Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 70007 times)  

Offline Greg Strandberg

• Missoula, Montana
  • Ask About Free Editing
    • View Profile
    • BigSkyWords
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2013, 02:22:33 AM »
Boy, what a slog getting through those 11 pages.

So why are sites like this operating, bot sites or forced sites or whatever?  What is driving this huge demand to them? 

We can point our fingers at BookBub, the undisputed king of the hill for eBook advertising, and I think their success is partly to blame.  Yeah, sounds bad, but their selectivity ensures that people will go other, shadier routes.  Now there's dozens if not hundreds of others sites out there like BookBub, and about a dozen or so have quite a significant reach.  But is that good enough?

Yeah, authors want downloads, paid or otherwise.  When you take money out of it your goal is really to get as many clicks on that button in a set amount of time as possible.  Heck, rats in a lab can do that.  I guess anyone with a perma-free knows how useless many of those downloads are, and that really the sales on books 2 and 3, and possibly some reviews on book 1, are really the only thing free is good for.

Sites like this might get you up on the charts and some visibility, but like someone else said, you can't make someone buy (even free) something they don't want.  With these sites authors are in a way making people do something they don't want to do, however indirectly.  And there is an effect on other authors, perhaps those that are doing more 'traditional' advertising for good bucks who's efforts are being thwarted.  Maybe they almost got to #20 but only made it to #21.  Doesn't sound like much but how many times do you click over on that other page?

I don't know, this is a difficult one, that's for sure.

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #251 on: December 04, 2013, 03:01:26 AM »
Reporting back. Bought the Platinum pack for $229.

Downloads as of right now: 12627.

This took Billionaire Bound from #4984 in free list to #17. It also moved it to #1 in Erotica and #1 in Genre Fiction.

However, I have books 2&3 in this series as permafree also. They have an almost 100% conversion rate because when people buy book one they straight away grab the other two. I have had a grand total of *4* downloads of book 2 and *1* of book #3.

I have a compilation of the entire series. It has had one extra sale.

It's quite puzzling to me that books two and three would also not see higher downloads given my conversion rate between them in the past has been near 100%.

Thus far I have not earned $229 from this experiment. Will see if the conversion rates start to go up soon on books two and three.

Yup. The numbers climb up at almost the exact same rate. It's not buy, read, buy, read. When readers see that the first three are free they download all at once before reading.

Just wanted to quote this in case anyone missed it. It clearly shows that these are not real readers as such. (Seems from another post they are download elves rather than bots, but more or less same thing)

Emily has the first three books free. She advertised the first one.

Expected behavior for real readers deciding they wanted to read based on finding out about the book from an ad.
Bk1 downloads 12626
Bk2 downloads 10000+
Bk3 downloads 10000+

Actual behavior
Bk1 downloads 12626
Bk2 downloads 4
Bk3 downloads 1

Not much room for doubt.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:03:40 AM by David J Normoyle »

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline micki

• Malawi-Africa
  • The first draft of anything is [crap]. ― Ernest H
    • View Profile
    • Before the Daisies Grow
« Reply #252 on: December 04, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »
This maybe a stupid question: Doesn't Amazon lose money on free e-books when you take into consideration their delivery costs? If Free Book Service suddenly boosts the free e-book downloads with the impressive numbers they guarantee, surely soon than later Amazon will cotton onto this and maybe close down all free e-books. If we all paid for what Thomas is offering, and Amazon realises this and does decide to chop free e-books, are we not shooting ourselves in the foot so as to speak. 

Offline Usedtopostheretoo!

• Scarborough, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 04, 2013, 03:17:49 AM »
Has anyone clicked on the link in his very first message (sample book that was not his own) and found that it makes your browser go ape[crap] crazy? Tabs automatically opened, and continued to open...repeatedly. I had to force quit Safari. When I restarted Safari, the "x" button on the  browser tabs had vanished. I had to reset Safari.

I'm just curious...because the instant that happened, I told myself..."something isn't right hereat all."

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #254 on: December 04, 2013, 03:47:48 AM »
It didn't affect my browser on my iPad; of course, that's a whole 'nother thing.  Doesn't surprise me, though, even if they're legit, there's a whole lot of stuff going on in the book description on that page....

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Mandy

• Under a Carolina blue sky
    • View Profile
    • My journey as a middle ear implant clinical trial patient
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2013, 04:10:31 AM »
Just trying a different tactic:

freebookservice, are you saying that these 10,000+ book downloads are 100% coming from real people who willingly signed up for your mailing list that promotes free ebooks?

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2013, 04:55:59 AM »
Which is more likely here?

1. That this guy has access to or purchasing access to several batches of thousands of fake accounts running on a timed script?

Or

2. That he's built a million+ user free book recommendation service that not a single reader on this forum has heard of or can track getting an email from, ever? AND he doesn't want more readers signing up, AND that out performs bookbub on free downloads? (Just typing that makes me feel rediculous.)

Google:

Kindle Domination

which brings up a link to the kindle domination pdf by Thomas Utt (Not Thomas Glenn as his purchase emails state, but then again, we all use pen names). Going up one level on the server directory shows: imadvise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ (imadvise.com also registered to Thomas Utt). There lies plenty of book about CPA networking and all that internet marketing jazz. Cost Per Action marketing is all about getting a user to do something for exchange of cash.

Botting CPA offers is old news, but in Amazon's case, not so much... as this is probably new ground for them to deal with.

It also leads to the email uttsmarketing@gmail.com - following that through Google shows his threads on warrior forum where he's selling Solo Email blasts under the username Thomas1984.

Googling that username and warrior forum reveals an interesting conversation about using freelance sites to purchase traffic for your CPA offers, or in this case, in 2013, probably amazon book downloads.

Now granted, none of this is a smoking gun, but based on the reports of people here and the shadiness surrounding it all, how much more compelling evidence do you actually need? It's got Warrior Forum scam crap 101 written all over it in big, bold, flashing letters. :(

If emily's results don't prove that these are fake accounts or whatever (going from near 100% conversion rates to .04%), then nothing will.

Whoever thomas utt is, is selling something in 2013 to do with kindle, Yes it happens to use the same word "domination" as a tagline: hxxp://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-special-offers-forum/737090-kindle-domination-if-your-not-publishing-kindle-your-throwing-money-away.html

In any case, what is wrong with purchasing traffic to a cpa offer? Aren't you just talking about pay per click?

It didn't affect my browser on my iPad; of course, that's a whole 'nother thing.  Doesn't surprise me, though, even if they're legit, there's a whole lot of stuff going on in the book description on that page....

Betsy

Yes that book has all sorts of HTML in the description. Its a representation of what was possible before the changes made at the end of october, none of which HTML you can use anymore in a kindle book description. That persons book is simply grandfathered in.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:02:58 AM by freebookservice »
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2013, 05:34:41 AM »

Expected behavior for real readers deciding they wanted to read based on finding out about the book from an ad.
Bk1 downloads 12626
Bk2 downloads 10000+
Bk3 downloads 10000+

Actual behavior
Bk1 downloads 12626
Bk2 downloads 4
Bk3 downloads 1

Not much room for doubt.

So, if i may ask, if the first 10,000 are fake, and the 2626 downloads after that are real from being in the top list, then why is her bk2 only 4 downloads if she has a 100% buy through rate?

You guys give boobkbub 2-3 weeks to "see the buythrough" and giving my service under 24H. So sweet.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:57:16 AM by freebookservice »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2013, 05:54:21 AM »
David was summarizing emily's results from earlier in the thread:  she was clear that her usual sales pattern is that people find the first book and, as all three are free, they just pick them all up at the same time.  So, for her, the numbers are all nearly the same all the time.  

Her point was that she got a lot of downloads of book one, but she's skeptical they're actual readers because, in her experience, actual readers also go and get the 2nd and 3rd right away.  And that didn't happen.  

In fact, someone here asked her about that and she explained it:

Yup. The numbers climb up at almost the exact same rate. It's not buy, read, buy, read. When readers see that the first three are free they download all at once before reading.

When they first went permafree they had about 400 downloads in a day or so. All three titles were on par.

And she didn't actually mention BookBub at all in her original report. (see reply #216 on page 9)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:58:03 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Paul Kohler

• Littleton, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • PaulKohler.net
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2013, 05:56:35 AM »
So, if i may ask, if the first 10,000 are fake, and the 2626 downloads after that are real from being in the top list, then why is her bk2 only 4 downloads if she has a 100% buy through rate?

You give boobkbub 2-3 weeks to "see the buythrough" and giving my service under 24H. So sweet.

You missed the point here completely.  The example posted is for other free books by the author.  If I click on a free book and download it, I will certainly grab all the other books from the author that are currently free at the time.  Why?  Because I am not a bot.  I can see the other titles listed for free on the same page.  Only a real person can see that.  The bots cannot.  The Bookbub comparison you state is for buythrough for other books the author has FOR MONEY.  I would nearly guarantee that any Bookbub feature that had additional free books would also be downloaded at the same time.
Detour, Book Two of the Humanity's Edge Trilogy is now available! Click the cover today!
Paul B. Kohler | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2013, 06:02:12 AM »
You missed the point here completely.  The example posted is for other free books by the author.  If I click on a free book and download it, I will certainly grab all the other books from the author that are currently free at the time.  Why?  Because I am not a bot.  I can see the other titles listed for free on the same page.  Only a real person can see that.  The bots cannot.  The Bookbub comparison you state is for buythrough for other books the author has FOR MONEY.  I would nearly guarantee that any Bookbub feature that had additional free books would also be downloaded at the same time.

Well. . . I don't know that I would be willing to be so certain.  I might pick up the first in a series that's free but not get the others until I've read at least part of the first one.  Even if the others are free.  So while it's true that a 'bot or a person clicking for coins for CrazyPirateGame are not likely to do any more than the ONE they're shown, it's not certain that an actual real person definitely will.  Though, arguably, they're more likely to.

The real point it seems to me, is that emily has data showing that, for her, at least, the numbers on all 3 books are about the same normally.  And there was a great discrepancy after using this service.

But, again, freebookservice has made it clear that he's not necessarily guaranteeing readers, only 'downloads' of the book promoted.  And that's supposed to raise ranking, thus increasing visibility so now some real people who are actual readers will find the book and buy it. After that, it's down to whether it's a good book or not. ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:03:57 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »

No i think you missed the point completely. Her book is on the top rank right now on amazon, and shes not getting downloads to her 2nd book yet...basically giving it no time to happen. Why? I dont know, but you guys are making that part up to me for some reason, when its not.

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
But, again, freebookservice has made it clear that he's not necessarily guaranteeing readers, only 'downloads' of the book promoted.  And that's supposed to raise ranking, thus increasing visibility so now some real people who are actual readers will find the book and buy it. After that, it's down to whether it's a good book or not. ;)

So you're buying ranks. Likely because of downloads by people who have no interest in your book.
Like someone above said, it's only a matter of time before Amazon stomps all over that, hurting productive companies like BookBub in the process.

I haven't read the entire thread. Is it imploding yet? Someone let me know what the final outcome is.  :P
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »
So you're buying ranks. Likely because of downloads by people who have no interest in your book.
Like someone above said, it's only a matter of time before Amazon stomps all over that, hurting productive companies like BookBub in the process.

I haven't read the entire thread. Is it imploding yet? Someone let me know what the final outcome is.  :P

Well, to be fair. . . . all that the OP has said is that he's selling guaranteed downloads.  The rest of my comment is my reasoning as to why buying downloads might be a good thing to do.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Estelle Ryan

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2013, 06:45:55 AM »
I emailed Amazon. This was my email:

Hi!

I have a strange question. A new service (Freebookservice - http://freebookservice.com/) is offering good results for authors. For $xx, they guarantee 2,500 or 5,000 or 10,000 downloads for books that are free on Amazon. This could be very useful for authors who have permafree books (like me) or authors with Select days.

On a forum I visit there is a huge discussion about this, and Freebookservice offered their product to a few authors to prove that they are legit. I was curious and accepted this offer. Through some magic means they promoted The Gauguin Connection (B008X3NCRE) and I'm rather pleased with the results.

My question: Is there any way that Amazon can authenticate the 14,000 downloads I've had in the last 24-something hours? Did it come from download-elves? Fake accounts? Real people who buy real books?

If you could look into this for me, I would be most grateful!

A million thank you's.

Estelle Ryan

Their reply:

Make of it what you will. I'm am leaning towards believing these guys are not super-computer Black Hat geniuses giggling into their sweaty sleeves (while sitting in their mom's basement). Also: I'm now at 18,127 downloads, #20 on the Free list and my sales are on the good side of normal.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:56:44 AM by Estelle Ryan »

Estelle Ryan | website | blog | facebook

Offline VydorScope

• USA
  • "Perseverance over skill, every time"-- V. Trigili
    • View Profile
    • My Novels
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2013, 06:48:53 AM »

I think this is the key that is being missed / forgotten every few pages here. We authors assume adverts will get us READERS but freebookservice is selling DOWNLOADS. When you pay freebookservice money he is delivering the exposure of the top 100 list, not readers. The HOPE is that the exposure in the list will draw readers.

I made the same bad assumption. I thought his 10,000 was READERS, but he never said that. He said he would get you DOWNLOADS. His service does exactly what he said it would.

Bookbub delivers potential READERS - there service is DIFFERENT. He has said that too.

Now, whether or not the service is ethical, or smart is up to each person's opinion. Whether or not it works we will see over the next couple weeks.
Vincent 
"INDESCRIBABLY ALLURING" -- S.M. Reine
My Author Website | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | My Deviant Art Gallery

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:26 AM »
I think this is the key that is being missed / forgotten every few pages here. We authors assume adverts will get us READERS but freebookservice is selling DOWNLOADS. When you pay freebookservice money he is delivering the exposure of the top 100 list, not readers. The HOPE is that the exposure in the list will draw readers.

I made the same bad assumption. I thought his 10,000 was READERS, but he never said that. He said he would get you DOWNLOADS. His service does exactly what he said it would.

Bookbub delivers potential READERS - there service is DIFFERENT. He has said that too.

Now, whether or not the service is ethical, or smart is up to each person's opinion. Whether or not it works we will see over the next couple weeks.

Correct, I only offer a money back guarantee on a number of downloads, as nobody can guarantee cover-to-cover reads.

Hi!

I have a strange question. A new service (Freebookservice - http://freebookservice.com/) is offering good results for authors. For $xx, they guarantee 2,500 or 5,000 or 10,000 downloads for books that are free on Amazon. This could be very useful for authors who have permafree books (like me) or authors with Select days.

On a forum I visit there is a huge discussion about this, and Freebookservice offered their product to a few authors to prove that they are legit. I was curious and accepted this offer. Through some magic means they promoted The Gauguin Connection (B008X3NCRE) and I'm rather pleased with the results.

My question: Is there any way that Amazon can authenticate the 14,000 downloads I've had in the last 24-something hours? Did it come from download-elves? Fake accounts? Real people who buy real books?

A million thank you's.

Estelle Ryan

Their reply:

Make of it what you will. I'm am leaning towards believing these guys are not super-computer Black Hat geniuses giggling into their sweaty sleeves (while sitting in their mom's basement). Also: I'm now at 18,127 downloads, #20 on the Free list and my sales are on the good side of normal.

Thanks for the update and showing what we are doing is entirely above board.

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
    • David J Normoyle
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2013, 07:06:28 AM »

If freebookservice would confirm this, then it would save a lot of back and forth. As far as I know, freebookservice says that his 10K+ downloads come from his large pool of readers choosing free books they want to download.

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
But for the cost, what are you getting? Downloads from non-readers. All you can hope is that the raised visibility WILL deliver at least SOME readers who may or may not read your book and like it enough to buy your paid books. If that ends up being 15% of--let's say--12,500 downloads, that conversion rate is not worth the price you just paid. And the drop-off will occur faster than it would than a Bookbub blast simply because once the 10k mark has been reached, the 1k/hr downloads cease completely. Now you have to pray that the increased visibility of your book will snag the interest of 'real' readers to the extent that you can recover whatever you just paid out.

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »
Oh I believe they are legitimate accounts. Amazon won't let you buy or download ANYTHING from them without one. I just don't believe they are real poetential "readers" of the authors books.

Hi!

A million thank you's.

Estelle Ryan

Their reply:

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
If freebookservice would confirm this, then it would save a lot of back and forth. As far as I know, freebookservice says that his 10K+ downloads come from his large pool of readers choosing free books they want to download.

What exactly to do need confirmation of? Theres no way to track which readers will read cover-to-cover, any guess would be just that, a guess.

However, thats the same with bookbub, you are only getting potential readers, nothing more. All you know is that you can give it a try, and see if its worth the money. Same here, you can give it a try and see if its worth the money.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:44 AM »

So, whatever freebooksservice is doing, it's okay with Amazon. That's a very good thing to know.

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2013, 07:25:32 AM »
Also: I'm now at 18,127 downloads, #20 on the Free list and my sales are on the good side of normal.

Comparatively, I did one day with BookBub on Sunday, got 13k downloads, got up to #6 and my sales since have been on the SUPA AWESOME side of my personal normal.
I sold more copies overnight than I did ALL of last week. Sales of the other titles are excellent.
Two days later, the BookBubbed title is at #5649 overall.
Add to that the fact that Estelle's titles usually sell far better than mine and BookBub is still coming out on top (but for the price and quality control)
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline Andrew Butcher

• Northampton, England.
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Butcher Official Author Website
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
I'm refreshing this thread more than my KDP reports ... =P

Interesting stuff!

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Well, I wish you all the best with it, Al. Will be curious to hear about how it goes for you.

I'm nearly to 15,500 downloads at the moment. Seems the reporting is more regular now for my paid books. I've sold 10 in the last 24 hours. A respectable sum for a small fry like me. Especially when you consider that the first 10,000+ downloads might have been worthless. Whether more will trickle in is hard to say. Dunno what to make of this, either, but after being ousted pretty hard from the top 20 on the free list, I seem to have entered a more stable ranking. I was at #29 a while ago and slipped to #30 just now. A much more gradual decline than I experienced earlier. Monique's not far behind me, and Estelle seems to be holding up around the mid-20's.

For those who might have missed this, I paid for the 10k run, and mine runs tomorrow. I'm sticking with it. Why? Because everytime my book has made it to the top twenty, I've seen good sales on the three in my series. book 2 is $3.99, book 3, is $2.99, and the combo of all three is $5.50.
Mine is YA. It only takes, what? less than 40 of each to make back my money and I usually do way more than that in a normal month.

I'll be driving tomorrow to Miami from Tampa (I'm going to the Red Dot Art Fair to help at the http://www.KevinGrass.com booth #106A), so if any of you live there, stop in and say hi. Or maybe we can do dinner or coffee. But I won't be able to check in here much, if at all, (not sure of reception on alligator alley) while driving.

I still do not think it is bots, paid clicks from surveys? I doubt it. You can find higher priced items to do that for and charge way more money.

Anyway, to have a true data set, you need more than four books reporting, so I'll add mine to the mix. I do budget x amount of advertising for the year, and have not spent my wad yet.

Edited to add: Now you can see that Amazon has answered the question: real readers are downloading Estelle's book.

We know paid books have been slow to report sales, it's Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:05:38 AM by LisaGraceBooks »

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube