Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Debut author turned down 6 figures, 3 books New York publishing deal to self-pub  (Read 37836 times)  

Offline VEVO

• View Profile
    • Top 100 Ebooks Ranking (by genre)
http://brennaaubrey.net/2013/12/08/in-which-i-explain-why-i-turned-down-a-three-book-new-york-print-deal-to-self-publish/

It peaked in the low 100s on the Kindle Store on December 12, 2013, judging from this blog post (maybe even lower)

http://theseasonforromance.com/wordpress/2013/12/interview-giveaway-at-any-price-by-brenna-aubrey/

I was also lucky enough to have Brenna by for a virtual sit-down and here it is.

**P.S. AT ANY PRICE is currently #137 in the Kindle store. Woot!!!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:05:05 PM by Ann in Arlington »
Top 100 Ebooks Ranking (by genre)
http://ebooktop100.blogspot.com

Self-Publishing Success Stories (50,000+ sold)
http://selfpublishingsuccessstories.blogspot.com/

Offline dalya

• View Profile
If I had a friend who got offered a million dollars for three books, one already written, and she hadn't self-published before, I'd tell her to take the money and start writing two more books. It's a million dollars. Sure, maybe you'd get more self-publishing. Totally possible. But it's a million dollars!

If anyone offered me an advance like that, I'd start writing up those three books real fast.  :)

I apologize for being very stupid. I thought it was a million dollars. If it was more like 100,000, that's a different story.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:18:21 PM by Mimi (was Dalya) »

Offline ElHawk

• San Juan Islands, WA
    • View Profile

Good for the author.  It was likely a wise move, depending on what was in her contract.  I'm guessing she didn't find something too terribly palatable in there.  Or maybe she just sees the writing on the wall.

Yes, a million bucks is great right now, but if there was something restricting her from writing more or publishing however she wanted with any books that weren't in the three-book deal, I'm not sure a million would be worth it.  It all depends on what was in that contract.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:05:19 PM by Ann in Arlington »

Take Off Your Pants and see what everybody is talking about!
Libbie Hawker | Site + Blog | Mailing List | Twitter

Offline brenna

• View Profile
If I had a friend who got offered a million dollars for three books, one already written, and she hadn't self-published before, I'd tell her to take the money and start writing two more books. It's a million dollars. Sure, maybe you'd get more self-publishing. Totally possible. But it's a million dollars!

If anyone offered me an advance like that, I'd start writing up those three books real fast.  :)

It wasn't a million dollars. LOL. Six figures, not seven.

Offline brenna

• View Profile
The understatement is strong with this one. :)

Word.  I've been dragged through the mud over there all day.  Called a liar, a fraud, difficult, stubborn, and idiot who doesn't understand "big publishing business things."  Poor little woman so unedumacated.  Grrrr.  Don't mind the smoke coming out of my ears. sigh.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
Word.  I've been dragged through the mud over there all day.  Called a liar, a fraud, difficult, stubborn, and idiot who doesn't understand "big publishing business things."  Poor little woman so unedumacated.  Grrrr.  Don't mind the smoke coming out of my ears. sigh.
You won't be called those names over here! Congratulations!

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
Yo! McAfee bombs out on AW! It's advertising related. A sign of the old guard's despair?

8)

I need a devil smiley. Betsy, why don't we have a devil smiley?

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile

I defended you, Brenna! :)

Offline Lionel's Mom

• Texas
  • and stupid stuff, it makes us shout.
    • View Profile
The book looks super cute, and like it's doing fantastic.

I'd love to get an offer and refuse it!  :P 

Offline catethewriter

• View Profile
Congrats on a fabulous debut, Brenna. Just grabbed a copy, and I look forward to reading it. I love the premise!

Offline dalya

• View Profile
It wasn't a million dollars. LOL. Six figures, not seven.

GAHHHH I hate myself! I always get that wrong. I take back my comment then. I will go sit in the corner being stupid.  ;) ;)

This is why I get no offers, LOL.

EDIT: Also, hello Brenna! Now I feel double stupid for talking about a member. You are one of us. I will have your back from now on, LOL.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:20:26 PM by Mimi (was Dalya) »

Offline brenna

• View Profile

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
This is why I hang out here where it's nice and quiet and one can get opinions and advice without being shouted at, down and over.
I won't bother checking that thread out (not starting the New Year with negativity) but, in the end, I'd think the contents of the contract are what clinches it, not a wild guess on current trends.

Welcome, Brenna and congratulations for such a huge event, no matter which way it shakes out.
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline mariehallwrites

• Honolulu, Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • I'm Kinda a Big Deal...
I know Brenna *HI HUN* :-* She didn't just do this with no thought behind it, she made a very difficult choice and weighed the pros and the cons. She did what felt right for her, I do not understand why anyone would give her flack over it (not talking about anyone here, but I read those comments on absolute write and I got a little steamed from it :-X)

I support your decision to do what felt right to you girly.

NY Times & USA TODAY Bestselling Author
Marie Hall | Blog

Offline brenna

• View Profile
GAHHHH I hate myself! I always get that wrong. I take back my comment then. I will go sit in the corner being stupid.  ;) ;)

This is why I get no offers, LOL.

EDIT: Also, hello Brenna! Now I feel double stupid for talking about a member. You are one of us. I will have your back from now on, LOL.

Haha Mimi, no worries. :-) Hello to you. I forgive you for kicking my ass on the NA top 100 with your $#%#^ boxed set.  :P  hehe (I'm Team Peaches btw)

Offline Zoe York

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Zoe York, contemporary romance author
I do think that there's good reason to work with publishers, but I can't think of any for a debut author. I spent months at AW, and quietly realized that I needed to find places online that supported self-publishing, because it seemed like a really good thing. That's what I learned from the hotbed of SPing Sucks.

I'm not going to read the thread. Not the best way to start the new year.

Brenna, you rock.

Offline AmberDa1

• All things medieval~ Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Amber Dane's Blog
Just read your blog post, Brenna and it's inspiring. Congratulations and glad you made this decision. The book sounds great!  :)

Offline brenna

• View Profile

((And in this case, the author is as good as they think she is. She made the right move.))

Thanks for your kind words. :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:58:38 PM by Brenna »

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey

This bodes well. My career positively took off after being called nasty things on that site. ;D

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline brenna

• View Profile
Congrats on a fabulous debut, Brenna. Just grabbed a copy, and I look forward to reading it. I love the premise!

Thank you, Cate!  Hope you like it.

Offline brenna

• View Profile

Welcome, Brenna and congratulations for such a huge event, no matter which way it shakes out.

Thank you!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:59:08 PM by Brenna »

Offline dalya

• View Profile
Haha Mimi, no worries. :-) Hello to you. I forgive you for kicking my *ss on the NA top 100 with your $#%#^ boxed set.  :P  hehe (I'm Team Peaches btw)

Hey, thanks! Good luck with your whole trilogy. I did the boxed set a bit earlier than some might, so it would be easier to give as a Christmas gift. Really, you never know. Self-publishing is full of tough choices every day, but it sounds like you made the right one.

Offline brenna

• View Profile
Hugs to my girls Marie and Zoe xoxoxox!!!

This bodes well. My career positively took off after being called nasty things on that site. ;D

Seriously can't understand why people would call you nasty names. Ugh! Well at least I'm in good company !!  

* Sits in the mush pot with Hugh *

Offline catethewriter

• View Profile
Thank you, Cate!  Hope you like it.

I've got it on the top of my ginormous TBR pile. :)

Edited to remove AW bashing. *sigh*

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:52:58 PM by cate dean »

Offline Danni

• View Profile
Good for her. Sometimes those deals aren't always the best move for everyone, and it gets a little played out when the perception is that it's the only way to go to be a success. Hybrid is great, but I'd personally be on the fence if I were made a deal for my first self-pubbed books. Even now in my career, it would have to be a really sweet deal. Control is a wonderful aspect to being indie. If the price isn't working, we can adjust or switch the cover, maybe come out with a quick novella or run an ad. You give up that when you sign, and there's no guarantee the books will do well. In any case, I enjoy these stories every bit as much as those who share their stories about signing with a publisher.  If not more.