NetGalley

Author Topic: FreeBookService (FBS) Update ,  (Read 70088 times)  

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
Re: Kindle "Free Book Service" official thread - Increase your rank
« Reply #500 on: December 08, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
I think that's a fair point and (once again) I'm going to try and bow out of this conversation. It just sucks watching fellow indie authors forking over their hard earned money for a service that, to me, is quite obviously a scam.

This. I personally want to see this thread locked/deleted, but it seems without heading over to FBS's computer and posting screenshots of the operations back end, no mathematical data is proof enough. Which means that until this thread is removed, Kboards is indirectly Ok'ing this service, if only because they have no idea what to make of it.

The thing that people are missing about the Warrior Forum MO is that this is exactly what they do. They come in, launch some scammy operation, generate as much revenue as fast as possible until they're caught, then they move on to the next thing. Watching authors get taken for fools by old Warrior Forum techniques just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when it's highly likely that the service gives Amazon a reason to start closing publisher accounts (even if the chance is remote).

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 08, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »

I have copy and pasted what I put in the first post just incase you had problems finding it.

The bulk of our reader-base has come from including opt-in forms on our own books. We placed forms in the description area using HTML, and with that, were able to build our list. We kept this extremely close to our chests, because literally everybody would be using the same method to create their own reader-base, in effect diluting our own list that we worked hard on creating. Since then, Amazon has overhauled their description pages, and you can no longer add Opt-ins to your book page.

Some books are still grandfathered in... Note, that is not my book: (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F23Q9CI/) however this can no longer be done. All of our readers are double opt in and completely can-spam compliant, and this method of promotion, as with BookBub, is in accordance to Amazons ToS.

I also mentioned we are working on other web properties, but if you have ever tried to build websites from the ground up then you would know they are extremely difficult to grow at any reasonable pace.

Thanks for the reply.

You're still claiming that you're using emails to do the bulk of the promotions, really?

Can you please explain why your subscribers don't exhibit normal reader behavior (as stated by multiple people in this thread who have purchased your 10k package), like other email promotion services? What is causing them to download the promoted book, but do nothing else?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:56:01 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 08, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
You're still claiming that you're using emails to do the bulk of the promotions, really?

Can you please explain why your subscribers don't exhibit normal reader behavior (as stated by multiple people in this thread who have purchased your 10k package), like other email promotion services? What is causing them to download, but do nothing else?

If by normal you are referring to bookbub, sorry, I have never used their service.
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #503 on: December 08, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
This. I personally want to see this thread locked/deleted, but it seems without heading over to FBS's computer and posting screenshots of the operations back end, no mathematical data is proof enough. Which means that until this thread is removed, Kboards is indirectly Ok'ing this service, if only because they have no idea what to make of it.

No.  Allowing this thread and the subsequent discussion does not mean we OK the service.  We do not vet services.

Service threads here are allowed on a "buyer beware" basis.   We would not be able to allow author services threads to be posted otherwise. Members considering use of services posted about here should do their due diligence in researching.  Allowing the discussion here is part of that.

Sigh.  We've locked threads about services members found questionable in the past for a number of reasons and were accused of not allowing people to be warned about them.  A locked thread soon disappears from the listing but at least is searchable here and in Google.  A deleted thread does not show up in search.  No matter what happens with this thread, I do not believe deleting it is in the best interest of our membership.  Finally, I was under the impression that members wanted to continue the discussion and that there were members who were waiting to post long term results of their service,

Rest assured, this thread is being discussed in Admin.

Betsy
KB Mod
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:00:46 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 08, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
No.  Allowing this thread and the subsequent discussion does not mean we OK the service.  We do not vet services.

Service threads here are allowed on a "buyer beware" basis.   We would not be able to allow author services threads to be posted otherwise. Members considering use of services posted about here should do their due diligence in researching.  Allowing the discussion here is part of that.

Sigh.  We've locked threads about services members found questionable in the past for a number of reasons and were accused of not allowing people to be warned about them.  A locked thread soon disappears from the listing but at least is searchable here and in Google.  A deleted thread does not show up in search.  No matter what happens with this thread, I do not believe deleting it is in the best interest of our membership.  Finally, I was under the impression that members wanted to continue the discussion and that there were members who were waiting to post long term results of their service,

Betsy
KB Mod

Fair enough. Wasn't trying to point the finger at Kboards because I can imagine the difficult position any "shady" services would put Kboards operators in, especially without irrefutable proof. I just wasn't aware that any service, regardless of its integrity, was allowed to be posted here on a "buyer beware" basis. My ignorance on this issue is my own fault, seeing as I'm still very new around here. My apologies.

If by normal you are referring to bookbub, sorry, I have never used their service.

That's not the question I asked. I asked if you could explain why your "subscribers" behavior differs so greatly from what authors deem to be normal email list subscriber behavior. Whether the readers come from their own personal email list, bookbub, ENT, or whatever is irrelevant. What is relevant is that more than one person in this thread has stated that they don't believe the behavior to be "normal" reader activity, which is what I'm asking about and would like you to address.

Or, I guess you could just ignore this question like you do every legitimate question presented in this thread.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:46:05 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #505 on: December 08, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
Last time I post in this thread - if you don't like Freebooksservice's service, then by continuing to engage him (fruitlessly, because he'll never admit to anything) is pretty much just continually bumping his thread to the top of the forum and giving him free promotion. I'm sure he doesn't care what anyone says at this point as long as it keeps getting his post to the top. Folks aren't going to invest 20+ pages of reading time to see the discussion that follows; they'll make their decision based on the first post.

Debating is fun and all, but you're accomplishing exactly the opposite of what I think most users want to get out of this conversation.

I think the ethics and techniques associated with FBS are pretty obvious at this point. Anyone who disagrees has probably already dropped their benjamins to roll around in fake downloads and enjoy the priceless "exposure."

There's nothing left to talk about. If you don't want to support this service, ignoring it is pretty much the best thing to do now.

My two cents.

On the flip side, this thread is very high in the Google results. For authors who want to exercise due diligence, the information is here. If they see the first post and jump in with both feet ... well, you know what P.T. Barnum supposedly said.

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 08, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »

Service threads here are allowed on a "buyer beware" basis.   We would not be able to allow author services threads to be posted otherwise. Members considering use of services posted about here should do their due diligence in researching.  Allowing the discussion here is part of that.

Betsy
KB Mod

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I do have one question regarding this...

(Please note this is clearly hypothetical and not meant to be related to the service of this thread. Just so I can better understand Kboards policy on these types of threads/services)

If I were to start a service that offered up paid reviews and was blatantly obvious about it, would I be allowed to have an ongoing thread here under "buyer beware", in spite of the ethics and that it's a violation of Amazon's Review Policy?

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re:
« Reply #507 on: December 08, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
We do not allow services that are clearly against Amazon's terms of service.  For example, we do not allow discussions of DRM removal nor do we allow sale through postings here of pirated material if that can be determined.  We are closely following this thread and reviewing the info posted herein and await the response to your questions from KDP.

Betsy

Sent from my Fire HDX7
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #508 on: December 08, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
Sent from my Fire HDX7

Ugh, I want my HDX7 now. Not christmas morning  >:(

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 08, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
We do not allow services that are clearly against Amazon's terms of service.  For example, we do not allow discussions of DRM removal nor do we allow sale through postings here of pirated material if that can be determined.  We are closely following this thread and reviewing the info posted herein and await the response to your questions from KDP.

Betsy

Sent from my Fire HDX7

That's good to know. I do like that Kboards tries to support only legitimate services. The problem with the bolded part is that even though I asked them for an official stance regarding this service (and supplied them with enough info to verify its legitimacy one way or another), it's highly likely the response will be muddled with corporate speak that won't publicly endorse or dismiss this service.

Which means that Kboards operators will be waiting for irrefutable proof (that just won't come because the victims here don't control the platforms being used to generate the downloads or the platform being targeted) or for Amazon to drop the hammer themselves.

The dangerous thing about that is this: If we operate under the assumption that these downloads are being generated through artificial or incentivized means, it makes the following true:

1. The service itself is in direct violation of Amazon's ToS.
2. It puts authors in direct violation of Amazon's ToS for using the service.
3. Since accounts in violation of Amazon's ToS are subject to banning/removal, it puts Kboard users' publishing accounts in jeopardy.
4. Since it's been shown that this service can/does currently control the top 100 list (and subsequent sub-genre lists) and the rank manipulation that results from that, this service decreases downloads/conversions to paid across the board for every author with a free book in the store - even those who are using this service.

Now I'm all for "innocent until proven guilty," but I find it a blatantly obvious red flag that not even Kboards moderators can get a few simple straight answers from the operator who is publicly and freely advertising on their forum. In fact, the operator openly ignores any pertinent questions, in effect giving the middle finger to both interested parties and Kboards operators.

And while it will be difficult for anyone except Amazon to acquire any hard proof that discredits this service, if the service is exactly what the operator has claimed it to be for the past 20 pages, it should be remarkably easy for FreeBookService to present information that verifies the service's legitimacy without compromising any of its proprietary assets. The fact that if his service proves to be generating downloads maliciously puts publisher accounts in direct violation of Amazon's ToS, I'm finding it hard to understand why Kboards operators are allowing the operator to maintain this thread while completely ignoring any and all attempts aimed at verifying the complete legitimacy of the service itself, while cherry-picking anything that reflects positively on it.

Edit: Not sure why I'm so feverishly looking to protect Kboards users from potential scamming, maybe it's because of my disdain for the rampant scamming seen by WSO operators from my days on the Warrior Forum and my quickly-growing affection for the community here, but I hope it's clear that I'm not trying to be a thorn in anyone's side for the sake of being a pain, to simply cause trouble, or to slander a random service.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:45:56 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 08, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
That's good to know. I do like that Kboards tries to support only legitimate services. The problem with the bolded part is that even though I asked them for an official stance regarding this service (and supplied them with enough info to verify its legitimacy one way or another), it's highly likely the response will be muddled with corporate speak that won't publicly endorse or dismiss this service.

Which means that Kboards operators will be waiting for irrefutable proof (that just won't come because the victims here don't control the platforms being used to generate the downloads or the platform being targeted) or for Amazon to drop the hammer themselves.

The dangerous thing about that is this: If we operate under the assumption that these downloads are being generated through artificial or incentivized means, it makes the following true:

1. The service itself is in direct violation of Amazon's ToS.
2. It puts authors in direct violation of Amazon's ToS for using the service.
3. Since accounts in violation of Amazon's ToS are subject to banning/removal, it puts Kboard users' publishing accounts in jeopardy.
4. Since it's been shown that this service can/does currently control the top 100 list (and subsequent sub-genre lists) and the rank manipulation that results from that, this service decreases downloads/conversions to paid across the board for every author with a free book in the store - even those who are using this service.

Now I'm all for "innocent until proven guilty," but I find it a blatantly obvious red flag that not even Kboards moderators can get a few simple straight answers from the operator who is publicly and freely advertising on their forum. In fact, the operator openly ignores any pertinent questions, in effect giving the middle finger to both interested parties and Kboards operators.

And while it will be difficult for anyone except Amazon to acquire any hard proof that discredits this service, if the service is exactly what the operator has claimed it to be for the past 20 pages, it should be remarkably easy for FreeBookService to present information that verifies the service's legitimacy without compromising any of its proprietary assets. The fact that if his service proves to be generating downloads maliciously puts publisher accounts in direct violation of Amazon's ToS, I'm finding it hard to understand why Kboards operators are allowing the operator to maintain this thread while completely ignoring any and all attempts aimed at verifying the complete legitimacy of the service itself, while cherry-picking anything that reflects positively on it.

Edit: Not sure why I'm so feverishly looking to protect Kboards users from potential scamming, maybe it's because of my disdain for the rampant scamming seen by WSO operators from my days on the Warrior Forum and my quickly-growing affection for the community here, but I hope it's clear that I'm not trying to be a thorn in anyone's side for the sake of being a pain, to simply cause trouble, or to slander a random service.

If I took a screenshot of part of my list and sent it to a moderator of this board, would you knock it off already?

(I assume the answer is no because you would find a way to discredit even this, but then again, have you actually seen bookbub's list?)

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 08, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
NOBODY is asking to see your list of email addresses. That would be invasion of privacy on behalf of members who have 'signed up' for it. We want to see the email that goes out to everyone on the list. That has been stated probably about a hundred times by now.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 08, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »
NOBODY is asking to see your list of email addresses. That would be invasion of privacy on behalf of members who have 'signed up' for it. We want to see the email that goes out to everyone on the list. That has been stated probably about a hundred times by now.

I've also stated why that wont happen. Beyond our own business 101 reasonings, our own paying clients do not want it. Around and around we go.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:47:35 PM by freebookservice »

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 08, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
I've also stated why that wont happen. Around and around we go.

So you are saying that even though there is no personal information in the e-mail, you can not show us the e-mail that you send to your downloaders.   

You cannot show us your promo e-mail.  Is this what you are saying?
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #514 on: December 08, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
I've also stated why that wont happen. Around and around we go.

So, your clients are so paranoid about privacy that they don't want anyone -- neither other authors nor just plain readers -- seeing the emails you send out advertising books, but they wouldn't mind if you revealed their actual email addresses to some random stranger?

Some mighty odd folks have hired you.

ETA: Last time FBS posted this screen shot, I caught myself wishing I could hire that unknown author as a ghostwriter. I mean, to never get criticized by an actual reader, only by vindictive competitors ... that person's writing must be un-fricking-believable.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:50:48 PM by Becca Mills »

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »
So, your clients are so paranoid about privacy that they don't want anyone -- neither other authors nor just plain readers -- seeing the emails you send out advertising books, but they wouldn't mind if you revealed their actual email addresses to some random stranger?

Some mighty odd folks have hired you.

Where did I say I wouldn't blur out email addresses? Your assumptions deceive you.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #516 on: December 08, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
Where did I say I wouldn't blur out email addresses? Your assumptions deceive you.

Oh, okay, got it. But Betsy or Ann will be able to see their actual names, right? Or will it just be a grid with a bunch of fuzzy gray stuff where all the info would be?

Offline Danni

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
We don't want to see your list, we want to be ON it so we can receive your promotions. If a person pays for an ad, they should be able to see it. You know? Business 101 and all that. And any author who thinks their promo will be in secret is mistaken since they are showing up on each other's alsobots, which btw, makes for such randomness that it isn't doing the authors any favors.  ::)

But, given who your website is registered through, I'm not surprised by all the secrecy.

Like SMR said, every reply is bumping you and I can see why you keep provoking the crowd with evasive answers. All we're doing is our due diligence because of the potential ramifications it could have on our career and standing with Amazon. Not to mention the impact of rank boosting due to "click farms" impacting other authors on lists.

I'm so over this thread and I wish I could untag myself the eff off it. I hope authors here read EVERY PAGE carefully. There are seasoned authors here who are expressing caution and concern for a reason.

And I'm done here. If I keep seeing this thread on page one, I'm probably going to stay off KB for a while. Nah. You won't miss me. I'll be writing and submitting my books through awesome services like Bookbub where I'll get real readers and similar alsobots.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:18:06 PM by DDark »

Offline Kat Lilynette

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 08, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »

If I took a screenshot of part of my list and sent it to a moderator of this board, would you knock it off already?

(I assume the answer is no because you would find a way to discredit even this, but then again, have you actually seen bookbub's list?)

You're right. Anyone with any experience with the Warrior Special Offers forum knows that screenshots aren't worth the pixels used to generate them.

If you really want to prove the legitimacy of your service, there really is a few simple ways to do that... the first being to simply answer the questions that have been asked numerous times in this thread. Such as:

You've stated repeatedly that your promotion methods are through email marketing, and that you generate your 700k+ email list from this:

I have copy and pasted what I put in the first post just incase you had problems finding it.

The bulk of our reader-base has come from including opt-in forms on our own books. We placed forms in the description area using HTML, and with that, were able to build our list. We kept this extremely close to our chests, because literally everybody would be using the same method to create their own reader-base, in effect diluting our own list that we worked hard on creating. Since then, Amazon has overhauled their description pages, and you can no longer add Opt-ins to your book page.

Some books are still grandfathered in... Note, that is not my book: (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F23Q9CI/) however this can no longer be done. All of our readers are double opt in and completely can-spam compliant, and this method of promotion, as with BookBub, is in accordance to Amazons ToS.

I also mentioned we are working on other web properties, but if you have ever tried to build websites from the ground up then you would know they are extremely difficult to grow at any reasonable pace.

Thanks for the reply.

This brings up some obvious questions:

1. If I signup via the opt-in form here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F23Q9CI/ (the book you've used to back your email list over and over and over) will I receive promotional emails from your service that I can cross reference with ranking updates to verify reader activity?

Since you're likely going to say, "but that's not my book," why can't a moderator see an opt-in form (and subscribe) to your service that seemingly 700k+ other people have and continue to subscribe to so that they can do what I said above? After all, you're not opening it up to authors, just a sole moderator who can vouch for your service.

2. Why is it that none of your web properties and communities that you've stated you use for promotion appear on any Google search in relation to any titles promoted in this thread?

3. All of your subscribers appear to open the email and take action the day of the promotion, then stop immediately. This behavior isn't typical of any standard email list because subscribers to any list continue to open emails days and weeks after a promotion is sent (several reports in this thread indicate an immediate drop from around 1000 downloads an hour to significantly lower levels after the download threshold is reached). Why doesn't your email list exhibit normal list behaviors?

Additionally, the same users do not mirror typical reader behavior because conversions don't seem to mirror anything that authors have been using as comparable behavior from their own long-term conversion data and promotions, so the question is why? What causes your subscribers to download the promoted title and stop without typical conversions to subsequent titles?

I'm sure other people will have better questions, but, you're right. With the hole you've backed yourself into, barring giving a moderator a temporary user/pass to your back end, you've got an uphill battle. But, by giving sufficient answers and references to the questions that have been asked repeatedly of you in this thread, it will certainly help ease concerns. (At least until Amazon decides to weigh in on this fiasco)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:22:59 PM by Kat Lilynette »

Offline Mandy

• Under a Carolina blue sky
    • View Profile
    • My journey as a middle ear implant clinical trial patient
« Reply #519 on: December 08, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
Supposing these are empty downloads from people who will never read your book, is anyone at all concerned about the long-term effects of this service? There is no selective criteria for being accepted with FBS; you fork over the cash and you will get the promised number of downloads, regardless of how good or crappy your book is. The increased visibility means real readers are gonna grab these books while they are high in rankings. If a book is high in rankings, it must be pretty good, right?

What happens when the real readers read these books and become angry that they wasted time on a book that was very poorly executed and never should have broke the top 50? What happens if these readers found out many authors are essentially buying rank? Or when readers find out how skewed the rankings are because the books that deserve to be up there are now being pushed back by thousands of empty downloads? Is a temporary boost in rank and a small boost in sales worth risking credibility? As a reader, I'm already suspicious of the current ranks. I'm very curious to see how a service like this will change the game as well as how Amazon reacts to it.

Offline RM Prioleau

• Fantasy Author
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Prioleau
« Reply #520 on: December 08, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »

This book has an opt-in mailing list form embedded in the book description. Is this one of your books? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EN2LXJ8?tag=kbpst-20 (NSFW)

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 08, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
This book has an opt-in mailing list form embedded in the book description. Is this one of your books? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EN2LXJ8?tag=kbpst-20 (NSFW)

No. An email was sent out via KDP about it:

"The book description contains unsupported HTML tags. While we've allowed this HTML in book descriptions before now, after November 2, 2013, we no longer support it. For more information about whats allowed in book descriptions, please see: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A377RPHW6ZG4D8"

Some people are grandfathered in, and havent changed it. Maybe they missed the email from amazon.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:51:32 PM by freebookservice »

Offline RM Prioleau

• Fantasy Author
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Prioleau
« Reply #522 on: December 08, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
No. An email was sent out via KDP about it:

"The book description contains unsupported HTML tags. While we've allowed this HTML in book descriptions before now, after November 2, 2013, we no longer support it. For more information about whats allowed in book descriptions, please see: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A377RPHW6ZG4D8"

Okay, well I noticed you had said that some of the books had been 'grandfathered in' with the HTML in the book description so that was why I was wondering.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #523 on: December 08, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »
I won't be sharing results here in the future. When I do share good promos (like ENT book of the day where I made thousands) everyone is nice.

When I share visibility is great, and I'm happy but say sell through is modest, I get piled on. If I wasn't sharing I was using this service, no one here would know.

I've received emails from some of the bestsellers here and elsewhere who wonder why I share with you all. They would never, and I'm beginning to see why.
If something works, I'll keep it to myself.
If something doesn't work, I'll keep that to myself too.

My book is still:

ASIN: B0052AI5W8
Text-to-Speech: Enabled  
X-Ray: Enabled  Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #88 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Christian > Fantasy
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Horror

I'm very happy with the visibilty this site is providing. Four days later, and it's still in the top 100.

Worth every penny I paid, as that is better visiblity on lists that I've had from any paid marketing promotion from any site. I'm in the writing game for the long term. I'm building the Lisa Grace brand. Visibility for me is key. I have another book coming out in January. If this doesn't play into your long term plan, fine.

I can think of many companies that lose money because they keep reinvesting (Amazon is one of them). I can think of many authors who did the same thing. James Patterson and John Grisham come to mind. Invest in your career the way you see fit. If immediate ROI is all you care about, great. While it would be nice, it may not be realistic outside the romance and one or two other genres.

Good luck to you and however you decide to work your plan.

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Online Crime fighters

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 08, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
I'm sorry you feel piled on. My snarky graphic (that was removed by an administrator) wasn't aimed towards you but rather the first line in that post. The one basically saying if you didn't want to be in the top 100, don't buy this service. The implication that you are now going to HAVE to buy downloads bothered me.

You are free to make your own decisions and I don't think anybody in this thread is telling you that you can't. I also wouldn't look at it like piling on but rather see it as concern from authors to authors. There are about a hundred red flags, and at the very least I think it would be best to sit back and watch the cards fall.

At the end of the day, if it turns out these aren't readers but rather manufactured downloads, Amazon IS going to do something about it. They could delete publisher accounts or they could alter the way free downloads work. We don't know. There is no malice in this thread for those who choose to use the service, only concern. I'm sorry you feel otherwise.

Posting exact sales numbers takes courage because for a lot of people they are private. And I think you are looking at it wrong. When you have success, people of course, are going to congratulate you. When you have less than desired results, it makes sense that others would point out flaws in a system. Should we have not said anything?

This service could be vindicated in the future but it's not a likely outcome I can see happening. What I don't understand are those users who post about their results but are impervious to the faults and instead of thinking it over go on the counter attack. I don't think you've been attacked but again I'm sorry if you felt that way.