Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: The SPECULATIVE FICTION high-five circle.  (Read 243402 times)  

Offline ShaneJeffery

• Melbourne
    • View Profile
Re: The SPECULATIVE FICTION high-five circle.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 04:16:39 AM »
It is interesting. I reckon at least half of the movie market is spec fiction stuff (including superheroes, horror, science fiction, etc). Or more. You see the top grossing movies here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2013&p=.htm and I reckon all of the top ten, beside fast and the furious 6, are spec fic.

Exactly. I don't understand why Romance should be all the RAGE with reading, where it doesn't dominate film or TV. It's all storytelling. Come on Spec lovers, pic up a book.

Offline FrankZubek

• Ohio
  • frank.zubek@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Boards Book Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 04:36:49 AM »
Not sure if paranormal counts but I support you guys in spirit.

You could start a face book page and post yourself on there once a day or something and build up some followers.....

Or begin a blog ( and advertise it on face book and twitter)

Maybe start your own anthology? We have two burning up the kboards at the moment- always room for another one.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:28 AM »
I've parked my asteroid-turned-spaceship in the back. Try not to run in to it, 'kay?  8)

As a reader, SF has always been my first love. I especially love post-apocalyptic fiction (Alas, Babylon rules). Horror (the not gory variety) follows close behind, with fantasy taking a respectable bronze. As a writer, it seems horror is number one, with SF neck-and-neck, at least right now. I'm dipping my toes into urban fantasy, too.

This thread is great. Glad to meet you all. Also glad to see others of the female persuasion stopping by.  ;D

I think the idea of starting a Facebook page is great. No idea how to organize that, but it's something we can bat around for a bit.

Oh, and Doomed Muse, how about stepping up on the soap box, and get that rant going? This is the perfect thread to let it all hang out. Purely for edumacational purposes, as they say.  :)
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Chris P. O'Grady

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:05 AM »
*Rubs hands together*
"You guys want to see my comic book collection?"

I like this idea A LOT. I've visited the SF thread under the Book Bazaar a couple times, but not what I was looking for. Posting now and bookmarking so I dont lose track of this thread. In my ideal storyland I dont have to care about formating, size, promoting or sales. None of that stuff. I just want to get my crazy fun story ideas that make me and my friends laugh out of my head and onto *paper*.

Chrispy

Offline brendajcarlton

• Collegeville, PA. USA
    • View Profile
    • Brenda J. Carlton-Author
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:48 AM »
I offer my tail torch.  (You have to read Earthaways in my siggie to find out what that means.)  And you guys thought I was kidding about leprechauns from outer space.  :D

I only have one spec fic book, but it was an idea that demanded to be written, despite being outside of my usual realm.  Actually, I don't think I have a usual realm.  I have some associated follow up ideas that I might add if Earthaways starts to sell consistently, but so far, no dice.
Quirky tongue in cheek Sci Fi.  With Leprechauns
Josh Greenwood and his Mom and Dad are walking their neighbors to the corner when a freak accident kills one of them.  But which one?  Read all three variations.The first novel of
the parallel trilogy
FREE!!
Drug Company Mystery

Offline O_o

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 05:55:51 AM »
*Rubs hands together*
"You guys want to see my comic book collection?"

I kinda do  :-[ :P

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:06 AM »
Definitely a spec fiction writer here. Fantasy with a twist, usually.

Offline Usedtopostheretoo!

• Scarborough, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
Fantastic idea...you can have my HK416 with ACOG and canted iron sights.

My first novel was SpecFic, which has always been my favorite genre as a reader. I jumped ship to write a black ops series for a few years and recently returned with a Post-apoc, prepper-themed series.

The Romance market is awesomely insane thanks to the ebook revolution, not that it didn't fare well before...it's true potential lay dormant, in the masses of readers unwilling to bring the those purchases through the grocery line or onto an airplane. I remember seeing paperbacks with the covers torn off as a young adult while traveling. Ridiculous, but the stigma of Romance (especially erotica) was pervasive. It's never been like this for SpecFic readers. What you're seeing now is the true demand for the Romance/Erotic genre, and it's pretty amazing.

Still, very happy to see this circle of high fives.

Offline Chris P. O'Grady

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »
I kinda do  :-[ :P

LOL, prior to reading books...I collected a bunch of comics. No super hero stuff per se, but lots of Weird War stories mixed with Mad, that kind of thing. Somehow had the forethought to perserve them in plastic for the last 35 years. You know I have to go find them and break them out today.

Offline Samuel Peralta

• Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Samuel Peralta
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 06:29:07 AM »
Count me in.

I started out in the ebook world with poetry, and although successful enough for poetry, over the Christmas season I had an epiphany in the bookstore.

(Yes, I still go to bookstores, despite buying hundreds of Kindle ebooks and most of my own poetry books only being available in digital form.)

Going through the shelves, I stopped to admire the poetry of Margaret Atwood, of which, at this writing, she has twenty volumes.

I pulled out The Journals of Susanna Moodie and leafed through page after page of indescribable beauty, pain, insight.

Every poem was a poem I wish Id written.

And yet, of Atwoods array of volumes on the shelf, all iconic titles The Edible Woman, The Journals of Susanna Moodie, Surfacing, Life Before Man, The Handmaids Tale, Cats Eye, The Robber Bride, Alias Grace, The Blind Assassin, Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood, MaddAddam only one was poetry.

Twenty books of poems, and only one on the shelf. All the rest - speculative fiction.

Hello world.
All #1 Kindle Hot New Releases in Poetry
All #1-#5 Kindle Best Sellers in American Poetry

Literary awards & shortlists...
Palanca Award | BBC & UK Poetry Society |
League of Canadian Poets  | Twitter Shorty Award |
ARC Poem of the Year | Elgin Award |
Digital Literature Institute Award |
Goodreads Great Small Press Books & Chapbooks
Also, creator and series editor of The Future Chronicles series of speculative fiction short story anthologies
Samuel Peralta | website | facebook | twitter | google+ | pinterest | goodreads | imdb | newsletter

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
Space Opera rulez!

My theory as to why sci-fi movies do so much better than sci-fi books?
VISUALS. Reading 4000-word epic space battle is often utterly boring. You can put the entire thing in a five minute movie action sequence that'll blow people's minds. Even if you end up with noisy, fiery explosions in a vacuum.

I've learned so much during my research for my books, which is a huge bonus for me.
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline KevinH

• View Profile
    • The Hardman Writing Stylus
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »
You have my sword.

And my Wave Motion Gun.

I consider myself a sci-fi/fantasy author, and the more popular of my two series are my superhero novels. I like the vibe of this thread and  look forward to participating here. Hopefully the thread will have a great deal of longevity.

Offline Ken.Hagdal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
No offense to anybody, but I would prefer to keep this thread clear of romance, erotica, and young adult fiction (I'm aware these can cross lines with spec fiction, but they really occupy a different space). If you write science fiction, fantasy, or horror, then come on-board.

My main aim here is to meet and talk with other spec fic authors. Talk about what you're working on, what interests you, etc. Please don't promote your releases - this is better done elsewhere. The goal here is to have a supportive community of similar authors.

Nice premise... Speculative fiction is one of my favorites genre as a reader and writer. The Non-YA type. My upcoming novel is a dystopia/satire on inter-gender issues. Sort of a male version of the Handmaid's Tale. My next fiction project will take place farther off in the future, at a time when mankind has reached the end of its rope in terms of technology and exploitation of natural resources.

I'm glad to see favorite book titles in the thread... Some of mine: 1984, We, Brave New World, A Canticle for Leibowitz, War with the Newts.

Offline olefish

• View Profile
    • omnifish
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
what do you all think about publishing at the spec-fic mags to build an audience?

Offline LindsayBuroker

• Prescott, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Lindsay Buroker's Spiffy Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 07:40:24 AM »
Hey guys,

There may be a lot more indies making a living writing fantasy and science fiction than people realize. If you poke around the Top 100 in epic fantasy, for example, it takes a pretty high sales ranking to break in, and the last time I looked at the Top 100 overall on Amazon there were a lot of dystopians in the mix. There is definitely an audience for spec fic. As big as mystery, romance, and thrillers? Perhaps not, but we have an awesome fan base. A very dedicated fan base. They're the folks who took Star Trek into three seasons through massive letter writing campaigns, who travel long and far to attend SF/F conventions in droves every year, and who caused Serenity to be made based on a TV show that was canceled after twelve episodes. If you can find them and win them to your side, they're amazing. I have the fan art hanging on the wall to prove it. :D

What works for promotion and being found? I've used Wattpad, podiobooks, advertising (Goodreads, Facebook, Bookbub, ENT), blogging, and a perma-free Book 1 in a series. Though I think a lot of it is just being out there over time and continuing to publish stuff people like to read on a regular basis. I've never had a huge bestseller, but the readers trickle in over time, and I'm finding the 1,000 True Fans article to be accurate. That's about what you have to gather to make a reliable living at this.

Anyway, I know that wasn't the original question, but I sensed a lot of chagrined attitudes in the thread. ;) Stick with what you love to write!

Offline wolfrom

• View Profile
    • Wolfrom Writes
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »
Hello from the bowels of spec fic (post-apocalyptic). I did *okay* in 2013, but I'm certainly not replicating any successes so far this year.

I think spec fic is really great for the long game, if you believe in what you're writing. A good spec fic book can find its audience years down the line, and maybe now with self publishing and the long tail, we might see books take off after a decade or more of obscurity.

At least, that's what I tell myself when I have a day with no sales.

Offline burke_KB

• Spokane WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Here's the thing: Spec-fic (or as I like to say, Nerd Genres) is more popular right now than it has ever been. The problem is that our infrastructure needs are not being met by a self-pub industry that makes it gravy on romance and mysteries.

For example, no one I talk to online on a regular basis knows what in the seven interlocking hells Bookbub, or ENT or any of the other big agrigators are. No one. That's because when me or one of my fellow nerdlings wants a book recommendation, we'll start a thread, or jack into a favorite blogger's (usually not a dedicated book blogger) RSS feed and go from there.

At this moment, there's really no good, reliable way to reach our readers through the normally recommended channels. We need... well this thread, actually. We need to work together to find ways of tapping into those people who got LotR a mess of Oscars, helped the Avengers make all the money, and keep the bloated, stinking corpse ratings sensation that is Game of Thrones on television.

They're there, we just don't have line of site. If only we could get the self-pubbing game to switch to a hex grid...

This is what I'm finding in my research. I write dark fantasy, and I'd love to book ads, but I don't see any sites worth advertising on. If I wrote thrillers I'd have dozens of options, and it looks like blog tours actually work for that genre.

Offline wrenroberts

• View Profile
    • Yes I Do Have A Website
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »
Oh hey guys, sorry I'm late. Finding parking for my space colony was surprisingly difficult.

I write the gamut of speculative fiction: fantasy, scifi and horror. Sometimes I combine them all and then get asked how many times I've watched Stargate. To which, I plead the 5th.

My first book, which is so painfully close to being ready to get out there, occupies the murky waters of science fantasy. And yes, I'm totally aware I'm probably setting myself up for a lot of failure before I see any success.

Looking for some feminist science fiction?

"☆☆☆☆☆ ...a tale that needed telling..."

Three Days of Night is out now.
Wren Roberts | blog | twitter | goodreads | newsletter

Offline Duane Gundrum

• Grand Rapids, Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Duane Gundrum
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »
I have been writing speculative fiction since my very early days of writing, and it's always been difficult to connect with a market. In the olden days, I used to publish nonstop through magazines that were publishing this kind of stuff. When the ebook revolution came along, we kind of got pushed aside, and next thing you knew every romance writer in the woodworks was popping out of nowhere. And they started including speculative features into their stories (the whole vampire thing and then werewolves, etc.) so that I think readers started to think THAT was speculative fiction. Those of us who do world-building and create fiction using harder sciences with less (or no) emphasis on sex have been sort of marginalized if we're not already big names beforehand.

I'd be very interested to hear from a lot of other speculative fiction writers to see how they're handling this continuous transition, aside from just giving in and becoming hybrid romance writers. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't really feel like a solution to me.

Twitter: DuaneGundrum | Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
  • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »
There are a number of reasons why writers of speculative fiction (specfic) have a difficult time defining who their audience is (and, thus, reaching them). The term itself isn't that well known; more folks identify with horror or fantasy or super hero. (To assist my readers, I have a page dedicated to what it is on my website.) Nor it the definition even that well-defined. Heinlein is generally attributed credit for coining the phrase, intending it as more broadly encompassing of multiple genres, but he then went on to restrict by claiming it's NOT Fantasy (I think most of us generally agree that some fantasy deserves a seat at the table). Also, readers in one genre under the specfic umbrella aren't necessarily happy crossing into another specfic genre (space opera versus horror, for example). As "specfic writers," especially those writing in multiple genres, our challenge includes targeting multiple target audiences rather than trying to find a single panacea for all of them. Marketing to a specfic audience is like trying to herd cats and gophers at the same time.
Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Offline wrenroberts

• View Profile
    • Yes I Do Have A Website
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 08:46:25 AM »
I'd love to book ads, but I don't see any sites worth advertising on. If I wrote thrillers I'd have dozens of options, and it looks like blog tours actually work for that genre.

Hey guys, you guys, hey. Why don't we build one?

Looking for some feminist science fiction?

"☆☆☆☆☆ ...a tale that needed telling..."

Three Days of Night is out now.
Wren Roberts | blog | twitter | goodreads | newsletter

Offline CEMartin2

• Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Troglodad
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Specfic definitely sums me up. I like to call my series pulp-horror, but has milscifi, action, horror, fantasy, superhero etc elements all woven together

Inagree with LindsayB there's goit to be more of us than we think. I have one perma free, five novels, three shorts and two omnibuses out now and am consistently selling four or more copies a day (for two months now), yet my author rank is still around six thousand for kindle, and none of my paid works make it into any top 100, suggenres. That tells me lots of specfic is selling way better.

Regarding bookbub, etc for spec fic, how about we come up w a list of where to find out about spec fic and me or oine of the other AmazingStories bloggers here at kboads could write a short article listing them all? I totally agrre that specfic is really catching on--movies and tv series show that the genpop definitely likes specfic these days. Maybe romance's reign at the top is running out?

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Ty Johnston
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »
Hello all,

I write/publish mostly epic fantasy, but I tend to think of myself more as a horror writer, and I've penned the off science fiction piece from time to time, as well as some more literary works.

Glad to see this group here, especially concerning the promotions front.

Most of the "mainstream" promotion options don't seem all that inclined to help out spec-fic writers, through no fault of their own. For a generic example, most sites will advertise they send out thousands of e-mail notices to fantasy readers, but the term "fantasy" encompasses a lot of different sub-genres, and in my experience readers tend to heavily prefer one of those sub-genres over the others. Such as, I publish epic fantasy, but sending out thousands of e-mail shots to fantasy fans means I'm only likely to draw a portion of that crowd, perhaps even a relatively small portion of that crowd.

To combat this, I've been doing the permafreebie thing for a while now, but I've also been working to make some inroads into the fantasy tabletop gaming community. I've contacts with some folks who used to work directly or freelance for the larger gaming companies and who are now doing their own indie thing as far as fiction and tabletop games go. Anthologies have proven to be fun, pay a little, and offer a way to get my name out to more people. I've even managed to get my print books in a few gaming stores, though have had no success with indie book stores.

Target advertising for fantasy seems almost nonexistant, or overly expensive for little exposure.

Just tossing out ideas. Love to hear others.

Ty Johnston | blog

Offline HezBa

• View Profile
    • H.L. Baker
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »
I know Find, Read, Love has separate facebook pages for Horror, Spec Fiction, Science Fiction, Fantasy, etc. It's free and she posts pretty regularly. I sent her a request more than a couple of months ago, and I still see my books go up every now and then, without any further requests, so that's nice.

Offline dkgould

• View Profile
    • Celebrate Imagination
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
pretty solidly post-apoc here.  First one was post-apocalyptic fantasy, second one was post-apocalyptic sci-fi, next one is post-apocalyptic horror (I could call the last two zombie books but the purists get mad)  And I love, love, love reading pretty much everything under the speculative fiction umbrella!  I think the key to specfic breaking out is going to be using other media.  I think we're going to be the ones that have to push the envelope and find ways to mix our story presentation (you know, somehow adding animated comics to graphic novels- or other novels or soundtracks to epic space novels or hooks that include video games, etc)  I think the fans are spread out across lots and lots of platforms and the key to finding them is going to be working together with other artists to reach them.