NetGalley

Author Topic: PC Mag How to install other free apps to kindle fire.  (Read 1636 times)  

Offline Tabatha

• MA
    • View Profile
PC Mag How to install other free apps to kindle fire.
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »
PC Mag article on How to install other free apps to kindle fire. Does not require a root process, uses APK from your other android devices. May want to print out the instructions. Requires EZ File explorer for android, and Easy Installer for Fire from Amazon.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396283,00.asp

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: PC Mag How to install other free apps to kindle fire.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
Thanks, Tabatha.

For those interested, I move my .apk files off my Android device into a Dropbox folder usng EZ File Explorer using the move mode in the app, and then open Dropbox on my Fire and do the install from there.  You can get Dropbox from www.dropbox.com. <--saying this from memory; I haven't done it in awhile, and I have people coming over in a couple hours, trying to get ready....

And, I think (but I'm not sure) that you can use the EZ File Explorer from the Amazon Appstore on your Android device.

Also note that I've read that some files downloaded from Google Play are coded for the device, so copying them to the Fire may not work for some apps.  I can't say, as I don't do this much.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:45:04 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline maryjf45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
     On top of HD, click "more", then "device", then "allow apps from unknown sources. Get ES File Explorer (I like the newer one best, ES3, if you have the old one, try this, I think it's quite improved) from Amazon's app store. Go to 1mobile website and install the 1mobile app. From that app you can download and install many apps not available from Amazon's store. The one I use most is the Chrome browser because I still have issues with Silk. Also, my Dish Anywhere app is not available at Amazon right now. To find the 1mobile app and other non-Amazon apps, open the ES app, and look for applications or application manager.

I usually end up putting these apps in my favorites (the star on your HD screen), because the device seems to resist making these easy to find. I recently had to reinstall, because my son was messing around with my device, trying to get around the password, and somehow deregistered it, Aargh!) Anyway, it took at least several days for the Chrome icon to appear on the carousel even though I use it a lot. I had to keep going into ES3 to open it, until I put it on favourites. ES is also good for finding lost downloads and deleting them or accessing them. You just have to click on things and explore.

I think this is easier than connecting to a computer though, and that's what PCmag advises. Personal preference, I guess.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:32:31 AM »

Also note that I've read that some files downloaded from Google Play are coded for the device, so copying them to the Fire may not work for some apps. 

Also note that if. like me, your only android device is a phone, then the app you have may be different from the tablet version and so may not work as well on the Fire, or it just may not have all the features of the tablet version.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch