Author Topic: What I don't understand (about the Kindle 1G)  (Read 4062 times)  

Offline Malweth

• Rhode Island
    • View Profile
What I don't understand (about the Kindle 1G)
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:43:22 AM »
I was organizing my content today using the on-Kindle organizer (we can't plug personal electronic devices into our work computers) when I realized something totally mind-boggling: the Content Manager and the Home (book list) provide the same function (listing your books) in two different places. What's the point of that?? I love the fact that I can see exactly what is on the Kindle, Card, or Cloud at any given time. I love that I can organize my content using these three locations. The Kindle holds the books I'm actively reading, my SD Card (4 GB) holds what I've read or archived, and Amazon holds the crap that I don't want to delete (I paid for some of that stuff) but don't want on my Kindle.

I realize this complaint essentially comes down to the "folders" argument, but I should be able to sort my content in the Home listing using the same functions available in the Content Manager listing. This is a different issue than the K2 because of its SD card removal.

It's really not a big deal in comparison with the amount of good functionality I get from the Kindle. This is the device I've been seeking for over 10 years (starting with the Palm IIIx). I'm a finicky reader and need to bring along a lot of content in order to decide on what to read. I have no problem jumping between a couple fiction books, non-fiction books, magazines, and short stories (I rediscovered "The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction" on Fictionwise). It takes me a few tries to get past the first few chapters sometimes (before I decide that's the next book to read).

The Kindle doesn't solve these problems (in fact, Audiobooks do solve the problem), but the Kindle does allow me to find the next book without carrying a backpack full of them whenever we go away (vacation, my parents' house, etc). I haven't had the Kindle long, but I expect my wife will be surprised at how little I need to bring the next time we go away.
Code: [Select]
My life is made of patterns
that can scarcely be controlled.
                   -- Paul Simon

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
  • Nothin' but a hound dog.
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Ashland Building
Re: What I don't understand (about the Kindle 1G)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »
The difference is that the Content Manager holds everything that was purchased from Amazon, and the home list will show any Amazon books that are on your Kindle, as well as content that you have loaded from other sources.

In other words, Amazon purchased content that is not loaded on your Kindle does not show up on your Home page, which makes the Home page more of a to-be-read view, and the Content Manager more of a have-read view (assuming you delete books from your Kindle after reading).
   my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Malweth

• Rhode Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
I understand that. It's the User Interface I have an issue with.
I don't understand why they can't combine the views. It's generally bad UI design to have two actions that perform the same function.

What would make more sense to me:
- Combine the Content Manager and Home.
- Provide a "Selection Mode" menu option that adds the Content Manager checkboxes to each item.

by combining these menus they could provide inclusion / exclusion options without duplication of effort.
Code: [Select]
My life is made of patterns
that can scarcely be controlled.
                   -- Paul Simon

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
  • Nothin' but a hound dog.
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Ashland Building
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
I dunno.... 'cause they didn't?

My understanding of other e-reader interfaces is that they are not any better....  I guess it is just not a high priority for the devices.
   my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline PhillipA82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »
I dunno.... 'cause they didn't?

My understanding of other e-reader interfaces is that they are not any better....  I guess it is just not a high priority for the devices.

You guess it right!

Offline devilmafia

• View Profile
    • clickinsmedia
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:17:19 AM »
The difference is that the Content Manager holds everything that was purchased from Amazon, and the home list will show any Amazon books that are on your Kindle, as well as content that you have loaded from other sources.
yes yir right
woo whooo

Offline devilmafia

• View Profile
    • clickinsmedia
woo whooo

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
I understand that. It's the User Interface I have an issue with.
I don't understand why they can't combine the views. It's generally bad UI design to have two actions that perform the same function.

What would make more sense to me:
- Combine the Content Manager and Home.
- Provide a "Selection Mode" menu option that adds the Content Manager checkboxes to each item.

by combining these menus they could provide inclusion / exclusion options without duplication of effort.

Just an older version, that is why it is better to wait for a second version, K2 of DX
"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac