Author Topic: You in the freeze zones-- how many plan to call off work, stay home and write?  (Read 2011 times)  

Offline Madeline Freeman

• View Profile
    • MadelineFreeman.net
I'm in the Detroit area and it's 9F (but feels like -16, apparently). I'm a teacher and we got a snow/too cold day. My husband plans to head off to work, though.

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
My wife and I had planned to go to the gym at the YMCA, but it was bitter cold this morning with snow on the ground so we decided to stay home since we are retired. 

It is suppose to warm up tomorrow so we will go then.  We try to go twice a week but the rest of the week is going to be nice.

I have been working on my new novel all morning and getting a lot done.  I still am proof reading my other novel so want to get it finished and published. 

Franklin Eddy
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline horse_girl

• View Profile
    • Melanie Nilles author website
Yesterday was worse than today, but since school is out due to the wind chills and hubby was given the option of working from home (application developer aka IT), I encouraged him to stay home as well. Then I can get some work done on the current WIP.

Ah, but I have to run out into the freezer to get a couple of errands done later. Only -33 F wind chill right now, so it's warming up. At least it's not as windy as yesterday.

Last cold spell, hubby and kids did this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziO9sjjUIeg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziO9sjjUIeg</a>

(Skip to the 25 second mark)
The Lereni Trade (A Novella Beyond Starfire Angels): 80%
Romantic to Dark, Science Fiction and Fantasy
Melanie Nilles / M. A. Nilles | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Pinterest

Offline Rufus Beerman

• Portland, ME
    • View Profile
    • MJColucci.com
Last cold spell, hubby and kids did this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziO9sjjUIeg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziO9sjjUIeg</a>

(Skip to the 25 second mark)

We tried doing this over the weekend in Maine, but it didn't work.  :'(

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
I am at 20 with a wind chill of 12 but it is pretty outside.    I will get some beta reading done today.   Husband did go to work.  The dog insisted on his heavy sweater.
PS the cold ones made me feel very warm.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline ecg52

• View Profile
I work from home already. Besides, I'm in Arizona where it is 62F now and our high will be 70. Perfect weather except the pool is too chilly to swim.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
I intended to hibernate. Then I had to go out this morning at 8 below (Fahrenheit) for an emergency run to the vet with my daughter's cat so she wouldn't have to miss any work. I'm now sitting here in my sweats beside a small space heater with my laptop open in front of me.

Offline Book Master

• Sevierville Tennessee
  • Every Word Counts
    • View Profile
    • BookMaster007
It will last a couple of days and then it warms again back to more normal temperatures.
I can't imagine what life would be like if we had to endure weeks upon weeks of these cold temperatures from a Polar Vortex.

http://t.co/GhtZWGIbL6

BM

Offline jackz4000

• View Profile
Not as cold here in Vermont as last week, should only get to minus 1 F at night and 8 F daytime high. Last week hit minus 25 and 30 F at night and minus 10 daytime high. That was too cold.

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
Bracing.
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline K.B.

• Ohio
  • Something in the way
    • View Profile
It's currently -8 here in Ohio, with a windchill of -29. I need to sell a gazillion books so I can move south before next winter. I can't deal with this shhhhh.

K.B. Nelson | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline swolf

• View Profile
Time to put up the backyard rink.

Offline R. K. Clark

• Louisville, KY
  • Burdened with Glorious Purpose
    • View Profile
Will you call off today?
Pfft... I'd love to, but they've already made hints that things would be dire for me if I didn't show up.  Under any other circumstances, I'm the "call your bluff" type.

What's the temp where you are?
3!  Today's High was 3 degrees Farenheit.  :o

Great day to hammer out a few pages worth today.
It's always a good day to hammer out pages.  I just have to marshal up the time.

So, will you? Do you dare? Or does the company live and die on your shoulders?
Pfft again... I'm a nameless drone here.  They don't even call me by the right name on official letterhead, but I'll show up anyways because I can use the extra money until the books take off.
"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." -- Stephen King

Offline Book Master

• Sevierville Tennessee
  • Every Word Counts
    • View Profile
    • BookMaster007
Stepped outdoors to gather more firewood for the stoves and......

"Whooooo Hooooooo!!!!!  :o It is frigid outside! It will be rough in the morning!

BM

Offline Al Dente

• Because my raps are so hard.
    • View Profile
I'm in Tennesse and it's COLD! I'm actually about to kick back with a cup of cocoa and start writing for the rest of the night.

Offline C.A. Bryers

• Minnesota
  • https://www.facebook.com/cabryersbooks
    • View Profile
    • C.A. Bryers Books
I was lucky enough to have today off due to my regular Tuesday through Saturday schedule, so avoided the -22 temperature and got 100 pages of the final edit on one of my two books done instead. Tomorrow, not so lucky.  :(

C.A. Bryers | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
We've got snow and ice here. But I braved the streets and took the kids to school as usual. Now that they're in bed I'm about to settle into some hot water to thaw out and write. Hard to hold a pen when my fingers are all stiff.  :(

Offline Book Master

• Sevierville Tennessee
  • Every Word Counts
    • View Profile
    • BookMaster007
I was taking a break from working and found an interesting little article here on the coldest temperatures ever recorded by forecasters. This cold snap is freaking people out, but it will improve.  ;)
BM

After a mild season last year, Old Man Winter is back with a vengeance! Last week brought punishingly cold temperatures to much of the U.S. and Canada, with actual temperatures dipping below 0 F in many regions, and wind chills much colder than that.

As cold as some of last weeks temperatures were, though, theyve got nothing on the coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth, −128.6 F, recorded at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica, on July 21, 1983.

No other continent has seen a temperature even close to this record. The closest, at −90 F, recorded in Russias Sakha Republic on two separate occasions, was nearly 40 degrees warmer.

The coldest temperature in both North America and Canada was −81.4 F (−63 C), recorded in Snag, Yukon on February 3, 1947. At just over a degree and a half warmer, the United States record occurred in Alaska, where a temperature of -79.8 F was recorded at Prospect Creek Camp in the Endicott Mountains of northern Alaska on January 23, 1971.

In the lower 48 States, the coldest temperature was ten degrees warmer than the nationwide record at -69.7 F, recorded at Rogers Pass, in Lewis and Clark County, Montana, on January 20, 1954.

Want to know what the record low temperature is for your state? Find out below!

State   Temp.   Date   Station
Alabama   -27   Jan. 30, 1966   New Market
Alaska   -80   Jan. 23, 1971   Prospect Creek
Arizona   -40   Jan. 7, 1971   Hawley Lake
Arkansas   -29   Feb. 13, 1905   Pond
California   -45   Jan. 20, 1937   Boca
Colorado   -61   Feb. 1, 1985   Maybell
Connecticut   -32   Feb. 16, 1943   Falls Village
Delaware   -17   Jan. 17, 1893   Millsboro
Florida   - 2   Feb. 13, 1899   Tallahassee
Georgia   -17   Jan. 27, 1940   N. Floyd County
Hawaii   12   May 17, 1979   Mauna Kea
Idaho   -60   Jan. 18, 1943   Island Park Dam
Illinois   -36   Jan. 5, 1999   Congerville
Indiana   -36   Jan. 19, 1994   New Whiteland
Iowa   -47   Feb. 3, 1996   Elkader
Kansas   -40   Feb. 13, 1905   Lebanon
Kentucky   -37   Jan. 19, 1994   Shelbyville
Louisiana   -16   Feb. 13, 1899   Minden
Maine   -48   Jan. 19, 1925   Van Buren
Maryland   -40   Jan. 13, 1912   Oakland
Massachusetts   -35   Jan. 12, 1981   Chester
Michigan   -51   Feb. 9, 1934   Vanderbilt
Minnesota   -60   Feb. 2, 1996   Tower
Mississippi   -19   Jan. 30, 1966   Corinth
Missouri   -40   Feb. 13, 1905   Warsaw
Montana   -70   Jan. 20, 1954   Rogers Pass
Nebraska   -47   Feb. 12, 1899   Camp Clarke
Nevada   -50   Jan. 8, 1937   San Jacinto
New Hampshire   -47   Jan. 29, 1934   Mt. Washington
New Jersey   -34   Jan. 5, 1904   River Vale
New Mexico   -50   Feb. 1, 1951   Gavilan
New York   -52   Feb. 18, 1979   Old Forge
North Carolina   -34   Jan. 21, 1985   Mt. Mitchell
North Dakota   -60   Feb. 15, 1936   Parshall
Ohio   -39   Feb. 10, 1899   Milligan
Oklahoma   -31   Feb. 9, 2011   Nowata
Oregon   -54   Feb. 10, 1933   Seneca
Pennsylvania   -42   Jan. 5, 1904   Smethport
Rhode Island   -25   Feb. 5, 1996   Greene
South Carolina   -19   Jan. 21, 1985   Caesars Head
South Dakota   -58   Feb. 17, 1936   McIntosh
Tennessee   -32   Dec. 30, 1917   Mountain City
Texas   -23   Feb. 8, 1933   Seminole
Utah   -69   Feb. 1, 1985   Peters Sink
Vermont   -50   Dec. 30, 1933   Bloomfield
Virginia   -30   Jan. 22, 1985   Mountain Lake
Washington   -48   Dec. 30, 1968   Mazama
West Virginia   -37   Dec. 30, 1917   Lewisburg
Wisconsin   -55   Feb. 4, 1996   Couderay
Wyoming   -66   Feb. 9, 1933   Riverside
Information Courtesy the National Climatic Data Center.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
Book Master, that was a fun post to read. OK, I admit it: strange things entertain me.

Offline Book Master

• Sevierville Tennessee
  • Every Word Counts
    • View Profile
    • BookMaster007
Yes, it was interesting Sapphire.
I remember it getting this cold two other times in my lifetime. Just think about how many people experienced this kind of cold from the polar vortex as they tagged it, for the first time in their young lives. I imagine it was quite the shocker to wake up 24 hours later to the below 0 temperatures.

Father use to tell me when he was alive, that snow would stay on the ground from late November through late March in the Tennessee Mountains. Most of the time here in the South, when the harsh cold air arrives, we seldom have any or much moisture to make it snow. I ran across another website after I posted about the record lows here that was a strange one indeed. A website about a woman that could tell things that would happen in the future. As I continued reading some of the older post on the site, she was making predictions about the winter of 2014. Now what was interesting about those predictions was that they were posted in the spring and summer of 2012 or around that time frame.

In her predictions, she claimed that North America would have a terrible 2014 winter. She said that many would suffer through bad times if they failed to heed the warning she was trying to give them in her early predictions on the site. I think she was trying to warn others to stock up on supplies from food staples, extra money for fuel costs due to heating, etc.

I was watching the news earlier tonight checking out the incredible images of the ice everywhere up North. The weather forecasters claim it will improve in a few more days. Did they tell us we were going to be in the Deep Freeze this winter? Nope.

Anyway, I think I'll take that advice from that website about this year's winter, and get my butt out there during the next five to seven days cutting up additional firewood to burn in our stoves. We have had too many milder winters here in America, and I have the feeling that we are going to be making up for those milder ones starting this present season.
 ;)

BM