Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: The SPECULATIVE FICTION high-five circle.  (Read 243402 times)  

Offline CrissyM

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Fangs and Lasers
Re: The SPECULATIVE FICTION high-five circle.
« Reply #2075 on: August 11, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
I actually just finished reading "Rat Queens". It's a spec fic graphic novel, and pretty awesome. NSFW, a little violent and has some nudity in it. But it's about a group of women adventurers that go on quests to make money, and starts with the town getting really tired of the town getting messed up when they are around. Good story line, great art.

Speculative fiction with heart.
Crissy Moss | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #2076 on: August 15, 2016, 06:06:42 PM »
this my month for interviews ... just completed this afternoon, extensive interview about my science fiction novels https://michaelaventrella.com/2016/08/15/interview-with-author-paul-levinson/

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
    • Author's website
« Reply #2077 on: August 18, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »
Finally my new epic fantasy novel, Fall of the Western Kings, at least the ebook version, is set to release on August 21 exclusively at Amazon for the introductory price of 99 cents or free through Kindle Unlimited.  As discussed in some earlier posts, my other books are not fantasies so this will be a test of whether scifi readers might jump at a fantasy novel by the same author.  Hoping that they will with my fingers crossed.  The book is now available for pre-order and so far that has not generated much excitement.  We'll see.

J Drew

visit me at  www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Offline CrissyM

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Fangs and Lasers
« Reply #2078 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
this my month for interviews ... just completed this afternoon, extensive interview about my science fiction novels https://michaelaventrella.com/2016/08/15/interview-with-author-paul-levinson/

How do you manage to get so many interviews Paul?

Speculative fiction with heart.
Crissy Moss | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: August 22, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
Believe it or not, these kinds of multi-interview months can be years in the making, and their all happening so close together is complete coincidence.  The Chris and Carl Film Box interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sAc5-EKok came from Carl, who interviewed me back in 2008 on MySpace (!), contacted me several months ago on Facebook, said he was starting a new podcast show, and would I like to be interviewed sometime this summer.  The Michael Ventrella interview https://michaelaventrella.com/2016/08/15/interview-with-author-paul-levinson/ arose from a panel Michael and I were on a Luncon (a science fiction con) in New York this past March.   So the upshot is - hang out and talk in as many online places as possible, same for conventions, and the interviews will come.

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2080 on: August 23, 2016, 06:23:03 AM »
I'm doing my first convention as an author! Yikes! I applied to be a panelist for Atomacon and they accepted me. It's a smaller con and the people seem nice. This is going to be an interesting experience. It's also the first con I've been to since Dragoncon gave me major overload a couple of years ago. Now I get to start an Appearances page on my website. How silly is that?

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:12 AM »
I'm doing my first convention as an author! Yikes! I applied to be a panelist for Atomacon and they accepted me. It's a smaller con and the people seem nice. This is going to be an interesting experience. It's also the first con I've been to since Dragoncon gave me major overload a couple of years ago. Now I get to start an Appearances page on my website. How silly is that?

Not silly - good promotion!

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2082 on: August 23, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »
Sometimes I feel like I'm playing at being an author. When something is so enjoyable, it can't really be work, right?

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »
In writing and promotion, usually the more enjoyable it is, the more effective :)

Offline smashthegamestate

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: August 24, 2016, 02:13:42 PM »
Fans of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams will find a lot to like here. Spindler's created an interesting world with unbound potential and I'm looking forward to more content from this author.
5 Star Amazon Review

A short tale that mixes smart commentary and a comic spin on SF. I especially enjoyed the end. If Douglas Adams is your cup of tea, you might be interested.
4 Star Amazon Review

Colin Spindler's CULT Group Coffee Sequence is a mystical space yarn for lovers of psychedelic science fiction.

CULT Group, a corporate entity shrouded in mystery and connected somehow to humans' colonization of Mars, is promising the impossible. It claims that the human mind can be separated from the body via a strange VR-like process called Sequencing. If CULT Group's claims check out, then human beings might just be able to cheat death.

Could disembodied immortality be at last within humanity's grasp? Or is CULT Group full of beans? The mysterious Participant sets out to investigate.

Of Bots and Beans introduces readers to the reclusive actress Dame Saffron Von Scruplescotch, the fumbling Director Jerubimbo Gripebagger, the mysterious Participant, the eccentric ideas of Sir Francis Buildobare, and the ever-present metamorphic nanobiotech bots crawling all over everything.

Of Bots and Beans is a Kindle Unlimited short read SF fans won't want to miss.

Phobos Eclipse of the Heart picks up the wild tale where Of Bots and Beans left off.

Follow the mysterious Participant's continuing misadventures in Sequencing. Learn about The Scullythorne Thesis, an authoritative document which can be twisted into providing support for any and every argumentative perspective. Uncover a nefarious plot to bring down the Dos Boletos facility. Mourn the tragic end of Sir Francis Buildobare and the loss of the Vladimarino Gripebagger Expedition. Puzzle over the controversial Alley Cat Initiative.

Revel in the mysteries of the nanobot-haunted Cosmos!

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: August 27, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
from review of Touching the Face of the Cosmos (anthology with science fiction stories and essays) in September 2016 Analog Science Fiction and Fact Magazine

"enough fascinating ideas here to fill weeks and months of thought ... If you're looking for a state-of-the-art snapshot of the current relationship between science fiction and religion, this is definitely the book is for you."

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 07, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »
This just in from The Portable Story Series Time-Travel Writing Contest, for which I was judge:

BIG NEWS! We're delighted to announce the winner and runners-up for our second short story contest, our Time Travel contest!

Congratulations to CHRISTI NOGLE and her winning story, CUBBY. CUBBY will be read by a narrator and recorded at CDM Sound Studios, Inc. in Manhattan. The Grand Prize audio production of the story will be posted for download in October.

Christi teaches college writing in Boise, Idaho. She has published fiction in the local Log Cabin Literary Center's Writers in the Attic anthology. This is her first story distributed to a national audience.

Congratulations also to the runners up, including:

Imminent Domain, by David Armstrong
Time and H. G. Wells, by Robert Grossmith
Our Friend John, by Christopher Fox
Somewhere Else, by Ryan Bloom
Hands of Time, by Carolyn Croop

Many thanks to our Time Travel contest judge, Paul Levinson. And writers, thank you for your submissions; we couldn't do Portable Story Series without you!

STAY TUNED, as we'll be announcing our newest contest theme soon! In the meantime, you can download our inaugural winning story (and donate!) here: http://portablestoryseries.com/#listen

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
    • Author's website
« Reply #2087 on: September 09, 2016, 10:34:41 AM »
So far, my new fantasy novel is selling better than I expected, beating all my best previous launches by a lot.  One thing clearly has come out of this is don't expect much for cross-over buyers between fantasy and scifi.  Maybe I should have know that.
Fall of the Western Kings, is available for free through Kindle Unlimited and is introductory priced at 99 cents.

J Drew

visit me at  www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: October 31, 2016, 08:58:57 PM »
Here's a video just released by international pop star Rita Ora, for fashion line Tezenis, with the title of my novel The Silk Code (winner of Locus Award for Best First Science Fiction Novel of 1999) emblazoned on the screen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFS4d_bk07I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFS4d_bk07I</a>