Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 70460 times)  

Offline Romi

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #400 on: December 05, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
You also have to remember, that publishers pay Amazon to be on the front page of the Kindle, and on their pages. They are not adverse to paid advertising.

But ad placement on the front page of Kindle or on the Amazon home page is not the same as buying a guaranteed free rank in the top 20 that pushes other books down the list (which the 10,000 guaranteed downloads regardless of genre will do).

Edgy rom-coms, and yes, there is such a thing.
Romi Moondi | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 05, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
But ad placement on the front page of Kindle or on the Amazon home page is not the same as buying a guaranteed free rank in the top 20 that pushes other books down the list (which the 10,000 guaranteed downloads regardless of genre will do).

And again, free downloads cost amazon bandwidth which costs money. A single free book download is no big deal but 3,000,000 costs a lot.

Offline Romi

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
And again, free downloads cost amazon bandwidth which costs money. A single free book download is no big deal but 3,000,000 costs a lot.

Yes thanks, there's that too!  :) And actually I just remembered, given that Amazon puts a limit on the number of free book listings sites like ENT and Bookbub can run per day, how are they making sure this Free Book service that guarantees 10,000 downloads is adhering to this limit, when there is no mailing list one can verify or no blog where the promotions per day are visible? Those other sites now HAVE to run paid promos alongside their free ones EVERY DAY. But this? All free, all the time baby, woo, spring break! 

???

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #403 on: December 05, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
The limit of freebies is only if your site makes money from Amazon Associates (which is the main income for many of these sites). If it doesn't do that, you can list however many freebies you want.

Offline JeanneM

• East Coast
    • View Profile
    • The Pet Medium
« Reply #404 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
This is an interesting thread, but....

Offline Saja

• View Profile
    • Find me here!
« Reply #405 on: December 05, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
Finally made it to the end of the thread!
Welp, my takeaway is this: I guess if anyone ever wants to be seen anywhere on Amazon, they'd better start paying up. Whether it's Bookbub or FBS, ranks and positions go to the highest bidder each day. LOL!!  :D It's so funny-- now when I see the Top 100, especially the Top 100 free, I'm like oh, they must have run some kind of ad today. Word of mouth just won't cut it anymore- (unless a mega-mailing list counts as word of mouth). . . . Now add in the possibility of bots getting in on the action? That's a new twist. :P

Offline Romi

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #406 on: December 05, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »
The limit of freebies is only if your site makes money from Amazon Associates (which is the main income for many of these sites). If it doesn't do that, you can list however many freebies you want.

Oh thanks for clarifying  :);; I thought it also had to do with the cost per download, since the downloads don't make Amazon any money but include a cost to send the file.

Offline Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
I don't have anything up on Amazon but how much does it normally cost to send files? Does it show in your dashboard?

Offline Romi

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #408 on: December 05, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
I don't have anything up on Amazon but how much does it normally cost to send files? Does it show in your dashboard?

It varies based on file size, but it's 15 cents per megabyte. My books are around 500kb so it's 7 cents per copy (sorry if that was already mentioned earlier).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:18:36 PM by Romi »

Offline Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 05, 2013, 09:19:04 PM »
So a potential 3,000,000 downloads from this service could potentially cost amazon $210,000 dollars. I'm sure Amazon won't mind that. At all.

Offline Lefty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
So a potential 3,000,000 downloads from this service could potentially cost amazon $210,000 dollars. I'm sure Amazon won't mind that. At all.

The transmission fee is what they charge, not necessarily what it costs them. Sunk costs and all that, it's probably negligible.

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »

This thing seems to be working. However they do it, the results are more than promised. Over 12000 downloads so far (2nd day), and ranked #1 in my genre and in the top 20 of free books for two days now. But the most important metric: Sales of other books in the series have picked up. Now, one might attribute that to the Christmas season, but none of the other books (not in the series) have similarly shown an increase.

So far, only one new review (5*), but I don't expect much yet. The "readers" (he said hopefully) haven't had time to read the book. The reviewer is familiar with my computer programming books, so this might be a coincidence.

Is it worth the $229? Hard to say. I never expected it to result in royalties to offset the cost. Time will tell (or will suggest) whether the resulting visibility has value. I'll scan and share my Pulitzer.  ;)

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #412 on: December 06, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
I'm at #7 in the whole free Kindle store and downloads are still going. I've been retweeted dozens of times by book bloggers I never knew existed, and I have people emailing me that they downloaded the book and are now reading it.

Now #7 in the whole #free #Kindle ebook store out of over 2 million ebooks. Thank you readers who are sharing with your friends. :)
ASIN: B0052AI5W8
Text-to-Speech: Enabled 
X-Ray: Enabled  Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

As far as paid sales, I'm the bargain book of the day $5 off only 99 cents for The 15th Star over at ENT, so if I'm not showing any sales from that, it's because the servers are behind in reporting.

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #413 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »
For those reporting sales to other non-featured books, can you provide the books and the actual sales numbers?

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 06, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
For those reporting sales to other non-featured books, can you provide the books and the actual sales numbers?
Small numbers, but more than I would have seen without the promotional, I think.

A Dead Ringer (#2 in the series): 12 sales in the last day and a half
Clueless (#3 in the series): 9 sales in the last day and a half

And this one is a puzzle.

On the Street Where You Die (#1 in the series, the featured book, and perma-free): 6 sales in that period. Where did they buy it, and how much did they pay? Do KDP Reports include Createspace paperback sales? I might send KDP customer support an inquiry on this one.

Offline OJ Connell

• Ohio
  • The Conqueror Worm
    • View Profile
    • The Case Files of Edgar Sullivan
« Reply #415 on: December 06, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

On the Street Where You Die (#1 in the series, the featured book, and perma-free): 6 sales in that period. Where did they buy it, and how much did they pay? Do KDP Reports include Createspace paperback sales? I might send KDP customer support an inquiry on this one.

Such sales are probably from outside territories where the book isn't free. Or so I've heard. This has happened to me in the past, and during this promotion I've had a few "sales" of my free title as well. Creatspace and KDP are not linked.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 06, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
I already posted screen shots through Dec 2 or 4 on about page 4. Sorry, I've got other things to do besides continuing to update (like get into town & get my passport photos taken so we can travel in a couple months LOL).

I only posted again today because I think the convo has been pretty one-sided. You can see the ASIN on the previous screenshots and it isn't hard to figure out the other books from that.

The book I promoted was The Promise of Redwood Cove - pen Alesha Cary.

It's one sided because his service violates Amazon's ToS by artificially manipulating the marketplace. But many authors, like yourself, don't seem to have a problem with that, which I find odd.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #417 on: December 06, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
Small numbers, but more than I would have seen without the promotional, I think.

A Dead Ringer (#2 in the series): 12 sales in the last day and a half
Clueless (#3 in the series): 9 sales in the last day and a half

Thanks. Any sale is better than a poke in the eye. But the question is are they worth $150-300?

You can get sales on free books when a foreign buyer uses .com

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline jimkukral

• View Profile
    • Author Marketing Club
« Reply #418 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
My client is doing it. She's #13 overall in the Kindle store for free. So far, so good. Time will tell on sales of other books.
Jim F. Kukral The Tools the Best Selling Authors Use:   http://www.AuthorMarketingClub.com

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »
Thanks. Any sale is better than a poke in the eye. But the question is are they worth $150-300?
No. Absolutely not. Not if that's all being measured. It's always been clear to me that I wasn't buying potential sales. The most valuable return to me is that when readers search amazon for free hard-boiled cop books, mine is the first one they see (today). If that visibility exposes my work to numerous readers, the service is worth the cost. At least for now. After that it's up to the quality of the work.

It's a long-term investment and a definite gamble. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:27:24 PM by Al Stevens »

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »
It's one sided because his service violates Amazon's ToS by artificially manipulating the marketplace. But many authors, like yourself, don't seem to have a problem with that, which I find odd.
It hasn't been proven that the manipulation is artificial. Only subject to critical speculation. Some of the results and the response by amazon to someone's query tend to indicate otherwise.

But because we can't figure out how the magician pulls a rabbit out of an empty hat, that doesn't make it magic. Once you know how the trick is done, it becomes obvious.

And it p***es all us smart people off that we can't figure the trick out.  >:(

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
Just on the edge of 14,000. Does that mean I can put "Best Selling Author..." on my covers now?  :D

ETA: Maybe I can anyway. One of my computer books sold way over 100,000 copies.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:07:10 PM by Al Stevens »

Offline valeriec80

• View Profile
    • V. J. Chambers, author
« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »

Permafrees are also against Amazon's ToS.

Offline cdvsmx5

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
Permafrees are also against Amazon's ToS.
Not if you split hairs as Amazon seems willing to do. Zero is not a sales price.

Offline RM Prioleau

• Fantasy Author
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Prioleau
« Reply #424 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
I've browsed this thread.

So for everyone who has been using this service, how many sales have you seen with your paid books with so many thousands of your free book downloads? Have you made back your $300+ from this?

I'm still wary about the website (everything, including the text are in images. That's a common trend seen in scam sites).