Kindle Forum banner

So, how do you handle a bad review?

7K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  Taking my troll a$$ outta here 
#1 ·
By bad, I mean horrible. Both of my books have a combined 43 reviews, 35 five star, 6 four star and 1 three star. Then out of nowhere I get a 1 star review. No mention of poor character development, poor grammar, poor punctuation, poor spelling, or unbelievable plot and characters. No, he thought it didn't have enough action in the first three chapters he read before returning it.

#3 ·
I think reviews are fair game. I want readers to express their opinions of my books so other readers can decide whether or not they're for them. Of course, I dislike ever hearing that someone did not enjoy reading one of my books. But that comes with the territory. In my case, I've had readers one star my books because they didn't like my character's hair color all the way to the fact that I used testimonials in the opening pages of my sample. As I said, it's all fair game and I'd rather hear from readers, than not. I won't always like what they have to say, but I want to hear from them nonetheless.

#4 ·
You read it, decide if the criticisms are valid.  If they are, you try to consider them next time.  If they are not, you ignore them.

I can't stress strongly enough that you have to detach emotionally from things like this if you want to do this as a career.  I see people say they don't read reviews, but a lot of negative (or middling) reviews have good points about how you can improve your work.  Good reviews are far less valuable (though more fun).

If you let reviews depress you, you're going to have a hard time.  A quick little wave of unhappiness is one thing, but then let it go.

I have a one star review that gushes about the book (an obvious mistake on the star rating), another one star that lists an old book and basically says, "I didn't read this book, but I can't imagine how anyone can write on the topic better that XXX," and still another that is a ten paragraph rant about how she couldn't download the thing.  You can't let this stuff get to you.

#5 ·
I usually kill some one off in my WIP... jk... I usually share it with my husband so I can vent about it then I can let my anger out. I just don't get it. I am so sorry that you had to get something like that. Some people out there try to bring other writers down just because they are intimidated. I have received one star reviews say things like I hate this genre and that's why I hated this book. I am just baffled by people choosing to read a book in a genre they hate or they only read a few chapters like you were talking about and then leave a review stating it was awful and how they could not get through even 2 chapters.  

Good luck with the book and thank you for sharing your experience.

#6 ·
It may help to tell yourself that, in a year, you'll have more perspective, and to forgive yourself for not having it now.

I think I should have "Don't overreact" tattooed across my forehead. Wait, across my thigh, where I could see it while I sat at my computer. But like any other emotionally triggering event, that's a whole lot easier to say than to do. Give yourself a break, let yourself be upset, and know that it'll get easier.

#7 ·
I don't even read the good reviews. Forget about the bad ones. As long as they bought my book, they're free to say whatever they want. It's their right post-purchase. (Which is why I don't plan to make any of my books free until it has at least 200 5-star reviews or something to blunt nonsense reviews like this lol.)

#8 ·
Thanks y'all. Some of what you said really puts things into perspective. So, he thought it boring, because the first few chapters had a lot to do with the setting, boating, and preparing for a hurricane. I'm an avid action/adventure reader and I don't remember ever reading a book that was cover to cover action.

"Progressive agenda wrapped in zombie blanket" - Classic.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Wayne Stinnett said:
Thanks y'all. Some of what you said really puts things into perspective. So, he thought it boring, because the first few chapters had a lot to do with the setting, boating, and preparing for a hurricane. I'm an avid action/adventure reader and I don't remember ever reading a book that was cover to cover action.

"Progressive agenda wrapped in zombie blanket" - Classic.
One of the awesome things about negative reviews (and why I like them) is because the very same reasons your reviewer laid out why they didn't like the book, will be the exact thing that excites the next reader to buy your book. I had a reader one star one of my books because she didn't like that the heroine had a girlfriend and that the makeout scenes were too descriptive for her taste. No sooner than her review went up, so did sales of my book. There's always a silver lining if you look for it.

#12 ·
1) I sulk. For at least half an hour.
2) I find someone who loves me and whine to them about it, but within reason.
3) Chocolate.
4) Watch something adorable, like Tom Hiddleston meeting Cookie Monster, or kittens playing in the snow.
5) Find one piece of my writing that I really, really like and read it and assure myself that I am not a plague upon the writing world.
6) Repeat Steps 1-5 as needed. Then I'm over it.

Bad reviews suck. A lot. But it's the name of the game. There is a universal rule in writing: no matter what it is, someone will love it and someone will hate it. At least it means you're engaging them, if that helps. But hey, you also have a buttload of good reviews and some of us pray for that day, so don't sweat it. We got your back. <3

#13 ·
I laugh.

Life's too short to get upset by it.  Poop happens.  And way more people like my books than hate them, so I'm doing something right.

To be honest, I love a good in-depth, scathing review.  If I made a reader feel ANYTHING strongly, I figure I did my job well.

#14 ·
Kevis 'The Berserker' Hendrickson said:
One of the awesome things about negative reviews (and why I like them) is because the very same reasons your reviewer laid out why they didn't like the book, will be the exact thing that excites the next reader to buy your book. I had a reader one star one of my books because she didn't like that the heroine had a girlfriend and that the makeout scenes were too descriptive for her taste. No sooner than her review went up, so did sales of my book. There's always a silver lining if you look for it.
^^This, exactly^^

See, here's the thing. That reader is not a member of your burgeoning fan club, and he never will be. He was looking for some super-fast action thriller with minimal detail, description, and character development. Judging by all your other 5-star reviews, I would say those latter features are what your book has going for it. So now, one-star-review guy has warned off others like him who don't like such books. Now you will have fewer disappointed readers returning books and leaving bad reviews, and, as Kevis mentioned, more and more folks who are looking for exactly what you do so well. This reader has endorsed you as the go-to guy for cool stories about boating in the Keys with lots of realistic details and in-depth characters. (Come to think of it, my dad would probably love this book.) Yay for one-star-review guy!

:) Maria

#16 ·
I find that red wine and dark chocolate go a long way in soothing my feelings. :)

#17 ·
I think we are hardwired to pay more attention to bad news than to good news. I think it's an inbuilt survival mechanism. Even to the point where we are inclined to give bad reviews more credence than they deserve. Your bad review doesn't appear to have any validity, and you know you shouldn't be grieving over it and giving it more emotional thought than it deserves.

But you do, or you wouldn't have posted here.

A practical way I have of countering this negative tendency is to extract the best key adjectives from the majority of my reviews and post them on the wall next to my right shoulder as I sit typing, to remind me of what the majority of my readers think of my books. Those people are after all the people we should keep in our minds, not the 10%-20% of people we will never please.

Whenever I have a tendency to feel down about my work, I look over at the list and see words and phrases like: Awesome! Innovative! Compelling approach! Really cool idea! Brilliant! Enjoyed the format! Very readable, etc. etc.

I'm sure your many 5-star reviews have similar phrases. Type some of them out and stick them on your wall next to where you sit when writing.

#18 ·
kyokominamino said:
1) I sulk. For at least half an hour.
2) I find someone who loves me and whine to them about it, but within reason.
3) Chocolate.
4) Watch something adorable, like Tom Hiddleston meeting Cookie Monster, or kittens playing in the snow.
5) Find one piece of my writing that I really, really like and read it and assure myself that I am not a plague upon the writing world.
6) Repeat Steps 1-5 as needed. Then I'm over it.

Bad reviews suck. A lot. But it's the name of the game. There is a universal rule in writing: no matter what it is, someone will love it and someone will hate it. At least it means you're engaging them, if that helps. But hey, you also have a buttload of good reviews and some of us pray for that day, so don't sweat it. We got your back. <3
Ha!!!! Excellent!

#20 ·
Maria Romana said:
^^This, exactly^^

See, here's the thing. That reader is not a member of your burgeoning fan club, and he never will be. He was looking for some super-fast action thriller with minimal detail, description, and character development. Judging by all your other 5-star reviews, I would say those latter features are what your book has going for it. So now, one-star-review guy has warned off others like him who don't like such books. Now you will have fewer disappointed readers returning books and leaving bad reviews, and, as Kevis mentioned, more and more folks who are looking for exactly what you do so well. This reader has endorsed you as the go-to guy for cool stories about boating in the Keys with lots of realistic details and in-depth characters. (Come to think of it, my dad would probably love this book.) Yay for one-star-review guy!

:) Maria
Thanks, Maria. I hadn't even thought of it in that context. Of course I don't want to disappoint my readers, but those looking for high speed, low drag, knuckle busting action aren't MY readers.

#21 ·
Drink.

#23 ·
The first time I got a 1* review I was very upset. Now I make a point of analysing it a bit. Are they right? Sometimes they are and in this day and age it could be an easy fix (typos etc). If they fundamentally dislike the book because it's not to their taste rather than because it's badly written, as in your case, then it's best to accept that you can't please everyone all the time. The important point is that you love what you've written and so do a lot of other people.

Alternatively you could write a rollercoaster ride of a story where action is followed by more action without any opportunity for the reader to take breath until they are gasping with exhaustion as the stakes are wracked higher and higher until it all culminates in a huge explosion of death and mayhem. And dedicate it to the reviewer. It's probably best not to hit the publish button on that one though ;D

#25 ·
Upon receiving a bad review I crochet a little voodoo doll and write the reviewer's username on it with beige crayon. Then I paste it to the wall with glitter glue and stand before it, hurling invectives at it (completely ignoring correct grammar) and cursing their entire family tree and ancestors yet to come. Then I bury the doll in the backyard while quietly giggling to myself.
I have a bit of a backlog, seeing how my backyard is currently under four feet of snow. But the time will come. Oh yes, it will....

#26 ·
Try laughing. Or rolling your eyes. Or poking fun at it in a *private* group.

But coming here to then put down said review? Not the path I'd recommend. Someone didn't like your book, and they don't need to meet your specifications of what is fair for them to rank it low, only theirs. If it's a few slow intro chapters, then so be it, man. You clearly have plenty more good reviews to balance it out  ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.