NetGalley

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 69995 times)  

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
I actually used this service on Friday, and while I wanted to wait a full week to give a review, I figured I would lay out what I have discovered so far.

First off, I used the 10,000 download package on a perma-freebie that already had a decently high free rankings. Before the promo, it was sitting at around 3,000 in the overall Amazon store.

Yesterday, the downloads started rolling in. Though the service says you'll get your downloads over the course of two to three days, I'm pretty sure I got them all yesterday, as there hasn't been much movement today.

The book in questions shot all the way up to #9 in the overall Amazon store at its best ranking. It also hit #1 in several popular categories.

This book has already had its moment in the sun in the past. When it was first released, it got a very high free ranking organically and pushed the novel that it was serialized as a part of into the top 100 paid of several popular categories. Having said that, I also have two books right now that are in the top 100 free in the UK organically, and the sales that I have been getting on that particular series have been phenomenal. When actual readers download your freebie in mass quantities, you can usually expect to generate a lot of sales for the other books in your series.

That has not been the case with this download service.

Do you get the downloads you paid for? Yes.
Are they from Amazon verified readers? Yes.
Are they from people who are actually potential buyers? I don't believe so.

I'm still going to keep track of my sales on the series between now and Friday before I come to any definite conclusion. As is right now though, what I'm seeing from these free downloads is NOT normal reader activity. You have to take into consideration that out of 10,000 people downloading a free book, some of them will buy other books in the same series. I'm not seeing that with this promotion.

The bright side is that having the book ranked so high does expose it to actual readers. Since the promotion, I've had close to 3,000 downloads from what I am going to consider actual readers, and it has lead to some sales. I bolded some, because the amount is a bit underwhelming.

At this point, the question becomes, what is the ROI? I won't be able to tell until the end of the week. Since this is the first part of a serialized novel, I feel safe to assume that people who do pick it up with the intention of reading it will probably make a purchase of the other parts within 7 days. As of right now though, I'm about 99% sure I'm going to end up losing money on this campaign.

And did I mention that my ranking slipped once the campaign ended, from spot 9 to spot 26 in one day? Tomorrow, I imagine it will be even higher.

Also, I did a search on my book to see where it showed up for the day that my promotion ran. I did find one free book website that was promoting it, but that was all.

Again, this promotion was only run yesterday, so there is still time for things to change and kick up. I'm not going to hold my breath though. I will report back on Friday with my final analysis.

Great report. Seems to echo a lot of the negative suspicions about this service. Sorry to hear that you probably won't break even on this campaign, though. One reason being...

And did I mention that my ranking slipped once the campaign ended, from spot 9 to spot 26 in one day? Tomorrow, I imagine it will be even higher.

I would hazard to guess this service is jam packed with orders right now and wouldn't be surprised if the current top 20 or 40 spots all belonged to users of this service. As more and more people use it, the less time you'll have on the front page, thus making it an even worse deal.

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »
I would hazard to guess this service is jam packed with orders right now and wouldn't be surprised if the current top 20 or 40 spots all belonged to users of this service. As more and more people use it, the less time you'll have on the front page, thus making it an even worse deal.
This was actually something else I was going to point out, but didn't want to seem like I was brow bashing the service. If you look at Amazon's top 100 freebies right now, there are quite a few books that look like they wouldn't naturally belong (my book included).

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
This was actually something else I was going to point out, but didn't want to seem like I was brow bashing the service. If you look at Amazon's top 100 freebies right now, there are quite a few books that look like they wouldn't naturally belong (my book included).
Not that I keep up or anything but there are at least 4 in that list that should be higher than they are.  I know where they advertised.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #453 on: December 07, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »
This has been quite the entertaining thread.

* 1) Immediate off a cliff drop-off after the "promotion" ends compared to traditional tapering drop-off with other sites, 2) lack of increase in downloads in the same authors' other permafree books as seen on other promo programs and sites, 3) site owner's claims to have nearly a million members and be able to guarantee a set # of downloads, regardless of genre or niche, 4) owner touting having a network of nearly a million members but being apparently uninterested in adding actual *readers* that visit sites like Kboards.

1) I ran on the 5th, went to #6 in the whole free store, and here it is three days later (almost 4), and I'm still #55. THis has been higher and longer staying power than my Bookbub, or ENT ads.

2) I ran an ENT ad on my 99 cent paid book ($5 off) and paid sales didn't show up for 24 hours, and  magically 121 dropped into my account, which means it's the worst ENT paid ad I've ever had, so I have to say sales are slow right now over all. Another twenty or so just dropped in.

3) If you don't want to be visible in the top 100, don't buy his service. As far as I can see, it works. I'm happy and I'm sure I'll use it again in the future, just like I will ENT, Bookbub, and FKBT.

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Estelle Ryan

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #454 on: December 07, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
An update on my test-run. These are the combined sales (only on Amazon.com) for the other two books in my series:

It was quite fortunate that I'd had a Bookbub ad (I heart Bookbub!!!) two weeks before the FBS promo - nice to compare. Since the FBS promo I've had 24,465 downloads and am still in the top 100 Free. As you can see on the graph:

• On the day of the Bookbub ad (18 November), there was an immediate increase in sales.
  • On the day of the FBS ad (2 December), there was a huuuuuuge decrease - very likely due to cyber Monday.
  • The increase on the day after the FBS ad could be because of the ad or (most likely) catching up on sales after cyber Monday.
  • Three days after the Bookbub ad, sales increased even more and went up and down from there.
  • Three days after the FBS ad, sales were in the midrange of those after the Bookbub ad (and have been interestingly stable!)

There are so many ways we can speculate about these results, and I'm not keen on speculating - at least not in such a large public forum. What I will say is that (1.) There has been no or little change in the ranking of my other two books from before the FSB promo and (2. and most importantly) I still feel uncomfortable with how using this service affected/might affect/will affect my integrity. It wouldn't make sense for me to use this service in the near future, since it most likely would be showing the same book to the same eyes. That makes it better for me personally, because I can wait a few months and see how this whole thing develops and make a more informed decision then. I think we are all still gathering data and hope to see more reports so we are able to make decisions based on facts (or at least, our intepretation of those facts ;D).

I would like to thank William from Freebookservice for giving me this promo for free to prove to us their service's results.  

Estelle Ryan | website | blog | facebook

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 07, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »
1) I ran on the 5th, went to #6 in the whole free store, and here it is three days later (almost 4), and I'm still #55. THis has been higher and longer staying power than my Bookbub, or ENT ads.

2) I ran an ENT ad on my 99 cent paid book ($5 off) and paid sales didn't show up for 24 hours, and  magically 121 dropped into my account, which means it's the worst ENT paid ad I've ever had, so I have to say sales are slow right now over all. Another twenty or so just dropped in.

3) If you don't want to be visible in the top 100, don't buy his service. As far as I can see, it works. I'm happy and I'm sure I'll use it again in the future, just like I will ENT, Bookbub, and FKBT.

Thanks for your review.

An update on my test-run. These are the combined sales (only on Amazon.com) for the other two books in my series:

It was quite fortunate that I'd had a Bookbub ad (I heart Bookbub!!!) two weeks before the FBS promo - nice to compare. Since the FBS promo I've had 24,465 downloads and am still in the top 100 Free. As you can see on the graph:

• On the day of the Bookbub ad (18 November), there was an immediate increase in sales.
  • On the day of the FBS ad (2 December), there was a huuuuuuge decrease - very likely due to cyber Monday.
  • The increase on the day after the FBS ad could be because of the ad or (most likely) catching up on sales after cyber Monday.
  • Three days after the Bookbub ad, sales increased even more and went up and down from there.
  • Three days after the FBS ad, sales were in the midrange of those after the Bookbub ad (and have been interestingly stable!)

There are so many ways we can speculate about these results, and I'm not keen on speculating - at least not in such a large public forum. What I will say is that (1.) There has been no or little change in the ranking of my other two books from before the FSB promo and (2. and most importantly) I still feel uncomfortable with how using this service affected/might affect/will affect my integrity. It wouldn't make sense for me to use this service in the near future, since it most likely would be showing the same book to the same eyes. That makes it better for me personally, because I can wait a few months and see how this whole thing develops and make a more informed decision then. I think we are all still gathering data and hope to see more reports so we are able to make decisions based on facts (or at least, our intepretation of those facts ;D).

I would like to thank William from Freebookservice for giving me this promo for free to prove to us their service's results.  

I noticed book2 went from 6600 to 4300 paid ranking after the promo. Thanks for the review.

You're not reading the thread or ignoring responses, because I know of several authors, including Shelley Hitz, who have emailed Amazon with their concerns, and in every case, Amazon has said these are legitimate Kindle owners and Kindle ap owners doing the dls. This means that yes, they are potential readers.

There are several ways you can hit groups without resorting to mailing lists of individuals, and many marketers prefer to buy list of these people and market to them.

This is no different than Bookbub or any other service out there. They're targeting potential readers, and some target better than others.

I'm still at #32 and having higher dls on the rest in my series.

Thanks for further proving that for us through Shelly Hitz & Amazon.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:12:54 PM by freebookservice »
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline djv1120

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 07, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »

2) I ran an ENT ad on my 99 cent paid book ($5 off) and paid sales didn't show up for 24 hours, and  magically 121 dropped into my account, which means it's the worst ENT paid ad I've ever had, so I have to say sales are slow right now over all. Another twenty or so just dropped in.

Can you elaborate on what ENT & FKBT are?  I know about Bookbub already, but don't know what the other 2 are.

Thanks!
David J. VanBergen Jr. | Facebook | Goodreads | Newsletter

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 08, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »

It's been 4 days, Lisa, and you're not getting sell-through. Look, while it might have taken 24 hours for your Dec 6 ENT sales on an unrelated title to magically show up, Tracker says the ranks didn't take that long to reflect those sales. Rank for the 15th Star peaked on Dec 7 at 7:24 a.m.

Here's the curious thing. Even though you ran an ENT ad - which, granted, was on an unrelated book - a few readers will generally pick up other books in the author's inventory. That means you had TWO drivers to the Angel books. Yet what have your sales been over the past few days? You're being coy in not disclosing. But the rank history is public info. By ENT Tracker stats, your freeloads peaked on Dec 5. So I'll guess you've sold 2-3 of each of the following since the FBS/ENT kick. Even being generous, that's only about $25 in sales. Yes, there's future sell-through to consider. But I seriously doubt you're going to see any appreciable ROI from this run, nor will you make back your investment.

Book 2:
7 Dec, 2013 Highest: 55,040 $3.99
 Lowest: 103,555   
6 Dec, 2013 Highest: 50,200 $3.99
 Lowest: 198,635   
5 Dec, 2013 Highest: 158,640 $3.99
 Lowest: 188,316   

4 Dec, 2013 Highest: 99,421 $3.99
 Lowest: 153,975   
3 Dec, 2013 Highest: 66,716 $3.99
 Lowest: 154,917   
2 Dec, 2013 Highest: 94,227 $3.99
 Lowest: 212,003   
1 Dec, 2013 Highest: 135,275 $3.99
 Lowest: 183,253 

Book 3:
7 Dec, 2013 Highest: 64,533 $2.99
 Lowest: 122,710   
6 Dec, 2013 Highest: 58,749 $2.99
 Lowest: 203,540   
5 Dec, 2013 Highest: 100,701 $2.99
 Lowest: 168,379   

4 Dec, 2013 Highest: 86,239 $2.99
 Lowest: 189,098   
3 Dec, 2013 Highest: 83,151 $2.99
 Lowest: 161,412   
2 Dec, 2013 Highest: 97,533 $2.99
 Lowest: 225,646   
1 Dec, 2013 Highest: 139,961 $2.99
 Lowest: 197,079

Bundle of 1,2,3:
7 Dec, 2013 Highest: 50,956 $5.50
 Lowest: 163,978   
6 Dec, 2013 Highest: 268,988 $5.50
 Lowest: 268,988   
5 Dec, 2013 Highest: 268,988 $5.50

4 Dec, 2013 Highest: 268,988 $5.50
3 Dec, 2013 Highest: 268,988 $5.50
2 Dec, 2013 Highest: 86,225 $5.50
 Lowest: 86,225   
1 Dec, 2013 Highest: 86,225 $5.50
 Lowest: 86,225 

You were adamant Freebooksy was worth the cost, too, though you had virtually no sell-through from that ad either. What you do with your money is your affair. But when you advocate services and are disingenuous about the actual results you're getting, that's not cool. By fairly disclosing, at least if others decide to use the services you advocate, they'll have a clearer picture of what they're likely to get for their money, ethics aside.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »
Gentle reminder about tone folks. . . .and about disputing people's reporting.

Here's the thing:  if a person used the service and is happy with the results, let it alone.

Similarly, if a person is NOT happy with their results, that's their right, even if those results look just fine to you.

It's great that people are reporting actual data -- though, of course, no one is obligated to do so.  Draw your own conclusions from that data and decide to use the service or not.

Telling people who are satisfied that they should not be is NOT APPROPRIATE.

Consider this a Yellow Card and carry on with play. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline cdtooch

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2013, 05:53:09 AM »
Has anyone found that they had a decent follow through rate on the initial 10,000 downloads?

Offline KMatthew

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »

Thanks for this data. It's interesting to see how one of these runs compares to a Bookbub ad.

Offline gorvnice

• View Profile
    • Indie Pub Club
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »
Gentle reminder about tone folks. . . .and about disputing people's reporting.

Here's the thing:  if a person used the service and is happy with the results, let it alone.

Similarly, if a person is NOT happy with their results, that's their right, even if those results look just fine to you.

If someone is making factual claims about a service and then either not disclosing results or being somewhat misleading, I think it's fair to point it out.  In fact, I think it's a help to this board for people to be held to such a standard.

Writers are watching this thread and trying to determine whether or not to spend hundreds of dollars on a service that might be anything from a scam to a wonderful new marketing tool.  If someone is skewing that appearance by making claims about sales or sales rank and then being disingenuous, I'm glad there are people on these boards who will hold them to account.

And I don't appreciate your cautions in this regard, Ann.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2013, 08:42:33 AM »
Here's the curious thing. Even though you ran an ENT ad - which, granted, was on an unrelated book - a few readers will generally pick up other books in the author's inventory. That means you had TWO drivers to the Angel books.

Phoenix - The 15th star has never driven people to the Angel series in any of my promos. The 15th Star is an historical adult History Mystery, the angel series is written for age 12+ on up girls. I've only sold a 150 at 99 cents over 2 days (so far) which is way below what a normally sell through an ENT ad. Yet this was enough to raise me to:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,883 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#5 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense
#12 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Historical
#20 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Historical

This means paid ads in general, are not as effective as they were a year ago. I haven't made back my money only what, half?, on my ENT ad, which is not great for what everyone considers the
"gold" or at least "silver" standard of advertising.

It's ridiculous how you keep going after me in every thread about marketing when you know I'm not an NYT bestseller or established author like the ones you represent (who have huge backlists).

I'm much more representative of the average indie author who has modest daily sales. I'm printing my results for them. Once again, I'm not comparing myself to (and not sure why you keep insisting I should) to Much bigger authors represented by publishers like you, ot those selling romance or erotica. If anything, those super popular genres are skewing the norm. If you throw out the romance and erotica, and the poor performers, genres like mine are solidly in the middle of the pack, and fortunately, or unfortunately, this is our norm.

I'm in the top ten if not #1, #2, or #3 in my sub genres, so get off your skewed to the outlier romance NYT authors, and get real.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:52:19 AM by LisaGraceBooks »

Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »
If someone is making factual claims about a service and then either not disclosing results or being somewhat misleading, I think it's fair to point it out.  In fact, I think it's a help to this board for people to be held to such a standard.

Writers are watching this thread and trying to determine whether or not to spend hundreds of dollars on a service that might be anything from a scam to a wonderful new marketing tool.  If someone is skewing that appearance by making claims about sales or sales rank and then being disingenuous, I'm glad there are people on these boards who will hold them to account.

And I don't appreciate your cautions in this regard, Ann.

Ann left Phoenix's post intact, so she agrees that the info provided there okay. She's pointing out that we're treading close to the line. None of us want to step over that line, so the warning is valuable.

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
  • I tell stories.
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
This thread in a nutshell.

Peddler: Buy my cigarettes. They're awesome and great!

Kboard Members: Cigarettes are bad. You really shouldn't waste your money on them.

Kboard User: I've used Cigarettes for ten years, and I don't have cancer. They're fine.

Kboard Members: *data showing otherwise*

Kboard User: Whatever, I'm still happy with it. You all should smoke, too.

Kboard Mod: If someone is happy smoking Cigarettes, do not argue with them about it.

Me, reading all this: Seriously, wtf?
  |    |  |

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
Phoenix - The 15th star has never driven people to the Angel series in any of my promos. The 15th Star is an historical adult History Mystery, the angel series is written for age 12+ on up girls.

It's ridiculous how you keep going after me in every thread about marketing when you know I'm not an NYT bestseller or established author like the ones you represent (who have huge backlists).

I'm much more representative of the average indie author who has modest daily sales. I'm printing my results for them. Once again, I'm not comparing myself to (and not sure why you keep insisting I should) to Much bigger authors represented by publishers like you, ot those selling romance or erotica. If anything, those super popular genres are skewing the norm. If you throw out the romance and erotica, and the poor performers, genres like mine are solidly in the middle of the pack, and fortunately, or unfortunately, this is our norm.

I'm in the top ten if not #1, #2, or #3 in my sub genres, so get off your skewed to the outlier romance NYT authors, and get real.

Maybe I'm the kind of lower-on-the-totem-pole indie author you're posting for, Lisa. If so, I find Phoenix's breakdown of your sell-through illuminating. I've recent set my first book permafree in preparation for publishing the second in the series, so sell-through results are of great interest to me.

David Dalglish, cearly you are not procrastinating hard enough at the moment. Threads like this are golden. :P

Offline Romi

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »
Phoenix - The 15th star has never driven people to the Angel series in any of my promos. The 15th Star is an historical adult History Mystery, the angel series is written for age 12+ on up girls. I've only sold a 150 at 99 cents over 2 days (so far) which is way below what a normally sell through an ENT ad. Yet this was enough to raise me to:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,883 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#5 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense
#12 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Historical
#20 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Historical

This means paid ads in general, are not as effective as they were a year ago. I haven't made back my money only what, half?, on my ENT ad, which is not great for what everyone considers the
"gold" or at least "silver" standard of advertising.

I think what Phoenix was getting at was the ROI, because if you're telling other authors you liked the service and would pay for it again, the number one thing prospective customers would be curious about is how much of your money you made back. If there are other positive factors for you outside of ROI that's fine, but leaving out the money part entirely is a big missing link for prospective customers, who are weighing whether or not they should invest $325 in it. As an example of how important it is, in the "Has anyone here used Bookbub?" thread, almost all the users who report back on results comment on if they made their money back, which is a huge factor in other authors submitting to Bookbub.

Edgy rom-coms, and yes, there is such a thing.
Romi Moondi | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »
Ann left Phoenix's post intact, so she agrees that the info provided there okay. She's pointing out that we're treading close to the line. None of us want to step over that line, so the warning is valuable.

Becca Mills - You missed my point. What works for erotica nad romance NYT best sellers, and those with huge backlists in romance, is not necessarily going to  work for less popular genres. It's not even realistic.

I receive private emails all the time from authors here who are frustrated, because a few "outliers" here tend to dominate and expect everyone to have the same results. I'll happily pay for the visibility, because yes, it does lead to modest trickle down, and if nothing else, builds brand recognition for  my future work.

If someone offers you a chance at visibility, right before Christmas, and thus a chance to be at the top of sub genre lists that are filled with your readers, you seriously don't see a benefit?

Fine, don't go with FBS. As I pointed out my last two ads with sites everyone respects, is not delivering the results it did a year or two ago either.

Romance skews results for all other genres. That's just a fact.

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
  • I tell stories.
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
David Dalglish, cearly you are not procrastinating hard enough at the moment. Threads like this are golden. :P

This thread's been my latest rubber-necking train wreck for me. And I gotta do something to kill the hour until football starts  ;D
  |    |  |

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »
I think what Phoenix was getting at was the ROI, because if you're telling other authors you liked the service and would pay for it again, the number one thing prospective customers would be curious about is how much of your money you made back. If there are other positive factors for you outside of ROI that's fine, but leaving out the money part entirely is a big missing link for prospective customers, who are weighing whether or not they should invest $325 in it. As an example of how important it is, in the "Has anyone here used Bookbub?" thread, almost all the users who report back on results comment on if they made their money back, which is a huge factor in other authors submitting to Bookbub.

As I stated above, my ENT did not earn out (held one day later), only produced half and that took 2 1/2 days, when in the past I always made a profit. Also, my latest FKBT, took all month to earn out.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:11:54 AM by LisaGraceBooks »

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #471 on: December 08, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
I guess what you have to decide is: Being in the top 100 of the free store: Is it worth it to you to pay, to hang around in the top 100 free for (I'm now there going on 4 days) x amount of days and be at the top of your subgenre lists?

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #60 Free in Kindle Store

Yes, for me the visiblity is worth it. I base my advertising on a yearly budget, set aside from when I had good runs. If you're expecting results like you had a year or two ago, and are publishing outside romance, I'd say you won't get those results now.

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »
I guess what you have to decide is: Being in the top 100 of the free store: Is it worth it to you to pay, to hang around in the top 100 free for (I'm now there going on 4 days) x amount of days and be at the top of your subgenre lists?

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #60 Free in Kindle Store

Yes, for me the visiblity is worth it. I base my advertising on a yearly budget, set aside from when I had good runs. If you're expecting results like you had a year or two ago, and are publishing outside romance, I'd say you won't get those results now.

Right. Everyone needs to decide for themselves if it's worth it. For most of us ROI is the primary factor when considering these services. When one member says, "I used this service and I'm happy with my sales." A lot of us will naturally think that means a good return on investment.

But if it turns out the real return was $50 or even $100...then, yeah that's a big loss $$$ wise. And that is what Phoenix and others are getting at. Does genre and audience matter as to how well any title will sell? Of course it does. But not when you're breaking down the actual ROI on any individual title.

For you you're happy. Great. I wouldn't be. In fact, I'd be frustrated at the loss of money and frustrated my fellow author was ambiguous when recommending a service.

Offline melissafmiller

• South Central Pennsylvania
  • Melissa F. Miller
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 08, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
As I stated above, my ENT did not earn out (held one day later), only produced half and that took 2 1/2 days, when in the past I always made a profit. Also, my latest FKBT, took all month to earn out.

Lisa,
Has ENT started offering Bargain Book postings for a flat fee? You keep saying your ENT ad didn't earn out, but as late as last month, those ads weren't a flat fee: ENT takes (took?) 25% of royalties earned on books actually sold through their link. I think this is a fantastic way of charging, BTW, specifically because it *doesn't* disadvantage smaller genres. What you pay is based on what you earn.

So the "not earning out" bit has me confused. Or I could just need more coffee. Always possible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:27:55 AM by melissafmiller »

Melissa F. Miller | author website

Offline BillSmithBooksDotCom

• Adirondack Mountains, Northern NY (almost Canada)
  • BillSmithBooks.com, Outlaw Galaxy &Star Wars books
    • View Profile
    • www.BillSmithBooks.com
« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
"But MY cigarettes have Vitamin C and stuff and they are GOOD for you."

Hm. Color me skeptical. Amused, but skeptical.
Bill Smith is the author of the Outlaw Galaxy series and several Star Wars books. Visit him at www.BillSmithBooks.com or www.OutlawGalaxy.com. Blogging at www.BillSmithBooks.blogspot.com. The Outlaw Galaxy series features free-wheeling space fantasy action-adventure...fun for readers of all ages.

Outlaw Galaxy: Hunter's Truth and Other Tales (short story collection) is now available at most retailers.
Bill Smith | Outlaw Galaxy: Hunter's Truth and Other Tales | BillSmithBooks.com | BillSmithBlog.com

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac