KB Featured Book
The Mind of a Medium
by Tony Garrod

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-01-29
Bestseller ranking: 1655883

Product Description
A fascinating look at consciousness, mediumship, psychics, spritualist circles, scientific theories, the paranormal and more.

As a developing medium, there are many questions we need answers to concerning our ability, but find that many of those questions have no answers no matter how hard we look.

In this book I describe different sides to becoming a medium and give some guidance as to what sort of circle may best suit an individual. I explain how different circle venues and the people who attend and run them can help or hinder progress in this field. I also explain the different techniques that various tutors use and discuss the experiences I've had with the mediums, tutors and lessons I've taken in the circles I've attended. I explain how connections are experienced, made and lost, and the ups and downs to connections made.

If you've read my first book, Fifty-one Percent, you will know that I like ...

Author Topic: Could you write without a computer?  (Read 2519 times)  

Offline Sam Rivers

• Wide and Free
    • View Profile
Could you write without a computer?
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:31:51 AM »
Computers make it so easy to write.  It is easy to make changes and move things around.  We can check spelling and reseach on the Internet.  It makes writing a story much easier.

Some of my first short stories were written by hand and were a real struggle.  My hand kept getting tired.  I was talking to my wife about that the other day and she agreed that using a computer is so much easier than using a pen. 

I am not sure that I would continue writing if I had to use a pen or pencil instead of a computer.  I am not talking about jotting down some notes but full time writing.

Franklin Eddy

Offline gljones

• Fly over country
    • View Profile
    • G.L. Jones Books
Re: Could you write without a computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:11 AM »
I tried writing w/o a computer a while back and it was dreadful. It gives me a profound respect for writers in the past who had no choice and people today who can pull that off. Suffice it to say, I have no idea how people can possibly write without an electronic device of some sort.

Visit My Website
www.gljonesbooks.com

Offline vrabinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »
I started out writing on a manual typewriter,  so sure. But it would SUCK to make revisions. As much as I tweak [crap]? Zoiks.

Bedrich Pasek VIII | Website

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Ty Johnston
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:47 AM »
Olivetti and Smith Corona were my friends long before Macintosh, so yeah, I could write without a computer. And pencils came in handy, too.  :)

Ty Johnston | blog

Offline Adrian Howell

• Japan
  • What doesn't kill you... doesn't kill you.
    • View Profile
    • adrianhowell.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:42 AM »
The short answer would be no.

But if I had no choice, perhaps I would learn to use a pencil and paper. The inability to easily edit could be a blessing in disguise. Manuscripts can lose thier power when over-edited. Often a rough draft has a more sincere tone.
The Psionic Pentalogy consists of five novels that follow the life of a telekinetic teenager through a dark world of warring paranormal factions, vicious religious cults and secret government organizations.

Available in digital and paperback editions.
Psionic Pentalogy - YA / Paranormal / Urban Fantasy

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
I probably could, but it would no longer be fun for me I think. I use a very basic handheld psion computer to write on to keep distraction away, but of course it doesn't work when my tablet is right by my side ready to be googled upon for research sigh.

I never would have started writing in a serious way without that psion. I just picked it up and began, and before I knew it I was jotting things down on it every spare minute. Would I have done that in a diary or notebook? I doubt it very much. Now? Well this is my career and I think I would DO ANYTHING to keep writing, but the joy would leach away with the edits and hassles of writing long hand I feel.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:25 AM »
When Gordon Dickson got his first wordprocessor, he said it was like getting 7-league boots.

Yeah, I *could* write without a computer,but it's so much easier with one.

www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1
covers by Todd C. Hamilton

Offline KL_Phelps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:16:36 AM »
wrote my first stories on a typewriter when I was a kid. Saved my money and bought a word processor in high school, an magnavox video writer. d*mn I loved that thing!

My hand writing is horrid, so while I suppose it is possible that I could write by hand, no one  would, including myself, would ever be able to read it
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:23:45 AM by KL_Phelps »

Offline lynnfromthesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:35 AM »
Writing by hand is incredibly painful for me, and has been since I was a child. In college, I was diagnosed with a type of arthritis that resides in the hands. I used to dictate stories to friends to write down, but I avoided writing by hand in every way possible. When computers became accessible and the internet was available, I discovered a whole new freedom when it came to expressing myself, because I wasn't limited by handwriting anymore.

I know Kevin J. Anderson dictates many of his stories and a typist types them, so that would be a possibility, but I don't think I'd be a writer if I couldn't use a computer.

Offline Redbloon

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »
Yes.

I wrote my first book by hand on a big pad and actually got more done than I do now with the constant siren call of the internet (yes, I know I can turn it off but that just doesn't happen)

On the other hand I love the clean copy that the computer gives me as opposed to the constant crossings out and arrows etc that litter my hand written stuff. Also I don't have to type it in before publication if it's all done straight to the screen.

Offline Kay Correll

• View Profile
    • Kay Correll Author
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »
I could, but I wouldn't like it... ;D  I don't even journal by hand any more. I do it on the computer. I get a much more free flow of my words that way.

Comfort Crossing ~ the series ~ romance in a small southern town
Kay Correll | Website | Blog | FB | Twitter

Offline StraightNoChaser

• The woods
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »
I don't think so. I used to when I was little, but I've been working with computers all of my adult life, so long projects with a pen and paper seem foreign to me now. It's like my creativity is short circuited somehow, I can't even outline by hand. Now, if I lived in a world without computers, I suppose it wouldn't be like that, but then we also wouldn't have the ability to self publish, so why even bother?  :P

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 06:41:36 AM »
Words come easier to me with a pencil in hand. Somehow it makes it easier to shut off my internal editor and just write. So my system is to scribble a few messy pages in a notebook, then type it up, rearranging the words and sentences as I go. The typed version is like a second draft. Around 20 % gets changed as I'm typing. My hand cramps when I write for more than an hour or two, which is why I only do a few pages at a time.

For awhile I thought I could save time by cutting out the middle man and going straight to the keyboard. No pencil and notebook. But I found it took me longer to get my thoughts together while staring at that blank screen. And what I wrote still needed to be redrafted, so I wasn't really saving time at all. I gave up and allowed myself to go back to longhand scribbling. I've even ordered myself a handy little book stand for my desk to make the typing process quicker (my stupid notebook kept falling over as I copied). My handwritten stuff is incredibly messy and filled with scribbles and arrows - another reason I have to pause often and type it up while it's fresh in my memory. Otherwise, I won't be able to make out my own handwriting.  ::)  

Offline HStokes

• Brooklyn, NY
  • Don't fear failure, fear losing the will to try.
    • View Profile
    • A Soul In Black and White
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
I could, sure.  But it would sux.

Joliedupre

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 06:52:01 AM »
I could write without a computer ONLY if I had to.  However, my writing process would be slowed considerably.  I'm a fast typist.  So the computer works well for me.  :-*

Offline Istvan Szabo, Ifj.

• View Profile
    • Sapphire Guardian Publishing
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 06:53:08 AM »
Oh, definitely. I wrote my first stories with pen and paper, than later on typewriter. Personally I love the takka-takka-takka-takka-ding atmosphere. This is my two beauties out of the three where I used to write. My Acer 8930 and my 1939 Continental Typewriter. :)

Sapphire Guardian Publishing - Home of Crystal Shade, 7 Post Meridiem and Nightfall series (Website Coming Soon!)
Sapphire Guardian Formatting and Conversion Services - New Website with Extended Services!
My Top Rated Fiverr Services (If clicking on it doesn't work; http://fiverr.com/istvanszaboifj) - Book, EBook, Children's Picture EBook HD Formatting, Book Cover Extension (Over 900 Verified 5-Star Rating, 100% Customer Satisfaction Level).

Offline Kay Bratt

• www.kaybratt.com
    • View Profile
    • www.kaybratt.com
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »
I have a lot of pain in my hands that makes my hand-writing too atrocious to stand, even to my own eyes.
So if I were forced to hand-write my novels, then no.
I could use a typewriter, though I wouldn't want to.

I work better with words on a screen. I usually have three pages side-by-side as I work. I write the words, move them, play with them until the flow is just right. I can just *spot* where something else is needed when it is up in front of me. And it's so easy to pop up a page or two and insert a little something, change a name/word/action. At the bottom of the document, I make notes that pop into my head but will need to be worked in later. The computer makes it really easy on a writer. That's for sure.

Kay Bratt, Capturing the Heart of Humanity | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »
I actually DO write on a pad and paper. I use the internet for research, but the actual first draft is always done on paper.

The reason for this is that my goal with the first draft is to just "get it down." The problem with writing on a computer is that it is too easy stop and edit...and stop and edit...and stop and edit...and stop and edit...

Writing on paper forces me to just keep moving forward. I can't easily just go back and rewrite the same scene again and again.

Once I have it down on paper, it goes in a file for two month. Then I come back to it and type it into a file, at which time I do any needed rewrites. I can't properly edit my work if I am too close to it. The wait give me distance to look at what I wrote objectively and think about what needs to be fixed.

And I still have tons of books that I reference for my actual research. Sometimes it is easier to pick up a book and find info that to go online, because it is too easy to get distracted online.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Kessie Carroll

• View Profile
    • K.M. Carroll's Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
Yeah, I wrote about 25 novels/novellas as a teen, all longhand. But typing them up took so long aggravated my back problems, so now I just write on the computer. I do miss the contemplation time, though. While my hand was scribbling, I had time to really figure out what I wanted to say. I had a massive callus on my third finger from the pencil. :-)
K.M. Carroll | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Olivia (Lady O)

• PBG, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:30 AM »
I used to love fountain pens and paper and I still do ... but like antiques.
I couldn't possibly work without a computer. My significant other wrote his thesis before word processors and he had to retype everything 10 times before getting to the final draft. What a pain and so much time wasted.
Don't you think this is one of the major reasons while today's author are more prolific ... makes you wonder how many more stories Victor Hugo or Jules Vernes would have told us with a wp.

Offline brendajcarlton

• Collegeville, PA. USA
    • View Profile
    • Brenda J. Carlton-Author
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 07:12:56 AM »
Words come easier to me with a pencil in hand. Somehow it makes it easier to shut off my internal editor and just write. So my system is to scribble a few messy pages in a notebook, then type it up, rearranging the words and sentences as I go. The typed version is like a second draft. Around 20 % gets changed as I'm typing. My hand cramps when I write for more than an hour or two, which is why I only do a few pages at a time.

For awhile I thought I could save time by cutting out the middle man and going straight to the keyboard. No pencil and notebook. But I found it took me longer to get my thoughts together while staring at that blank screen. And what I wrote still needed to be redrafted, so I wasn't really saving time at all. I gave up and allowed myself to go back to longhand scribbling. I've even ordered myself a handy little book stand for my desk to make the typing process quicker (my stupid notebook kept falling over as I copied). My handwritten stuff is incredibly messy and filled with scribbles and arrows - another reason I have to pause often and type it up while it's fresh in my memory. Otherwise, I won't be able to make out my own handwriting.  Roll Eyes   

Yes, this is me exactly.  There is something about paper and a pencil in hand that makes me feel more imaginative than staring at a blank screen.
Quirky tongue in cheek Sci Fi.  With Leprechauns
Josh Greenwood and his Mom and Dad are walking their neighbors to the corner when a freak accident kills one of them.  But which one?  Read all three variations.The first novel of
the parallel trilogy
FREE!!
Drug Company Mystery

Offline ecg52

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 07:21:05 AM »
On a typewriter, yes. Pen and paper, no. My poor arthritic fingers would scream in protest after a short time.
I do jot down notes when I think of something, but more and more I just turn on the voice recorder on my iphone and talk.
I would go mad without my computer. For more reasons than just writing.

Offline Clark Magnan

• Quincy, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 07:26:43 AM »
For the same reasons Julie mentioned, my first draft is always handwritten. That includes my 140,000 word WIP. So many notepads...

Offline Nanny Ogg

• Killing threads since 2012.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
Last year for a couple of months we were without a computer so I got some writing pads and a couple of pens and wrote that way. In total, I must have written over 30k (between three different stories). Now with a computer, I'm writing way less than that in the same amount of time.

Offline m.a. petterson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »
I did it before, and I could do it again. I wrote by hand, I wrote on a typewriter, both manual and electric. I once wrote a novel directly on a typesetting system.

I started writing screenplays on a typewriter, and when word processing came in, the number of people who thought they could do it exploded. Then screenwriting programs came along and everybody thinks they can do it. I'm sure the same could be said about novels. For those who can actually write, computers make it easier. Unfortunately, the same can be said about those who can't. While we might lose a few great books, or authors, if everyone had to do it the old fashioned way, it would eliminate a lot of the chaff.

Exactly!

m.a. petterson | website

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »
I got my first word processor in 1982 when I was 16. The answer is a very big no.

My hands cramp within minutes of printing and I can't even write cursive anymore. I can remember the lower case letters, but I tried to write something cursive a few years ago and realized I no longer even remembered how to properly form the capitals.

Offline jackz4000

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
I first began using a typewriter when I was about 8, so I could go back to it, but why ever would I want to. Changing anything would be a constant chore and re-writes or scene moving...ugh. Please pass the White-Out.

My cursive looks like the enigma code and I never use it. My printing best resembles early Sumerian and though I use it for shopping lists you can find me in the supermarket staring at a little piece of paper trying to figure out what I wrote the day before.

I'd be toast without a computer.

Some authors find it soothing to write by hand on paper. I'd be crying.

Offline Annette_g

• View Profile
    • Annette Gisby Author Page
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »
I do most of my writing long hand in notebooks before getting to the computer. There is something so off-putting about a blank computer screen for me, not so much a blank page. My first ever 'published' writing was done on an old-fashioned manual typewriter, where the S key was stuck in subscript the whole time, but the newspaper I was sending articles to accepted them despite that  ;D Of course, the subscript S didn't appear in the newspaper though :)

Annette Gisby | website

Offline Sam Rivers

• Wide and Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
My first computer was a Commodore; it had to be hooked up to the TV for the monitor and didn't have a hard drive.  Programs had to be loaded from a floppy disk.

It had a word processor that was build into the Rom so I could do limited word procesing on it.  It had to be saved on a floppy disk.

Printing was incrediable slow and was expensive, expecially for colors.

This was before the Internet; some people had sites you could dial into and download things or chat with other people.  Of course, modems had to be bought extra.

I remember this one site that the guy had.  He bragged that he had a 10 mg hard drive that you could download things from.  It was only available for a few hours each day. 

My son and I downloaded a nude picture that took about half a hour.  In those days, you couldn't see the picture ahead of time so you got what you got.

Now things are much different; I have newer desktop computers running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 7.  We have high speed Internet and download whatever we want. 

It is hard to realize how much compters have changed.  Now I mainly use my computer to write on.  My wife uses hers to e-mail her friends and to play games. 

We use the laptop as a backup computer and to reconcile the checkbook.  It is amazing how much we depend on our computers when once we didn't even have a computer.

Now my son does his job over a computer from home since he is a computer tech.

I write up my novels on my computer and send them to Amazon and D2D for publishing. 

My computers were bought with money that I earned writing.  So life has gotten better with computers.

Offline ebbrown

• South Jersey
  • Easily Amused
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page E.B. Brown
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 09:39:21 AM »
Yes. I used to write in composition notebooks with fine point pens. I still have them tucked away in the basement. Thanks for mentioning this topic, now I wanna go on a visit down below.  ;)

FACEBOOK | WEBSITE | TWITTER | AMAZON | NEWSLETTER | BLOG
RR BOOKS WEBSITE | RR BOOKS AUTHOR SIGN UP
MML (Mega Mailing List Promo): all genres, any price 
FFP (Facebook Freebie Promo): all genres, free books

APRIL 5 MML - closes 3/25 | APRIL 19 FFP - closes 4/17

Offline LBrent

• NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
I could, sure.  But it would sux.

This.

I wrote in speckled composition notebooks from childhood until my 20s. Then I typed on a Smith Corona until I discovered the Internet in 1995.

I find writing on the computer so much easier.

Offline MT Berlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
I used a notebook per story for the longest time, then a friend borrowed me a typewriter, which was a manual.  I was eventually able to get an electric typewriter of my own and for years wrote on that, maybe going through three typewriters...the last being a very nice one with a correction ribbon, but an error had to be realized within one or two sentences or out of luck.  I spent a lot of time retyping entire manuscripts.  My first computer was an IBM PS1, not internet capable, so while I was able to enjoy all the editing and print-out benefits, I still ended up retyping entire manuscripts onto the Dell once I owned one. 

It's been a long journey, but all I learned about the craft during those times has been invaluable.  All the references were in books and The Writer for years and years. I still use a paper notebook for the first several chapters until the story really begins to formulate, and then turn to Google Docs where I store everything in case of a computer malfunction. So, I do still compose by hand to a great extent.  So, yes, I would still write without a computer. 

Offline vrabinec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
Bored in the doctor's waiting room. This was the last thread I was reading before I made the drive to get here, so a flash fic thing popped in my head on the way over.

Big Mike and Tara trotted on either side of the footprints that led along the Ash Plateau. They'd set out at dawn as soon as they realized Mickey was missing. Beads of sweat mingled with the ash and ran down their zebraed skin like black tears. It blackened their necklines and cuffs, clinging in black Rorschach splotches on their chests. Flasks, knives, flint boxes, bows and quivers clattered with their gait.

Big Mike's sickle worked it's way lose. Mike twisted and secured it onto his backpack as he ran, losing ground to Tara. He spit and picked up his pace to catch up to her, his face just as worry-twisted as hers. The ash tasted nearly as bitter as his soul.

I shouldn't have chastised him for snapping the bow," he said, swerving to avoid one of the thousands of charred tree stumps that dotted the plateau like stubble on a giant cheek.

Tara didn't reply.

In the distance stood some trees that hadn't been quite as decimated in the wars.

"No!" Tara opened up into a full sprint.

Here eyes were better than Mike's, but soon he saw what she did. A figure, sprawled on the ground beside a black trunk of a tree that stood ten feet tall and had a wire swinging from the stub of a thick branch.

Even before he got to the body, Big Mike knew it was his boy. The size was right. The clothes in the bundle under the tree bore the beads Mikey liked to decorate his shirts with.

Tara fell to her knees, hair clasped in her hands, wailing.

No doubt it was the work of the creeper. The body had been perfectly, skinned. Beneath the dangling wire, the imprint of a tub that had collected the blood announced it clearly. Mikey had fallen to the same creature that had taken the Miller girls, Old man Dewey, Squirrel Chop George, and Helico Joe.

Flies swarmed around the body, it's meat already sticky and shiny, curing in the blazing sun.

Big Mike tried to hug his mate, but she shoved him away.

"This is all your fault!" She pointed in his face. "Your fault! Why did you yell at him?" She punched and kicked Big Mike until she could no longer stand, then dropped on her exhausted haunches.

Mike untied the shovel from his backpack and buried the body.

Before they left, he fingered the wire noose. Rubber padding protected the noose. The killer didn't want the wire cutting the skin, no doubt. And whoever it was, he was expert at hiding his tracks, because there was no trail leading out.

They returned to the river and broke the news to their clan.

"It's the Cannibal Clans!" Freaky Pete hollered, wild-eyed. "We need to form a posse and hunt them down."

"If it was the Cannibal Clans, why didn't they take the muscle?" Big Mike replied.

Wild River looked up toward Ash Plateau, tapping his finger on his lips. "What would someone want with the skin and blood?"

Weeks later, Tara's mood hadn't lifted. Post war life had hurled on too many heartaches her way. She wouldn't talk. Wouldn't eat. Big Mike was starting to worry she'd hurt herself.

"Come on, Tara," he said. "Let's go to White Rock Mound. Fat Freddie the Bard is reading a tale today."

She glanced at him with dead eyes. "You go."

"You can't stay like this. We have to move on."

"You go."

Mike didn't really feel like it either, but he had to get the other children out of the funk. So, he gathered them up and they joined the other clans at White Rock, leaving Tara behind.

By the time they got there, Fat Freddie was already seated atop the Runway rock. He must've been doing quite well for himself, because his chin was always greasy, and his belly hung on the wrong side of his belt like a seed sack.

The mood of the other clans reflected Mike's. Many had lost kin to the creeper, but the parents seemed hopeful the Bard's tale would cheer the children.

Fat Freddie sat cross-legged like Buddha and opened the book, theatrically. "Today's tale is called the Battle of the Blue Rains."

That brought smiles to some of the faces. Mike was happy to see Wild River looking on so intently.

"The Blue Rains came after the wars," a voice said.

Big Mike spun. It was Tara, striding slowly toward Fat Freddie. Then it dawned on Mike what she was saying.

He stood up and strode toward the Bard. "Where did you get the paper and ink, fatso?"

"I..." Fat Freddie dry-swallowed. "I had some."

Confusion marked the faces of the other clans, but nobody was about to interrupt Big Mike or Tara.

"Let me see it," Tara said, holding out her hand.

Mike swung around the back of the rock, and sure enough, Fat Freddie jumped down that way, looking a lot like a man who wanted to run for it. Mike grabbed his shoulder and wrenched the book out of his hands. The page was tough but supple. The clans surrounded Fat Freddie, glaring.

They tied his arms to a rod and marched him back to his cave. From all appearances, it was a fine hole in the hill. Treasures all around. An oak barrel for catching rain. Bars of soap. Even a bottle of whiskey. But as soon as Big Mike stepped inside, he knew something was wrong. The stench nearly dropped him to his knees. A living are with a couple steel chairs and even an orange rug didn't appear to have anything that would stink. No, it was coming from a side nook. There, stretched tight on a wire rack, was a skin. And it didn't look like an animal skin. A paper cutter sat on a splintery picnic table next to jars and piles of ash. Some of the jars had black liquid inside, but others had red liquid. He was adding ash to the blood to make ink.

Big Mike grabbed Fat Freddie by the jowls and slammed him against a wall.

"How else was I supposed to write down my stories?" Freddie said, his eyes pleading, as if he actually expected a response. "There are no more computers! And a writer has to write!"

Big Mike plunged his knife deep into Fat Freddie's heart and stood over him until the body stopped twitching.

The other clans came in and split up the furniture then went their separate ways. But Wild River stopped on the way back. "I'm going to go back and bury the skins and blood."

"Good idea," Tara said.

Wild River ran back and picked up the skins. No, he couldn't bury them. He had stories of his own to tell. Better stories than Fat Freddie ever could, stories with boos and sex. He'd find subjects to make his paper from outside the near clans, and he too would get rich telling stories, just like Freddie.  

Oop, my turn to go see the doctor. (That went a lot longer than I thought it would.)

Offline Bluebonnet

• Atlanta, GA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Sure. I spent most of my life writing by hand. I have several old manuscripts written entirely by hand. I trained myself to write cursive clearly when I was in college and had to take notes fast in class.

I always hated typing back in the day of the typewriter, and still dislike it, but I use the keyboard now because it's so easy to make revisions and corrections. However, I can always achieve smoother, better writing if I rough it out in a handwritten form first. I guess it depends on how you trained yourself to work when you were young.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:59:33 AM by Bluebonnet »

Offline Paul Wornham

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Paul Wornham
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
I'd be lost without a computer. I've used keyboards for so long that my handwriting has deteriorated completely.
I still make lots of notes by hand, but my problem then is reading what they say later  ::)

Paul Wornham | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline Sam Rivers

• Wide and Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »
Bored in the doctor's waiting room. This was the last thread I was reading before I made the drive to get here, so a flash fic thing popped in my head on the way over.

You are so lucky since you don't get shoved right in to see the doctor and can take some time to write.  I never get a moment to even read my kindle since they push me right in.  My allergy doctor is as cute as a spotted pup, but she is as mean as a junkyard dog since she is alway telling me to do things I don't want to do. 

Then she sneaks out into the waiting room and asks my wife questions to see how they compare to my answers.  She knows I am a writer and thinks I use literary license on some of my reponses.

In the old days there were a lot of patients but there aren't many for any of my doctors.  So I always get in quickly.  I might take my laptop with me if I had plenty of time but this immediate response time is rediculous.  Some people have all the luck.  ::)

Offline vrabinec

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »
You are so lucky since you don't get shoved right in to see the doctor and can take some time to write.  I never get a moment to even read my kindle since they push me right in.  My allergy doctor is as cute as a spotted pup, but she is as mean as a junkyard dog since she is alway telling me to do things I don't want to do. 

Then she sneaks out into the waiting room and asks my wife questions to see how they compare to my answers.  She knows I am a writer and thinks I use literary license on some of my reponses.

In the old days there were a lot of patients but there aren't many for any of my doctors.  So I always get in quickly.  I might take my laptop with me if I had plenty of time but this immediate response time is rediculous.  Some people have all the luck.  ::)

I dunno. I was getting pretty irritated, waiting there.  My leggs were getting numb on their chairs. I should've brought my laptop so I could get some real writing done. My doctor was stressed, too, man. Gave the girl who was scheduling his appointments crap for overloading him. (Though, that exchange felt kinda awkward, like they might have rehearsed it. Who knows?)

Offline Sam Rivers

• Wide and Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
I dunno. I was getting pretty irritated, waiting there.  My leggs were getting numb on their chairs. I should've brought my laptop so I could get some real writing done.

Something unusual has happened here in Pueblo, Colorado.  The hospitals are hiring doctors like crazy since doctors have gotten tired of running their own offices.  Most of my doctors work for Parkview Hospital which is nice since all of my doctors are connected by the same data base.

Another thing that is unusual is that the hospitals are using interns for doctors.  My primary care doctor is an intern and he goes over everything and writes it up.  Then an experienced doctor comes in and reviews the intern's work.  So I actually get two doctors looking at me.

The office is not crowded since they have a lot of new doctors.  They think that a lot of these interns will stay on after they finish their two years.

It used to be that the wait on doctors took a long time and I could have written some neat stories but no more. 

Offline TimWLong

• Seattle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
I can't seem to go more than a few hours without jumping on a computer.

A friend of mine writes all of his books, by hand, in his car, while chain smoking. He later types out the books on his PC.

Professional Horror Hack
Timothy W. Long | blog | website | facebook

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
I wrote my first book on a portable electric typewriter (didn't have a PC of my own at the time). I think I did one more draft that way and then scraped up the $$ for a PC of my own. I do remember that getting the whole thing into the PC was a major chore and something I vowed never to do again.

That said, I was an avid fan of Albert Payson Terhune in my teens and remember reading an autobiography where he said he wrote by hand until writer's cramp was so bad he couldn't hold a pen or pencil. At first he tied a pencil between his fingers and kept going, then he learned to type. When typing became too painful, he learned to dictate. It stuck in my mind all these years as an example of the lengths people will go to when they're determined to do something.

Offline MT Berlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
@Vrabinec

Quote: Mikey had fallen to the same creature that had taken the Miller girls, Old man Dewey, Squirrel Chop George, and Helico Joe.

Great dark humor.

8)

Offline Key

• View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »
I was just reading Lawrence Block yesterday about rewriting, and remembering how difficult it is when you have to type everything over again!  I have done it.  I'm sure I could do it.  But I am so glad we don't have to anymore.  :)

Offline R. K. Clark

• Louisville, KY
  • Burdened with Glorious Purpose
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
I could write as long as I had pencil and paper -- good luck in reading any of it.  I used to buy spiral notebooks and write stories in them turned around because I am a wicked, wicked southpaw.  I still buy little notebooks to write down notes.  My printing is neat, and my cursive can be read by some people.  I print my notes because I have a deal with a friend of mine that she gets my notes when I die (this water tastes funny...).

Ever since I got my first typewriter, I haven't really hand written rough drafts.  When I got my first PC back in the mid 90's, I have not looked back.  I don't think I could be as productive as I am now... well, relatively speaking when it comes to productive.
"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." -- Stephen King

Offline MatthewAlanThyer

• Vashon, WA
  • Sports in Space
    • View Profile
    • FeetForBrains
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
Yes, but if reduced to pen and paper it would really suck. I've written the better part of my first novel on an iPad (which technically is a computer), but in many ways even this is slower than sitting down with my laptop.

Matthew Alan Thyer | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | GoodReads | G+

Offline Carol Davis

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Carol Davis Author
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
I've been through pen and paper, manual typewriter, electric typewriter, word processor, computer...

Being able to write (and revise) on the computer is an incredible gift.  It's invaluable for putting together a polished finished product.  But if for some reason I had no more access to a computer -- of course I'd still write.  If the stories were still in my head, I'd go back to pen and paper if I had to.  I think if being a writer is what you are, you always find a way.

Carol Davis | blog | facebook | twitter | newsletter

Offline Kristine McKinley

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • K. McKinley Website
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
My first response was no but after reading what some of you have written I think maybe I could. I got a Pilot Plumix fountain pen for Christmas and didn't have my laptop with me so I used it to write up an idea and I loved it. After my pregnancy though my wrists hurt and I'm not sure how long I would be able to write at one time.

Offline chrissponias

• Athens - Greece
    • View Profile
    • Scientific Dream Interpretation
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Computers make it so easy to write.  It is easy to make changes and move things around.  We can check spelling and reseach on the Internet.  It makes writing a story much easier.

Some of my first short stories were written by hand and were a real struggle.  My hand kept getting tired.  I was talking to my wife about that the other day and she agreed that using a computer is so much easier than using a pen. 

I am not sure that I would continue writing if I had to use a pen or pencil instead of a computer.  I am not talking about jotting down some notes but full time writing.

Franklin Eddy

You probably are too young. I have already written millions of pages by hand, before the computers' existence.

Of course, today I hate handwriting, but in the past it was not a problem.

Goodness is medicine.
Christina Sponias | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+

Offline Rykymus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »
Of course I could. The question is, would I?

Offline epulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »
Reckon. Actually prefer legal pads or comp books for my first draft. I don't even put anything on the computer until second draft.

I composed my first published works on a 1930's-vintage Underwood noisemaker. Got it in college for about $20 and loved it. Kept it for another 10 years, and I think it got lost in a move. That was the ultimate writing machine.

Offline Josh_Stallings

• Los Angeles, California, USA
    • View Profile
    • Josh Stalling
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »
I started writing on a Olivetti manual typewriter, I loved the tactile feeling.  I wrote much of the first draft of my memoir in a comp book. Buuuut, as a very dyslexic person, I love and adore spell checker.  So although I could write without a computer, it might drive both me and my editor insane.
"The man knows what to do with paper and ink." -CHARLEY HUSTON (Author, Hank Thompson Trilogy)   "Josh Stallings writes like a man possessed. He's a live wire, a raw nerve -- the rare writer capable of finding beauty in pain and pain in beauty." - CHRIS F. HOLM (Author, The Collector Trilogy)   "Josh has done an incredible job with the hand life dealt him.  I admire the hell outa that.  All the Wild Children is simply Stunning." -  KEN BRUEN
Josh Stallings | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | youtube

Offline Blue Kincaid

• College Park, MD
    • View Profile
    • BlueKincaid.com
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
I'd find a way to write no matter what. I started out in notepads as a kid in school when I should have been taking notes, I graduated to an electric typewriter when I was 19 and wrote my first novel on it. I could go back if there was no choice. Would I like it? Of course not, but writing is too integral to my life and sanity to ever stop.

Offline Lia Cooper

• Olympia, WA
    • View Profile
    • Lia Cooper -- Speculative Romantic
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »
I still do a lot of outlining and even first drafts by hand in a composition book but when it comes to making up a complete document/full draft I would not ever want to do that without a computer (or Scrivener for that matter).

Lia Cooper | Blog | Twitter

Offline Sam Rivers

• Wide and Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
I constantly use the Internet when I am writing to do research or look up new words.  For us that grew up in an age before computers, it is like magic.

I was talking to my doctor about that the other day and he said computers have made his life a lot easier too.

This week has been cold and snowy so I spent most of my time writing on my novels and short stories.  It was too cold to go outside so it was wonderful that I could do something with my computer.  I haven't been able to go to the YMCA since Monday because of the snow and the low temperatures.

Yesterday it didn't get above zero and today wasn't much better.  Last night it got down to 18 below.  That is very unusual for southern Colorado, but the next few days are supposed to get warmer unless that weather guy is lying again.  ::)

Offline Nic

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
My first stories were written on a typewriter. So yes.

Offline death wizard

• Upstate South Carolina
  • Jim Melvin
    • View Profile
    • Jim Melvin - Novelist
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »
I'm computer all the way. No way I could write by hand. My hand and wrist would give out before I finished the first page.
I am the author of The Death Wizard Chronicles, a six-book epic fantasy that is big on monsters, swords and sorcery but also steeped in Eastern philosophy with a lot going on between the lines. Books 1-4 are currently available. Books 5-6 are coming this year. I am a big fan of fantasy, especially Tolkien, Martin, Donaldson and Erikson -- and am always on the lookout for more reading pleasure.
Jim Melvin | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline JaroldWilliams

• Elizabethtown KY
    • View Profile
    • J S Williams
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
In college we had to do all of our papers on a typewriter. Yes, I can write without a computer...but I sure would NOT want to do it.

vhfolland

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »
I write all my notes and drafts longhand, so yes, but typing it all up - even with an electric typewriter - would be beyond me.

Offline heidi_g

• Washington State
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:57 AM »
No, I very purposefully trained myself to write on the computer over 20 years ago :)  I hold no romantic notions about manual writing.  However, I do jot notes. I have a stack of square papers by my side whenever I sit down to write.  If all the computers died tomorrow, I might have to turn to podcasts or audiobooks! I think I'd do that before I'd return to writing by hand again.

Besides, it's really frustrating when I go back to review those hand written notes and can only read the first three words!

Fearless Journeys & Epic Transformations
Heidi Garett | blog | pinterest | newsletter

Offline Sam Rivers

• Wide and Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:54 AM »
One thing that I noticed is the books of my favorite authors got larger when computers came out.   

One in particular is Philip Jos Farmer.  His earlier science fiction novels were average length but then he wrote River World. The five novels in the series are as follows:

To Your Scattered Bodies Go (1971)
        Hugo Award winner, Locus Award nominee, 1972[1]
    The Fabulous Riverboat (1971)
    The Dark Design (1977)
    The Magic Labyrinth (1980)
    Gods of Riverworld (1983; later published as The Gods of Riverworld)

Even the earlier computers allowed a writer to produce many more books.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2014, 04:58:23 AM »
I started writing on a Olivetti manual typewriter, I loved the tactile feeling.

If you like that feeling, look up things about mechanical keyboards with cherry mx blue and cherry mx brown switches. They're old style keyboards that give you both tactile and click feedback. They usually are believed to help people type a bit faster and I found they solved a muscle fatigue problem I was having in my fingers.

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:14 AM »
I write all my first drafts longhand. It's a mixture of the lack of distractions and the ease of working without a backlit screen that I like. I also look forward to doing a typed-up draft before I send anything to beta readers. I think if someone developed an e-ink screen the size of my computer monitor I'd save a lot of paper, but I'm not sure I'd want to change my process; aside from all of the piles of paper I'm juggling, it's relaxing.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:37 AM »
I started out writing on a manual typewriter,  so sure. But it would SUCK to make revisions. As much as I tweak [crap]? Zoiks.

So did I  :D.

And cut and paste literally meant cutting the paragraphs with scissors and re-arranging them on the table until you were happy you had them in the right order before re-typing. And we thought we were lucky we didn't have to use a quill and ink  8)

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website