Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 70094 times)  

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
I have been on the 'net since '92 and am amazed at how civil this has stayed.  8)

I am still holding to my assumption that he is not a scammer, and is just really bad with web page design.  :P I rather assume that and be wrong, then assume evil and be wrong.

I know nothing about the Warrior Forums and do not care to find out. IMO just becuase he comes from a bad forum does not make him a bad person. I would hate for you all to find out I am from New Jersey.... ops!  :P I never heard of this "freebookservice" before this this thread. I have advertising money to give him, but my budget is tight. What SMR, myself and others have asked for is evidence of results. It is the only way many of us will be convinced.

freebookservice, stick it out. Post the follow on sales these downloads generate. If numbers like myself, SMR, and others posted are ball park hit - then many of us will be sending you money. I believe that to be fair request. We are not asking you to let the magic dust our of your box, just show us the dust works. I think it would be fair to say most authors are not interested in FREE downloads, they are interested in readers. If you really deliver readers, this forum will defend you tooth and nail till the end of time. If you merely deliver free downloads, then the value of your service is pretty low.

Send me readers, and like SMR so nicely put it I will be like, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" :)

Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
    • The Case Files of Edgar Sullivan
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
Nearing 15K downloads. I'm at 6 sales, where I had 0 before the promo began. Dunno if sales reporting is stuck, but that's still 6 more sales than I had yesterday haha. The days to come will be interesting so far as buy-through is concerned. Wonder how much stickiness this run will give us. Rank has slipped a bit for all three of us, which is to be expected. I'm at #20 atm, I believe.

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
Here is a thought experiment.

1 ) freebookservice says they have "qualified" email accounts who want free books in a variety of genres.
2 ) "Qualified" suggests many things, but I would suggest a definition: "a customer who reliably downloads free books in their favorite genre(s)."
3 ) That reliability is key for freebookservice to make their guarantee.
4 ) This suggests that freebookservice, in order to make the case they do, has *past performance* before their sales began.
5 ) Past performance isn't just verified by freebookservice. Sales metrics would show it as well.

This leads to a concluding question: had any author here ever had a surge of 2,500 to 10,000 sales in a day or two that was out of nowhere and entirely inexplicable. (Since no one knows where the list came from, it would by nature be inexplicable sales)

I think, from being on the forums for a few years, that this doesn't happen. I can't imagine how the service could be as advertised.

I'm sorry, freebookservice, that you feel unwelcome but you're not just a new guy, you're selling an expensive service with a lot of questions. That's a whole different thing.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »
I have been on the 'net since '92 and am amazed at how civil this has stayed.  8)

I am still holding to my assumption that he is not a scammer, and is just really bad with web page design.  :P I rather assume that and be wrong, then assume evil and be wrong.

I know nothing about the Warrior Forums and do not care to find out. IMO just becuase he comes from a bad forum does not make him a bad person. I would hate for you all to find out I am from New Jersey.... ops!  :P I never heard of this "freebookservice" before this this thread. I have advertising money to give him, but my budget is tight. What SMR, myself and others have asked for is evidence of results. It is the only way many of us will be convinced.

freebookservice, stick it out. Post the follow on sales these downloads generate. If numbers like myself, SMR, and others posted are ball park hit - then many of us will be sending you money. I believe that to be fair request. We are not asking you to let the magic dust our of your box, just show us the dust works. I think it would be fair to say most authors are not interested in FREE downloads, they are interested in readers. If you really deliver readers, this forum will defend you tooth and nail till the end of time. If you merely deliver free downloads, then the value of your service is pretty low.

Send me readers, and like SMR so nicely put it I will be like, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" :)

Well, If I can handle this mental battery for 2-3 more weeks we can see peoples results on their Book2.

There really isnt any more new questions until those numbers show up anyway.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline Danni

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
If you have an empire of books, did you test out the trickle-down effect toward those purchases after the free run?

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
If you have an empire of books, did you test out the trickle-down effect toward those purchases after the free run?

I do have quite the number of books, however my testing has been on solo books using a KDP promo rather than doing books with permafree that lead up to paid sequels. I did not feel that I was competent enough to be able to get a series that would work well for that kind of promo. Its amazing to see that the larger portion of people on here do the permafree route.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
Nobody is secretive about promotion. That's just ridiculous. Promotion by its very nature isn't secretive and you can't possibly have a formula that changes that.

Nope. Some people are pretty quiet about what they do. For every indie who posts their numbers and tips for other authors in a blog, there are far more reading those posts and not contributing. I post tips in here, and I try to help, because I'm an artist and contributing to the community makes me happy. But I'm not going to give away everything with a bow, to people who don't.

Also, I think we're getting away from the point here. Regardless of how the sausage is made, is the service worth $229?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:47:56 PM by Dalya »

Offline jimkukral

• View Profile
    • Author Marketing Club
« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
It's pretty obvious that revealing more details on how this works would be letting you know how the "secret sauce" is created. I get why he needs to protect it, and I get why we feel the need to know it. But in the end, he's gotta make that decision to reveal it or not, and we have to decide whether to trust them and buy it or not.

If the emails are being sent from something like Mailchimp, then it's double opted in, and that means they are real people. Which means they chose to receive information, which is really the only reason it probably works anyway. I highly, highly doubt these are fake Amazon accounts. You'd have to have tens of thousands of them and Amazon would catch on too fast.
Jim F. Kukral The Tools the Best Selling Authors Use:   http://www.AuthorMarketingClub.com

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
Nope. Some people are pretty quiet about what they do. For every indie who posts their numbers and tips for other authors in a blog, there are far more reading those posts and not contributing. I post tips in here, and I try to help, because I'm an artist and contributing to the community makes me happy. But I'm not going to give away everything with a bow, to people who don't.

Also, I think we're getting away from the point here. Regardless of how the sausage is made, is the service worth $229?

What I meant is that if your book is in a promo (whether that be Bookbub or freebookservice) people are going to know about it. You can't do anything, at that point, to hide that you are promoting. The implication was that his clients don't want others to know that they are promoting.

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:27 PM »
What I meant is that if your book is in a promo (whether that be Bookbub or freebookservice) people are going to know about it. You can't do anything, at that point, to hide that you are promoting. The implication was that his clients don't want others to know that they are promoting.

But "freebookservice" isn't the consumer-side brand, so your competitors wouldn't know, if the emails are going out as BananaMonkeyPajamas emails.

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »
Proceed at your own risk.

This reminds me of those horror movies when the audience is screaming at the screen telling the girl not to go into the room where she just heard a blood-curdling scream.

Before I even signed up for my first Bookbub ad, I signed up. I needed to check it out first for myself. See how well the books in the ads did. I did it for 2 weeks, checking all the sites to see how well the books did. I bought an ad when I was satisfied I'd get result worth the money I was paying. I see absolutely NO WAY to do that here. Not a one.

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
Reporting back. Bought the Platinum pack for $229.

Downloads as of right now: 12627.

This took Billionaire Bound from #4984 in free list to #17. It also moved it to #1 in Erotica and #1 in Genre Fiction.

However, I have books 2&3 in this series as permafree also. They have an almost 100% conversion rate because when people buy book one they straight away grab the other two. I have had a grand total of *4* downloads of book 2 and *1* of book #3.

I have a compilation of the entire series. It has had one extra sale.

It's quite puzzling to me that books two and three would also not see higher downloads given my conversion rate between them in the past has been near 100%.

Thus far I have not earned $229 from this experiment. Will see if the conversion rates start to go up soon on books two and three.

Do you usually see conversions right away?

Offline Danni

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2013, 07:38:43 PM »
A service that offers FREE books to Kindle readers!
But won't let any Kindle readers sign up for the mailing list so they can get free books.

I'm done.

:-\

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
Reporting back. Bought the Platinum pack for $229.

Downloads as of right now: 12627.

This took Billionaire Bound from #4984 in free list to #17. It also moved it to #1 in Erotica and #1 in Genre Fiction.

However, I have books 2&3 in this series as permafree also. They have an almost 100% conversion rate because when people buy book one they straight away grab the other two. I have had a grand total of *4* downloads of book 2 and *1* of book #3.

I have a compilation of the entire series. It has had one extra sale.

It's quite puzzling to me that books two and three would also not see higher downloads given my conversion rate between them in the past has been near 100%.

Thus far I have not earned $229 from this experiment. Will see if the conversion rates start to go up soon on books two and three.

In contrast I have a friend who had a BookBub ad run today on a freebie and her other book not even in the same series that is free is seeing a very decent and clear conversion rate.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »
On the other hand, this could be a super interesting way to tell how many downloads come from list visibility alone.

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
On the other hand, this could be a super interesting way to tell how many downloads come from list visibility alone.

Stats!

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »
The maw, it hungers.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2013, 07:55:39 PM »

Or more. According to the website, these are promotional prices. They go up on Thursday, but it doesn't say by how much.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »
Or more. According to the website, these are promotional prices. They go up on Friday, but it doesn't say by how much.

Original price quoted on Warrior Forum is over $300, iirc, but I'm not going back to check.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
If the emails are being sent from something like Mailchimp, then it's double opted in, and that means they are real people. Which means they chose to receive information, which is really the only reason it probably works anyway. I highly, highly doubt these are fake Amazon accounts. You'd have to have tens of thousands of them and Amazon would catch on too fast.

Which is more likely here?

1. That this guy has access to or purchasing access to several batches of thousands of fake accounts running on a timed script?

Or

2. That he's built a million+ user free book recommendation service that not a single reader on this forum has heard of or can track getting an email from, ever? AND he doesn't want more readers signing up, AND that out performs bookbub on free downloads? (Just typing that makes me feel rediculous.)

Google:

Kindle Domination

which brings up a link to the kindle domination pdf by Thomas Utt (Not Thomas Glenn as his purchase emails state, but then again, we all use pen names). Going up one level on the server directory shows: imadvise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ (imadvise.com also registered to Thomas Utt). There lies plenty of book about CPA networking and all that internet marketing jazz. Cost Per Action marketing is all about getting a user to do something for exchange of cash.

Botting CPA offers is old news, but in Amazon's case, not so much... as this is probably new ground for them to deal with.

It also leads to the email uttsmarketing@gmail.com - following that through Google shows his threads on warrior forum where he's selling Solo Email blasts under the username Thomas1984.

Googling that username and warrior forum reveals an interesting conversation about using freelance sites to purchase traffic for your CPA offers, or in this case, in 2013, probably amazon book downloads.

Now granted, none of this is a smoking gun, but based on the reports of people here and the shadiness surrounding it all, how much more compelling evidence do you actually need? It's got Warrior Forum scam crap 101 written all over it in big, bold, flashing letters. :(

If emily's results don't prove that these are fake accounts or whatever (going from near 100% conversion rates to .04%), then nothing will.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:01:53 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »

Very interesting.

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Kat, you and I are on the same page. I don't buy it for a second.

I actually think this:

Yup. The numbers climb up at almost the exact same rate. It's not buy, read, buy, read. When readers see that the first three are free they download all at once before reading.

When they first went permafree they had about 400 downloads in a day or so. All three titles were on par.

... is the smoking gun.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:04:08 PM by K.B. Parker »

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
    • The Case Files of Edgar Sullivan
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
Nice detective work there, Kat. And thanks for sharing your numbers, Emily. Might've just proven it is a sham after all.

Most interesting. I wonder if the OP will chime in on any of these findings.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »
Nice detective work there, Kat. And thanks for sharing your numbers, Emily. Might've just proven it is a sham after all.

Most interesting. I wonder if the OP will chime in on any of these findings.

Not all my own work. KB'ers are voracious.

Interesting to note that none of the searches in all this produce anything that even resembles anything close to optins for free book recommendations though. Emily's results alone are staggering. Way beyond any statistical probabilities or "reader delays."

Offline SBJones

• View Profile
    • SBJones Publishing
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
Okay, that totally makes sense now and fits all of the observations.  Yes, there are real people out there clicking the buy it now button on your book.  It appears to be an incentive type of marketing.  Similar to all of the ads and marketing you see about filling out surveys for points.  Points that are later exchanged for gift cards and other items.  So say 10 people pay $300 each to have their book promoted, they go in and set up a task; click these ten links and download these free books, earn 100 farmville bucks or whatever.  

These take our survey for rewards can all be limited on the number of completions, thus the easy 2500, 5000, 10k quick downloads then it cuts off suddenly because it doesn't take very long for the stay at home people to burn through them thinking they can make thousands of dollars a month by filling out surveys.  

Are these people actually interested in your book or just interested in their 100 game points?  Some may go on to read your book when the candy crush server is down, but almost all of them won't.  This is why you do not see any corresponding downloads to your other free books because they were never there to click anything other than that specific by now button that had a trigger link.  All of this can be filtered with an initial questionnaire as well so people who don't like romance are not getting romance links in their tasks.  This can produce better results than just mass farming the task.

Or I could TOTALLY be wrong.  If this is how they are doing it, then the ethics are completely different than a bot farm.