Author Topic: what ever happened to Joe Nobody?  (Read 33086 times)  

Offline FireMonkey

• Lurking's better.
    • View Profile
Re: what ever happened to Joe Nobody?
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
Stick to your guns Joe Nobody, and don't take any more cr*p! Hope it all settles down and works out for you so you can post here again.

Offline Quinn Richardson

• Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
There's a cold, analyzing part of me that wonders how much of the chaos inflicted on this happy, successful, complacent group of independent publishers might have been brought on by those whose livelihood is grounded in the continued domination of traditional publishing.

Conspiracy theory, for sure.  But a theory nonetheless.

Quinn Richardson | My site

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
Thank you, Joe, Russell and Elle for dropping in. I feel like I'm at a friggin' funeral. I'm walking away from this thread now... I don't want ya'll to see my big monkey tears. I just want to also say thank you, for all the help, encouragement and nudges you gave back to this board--to all of us--I've certainly sponged up every word you wrote. I'll still be seeing all of you, because I have your books. But it won't be the same. Years from now, we'll all be saying, "Remember when so-and-so was a regular at KBoards... ?" :'(

Offline L.M. Pfalz

• Florida
  • Write what you love. Love what you write.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Pfalz - author of the Moonridge Memories Saga
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
Joe, I've always enjoyed your posts here and it saddens me that you've now been put into this position, but you've gotta do what's necessary to protect yourself and your business, I totally get that. Maybe after taking a breather, you can regroup and come back after some time has passed. I appreciate all the advice you've given here, and I have great respect for you. I wish you all the best, no matter what you decide.
Moonridge Memories Saga - Women's Fiction | The Virginia White Chronicles - Thriller
L.M. Pfalz | blog

Offline Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »
Joe, I'm really sorry that you, Elle, and many others have to experience this.  I've been here long enough to see people come and go, and it's always a shame when a notable board personality goes, or fades away.  That said, I completely understand your reasons, and I'd probably do the same in your shoes (and come back in disguise, as CeeDee suggested!  :P  )

I wish you all the very best wherever your path takes you.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
Before I started selling reasonably well, an attack hurt my potential. Now, it takes money out of my pocket. There is a huge difference. Remember one in the hand, versus two in the bush? I can predict that once any of you have made it to the next level, that one in your grasp feels pretty darn good.
Youll fight like a cornered wildcat to keep it. When someone attacks you, its more than just an insult it is the same as me walking into your home and stealing your possessions. Think about that for a moment theres no difference.  

I hesitate to comment because I don't think those of us who aren't making significant income from our writing can really understand this feeling. I know I'd be miserable if what happened to you happened to me, but it wouldn't put my family's financial stability at risk. That's a whole different thing.

Anyone who says these concerns show you only care about money is an idiot. I am sure about that. We should *all* be aware that careers in the arts (film, writing, painting, whatever) are unstable. You can be doing great one day, and then, a few years later, no one remembers who you are. When that happens, the actor/writer/painter/whomever probably looks back and thinks, "Ah, yes, it was ______ event that started the downward slide," but at the time, it wasn't apparent. So when you're doing well, you look at every event and think, "Is this the one??"

Maybe. I don't know. I'm imagining myself into that position. Maybe I have it wrong. But if not, a worry like that is not at all the same thing as only caring about money. It's different in magnitude and in kind.

But the stuff that made you feel KB was friends, coworkers, family, comfy old boots -- that's still here. We're still here. In your position, I *think* I'd think that was a lot to give up. I'm not sure. I think so, but I'm not sure.

Offline ameliasmith

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
I'm glad to see that Joe and Elle (and quite a few others) have checked in. I'd noticed a shift in the conversations here lately, but I'd already been trying to spend less time here because I don't have the time to lurk here all day and actually write books, too.

Another reason was this phenomenon:
Somebody mentioned something about the threads here becoming repetitive.  IMHO, this is also one of those universal truths, in publishing and on the internet.

Back when I first got bit by the writing bug, I went and read through decades of issues of The Writer and Writer's Digest.  I discovered something: even though those were monthly magazines and didn't really go through that much material in a year, both magazines started repeating themselves after five years.  That's how long it took a monthly magazine to exhaust all the main lessons of writing -- craft, business, everything.

I mean, sure there are a lot of elements that go out of date quickly, especially on the business end, but if you look at it on a really grand scale, you realize that even that has a certain repetitive cycle to it.  That basic knowledge certainly evolves, but once you know it, you pick up on the evolutionary parts of it really quickly and don't need the whole lesson again and again.
IMHO, it behooves everybody to drift away and hang out in a different group for a whlle (or to belong to multiple groups) because even if each group is offering similar knowledge, they all have different points of view, and you can start building that deeper more nuanced understanding quicker.

I went away from this group.  I came back.  I recommend it.  It will refresh you, and it will change the dynamics of the group just enough to keep the group fresh.

Camille
I came here from AW, and valued the different perspective and the focus on marketing and the publishing side of the business, which I hadn't seen elsewhere. I'm starting to feel like I've cycled through the basics here, and need to shift focus, but I keep coming back because I enjoy the sense of community and the sometimes-heated discussions. I don't know if I'll take a break from this forum or not, but if I do I'll hope to see some familiar faces when I get back.

Offline Fferyllt

• Fferyllt
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
Wow. I feel like I just fell off my bike and skinned my knees, hands, chin and bent the wheel. Joe, Elle, Russell, Texas Girl and anyone else who shared their run up the charts and how that worked--and then got torpedoed for it--your posts were a huge contribution to the value of this place. It makes perfect sense that you wouldn't keep coming back for abuse. What doesn't make sense is why the truly amazing anomaly that Kboards is/was had to devolve into a shooting gallery.

Sure, things change over time. But this is an astonishing loss of experience, good will and talent, pretty much all at once. I learned what was possible from you. Now I'll have to make it up as I go along. Feels like abrupt and painful damage to a great and unique collection of scribblers and squabblers.  :(

Offline swolf

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
To Joe and the others considering leaving, first of all, thank you for all of your generous contributions.  It's you and others like you who have shown me the way to becoming an independent writer.  I hope you decide stay, but if you don't, I certainly understand.   It's sad to think that a few with black hearts are causing such damage.

Offline Jan Thompson

• USA
  • JanThompson.com/books
    • View Profile
    • JanThompson.com/books
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
So glad to see Joe Nobody alive and well. You're the man!

I had my 10-minute limit to live up to so I stopped posting to KB for a stretch back in January. Thus I had no idea all that aforementioned dirty laundry was flying around. I only found out something happened when I saw this thread, and after that, someone sent me a link to a hot button thread. And now I see the full picture.

Sad lessons I'm learning from this thread:
- When you start doing well as an indie, be careful what you say to anybody. There will be backlash and blowback.
- Vindictive people may post 1-star reviews to get back at you. You won't know who hit you or why.
- Try to say only fluffy, meaningless, popcorn gobbledegook that cannot be misquoted or taken out of context.

Happy lessons I'm learning from this thread:
- Don't worry. It's going to be OK. Life goes on.
- Don't let the turkeys get you down.
- Keep on keeping on. Speak your mind. Don't back down.

The question is: Which path do we take? I'm going with the Happy Lessons.

If we don't, then the likes of Don Maass indie naysayers win. I wonder if they're looking at this in-fighting with amusement that the Freight Class is having a first class cow. Implosion? Mission accomplished, eh?

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Heh. I've missed the last six pages of this thread because of a side project. Skipped to page 8. Something tells me not to go back and check out what I've missed.

I've been posting less and starting less threads not because I worry about my career or my earnings, but because for the 9 people who appreciate my involvement, there's a quiet 1 who loathes me. (I might have those numbers inverted, but you get the point).

Three incidences within a few days of each other last month drove this home, even though I've seen little examples over the years. Which is to be expected. Don't get me wrong, I have sung this place's praise for being an unusual pocket of civility in an internet that doesn't begrudge the stuff. So two things have made me more of a reader and less of a poster:

1. I hate to think I'm  p*ss ing people off with my presence, whatever the ratio.
2. Any decrease of enjoyment in a thing these days is liable to have it dropped from my routine, as my days are begging for open hours.

I do agree with the poster who pointed out that we don't notice the mid-listers who are going missing. Such is the annoyance of our focus on outliers. Speaking of which, I better get back to that project, which wraps up a quest that began here a little over a year ago.

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Jan Thompson

• USA
  • JanThompson.com/books
    • View Profile
    • JanThompson.com/books
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
2. Any decrease of enjoyment in a thing these days is liable to have it dropped from my routine, as my days are begging for open hours.

This is true. I dropped by WC to take a break from my WIPs. If the coffee is always bitter, the cafe is no fun to be in anymore.

Let's be civil. We can be civil. We're all professional (or want to be) writers, right?

Offline Susanne.

• Europe
    • View Profile
    • Susanne
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
Heh. I've missed the last six pages of this thread because of a side project. Skipped to page 8. Something tells me not to go back and check out what I've missed.

I've been posting less and starting less threads not because I worry about my career or my earnings, but because for the 9 people who appreciate my involvement, there's a quiet 1 who loathes me. (I might have those numbers inverted, but you get the point).

Three incidences within a few days of each other last month drove this home, even though I've seen little examples over the years. Which is to be expected. Don't get me wrong, I have sung this place's praise for being an unusual pocket of civility in an internet that doesn't begrudge the stuff. So two things have made me more of a reader and less of a poster:

1. I hate to think I'm  p*ss ing people off with my presence, whatever the ratio.

I do agree with the poster who pointed out that we don't notice the mid-listers who are going missing. Such is the annoyance of our focus on outliers. Speaking of which, I better get back to that project, which wraps up a quest that began here a little over a year ago.

How could anyone loathe you, Hugh? Your'e the kindest, most generous person here. I so admire the way you never changed, despite your great success.

It's a delight to see an Indie author do so well, yet never lose the pride in being Indie. You could have left us all behind, floated above us and given us a little indulgent wave now and then from the heights of trad publishing. But you didn't. You stayed with us and kept your Indie status as a badge of honor.

You're an inspiration. You make me proud to be an Indie.

Susanne O'Leary | website | blog | facebook | writer's forum

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
The upshot of this nine-page thread is that people say and do mean things on the internet. No argument from me there. While Im a little surprised that people are surprised by this (what Blake said should be obvious), I do sympathize with the people whove received one-star reviews as retaliation for what theyve said here. Thats just petty.

At the same time, I dont see what some of you expect the rest of us to do about it. Even if the mods became gatekeepers of positivity, deleting anything short of gushing praise, it wouldnt stop people from crapping on your books at Amazon. Worse, it would probably cause a lot of people to avoid KB because its just one big love-in.

I hesitate to add this, but it looks to me like lot of indies got (and continue to get) exposure from participating here. So the calculus is simple: if the effect of the bad reviews is greater than the sales from exposure, youre probably better off not posting. Sad for all, perhaps, but a reality all the same.

ETA. Good to see Joe back. I find him somehow soothing. Not the praise he was looking for, probably, but that's my praise.

ETA2. People notice the one's who've left, but what about the one's who've come back? Kevis, anyone? What about the new people? Are they all just bad? I think not.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:12:56 PM by WHDean »

Online valeriec80

• View Profile
    • V. J. Chambers, author
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
At the same time, I dont see what some of you expect the rest of us to do about it. Even if the mods became gatekeepers of positivity, deleting anything short of gushing praise, it wouldnt stop people from crapping on your books at Amazon. Worse, it would probably cause a lot of people to avoid KB because its just one big love-in.

I don't think they're asking us to do anything about it. I think they're only explaining why they're spending less time here.

Could be wrong, though. *shrug*

Offline sarahdalton

• View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
First of all, let me say Im sincerely touched by many of the posts in this threat. I also laughed you guys are a creative bunch, for sure.

I preach to my teenagers about the internet: Be careful. There are predators out there. There are people who will take whatever presence you present and twist it in cruel, unjustified ways. The net is forever. It is a digital playground full of insecure bully-people who are allowed to act without fear of retribution or punishment. They can hide behind a cloak of invisibility and do great harm. There is no cause and effect.

Yet, despite knowing all of this, what did I go and do? I got comfortable complacent. I didnt practice what I preached, and that was stupid. In my past, such ignorance equaled death. I know better.

I know this feeling far too well. It's happened to me before on another forum, and I'm not going to lie, it really hurt. It was really upsetting and, I might be a bit of a wimpy girl, but I actually wanted to cry.

I've learned so much from posters like Elle, Russell, Joe, Hugh and Holly. If it hadn't been for Kboards, I never would have published a single word.

Hopefully things will die down and we can get that community spirit back. I'm going to keep hanging around. But I must admit, some of the more aggressive threads have put me off attempting to debate certain subjects.

Free and bargain YA books. Sci-fi, horror, and fantasy.
Sarah Dalton | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
What Susanne said.

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
To Joe and the others considering leaving, first of all, thank you for all of your generous contributions.  It's you and others like you who have shown me the way to becoming an independent writer.  I hope you decide stay, but if you don't, I certainly understand.   It's sad to think that a few with black hearts are causing such damage.

Ditto.

I also agree that many, many mid-listers, and those who weren't quite that have also left. I've noticed this for a couple of months now. A lot of the people I learned from are simply gone.  There are also a couple of really big sellers that haven't been mentioned that have chosen to leave because of the negativity they felt they saw on here.

I miss the people I got to know on here that have left. Some I do talk to. Others I hadn't taken the step to get to know them outside of here. Definitely my loss. They were people who gave generously and were funny.  And, some I do private message. They check for those, but don't post because of various reasons mentioned in this thread. :(

Here's another example: I host a quarterly writers' group in my home. It was started by inviting people from here. We now have 19 members. How many would you guess still post here? Any guesses? You're looking at her. They grew tired of negativity, of readers threatening to "tell people not to read them" if they spoke their mind, of being ignored because they weren't part of a clique. Some said if they did post their comments were virtually ignored. So why stay?

(Don't shoot the messinger. I'm simply telling you what has been said. I'm still here because quite a few are friendly to me. I hope this place becomes fun and helpful again, and I'll work at trying to help it be soat least as time will allow. But I will say I've had all I'll take of threats and retaliation when I speak my mind, too. And I'm nobody! If I can't be honest here I'd rather leave. I'm not in high school anymore and haven't been for some time, so petty retaliation is something I can quite do without. :) )
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Gennita Low

• Spy-fy and military romance: love & flying bullets
    • View Profile
    • A LOW PROFILE
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
Joe Nobody,

I'm saddened by the KB writer who attacked you on his blog. Totally uncalled for, but at least we have a name now. And I'm still learning from you, from this experience, bitter lesson that it is.

I'm sorry so many of my friends are leaving or have decided to be quiet. From private conversations, I knew it was happening but seeing you all posting about your reasons here makes me even sadder.

We keep in touch through other ways but it's not the same as here at our Cafe.

Thank you to all who have shared their knowledge with me: Hugh, Joe, Elle, Liliana, Robert, Dalya, TG, Russell and so many more. Goodbye for now over here.
Rooferauthor
Mutant Poms Mommy Squirrel Whisperer
NYT and USA Today Bestselling Author

Offline Ben Mathew

• Seattle-land, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ben Mathew Economics
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
for the 9 people who appreciate my involvement, there's a quiet 1 who loathes me

I think that ratio's way off. Bet it's more like 50:1 or 100:1. Those are good odds, no?

You can't win 'em all, but you've won over many by your extraordinary humility in the face of success. :D

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »
First of all, let me say Im sincerely touched by many of the posts in this threat. I also laughed you guys are a creative bunch, for sure.

I preach to my teenagers about the internet: Be careful. There are predators out there. There are people who will take whatever presence you present and twist it in cruel, unjustified ways. The net is forever. It is a digital playground full of insecure bully-people who are allowed to act without fear of retribution or punishment. They can hide behind a cloak of invisibility and do great harm. There is no cause and effect.

Yet, despite knowing all of this, what did I go and do? I got comfortable complacent. I didnt practice what I preached, and that was stupid. In my past, such ignorance equaled death. I know better.

You see, most of you folks on this board are like a comfy old pair of boots. The mods do such a great job keeping the overt nastys suppressed that I let me guard down. When I posted, I had visions of friends and co-workers - others who shared a similar life-style and aspirations. We may disagree, squabble and even snark-a-little, but we are like family in so many ways. I dont always agree with my kin, and this place was no different. That was a stupid perspective on my part.

Here, as with any public facing website, there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of eyes watching every word we post. Our on-the-surface private conversations can then be taken, manipulated, selectively quoted and stuffed into whatever context the listeners desire. This isnt my estimate I can prove it from just two weeks ago. Its up in black and white on the web for all to see. Youve read dozens of posts on this site talking about the coincidence of attacks after posting here (or elsewhere). This wasn't a coincidence the proof that others are deliberately trying to harm me is no longer speculation. All based on a post in this forum. None of it would have happened if I wasn't here.

Because of my affection for all of you because I love to help others, I lost sight of that mentality. And that was stupid on my part. I was honest, open and exposing with my family. Again, dumb-dumb-dumb.

So now I find myself in a dilemma. Im terribly busy right now, but even when I do have a second to log in a read/post/contribute/learn, I dont. I feel as though I would have to carefully phrase each statement, watch each word and tread very lightly. Not only does that take time, it restrains what I can contribute. Most importantly, it wouldnt be any fun. Instead, I wander off to a non-writing distraction elsewhere.

There have been many who have speculated over the big sellers leaving the WC and to the reasons why. I cant speak for others, but I will clarify one very specific point that troubles me:

Before I started selling reasonably well, an attack hurt my potential. Now, it takes money out of my pocket. There is a huge difference. Remember one in the hand, versus two in the bush? I can predict that once any of you have made it to the next level, that one in your grasp feels pretty darn good.
Youll fight like a cornered wildcat to keep it. When someone attacks you, its more than just an insult it is the same as me walking into your home and stealing your possessions. Think about that for a moment theres no difference.  

Now Im sure someone out there will post about this. Theyll say Im greedy... that money is my only motivator. They will judge me despite never having walked a mile in my shoes. Forget honor, reputation and professionalism. Ignore the countless hours of labor and toil - Joe's just a greedy [illegitimate person]. Shrug. But that brings us back to the point why would anybody sign up for that? I both lean and love to help others here, but is it worth it? Thats my dilemma, and Im sure Im not alone.  

Darn it, Joe, you have been a valuable poster on this site, so your leaving is very much too bad. It is very easy for for someone else to critidise, but you have to do what you feel is right for your own success. Anyone who argues with that is just being selfish themselves.

There are nasty people out there and some strange ones. I'll tell you a funny thing. There is someone, almost certainly from this board, who goes through and marks down every single 5-star review my novels receive. It is too consistently done to be coincidence. Why? It doesn't hurt me although there are a few reviewers it might hurt if they want a high ranking as a reviewer. The nasties exist.

Anyway, you'll be missed even though most of us completely understand why you put your own career first. You'd be insane to do otherwise and that you are not. :)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline kwest

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »

How could anyone loathe you, Hugh? Your'e the kindest, most generous person here. I so admire the way you never changed, despite your great success.

It's a delight to see an Indie author do so well, yet never lose the pride in being Indie. You could have left us all behind, floated above us and given us a little indulgent wave now and then from the heights of trad publishing. But you didn't. You stayed with us and kept your Indie status as a badge of honor.

Totally agreed. It's so inspiring to see such a good person doing well in science fiction. And you've been doing great at smashing people's perceptions that self-pubbing is a bad thing. I'm keeping up with Mr. Howey's blog so that I don't get withdrawals.

Offline ElHawk

• San Juan Islands, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
Hey all.  A friend alerted me to this thread, so I popped in to clear the air.  I see a lot of conjecturing that's way off base, so let me set the record straight.

1.  I am not too busy to post on KB.
2.  I have not abandoned my fellow writers because I hit it big.
3.  I have not run out of useful things to say because you all "need to figure it out for yourselves".
4.  I'm not protesting not being treated better than others.

I stopped posting here after (1) being accused of doing something self-serving when I was offering the chance for other authors to connect with my readers via FB, (2) being given a rash of 1-stars and 2-stars from people who obviously hadn't read my books and a ton of downvotes, and (3) reading the horrible expos that a total dickweed from KB posted on his website (name withheld) attacking Joe Nobody, someone who I respect greatly.  A bunch of people (like that dickweed) from Amazon's forums came over here and the mood just got ugly.

I love all you guys and want you all to succeed and see every single one of your dreams come true.  However, I cannot help you do that at risk to my own livelihood.  Turning me into the bad guy when all I'm trying to do is help, and hurting the reputation of my books by affecting their ratings does that.  This place was just no longer a safe place for me to share anymore.  I don't want to speak for Joe, but I'm guessing he feels the same way.  He did tell me he wasn't going to be coming to KB anymore after he was attacked by that KB member.

It made me really sad to see all the piling on of other members and the negative remarks and the obvious nasty jealousy that's being harbored here, because KB was my writer-home. I know it's a public place and there are all types here, but it wasn't like this before.  Maybe someday it will change back, but I doubt it.  There are more and more self-published authors out there, which means there are going to be more and more unhappy people looking to get rich quick who will harbor resentment against those who do find success while they don't.

Anyone who wants advice from me is welcome to contact me. I haven't lost my will to help others, just the platform on which I was doing it.  I also want to say that I've got nothing but love for Harvey and Betsy.  They work really hard to make this a resource for us indies and I personally learned a lot here. 

Cheers~

So I guess I live under a rock, because all of this was news to me and had me gaping at my computer screen.  I only tend to pay attention to threads that grab my attention by their title, and somehow I missed all of this stuff when it happened.

Wow, is all I can say.

No wonder Elle, Joe, and others have left altogether or taken long breaks.  Frankly, that looks like the sensible thing to do for anybody who wants to protect his or her current or potential future career.  This stuff ranges from petty to psycho.  Who wants to be around that?  Debates and the occasional argument are one thing, but retaliatory behavior is another. 

Grow up, whoever participated in this b.s.

Take Off Your Pants and see what everybody is talking about!
Libbie Hawker | Site + Blog | Mailing List | Twitter

Offline StacyC

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »
This thread is very sad, indeed. :(

Overall, I think the members of Kboards are generous people, who honestly want to help other authors. I hope things calm down and are able to become what they were. WC hasn't been the same recently, but I do hope it returns. I definitely appreciate the time the successful indies have taken from their busy schedules to share their advice. It's disheartening that the acts of some have caused them to leave. I understand why they leave, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

I also appreciate (most) everyone else. Everyone has something to offer the board. I've learned a lot from WC, from people at all levels of their writing careers.

I hope those with ulterior motives choose to move on. Leave the generous, kind-hearted authors alone. If you have an issue with them, take it to them personally and privately, like an adult. If not, watch out for karma. You know what they say about her.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »

Yes. You are my role model, Hugh. Really. Truly. I would think the ratio must be more like 99 to 1. If people are taking shots at you, that makes me sad.

Ditto for Joe Nobody. I think I'm a little bit in love with Joe Nobody.