Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors

Author Topic: Outlander - Starz - Season 3 September 10th  (Read 64178 times)  

Offline cork_dork_mom

• I read therefore I am
    • View Profile
Re: Outlander - Starz - August 9th
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
It's just like the story... it's one thing to KNOW about Jamie being flogged but much worse to SEE it. Did everyone catch Brian Fraser at the flogging? He was standing behind Dougal. I don't think I can watch this episode again... well, I can after Dougal gets Claire away from the English and tells her about her upcoming wedding  :-*

Tobias was deliciously sadistic. The pleasure he got out of the flogging and then the retelling of it. He was almost orgasmic over it. Wentworth is going to be horrible no matter how they do it. I feel sorry for those that haven't read the book.... they have NO idea what's in store for them.

I'm really liking the series. It's like reading the book again for the first time.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »
It was a great (though hard to watch) episode... just want to caution that this thread is about the show so please refrain from mentioning possible spoilers from the book (as in, I can't wait till they show such in such...) or at least use the spoiler tags... not everyone may have read the book(s)!

As a big fan of Game of Thrones, who did not read all the books, this is always an issue... and makes reading some threads a virtual spoiler mind field... taking a lot of the fun out of participating in these sort of threads.

I only read the first of this series and it was long enough ago that I don't remember it all that well and am enjoying the show as an almost a new experience. I know the books have a very strong following here and that is great... but I am sure the show will also attract many who never read them.

That's all, carry on!  :D
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
I have a friend who passed something spoilery onto her 20 something daughter who's enjoying watching the show and has just begun to read Outlander... the daughter didn't talk to her for a week. Yikes!

Wonder if we'll be seeing more of Brian Fraser? Having the actor recognized in the credits implies to me we will.

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
couldn't watch or listen to the flogging part. Don't think I'll rewatch this episode. (And I've rewatched all the others like 3 or 4 times.)  Claire on the floor. :(  It took a while to recover from that episode. And yes, like so many others have said, reading it is one thing. Seeing the few glimpses I saw (before closing my eyes and getting the volume down) was another. That shot of his bloodied back at the end?  How did he survive that?

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
I haven't seen it yet. I had to stay at DD's house to wait for appliance deliveries and I was going to watch it then. Unfortunately, GD was home sick and even though she said I could shut the door so she couldn't hear, I didn't feel right about i.

Hopefully tomorrow.

That shot of his bloodied back at the end?  How did he survive that?

When I used to read all those books about the old British Navy and men being given a hundred lashes, I wondered the same thing.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2014, 07:07:25 AM »
IF you've read the book, this is a great post - but beware there are definitely spoilers:
Outlander: Marriage of Convenience and other things...
http://timeslipsblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/outlander-marriage-of-convenience-and-other-things/

(I couldn't figure out how to put the url into the text)
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
Finally got to watch The Garrison Commander this afternoon. Just got home so I could post here.

I watched the flogging, more with fascination, I think, than horror. It was a contest between Jamie and Randall. Randall broke. Jamie won. And against the backdrop of Randall playing cat and mouse with Claire, it became much more than a game. It was the binding of these three people into an inevitable and deadly confrontation.

Beautifully done. Beautifully played.

And please don't misunderstand when I say "beautifully done." Seeing a man nearly flogged to death isn't beautiful, but the staging of it, the timing of it, the actors ... again, I'm in awe.

But my favorite part was the look on Jamie's face at the end when Claire strode between the men and snatched the bottle out of Dougal's hand. Priceless!!!

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
Yay, getting closer to the wedding date! Came across this short but sweet video on accesshollywood.com...... 'Outlander' Exclusive Wedding Episode Sneak Peek: Jamie & Murtagh's Touching Chat.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Yay, getting closer to the wedding date! Came across this short but sweet video on accesshollywood.com...... 'Outlander' Exclusive Wedding Episode Sneak Peek: Jamie & Murtagh's Touching Chat.

Aww. Thanks for posting. I'll probably see it on Sunday. Can't wait. "There's the two of us now." <sniff>

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »
I really wish the wedding night would cover several episodes.  Sigh................

Offline jcthatsme

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
I started re-reading the whole series too, since the show started. Between watching and reading I think I'm starting to think in a Scottish accent, ye ken?

:)

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »
I started re-reading the whole series too, since the show started. Between watching and reading I think I'm starting to think in a Scottish accent, ye ken?

:)

Dinna fash yerself

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
Found a nice blog post ******** Read ONLY IF you have already read the books ********  (it's riddled with spoilers)
          Reading VS. Watching, A Commentary

Also, I've a question for those of you who are currently listening to and love Davina Porter's narration (which I do) and who also think Sam & Catriona are cast spot on (which I do): Has hearing Sam & Catriona detracted from your enjoyment of Davina's narration? I haven't re-listened since beginning to watch the series.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2014, 05:46:19 AM »
Found a nice blog post ******** Read ONLY IF you have already read the books ********  (it's riddled with spoilers)

Also, I've a question for those of you who are currently listening to and love Davina Porter's narration (which I do) and who also think Sam & Catriona are cast spot on (which I do): Has hearing Sam & Catriona detracted from your enjoyment of Davina's narration? I haven't re-listened since beginning to watch the series.

My thoughts exactly. They have enhanced the book, not detracted from it as is done so often in film adaptations. I gave my thoughts upthread about the flogging scene.

To be honest, I was so worried that they would butcher the book and the actors wouldn't live up to my expectations, that I almost didn't watch the series. Boy, am I glad I didn't listen to myself.  :D I usually read the book once a year, but as soon as the DVD's come out (or better yet, Amazon has them on instant video), I'll be watching the show instead.

I'm currently listening to MOBY (and yes, I love Davina's narration), but I'm not making any connection between her narration and Sam and Catriona's portrayal of Jamie and Claire. They are entirely different to me. I think the book, the narration and the show are three different facets of the same entity.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »

Thanks for that link with the comparisons / contrasts. I have to agree Ron and Co have done a marvelous job with this adaptation. I don't expect things to be exactly like the book.

I think the reason why I don't associate Sam & Catriona's performances with the characters is because the characters in MOBY are older. I rather wonder how the actors will 'fit' in the older versions in subsequent seasons. Ah well, will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
I reread the series prior to MOBY and am slowly getting through the audiobooks.  I don't seem to have as much time for them but I find that listening to Davina's narration to be a completely unique experience to either reading or watching.  I suppose it's because while reading, my mental focus may be different on various sections and listening gives me a more even perspective overall.  I love the Starz series and have watched each episode more than once.   :D

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
    • View Profile
    • Harriet Schultz books
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2014, 06:46:51 AM »
I hope Jamie and Claire's wedding night is as realistically shot as last week's episode with BJR's whip. There will be a lot of disappointed viewers if they put off the scene we're waiting for until next week!

Harriet Schultz

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »
Somewhere I read a teaser (spoiler free) from someone who's seen it that fans of the books will love the last 15 minutes of the show.

Sooo... if I watched the last five minutes of last week's show multiple times, how many times will I watch the last 15 minutes?

I'm reading the Lord John books for the first time in random order as I get them from Overdrive. Enjoyed The Scottish Prisoner (loved the Jamie and young Willie bits), Private Matter was ok, but I really couldn't get into the three short stories in The Hand of the Devils. Only Brotherhood of the Blade left to read!

Only 11 hours to go. ;)

ETA: Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying the Starz series? :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:00:54 AM by readingril »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
Somewhere I read a teaser (spoiler free) from someone who's seen it that fans of the books will love the last 15 minutes of the show.

Sooo... if I watched the last five minutes of last week's show multiple times, how many times will I watch the last 15 minutes?

Oh, yes. Claire stalking between the men and grabbing Dougal's bottle and then the look on Jamie's face as the men look back at him is absolutely priceless.

I'm reading the Lord John books for the first time in random order as I get them from Overdrive. Enjoyed The Scottish Prisoner (loved the Jamie and young Willie bits), Private Matter was ok, but I really couldn't get into the three short stories in The Hand of the Devils. Only Brotherhood of the Blade to go!

Only 11 hours to go. ;)
I think, if I remember correctly, Brotherhood of the Blade is where we meet Percival Wainwright.

And I also believe there's a mistake in MOBY. Jamie is talking to John about William. John tells Jamie he hasn't seen William since he was six. Uh-uh. John brought William to see him when he was about 11 (I think) and that's when William fell into the outhouse. Also Jamie says he had the making of William until he was six, but I believe Jamie left Helwater when William was four, five at the oldest. That one I'm not sure of, but I know for sure about John bringing William to see him in North Carolina.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:52:35 AM by Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' »

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2014, 08:03:36 AM »
His expression when he admitted to being a virgin had me chuckling. Hopefully some of the conversation between them in that intimate scene will still be there. It had me cracking up (think farm animals).

I think you're right about the possible mistake in MOBY. Wonder if Diana's addressed that?

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »
His expression when he admitted to being a virgin had me chuckling. Hopefully some of the conversation between them in that intimate scene will still be there. It had me cracking up (think farm animals).

I think you're right about the possible mistake in MOBY. Wonder if Diana's addressed that?

In the previews, Jamie tries to kiss Claire and she's the one who draws back and says, "Can we talk first?" That's why I'm araid they might mess that up. It was a great scene.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2014, 08:16:30 AM »
I think I'll do a reread of the wedding  & wedding night to prepare for the rewatches of tonight's show. :D

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
I think I'll do a reread of the wedding  & wedding night to prepare for the rewatches of tonight's show. :D

Good idea. I won't be able to watch the show until tomorrow or maybe Monday, though. Now I'm sorry I gave all my hardbacks to my daughter. It would be easier to flip through the book than try to find it on the kindle.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
Speaking of falling in love & weddings ... Terry Dresbach's telling of meeting & connecting with Ron is so sweet!
{and I finally learned how to embed the URL in overlying text!  ;D}
Carol in 'burque

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »
Good idea. I won't be able to watch the show until tomorrow or maybe Monday, though. Now I'm sorry I gave all my hardbacks to my daughter. It would be easier to flip through the book than try to find it on the kindle.

~28% or Loc 4344 on my Kindle (that's when Dougal mentions she needs to marry).

Now you have me wanting to find the conversation between Lord John & Jamie about your spoiler above in MOBY! I don't think that'll be as easy to find. BUT, I did find the reference in Drums of Autumn!

Speaking of falling in love & weddings ... Terry Dresbach's telling of meeting & connecting with Ron is so sweet!
{and I finally learned how to embed the URL in overlying text!  ;D}

I'm loving her blog!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:53:34 AM by readingril »