Author Topic: The SPECULATIVE FICTION high-five circle.  (Read 241997 times)  

Offline Robert Dahlen

• Acme Labs
  • Thank you, Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Queen Books
Re: The SPECULATIVE FICTION high-five circle.
« Reply #1575 on: November 23, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Since there weren't any other volunteers for this week's Character Blog Hop, Cora gave me the okay to do a second post. So this week, meet Beth McGill! http://monkeyqueenbooks.blogspot.com/2014/11/character-blog-hop-meet-beth-mcgill.html
Fantasy novelist, all-around wisecracker and penguin aficionado. Need some fantasy adventure with heroines, humor and heart, and a touch of romance? Skyblade's Gambit and Book Fair Frenzy available exclusively at Amazon! Get all the Monkey Queen e-books at Amazon and other ebook retailers! Find previews, cover art, short stories and much more at the blog or the website!
Robert Dahlen | Blog | Website | Amazon Central | Willow the cover artist! | Avatar by Calomiel!

Offline mphicks

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #1576 on: November 25, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
That paperback design is beautiful, Harry. Kudos to the designer!

Michael Patrick Hicks | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Harry Manners

• Bedfordshire, England
  • Scribbler of Things
    • View Profile
    • HarryManners.net
« Reply #1577 on: November 26, 2014, 02:03:56 AM »
Cheers, guys!

Brace for a complete meltdown-b*tch-vent-post later today concerning my agent...
Frost (Ruin Saga #2.5): 100%

Fray (Ruin Saga #3): 10%

The Mantle: 50%
Harry Manners | Blog | Author Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #1578 on: November 26, 2014, 05:52:13 AM »
First of all, I've been featured in an SF Signal Mind Meld about great book openings together with a lot of other cool people.

Harry, that paperback looks great.

Thanks to Robert for jumping in on short notice to do another "Meet My Character" blog hop.

We still have an opening for this Sunday, November 30, so if anybody has a character you'd love to introduce, let me know and answer a few short questions. December 14 is also free and then every date following December 28.

Here is the full schedule:

07.09.2014:   Jamie Maltman
15.09.2014:   E.W. Pierce
21.09.2014:   Stacy Claflin
28.09.2014:   Jessica Rydill
05.10.2014:   Cora Buhlert
12.10.2014:   SB James
19.10.2014:   Jolie du Pr
26.10.2014:   William D. Richards
02.11.2014:   Landon Porter
09.11.2014:    S. Elliot Brandis
16.11.2014:   Robert Dahlen
23.11.2014:   Robert Dahlen, take 2
30.11.2014:   free
07.12.2014:   Rachel Medhurst
14.12.2014:   free
21.12.2014:   Amelia Smith
28.12.2014:   free
04.01.2015:   free
11.01.2015:   free

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #1579 on: November 26, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
First of all, I've been featured in an SF Signal Mind Meld about great book openings together with a lot of other cool people.

Harry, that paperback looks great.

Thanks to Robert for jumping in on short notice to do another "Meet My Character" blog hop.

We still have an opening for this Sunday, November 30, so if anybody has a character you'd love to introduce, let me know and answer a few short questions. December 14 is also free and then every date following December 28.

Congratulations, Cora! Those mind-melds are really fun. :)
Jessica Rydill | shamansland | Facebook

Offline Ted Cross

• Nassau, Bahamas
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #1581 on: November 26, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
That sounds interesting, and I'd take any free date. Like JDrew said, I'm not sure what else I need to do (new to this!).

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Offline Robert Dahlen

• Acme Labs
  • Thank you, Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Queen Books
« Reply #1582 on: November 26, 2014, 03:06:16 PM »

Glad to help, Cora! If anyone takes this Sunday, PM me with the info you'd like me to put up to link people to your websites etc, and I'll do the same.
Fantasy novelist, all-around wisecracker and penguin aficionado. Need some fantasy adventure with heroines, humor and heart, and a touch of romance? Skyblade's Gambit and Book Fair Frenzy available exclusively at Amazon! Get all the Monkey Queen e-books at Amazon and other ebook retailers! Find previews, cover art, short stories and much more at the blog or the website!
Robert Dahlen | Blog | Website | Amazon Central | Willow the cover artist! | Avatar by Calomiel!

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #1583 on: November 26, 2014, 05:25:28 PM »
Thanks, Jessica. It was a lot of fun to do, too, plus I'm in excellent company there.

J. Drew, Ted and anybody else who might be interested, here is how the "Meet My Character" blog hop works:

First of all, you need a blog. Then, on the date you signed up for, you answer the following questions about a character from your books:

1) What is the name of your character? Is he or she fictional or a historic person?
2) When and where is the story set?
3) What should we know about him or her?
4) What is the main conflict? What messes up his or her life?
5) What is the personal goal of the character?
6) What is the title of the book(s), and where can find out more?
7) When was the book published?

Answer those questions for your character, either in third or first person. And because this is blog hop, also include a short bio and a link to the blog of the person ahead of you and the person who comes after you. Then you post the whole thing on your blog. Ideally, the person ahead of you and after you should send you their info. If they don't, you'll have to contact them.

If you need some inspiration, here is a list of several people who have gone before you:
http://indiespecfic.blogspot.de/2014/10/the-meet-my-character-blog-hop.html
So you can check out the format and also the way they answered the questions.

Let me know if you want a spot. Currently, November 30, December 14 as well as December 28 and anything thereafter are free.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #1584 on: November 26, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
Cheers, guys!

Brace for a complete meltdown-b*tch-vent-post later today concerning my agent...

That's the way I used to feel just about every day about my agent, before I left his lack of services.

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #1585 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:42 AM »
Ted Cross has now taken the December 14 date. November 30 is still free as is December 28 and every date thereafter.

Here is the full updated schedule:

07.09.2014:   Jamie Maltman
15.09.2014:   E.W. Pierce
21.09.2014:   Stacy Claflin
28.09.2014:   Jessica Rydill
05.10.2014:   Cora Buhlert
12.10.2014:   SB James
19.10.2014:   Jolie du Pr
26.10.2014:   William D. Richards
02.11.2014:   Landon Porter
09.11.2014:    S. Elliot Brandis
16.11.2014:   Robert Dahlen
23.11.2014:   Robert Dahlen, take 2
30.11.2014:   free
07.12.2014:   Rachel Medhurst
14.12.2014:   Ted Cross
21.12.2014:   Amelia Smith
28.12.2014:   free
04.01.2015:   free
11.01.2015:   free

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
    • Author's website
« Reply #1586 on: November 27, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »
Cora,
Thanks for the info.  Snooze you lose so more power to Ted on the 14th.
I'm going to check out the blogs so far and will see what others have done before I decide anything.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
J Drew

visit me at  www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Offline Harry Manners

• Bedfordshire, England
  • Scribbler of Things
    • View Profile
    • HarryManners.net
« Reply #1587 on: November 27, 2014, 07:33:18 AM »
That's the way I used to feel just about every day about my agent, before I left his lack of services.

Yeah. So here goes:

My agent first approached me around 18 months ago, just when I was first about to self-publish my debut. She said she wanted to try and sell it to trad-houses, and I took her up on it. But I put in a proviso that I'd give it a year--I'd already invested significantly in the project and couldn't afford to sit on it indefinitely. So a year went by and we came close to two deals with major publishers, but ultimately the editors couldn't justify commissioning a trilogy from a debut author. Fair's fair.
Then things went quiet and I didn't hear from her until after the deadline we had sent elapsed. Nothing seemed to be happening. So I sent a polite email to thank her for everything, but I was going ahead with self publishing, and I'd approach her later with my new projects.
No reply.
So a week ago she finally gets back to me, saying she's been trying to sell it somewhere in Europe. Then she demands to know why I self published without telling her. I informed her about the email, and reminded her of our agreement. She claimed no email had been received, so I forwarded her a copy. She then called me to try and sort things out. The resultant conversation amounted to her accusing me of lying about our deal, claiming I wanted things 'both ways', and that she considered self-publishing 'a hobby' (after claiming in the first instance that she agreed with me in thinking that hybrid-authors were the way forward). She also claimed that self-publishing was a 'waste'.
I tried to talk her down and explain things. She told me to 'stop patronising her' and then said that we couldn't work together. I was surprised, but by then it was clear that she was impatient and profit-oriented--not the kind of person I want to work with. I was in the middle of thanking her for everything, and wishing her well, when she interrupted me with a quick 'ciao' and put the phone down on me.

So yeah... I'm a little wounded. A bit miffed.

Mostly, I'm embarrassed that I didn't know she was like that from the outset. She's been representing me for over eighteen months, after all... I'm afraid she behaves that way with everyone.

Urgh. In the meantime I've just got the manuscript for my new sci-fi back from my editors, both lovely women who I adore working with. I've also received the final proofs for Ruin's interior from my formatters, who are also great people. In addition, my cover designer just started working up the cover for the upcoming sci-fi, and I'm really excited by his ideas.

People in self publishing are nicer people. I'm sticking my feet firmly on this side of the fence for the time being.

Rant over. Now, I need a slice of cake.

Offline mphicks

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #1588 on: November 27, 2014, 10:55:45 AM »
Yeah. So here goes:

My agent first approached me around 18 months ago, just when I was first about to self-publish my debut. She said she wanted to try and sell it to trad-houses, and I took her up on it. But I put in a proviso that I'd give it a year--I'd already invested significantly in the project and couldn't afford to sit on it indefinitely. So a year went by and we came close to two deals with major publishers, but ultimately the editors couldn't justify commissioning a trilogy from a debut author. Fair's fair.
Then things went quiet and I didn't hear from her until after the deadline we had sent elapsed. Nothing seemed to be happening. So I sent a polite email to thank her for everything, but I was going ahead with self publishing, and I'd approach her later with my new projects.
No reply.
So a week ago she finally gets back to me, saying she's been trying to sell it somewhere in Europe. Then she demands to know why I self published without telling her. I informed her about the email, and reminded her of our agreement. She claimed no email had been received, so I forwarded her a copy. She then called me to try and sort things out. The resultant conversation amounted to her accusing me of lying about our deal, claiming I wanted things 'both ways', and that she considered self-publishing 'a hobby' (after claiming in the first instance that she agreed with me in thinking that hybrid-authors were the way forward). She also claimed that self-publishing was a 'waste'.
I tried to talk her down and explain things. She told me to 'stop patronising her' and then said that we couldn't work together. I was surprised, but by then it was clear that she was impatient and profit-oriented--not the kind of person I want to work with. I was in the middle of thanking her for everything, and wishing her well, when she interrupted me with a quick 'ciao' and put the phone down on me.

So yeah... I'm a little wounded. A bit miffed.

Mostly, I'm embarrassed that I didn't know she was like that from the outset. She's been representing me for over eighteen months, after all... I'm afraid she behaves that way with everyone.

Urgh. In the meantime I've just got the manuscript for my new sci-fi back from my editors, both lovely women who I adore working with. I've also received the final proofs for Ruin's interior from my formatters, who are also great people. In addition, my cover designer just started working up the cover for the upcoming sci-fi, and I'm really excited by his ideas.

People in self publishing are nicer people. I'm sticking my feet firmly on this side of the fence for the time being.

Rant over. Now, I need a slice of cake.

That's really disappointing to hear, but maybe I've heard enough "agents behaving badly" stories that I'm not completely surprised. Still, a horror story is a horror story. Shame she didn't have more professional tact in parting ways. Ah, well. Her loss, Harry!

Michael Patrick Hicks | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #1589 on: November 27, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
Cora,
Thanks for the info.  Snooze you lose so more power to Ted on the 14th.
I'm going to check out the blogs so far and will see what others have done before I decide anything.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

First come, first served, sorry. Feel free to sign up for any of the other dates, though. December 28 and after as well as this Sunday are still free.

Harry, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. The many agent horror stories you hear make me glad I never got around to getting an agent.

Offline S. Elliot Brandis

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: November 27, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »
That's insane, Harry.

Look at it this way:

By self-publishing, you achieved more in a matter of moments than she managed in 18 months.

And,

If that's what she considers professional behaviour, you've dodged a bullet.

S. Elliot Brandis | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline Harry Manners

• Bedfordshire, England
  • Scribbler of Things
    • View Profile
    • HarryManners.net
« Reply #1591 on: November 28, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »
Thanks, guys. It was quite a shock. But as you say, I've definitely dodged a bullet!

Anyway, I'm now putting together my first IngramSpark title. Exciting stuff. I can't wait to see what the proofs turn out like.

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #1592 on: November 30, 2014, 04:45:38 AM »
Today is the last day of the month, so it's time for the ever popular feature Indie Speculative Fiction of the Month, posted to my blog and crossposted to the Speculative Fiction Showcase.

So if you're looking for some new speculative fiction to read during the holiday season, look no further.

Offline Ted Cross

• Nassau, Bahamas
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #1593 on: November 30, 2014, 06:13:33 AM »
Today is the last day of the month, so it's time for the ever popular feature Indie Speculative Fiction of the Month, posted to my blog and crossposted to the Speculative Fiction Showcase.

So if you're looking for some new speculative fiction to read during the holiday season, look no further.

Thank you for doing this! It's nice to see my new book on there.

Ted Cross | blog | facebook

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #1594 on: November 30, 2014, 06:29:41 AM »

Cheers, Cora!

Following on from Robert Dahlen last week, I'm blogging in the "Meet my character" Blog hop - this week. I'm introducing my character, Annat. And next weekend, Rachel Medhurst will be taking up the torch!

http://livinginthemaniototo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/meet-my-character-annat.html
Jessica Rydill | shamansland | Facebook

Offline P.T. Phronk

• London, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Phronk.com
« Reply #1595 on: November 30, 2014, 06:45:08 AM »

Thanks for including me! I think I've said this before, but I'm blown away by how many of these books look amazing.

We are all awesome.

Oh and Harry: ugh, that suuucks. I hear so many agent horror stories. It seems like getting an agent, getting a good agent, having that agent sell to a publisher, having the book actually come out, and actually earn out the advance, has about the chances of winning the lottery five times. I'm overjoyed for the people who do manage it (and there are plenty of great agents out there), but I'm glad we have options that rely less on chance now.

Offline Harry Manners

• Bedfordshire, England
  • Scribbler of Things
    • View Profile
    • HarryManners.net
« Reply #1596 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »
Thanks Phronk. You're right, the odds are insurmountable--that may be very well why I signed up in the first place; top starry-eyed and gushing at being considered by an agent to keep a clear head. But it's all part of the journey. I'm glad I had the experience, because I learned a lot about the realities of the industry that just wouldn't have sunk in before.
But for now, I'm definitely glad I stuck to my guns and went down the self publishing route.
Onwards and upwards!

Offline S Jaffe

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Jaffe's Website
« Reply #1597 on: November 30, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »
I can't believe I'm only finding this thread now! Sheesh! Sometimes I think Kboards might be a tad too big. But then where would we put all this wonderfulness?

Anyway, hi folks! Glad to see this thread exists. Sorry to see that Harry Manners had a tough agent experience, but sadly, that's not unusual.  And, Harry, be glad the worst that happened was a loss of time and a b*tchy phone call. I know plenty who have had far uglier things happen.

Coming 2015: The Way of the Soul - The Malja Chronicles #6
Stuart Jaffe | website | newsletter | facebook | twitter

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #1598 on: November 30, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
Thank you for doing this! It's nice to see my new book on there.

Thanks for including me! I think I've said this before, but I'm blown away by how many of these books look amazing.

We are all awesome.

Well, you folks make it easy by writing so many good books.

Offline ameliasmith

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1599 on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
Hi folks!

I'm kind of giving up on my attempt to get away from kboards. If it's not one time-suck, it's another, and I do like the community here.

Anyhow, it's launch day! I'm doing a semi-soft launch, with a few ads for free days later this week and a minor blog tour. I haven't decided when to mention it all on Facebook to get family and friends to run over and maybe buy Scrapplings http://www.amazon.com/Scrapplings-Anamat-Book-Amelia-Smith-ebook/dp/B00NJ6DV9E/.  I should add it to my sig line here. I think I'll do that now.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac