Author Topic: Could you write without a computer?  (Read 2688 times)  

Offline Blue Kincaid

• College Park, MD
    • View Profile
    • BlueKincaid.com
Re: Could you write without a computer?
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
I'd find a way to write no matter what. I started out in notepads as a kid in school when I should have been taking notes, I graduated to an electric typewriter when I was 19 and wrote my first novel on it. I could go back if there was no choice. Would I like it? Of course not, but writing is too integral to my life and sanity to ever stop.

Offline Lia Cooper

• Olympia, WA
    • View Profile
    • Lia Cooper -- Speculative Romantic
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »
I still do a lot of outlining and even first drafts by hand in a composition book but when it comes to making up a complete document/full draft I would not ever want to do that without a computer (or Scrivener for that matter).

Lia Cooper | Blog | Twitter

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
I constantly use the Internet when I am writing to do research or look up new words.  For us that grew up in an age before computers, it is like magic.

I was talking to my doctor about that the other day and he said computers have made his life a lot easier too.

This week has been cold and snowy so I spent most of my time writing on my novels and short stories.  It was too cold to go outside so it was wonderful that I could do something with my computer.  I haven't been able to go to the YMCA since Monday because of the snow and the low temperatures.

Yesterday it didn't get above zero and today wasn't much better.  Last night it got down to 18 below.  That is very unusual for southern Colorado, but the next few days are supposed to get warmer unless that weather guy is lying again.  ::)
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Nic

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
My first stories were written on a typewriter. So yes.

Offline death wizard

• Upstate South Carolina
  • Jim Melvin
    • View Profile
    • Jim Melvin - Novelist
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »
I'm computer all the way. No way I could write by hand. My hand and wrist would give out before I finished the first page.
I am the author of The Death Wizard Chronicles, a six-book epic fantasy that is big on monsters, swords and sorcery but also steeped in Eastern philosophy with a lot going on between the lines. Books 1-4 are currently available. Books 5-6 are coming this year. I am a big fan of fantasy, especially Tolkien, Martin, Donaldson and Erikson -- and am always on the lookout for more reading pleasure.
Jim Melvin | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline JaroldWilliams

• Elizabethtown KY
    • View Profile
    • J S Williams
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
In college we had to do all of our papers on a typewriter. Yes, I can write without a computer...but I sure would NOT want to do it.

vhfolland

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »
I write all my notes and drafts longhand, so yes, but typing it all up - even with an electric typewriter - would be beyond me.

Offline heidi_g

• Washington State
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:57 AM »
No, I very purposefully trained myself to write on the computer over 20 years ago :)  I hold no romantic notions about manual writing.  However, I do jot notes. I have a stack of square papers by my side whenever I sit down to write.  If all the computers died tomorrow, I might have to turn to podcasts or audiobooks! I think I'd do that before I'd return to writing by hand again.

Besides, it's really frustrating when I go back to review those hand written notes and can only read the first three words!

Fearless Journeys & Epic Transformations
Heidi Garett | blog | pinterest | newsletter

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:54 AM »
One thing that I noticed is the books of my favorite authors got larger when computers came out.   

One in particular is Philip Jos Farmer.  His earlier science fiction novels were average length but then he wrote River World. The five novels in the series are as follows:

To Your Scattered Bodies Go (1971)
        Hugo Award winner, Locus Award nominee, 1972[1]
    The Fabulous Riverboat (1971)
    The Dark Design (1977)
    The Magic Labyrinth (1980)
    Gods of Riverworld (1983; later published as The Gods of Riverworld)

Even the earlier computers allowed a writer to produce many more books.
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2014, 04:58:23 AM »
I started writing on a Olivetti manual typewriter, I loved the tactile feeling.

If you like that feeling, look up things about mechanical keyboards with cherry mx blue and cherry mx brown switches. They're old style keyboards that give you both tactile and click feedback. They usually are believed to help people type a bit faster and I found they solved a muscle fatigue problem I was having in my fingers.

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:14 AM »
I write all my first drafts longhand. It's a mixture of the lack of distractions and the ease of working without a backlit screen that I like. I also look forward to doing a typed-up draft before I send anything to beta readers. I think if someone developed an e-ink screen the size of my computer monitor I'd save a lot of paper, but I'm not sure I'd want to change my process; aside from all of the piles of paper I'm juggling, it's relaxing.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:37 AM »
I started out writing on a manual typewriter,  so sure. But it would SUCK to make revisions. As much as I tweak [crap]? Zoiks.

So did I  :D.

And cut and paste literally meant cutting the paragraphs with scissors and re-arranging them on the table until you were happy you had them in the right order before re-typing. And we thought we were lucky we didn't have to use a quill and ink  8)

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website