we've allowed this HTML in book descriptions before now, after November 2, 2013, we no longer support it. For more information about whats allowed in book descriptions, please see: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A377RPHW6ZG4D8"

Some people are grandfathered in, and havent changed it. Maybe they missed the email from amazon.

I'm still patiently waiting for any answers to questions I posted about your service. Thanks.

Offline RoseInTheTardis

• Seattle, WA
  • Writing keeps me sane *and* makes me crazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 08, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
When I share visibility is great, and I'm happy but say sell through is modest, I get piled on. If I wasn't sharing I was using this service, no one here would know.

Not trying to pile on, but they would know by looking at your also-boughts. Two days ago, they were the rest of the books in your series (which is really *good* for a perma-free) and other angel/YA books. Today they're a bunch of.. well.. not books I would associate with yours and clearly ones that belong to people who also used this service. I'm glad you're happy with it, I guess, but having that kind of shake up of your also-boughts for a permafree that's first in a series would be a HUGE disadvantage of the service to me.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #527 on: December 08, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
Not trying to pile on, but they would know by looking at your also-boughts. Two days ago, they were the rest of the books in your series (which is really *good* for a perma-free) and other angel/YA books. Today they're a bunch of.. well.. not books I would associate with yours and clearly ones that belong to people who also used this service. I'm glad you're happy with it, I guess, but having that kind of shake up of your also-boughts for a permafree that's first in a series would be a HUGE disadvantage of the service to me.

The alsobot issue is a huge one. I see a few erotica books in your ABs now, Lisa. That can be very problematic for some books/genres.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 08, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
I actually never realized this before, but you're right about her also-boughts not lining up with what people interested in that genre would typically buy. For the freebie I ran through this promotion, all of my also-boughts are still other books in my series. It's been 3 days since the promotion. Now I'm beginning to wonder if mine are going to change as well. The particular book I used this promotion for wasn't erotica.

Also, if you click on the other books in her also-boughts, those books have most of the same also-boughts, including Lisa's book.

This could be both good and bad. On the bad side, you're showing up on the also-boughts for books completely outside of your genre. On the good side, your book is now on the also-boughts of probably dozens of other highly ranked books.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:03:52 PM by KMatthew »

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 08, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
What proof? All I saw was an email saying that the downloads are coming from Amazon accounts. It doesn't mean they aren't all owned by one person, or being given incentives to download or whatever. I have emails here from Amazon too (one of which I posted already) that say that regardless of how you're doing it, if they aren't legitimate, "normal" customers (which the data overwhelmingly shows they are not), it's in violation of the ToS.

-
-
-

You're not reading the thread or ignoring responses, because I know of several authors, including Shelley Hitz, who have emailed Amazon with their concerns, and in every case, Amazon has said these are legitimate Kindle owners and Kindle ap owners doing the dls. This means that yes, they are potential readers.

Your inconsistency in the interpretation of clear facts from amazon shows your blatant lack of objectivity towards the service. Multiple people have come back with results from amazon, which you either slightly change the wording on, or ignore. But thanks for your comments anyway.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:13:46 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
You lost your right on calling out posters 'ignoring' anything when you have failed to answer very basic questions for 22 pages. And no that email doesn't disprove anything you have been asked or anything that has been insinuated. This might come as news but Amazon is MUCH bigger than books. A customer does not make a reader.

You know that very well.

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #531 on: December 08, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »
OK, folks--

Locking for at least the time being while we discuss in Admin.  I don't see any new information being posted and the questions, comments and accusations are going in circles.

Have a good evening.  I don't anticipate having a resolution for you until tomorrow.

Betsy

eta:  further communication from Amazon by members who tried this service indicate that using the service violates the ToS Authors agree to when uploading their books.  Please see This Thread for more current information. -- kboards moderators
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:38:49 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,
« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »
Hi,

This is Tom from FreebookService (FBS), a service that provides free book downloads for Kindle authors looking to expand their readerbase. We are posting this update to help new users and past users understand some of the issues that our service has had in the past regarding legitimacy and Amazon compliance. Multiple users on kboards and other websites emailed Amazon asking if our service was allowed and Amazon told them it was in accordance with ToS each time. Some time after our service began gaining traction, some authors on kboards allegedly received emails from Amazon that was to the contrary stating that our service was in some way against the terms of service of Amazon and that using us to promote could cause negative action towards authors. To show we are not trying to hide anything, here is the link where an author allegedly received an email from Amazon with the warning, http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,179247.0.html . We never received such an email from Amazon and if we had we would have acted accordingly to find out what their issue with our method of promotion was.

Now that our service has been running a full 12 months without one report of negative action towards any of our hundreds of authors that regularly use our service to promote their books we would like to show the public the reality of using our services track record is that not one author has ever been suspended for using our promotion services. The only response we have had in private has been positive and many of our customers have been loyal to us for the entire 12 months that we have been in business. We have publishers that use our books for multiple titles monthly and if any sort of negative action were to be placed against them because of our promotions we are sure we would hear about it. We have emailed Amazon countless times to find out exactly how our service was against the terms of service of Amazon with absolutely no response. Initially they told our clients that asked if our service was legitimate every single time. We believe the emails that stated our service was fraudulent may have originated from somebody other than Amazon because of the lack of response from them, also to add to this theory is the fact that the people that received the email stating we were a fraudulent service all had their emails publically posted on Kboards or other forums.

After 12 months of us running our service with absolutely no negative actions towards our authors or their books, the argument that our service is somehow non compliant with Amazon is just no longer valid. If there are authors against promotion, that's your prerogative, but there are authors out there having a hard time getting their name in the market and our service is a way they can do this. If someone is actively trying to prevent authors from promoting by using scare tactics such as getting their account suspended, that is unfair to the authors that can clearly benefit from promoting with us.

I understand that most of the negativity towards our service was because of the fact that we refuse to give out exact methods on how we acquire and maintain our reader base but doing so is one of the primary reasons we are still in business. If we were to divulge our exact methods of acquiring and more importantly protecting our reader base our business would be at jeopardy and our clients would be the ones paying the price. The results that our clients are receiving from our service has only gotten stronger over time and we firmly believe promoting your book for free on Amazon is one of the strongest methods for new customers to find your book. We are posting this just to update Kboards on our status in the market and that we haven't just disappeared. If anyone has had any negative action taken against their account or their books we would want to be the first to hear about it and fortunately we have had zero claims of that happening. We know this thread will eventually spiral into how much better Bookbub or any of the other services are than us but that isn't our intention, if any customers have questions they would like clarified they can PM us and we will be glad to get back to them.

Although there have been many negative opinions on our service (price and transparency) , we are going to give away 3 packages to Kboards members and we only ask that you give your honest experience with the service, free of the group sentiment towards our service.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline dkgould

• View Profile
    • Celebrate Imagination
Re: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,
« Reply #533 on: October 24, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
We have emailed Amazon countless times to find out exactly how our service was against the terms of service of Amazon with absolutely no response. Initially they told our clients that asked if our service was legitimate every single time. We believe the emails that stated our service was fraudulent may have originated from somebody other than Amazon because of the lack of response from them, also to add to this theory is the fact that the people that received the email stating we were a fraudulent service all had their emails publically posted on Kboards or other forums.

After 12 months of us running our service with absolutely no negative actions towards our authors or their books, the argument that our service is somehow non compliant with Amazon is just no longer valid.

I understand that most of the negativity towards our service was because of the fact that we refuse to give out exact methods on how we acquire and maintain our reader base but doing so is one of the primary reasons we are still in business.

While I'm glad to see that someone from your company has returned to update the company's position without being confrontational, I still have to say that your post has done nothing to alleviate the concerns that were already raised.  Emailing Amazon and settling for "no response" as tacit permission is not a very good business practice, and it's not going to be any comfort to people that you ran for 12 months "under the radar" when Amazon finally gets around to answering.  Even new authors here know how to escalate customer service issues until they reach an actual human being who will answer their questions.  Someone doing business that depends on another's policy should make sure they understand that policy and have a representative confirm it.  You've said some of your customers have received confirmation, but you as a business have not?  As to your second point, it was far more shady that you refused readers here that wanted to sign up as subscribers and turned away business, than that you wouldn't give us a step by step recruitment process. 

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2014, 01:17:06 PM »
Fair enough to say that Amazon has not reacted negatively to people using your service. Thanks for the update.

I would be interested to hear from any kboard members who have tried this  about sell-through after the promotion.
Members here are always enthusiastically sharing their experiences with promo sites (just add up all the posts about Fiverr) but I haven't heard anything about this one. Perhaps they aren't doing so because of all the shouting earlier, which is understandable.
Send me an IM :)

NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #535 on: October 24, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
Posting defensive messages is such a great way to alleviate people's concerns. Show us that you're not a clickfarm and we might bite.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 24, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Under review by moderator team.

EDIT by Betsy to add:

As KB policy is for service providers to have only one thread, we've merged this new thread with the existing thread for freebookservice.com while we discuss.  Thanks.

After review and discussion by the moderator team, it appears that nothing has changed since the original thread was locked: due to the warnings from Amazon posted by multiple members and due to the concerns of the community over the lack of transparency over how FBS results are achieved, we are going to stand by our earlier decision to not allow advertising by Freebookservice on this site.

Future new threads by members of Freebookservice will be removed as we do not allow new threads to be started when an existing service thread has been locked.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:14:48 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR