Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 67599 times)  

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 06:39:34 AM »
Freebookservice,

Are you affiliated with Kindle Domination?

http://freebookservice.com/

Its the name of the website (as you can see if you go there, yes)
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline JeanneM

• East Coast
    • View Profile
    • The Pet Medium
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
Thanks..I should have gone there first.  I may get that report.  My sales are blah.

Offline Ardin

• Elora, Ontario, Canada
  • Need ebook help? Try type-writer.net
    • View Profile
    • Ardin Lalui
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »
I want this!!! But I won't have $229 till January :(
I'm sooo broke.

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
What is Kindle Domination?
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
What is Kindle Domination?

That person was referring to our sales thread on warrior forum:

hxxp://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-special-offers-forum/850596-kindle-domination-free-kindle-download-promotion-service-hundreds-sales-afterwards.html

Note warrior forum seems to be giving some people on here a popup so I made the link not clickable.

Offline jimkukral

• View Profile
    • Author Marketing Club
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
Haven't used the service, and don't know the people behind it. But best advice is to always let the results speak for themselves. I encourage more people who try it to post their results here.
Jim F. Kukral The Tools the Best Selling Authors Use:   http://www.AuthorMarketingClub.com

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
I'm not a writer.  If I want to sign up to find out about free books through your service, how do I do so?

This is the question you still seem to be dodging. You may have "assured" us many times this isn't spam, but, in your words, "not to be rude," you still have not answered the question as to where the ads we're being asked to pay for wind up.

I need new services to promote just like everyone else. I'm willing to pay for effective ones. But honestly, wait 7 days isn't what I've found when it comes to selling series books while one is free. Even with the looooong reporting delay right now, we've sold 234 of the second book in one series over the last two days while the other book has been on free promo via BookBub (it hit #2). We're running another Top 100 Free book with far fewer downloads that's cross-promoting to another book in the same genre - not even the same series - and it's still sold 42 books of the cross-promoted book above it's normal volume.

I've run over 150 freebook promos through every algo change, with 6 books hitting #1 and a dozen more in the Top 6. Freebies aren't downloaded in a vacuum - especially not for folk who are savvy marketers in their cross-promoting (which I know 1 of the testers is, at least). I know what results free runs used to provide and what they provide today.

The long reporting delay is going to muddy the waters some, and I'm watching the results closely like everyone else. But when I purchase an ad, I do want to know where it's going, how it's being used, what the relevant demographics are, etc. I know of no other advertising venue that asks a client to purchase "blind." Give me the data any other advertiser will provide for the asking, and I'll happily become one of your best customers.

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
Can you explain more about this from your FAQ?  What happens if 1. We don't end the promo early? and 2. If we do end the promo early at the suggested times?

Thanks.

"One thing I would like to mention on this topic is, DO NOT under any circumstances let the promotion end on its own. You want to end your promotion manually within your kdp account on your second day of free when buyers are online (4pm-9pm EST).  Ending your promotion during these hours is the only way to get good results. This is extremely important."

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
This is the question you still seem to be dodging. You may have "assured" us many times this isn't spam, but, in your words, "not to be rude," you still have not answered the question as to where the ads we're being asked to pay for wind up.

I need new services to promote just like everyone else. I'm willing to pay for effective ones. But honestly, wait 7 days isn't what I've found when it comes to selling series books while one is free. Even with the looooong reporting delay right now, we've sold 234 of the second book in one series over the last two days while the other book has been on free promo via BookBub (it hit #2). We're running another Top 100 Free book with far fewer downloads that's cross-promoting to another book in the same genre - not even the same series - and it's still sold 42 books of the cross-promoted book above it's normal volume.

I've run over 150 freebook promos through every algo change, with 6 books hitting #1 and a dozen more in the Top 6. Freebies aren't downloaded in a vacuum - especially not for folk who are savvy marketers in their cross-promoting (which I know 1 of the testers is, at least). I know what results free runs used to provide and what they provide today.

The long reporting delay is going to muddy the waters some, and I'm watching the results closely like everyone else. But when I purchase an ad, I do want to know where it's going, how it's being used, what the relevant demographics are, etc. I know of no other advertising venue that asks a client to purchase "blind." Give me the data any other advertiser will provide for the asking, and I'll happily become one of your best customers.

The question is not being dodged, to be clear, the answer is "no". I feel like a broken record when I say we made these business decisions when we started the service, and don't intend on changing it at this point, due to the reasons we already outlined in the previous replies when we answered this type of question.

Can you explain more about this from your FAQ?  What happens if 1. We don't end the promo early? and 2. If we do end the promo early at the suggested times?

Thanks.

"One thing I would like to mention on this topic is, DO NOT under any circumstances let the promotion end on its own. You want to end your promotion manually within your kdp account on your second day of free when buyers are online (4pm-9pm EST).  Ending your promotion during these hours is the only way to get good results. This is extremely important."

Sorry that didnt make sense. Our clients from the warrior forum do KDP promotions and not permafree books like those from Kboards. That statement in the FAQ applies to kdp promos only. I just modified it to make it more understandable. Thanks.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »
The question is not being dodged, to be clear, the answer is "no". I feel like a broken record when I say we made these business decisions when we started the service, and don't intend on changing it at this point, due to the reasons we already outlined in the previous replies when we answered this type of question.

It's just that a lot of people want to pour money over your head (A LOT), and while I'm sure there are many people already makin' it rain in Freebookserviceville, you could get SO MUCH MORE if you present yourself to be a valid BB competitor and can demonstrate a few simple things. Like...the legality of your list. I spend thousands of dollars on BB every year. I book an ad every single month. And I will dump the same amount of love on you if I can sign up for your list and see how it works from the readers' end, and if sell-through from the downloads supports the cost.

I know I'm not the only one gagging for a BookBub competitor.

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »
Our clients from the warrior forum do KDP promotions and not permafree books like those from Kboards. That statement in the FAQ applies to kdp promos only.

Some authors here at Kboards will be considering using your service for 2-day promotions as well as those who are permafree.  What is the intention behind that strong advice to not let the promo run its full course?

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
It's just that a lot of people want to pour money over your head (A LOT), and while I'm sure there are many people already makin' it rain in Freebookserviceville, you could get SO MUCH MORE if you present yourself to be a valid BB competitor and can demonstrate a few simple things. Like...the legality of your list. I spend thousands of dollars on BB every year. I book an ad every single month. And I will dump the same amount of love on you if I can sign up for your list and see how it works from the readers' end, and if sell-through from the downloads supports the cost.

I know I'm not the only one gagging for a BookBub competitor.

Thanks for the insight-- Its something we may look into if we have problems with selling the service as it is right now.

Some authors here at Kboards will be considering using your service for 2-day promotions as well as those who are permafree.  What is the intention behind that strong advice to not let the promo run its full course?

We recommend that because we see a huge difference in volume of sales afterwards when the promotion is ended during the evening EST, rather than 3AM EST (which is the default if you let the promo run out on its own) Its just a matter of when "buyers" are online. You need that initial bump of sales to gain rank and ultimately snowball into tons of sales. A book that used this method of promotion we were able to bring to 300 in the entire paid kindle store which as you know is hundreds of sales.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »
Freebookservice, because of these two main points:

1. Your service was born on Warrior Forum, the scammiest, scummiest place on the internet.
2. You claim to have a secret, massive mailing list of avid readers of in huge variety of niches. A service for readers that no one has ever heard of or seems to be able to find.

It's going to be pretty tough to convince people that you simply don't have a network of 10,000+ fake amazon accounts (which is probably the case here, based on warrior forums track record), particularly because of #2. If your for-readers list was as robust as the advertising claims it to be, I'd think it would be a challenge NOT to be known - not the other way around. If you haven't noticed, just being associated with warrior forum at all has people scrutinizing your service with a microscope, and hiding your for-reader service only makes that worse.

As for authors following this thread: You have to remember, 10,000+ fake accounts downloading your book will still bring "some" results because it pushes you up the lists, thus giving you actual real readers.

Personally, to me, this seems like nothing more than the old buying of Facebook Likes and Twitter Followers (something also born on warrior forum), in which all the action was done using fake, duplicate, or stolen accounts. The fact that you're claiming you must keep your for-reader service a secret because of authors stealing each others marketing (what?), only helps to bolster that belief.

I do hope this turns out to be a legitimate service with a very nurtured and well cared for mailing list of readers that has been built up over the last couple years (but somehow without anyone knowing about your service), but if it's not, I hope that authors using this service don't get penalized when Amazon starts banning the malicious accounts used to facilitate these downloads and manipulate their store top lists.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:09:36 AM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline Tony Bertauski

• There's no place like home. Unless it's dysfunctio
    • View Profile
    • Bertauski
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
As I was typing...what Kat said.

Yes, it's hard to argue results, but it feeeels like there's a booger in the woodpile. If you're gaming the system, Zon will send its drones in to clean up. I'd love for this to be true (there's a need for another Bookbub!) but I think I'll wait on the sidelines to see how this shakes out. Or at least until there's more disclosure on where the readers come from and why new ones can't sign up.

Offline EmC

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
ETA: Kat typed up her response at the same time I did mine, but I agree with everything she says! :)

The point I was making is that the quality of the 10,000 leads is what matters, far more then the quantity. For all we know they are running a bot network and not a single one of those 10,000 is actually a person. The conversion rate will give us a clue to that.

^^ This is my concern. That these downloads are from bots or fake accounts.

The refusal to share how we (many of whom, like me, download free books all the time) might sign up for these lists is a MAJOR red flag. You say you're protecting your business secrets--but if you're *guaranteeing* 10K downloads to multiple books a day across various genres, your reach should already be HUGE (I'm assuming not every person who opted in will be interested in downloading EVERY book you promote, so the reach must extend far past the minimum guarantee).  You're concerned about *us* learning your business secrets, but not the tens of thousands of people who are downloading these books through your promotions? How do you know that none of them are authors or entrepreneurs or might steal the idea? Frankly, your lack of openness about this in particular is what makes it sound like these downloads might not be from real people at all.

This is a not-uncommon strategy in the world of apps: using bot downloads to bump an app way up the charts where it gets more visibility so more organic downloads take place. It's not a strategy that I'm particularly interested in paying for myself.

Obviously, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at your business--all of the downloads these people are seeing may very well be from real people. But I did want to point out the specific part of your explanation that turned me off. I don't need to know all the inner workings of something like this, BUT if I were to give you money, I'd like to know HOW you let real people know that my book is free. If I purchase an ad on a website or mailing list or something, I'm not just concerned with the number of downloads. I'm also concerned with 1) impression that ad gives of my brand and my book, and 2) QUALITY of those downloads. Withholding information about how you're targeting potential readers of mine makes me question the methods you're using.

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
Freebookservice, because of these two main points:

1. Your service was born on Warrior Forum, the scammiest, scummiest place on the internet.
2. You claim to have a secret, massive mailing list of avid readers of in huge variety of niches. A service for readers that no one has ever heard of or seems to be able to find.

It's going to be pretty tough to convince people that you simply don't have a network of 10,000+ fake amazon accounts (which is probably the case here, based on warrior forums track record), particularly because of #2. If your for-readers list was as robust as the advertising claims it to be, I'd think it would be a challenge NOT to be known - not the other way around. If you haven't noticed, just being associated with warrior forum at all has people scrutinizing your service with a microscope, and hiding your for-reader service only makes that worse.

As for authors following this thread: You have to remember, 10,000+ fake accounts downloading your book will still bring "some" results because it pushes you up the lists, thus giving you actual real readers.

Personally, to me, this seems like nothing more than the old buying of Facebook Likes and Twitter Followers (something also born on warrior forum), in which all the action was done using fake, duplicate, or stolen accounts. The fact that you're claiming you must keep your for-reader service a secret because of authors stealing each others marketing (what?), only helps to bolster that belief.

I do hope this turns out to be a legitimate service with a very nurtured and well cared for mailing list of readers that has been built up over the last couple years (but without anyone knowing about your service), but if it's not, I hope that authors using this service don't get penalized when Amazon starts banning the malicious accounts used to facilitate these downloads and manipulate their store top lists.

Nailed it.

Bookbub have a million members to get all their downloads. And freebookservice has to have something similar if his service is legit (if he's showing books to lots of readers and having them pick the ones they want and deciding to read them). Yet instead of advertising looking for readers (Bookbub spent a lot of money doing this), he somehow collected this million strong reader list by keeping it secret. And he doesn't want any more readers on his list! And, unlike Bookbub, his readers don't care about the quality of books he is recommending.

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »

We recommend that because we see a huge difference in volume of sales afterwards when the promotion is ended during the evening EST, rather than 3AM EST (which is the default if you let the promo run out on its own) Its just a matter of when "buyers" are online. You need that initial bump of sales to gain rank and ultimately snowball into tons of sales. A book that used this method of promotion we were able to bring to 300 in the entire paid kindle store which as you know is hundreds of sales.

From two of the Kboarders in the test run:
Update:

My downloads have slowed to practically nothing. I've been sitting within a few downloads of 9800 for nearly an hour now. I know, I know. I probably shouldn't be monitoring the downloads constantly. Strange that they should drop off so rapidly, though. This could be due to a number of factors. I mean, it's pretty late at night, so that's likely to contribute. Perhaps the promo's magic has worn off? KDP's reporting is still bungled or is currently slowing down? Hard to say. As of this post I've sold 3 books in my series. This morning, before starting the promo, that number was 0.

Let's see where this goes from here.

Oddly, the downloads went from nearly 1000 an hour to only a handful. Just like that. Never seen that before.

Anyone who has any experience with sending out emails to a mailing list knows that not everyone opens a promotional email at the same time, or even on the same day. Mailing to a list capable of producing these volumes of downloads in such a short amount of time should see a gradual and steep decline in opens as days and weeks continue to pass, not a 90 degree drop the moment the promotion days are over. Naturally, this wouldn't be noticed when advertising books that aren't permafree, because the books go back to paid status.

Not saying I have any proof either way, just playing devil's advocate, but this result here screams malicious account activity to me. Advocating people end promotions early seems like a ploy to hide the immediate drop off.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:36:20 AM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
Nailed it.

Bookbub have a million members to get all their downloads. And freebookservice has to have something similar if his service is legit (if he's showing books to lots of readers and having them pick the ones they want and deciding to read them). Yet instead of advertising looking for readers (Bookbub spent a lot of money doing this), he somehow collected this million strong reader list by keeping it secret. And he doesn't want any more readers on his list! And, unlike Bookbub, his readers don't care about the quality of books he is recommending.

Please read the first post (the paragraph in bold) as to how the list was originally built.

I realize that no matter what I say there will be skeptics. Please read the reviews of the service and choose whether to purchase or not from those.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »
Here's the thing: I'm a fairly voracious reader. But I am not an author. As a reader, I watch bookbub, ebooklovers, and kboards blog for free books.

But it seems that I can not sign up for notifications from your service. Which makes me really skeptical about its legitimacy.

I also looked at the website you linked to, and I have to say, it just screams "SCAM" to me, sorry. :(

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
Please read the first post (the paragraph in bold) as to how the list was originally built.

I realize that no matter what I say there will be skeptics. Please read the reviews of the service and choose whether to purchase or not from those.

I read that. Your explanation doesn't add up for me. How many readers in your list? How many downloads for a 4.5star rated romance with great cover and great blurb? How many downloads for a 3.2star literary novel with only 5 reviews and no cover? Both get over 10K if they pay you the full amount, right?

I believe you can get the number of downloads you say. I don't believe that there are actual readers at the other end.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:04:02 AM by David J Normoyle »

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline cvwriter

• View Profile
    • Courtney Vail
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
Other freebie sites push books, while you are only pushing an obscure, blind service to authors that new readers can't be added into. Is your reader list continually growing by your secret methods? Can you post a sample ad that you mail out or at least say what goes in it?  Do you send multiple books in one day or one at a time? What are the more popular genres? I write YA? Do you have YA readers or some for all genres/categories? What about smaller, specific markets like Christian or literary?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:05:46 AM by cvwriter »
Get it FREE >> Get it FREE >>       

Offline MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
Hmm. That dropoff from zillions of DLs to almost nothing is . . . odd.

Online Estelle Ryan

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
My downloads as of 14:11 (EST). I'm still at #8 overall. No significant uptick in sales.

Estelle Ryan | website | blog | facebook

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
My downloads as of 14:11 (EST). I'm still at #8 overall. No significant uptick in sales.

Looks like you did get three reviews since the promotion, though.

Online Estelle Ryan

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
Looks like you did get three reviews since the promotion, though.

True, but those might be from my Bookbub ad two weeks ago - people had time to read. This is the hard part with marketing and advertising. It's hard to assess exactly where all the results come from.

Estelle Ryan | website | blog | facebook