Author Topic: what ever happened to Joe Nobody?  (Read 31853 times)  

Offline JeanneM

• East Coast
    • View Profile
    • The Pet Medium
Re: what ever happened to Joe Nobody?
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
Hi Guys...glad you can see me.   :D

GIFSoup

Offline MeiLinMiranda

• Portland, OR
  • A gypsy queen in a fairy tale
    • View Profile
    • Meilin Miranda: Stories of Magic, Sex and Intrigue
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
Geez, every time I take a break I miss a kerfuffle...

Stories of Magic, Sex and Intrigue
MeiLin Miranda | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | Blurb Doctor
No F's to Give in 2014

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2014, 11:22:59 PM »
The last I remember reading from Joe, he had asked us about suggestions on how to handle a really bad review (which turned into a long negative conversation between him and the reviewer in his book's review section).
Someone named Sean found the thread here, went over to the review conversation on Zon, and pasted in a link telling the angry reviewer to come here and see what Joe was saying about him.
Immediately, Joe went silent. I would have, too. At least until it all blew over and/or a lawyer told me it was okay to start speaking again.
I'm glad to hear he's doing okay. (Thanks Jeanne)

As for other big names that have gone missing... is it simply possible that their careers have reached a point where they're super-busy and just don't have time? Doing interviews, being asked to write guest articles on big sites, being invited to speak at conventions, being courted by TradPubs, being courted by Hollywood, co-authoring with other people, being invited to participate in anthologies, all on top of trying to keep their output going? Something like that wouldn't leave a lot of time to drop in and chat.

It's not always a falling sky; that they're leaving because it's gotten so awful. Sometimes it's a happy thing; that they're busy being successes. :)

Several have publicly stated here they won't be posting much anymore. I posted I won't be sharing my advertising or marketing promos/stats here anymore because of the comments  to me and others like me. 

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline ecg52

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 11:35:39 PM »
Wow! I had no idea all these undercurrents were going on. I love this forum. I come on here and scroll through the subjects of posts and click on the ones that seem interesting to me. If there's a squabble going on, I leave. If it turns out not to be interesting, I leave. If I feel I have something to say or contribute, I do that.
I've read through most of this thread. I rarely read through a 5 page thread, but I got caught up in all the reasons why people leave and all the little undercurrents going on that I've never noticed.
Could it be some of us are a little too sensitive? I never feel someone is bragging when they tell what they've done to be successful. I'm happy for them and hope by copying some of their methods, I too will be successful.
I'm happy to hear Joe Nobody is just busy and will be back.
I hope Hugh and Elle and others will post again.

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
  • It's my book! I do what I want!
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2014, 12:10:30 AM »
Hey all.  A friend alerted me to this thread, so I popped in to clear the air.  I see a lot of conjecturing that's way off base, so let me set the record straight.

1.  I am not too busy to post on KB.
2.  I have not abandoned my fellow writers because I hit it big.
3.  I have not run out of useful things to say because you all "need to figure it out for yourselves".
4.  I'm not protesting not being treated better than others.

I stopped posting here after (1) being accused of doing something self-serving when I was offering the chance for other authors to connect with my readers via FB, (2) being given a rash of 1-stars and 2-stars from people who obviously hadn't read my books and a ton of downvotes, and (3) reading the horrible expos that a total dickweed from KB posted on his website (name withheld) attacking Joe Nobody, someone who I respect greatly.  A bunch of people (like that dickweed) from Amazon's forums came over here and the mood just got ugly.

I love all you guys and want you all to succeed and see every single one of your dreams come true.  However, I cannot help you do that at risk to my own livelihood.  Turning me into the bad guy when all I'm trying to do is help, and hurting the reputation of my books by affecting their ratings does that.  This place was just no longer a safe place for me to share anymore.  I don't want to speak for Joe, but I'm guessing he feels the same way.  He did tell me he wasn't going to be coming to KB anymore after he was attacked by that KB member.

It made me really sad to see all the piling on of other members and the negative remarks and the obvious nasty jealousy that's being harbored here, because KB was my writer-home. I know it's a public place and there are all types here, but it wasn't like this before.  Maybe someday it will change back, but I doubt it.  There are more and more self-published authors out there, which means there are going to be more and more unhappy people looking to get rich quick who will harbor resentment against those who do find success while they don't.

Anyone who wants advice from me is welcome to contact me. I haven't lost my will to help others, just the platform on which I was doing it.  I also want to say that I've got nothing but love for Harvey and Betsy.  They work really hard to make this a resource for us indies and I personally learned a lot here. 

Cheers~

Online Becca Mills

• U.S.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »
Gotta say, this is all sort of heart-breaking.

Offline GUTMAN

• USA
  • "By gad, Sir, You are a character!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »
Gotta say, this is all sort of heart-breaking.

Heartbreaking, and completely understandable.  We reap what we sow. I remain embarrassed that Elle had to go through this, as well as Texas Girl and Joe. 

The three of you are a class act.

Elle, thank you for everything you've shared here.  I am the richer for it, and the poorer for you leaving.  But I'll be in touch.

Online Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:27 AM »
I've been mostly lurking here for four years. People come and go, attitudes come and go.  It sucks that the negativity is running high right now, but I've noticed that those kinds of feelings also tend to come and go.

I do see what Elle is saying about bitterness and professional jealously showing up more lately. It's something that happens a lot in the trad world, too. Kind of the dirty little secret of writers that lots of people experience from both sides but no one likes to talk about.  It's ugly and it sucks to be on either end of it and it is never productive or helpful.

Offline DGS

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:03 AM »
This is the problem of literally every forum that starts getting bigger than the community that held the original values. I've seen it over and over, and, unfortunately, I've never seen a solution. A private forum with donations was one idea, but even then, if anyone can purchase, it suffers the same fate.

This just sucks. :(

Offline K. D.

• EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2014, 02:28:32 AM »
As so ever I' late to this thread, and my post may be redundant, since many have said what I wanted to say when I finally caught up in this thread.

I, also find it sad that a bunch of people just became members so that they could stir up the friendly atmosphere here. I'm almost sure they left again, now that their goal is reached.

But I'm more sad, that those succeeded in their goal, poison the atmosphere, cause distrust and driving away and robbing us of valuable and apprecited members. And that a few troublemakers are able to destroy faith in a friendly community. And leave the rest of us bewildered and robbed of wisdom. Sad, that they succeeded so easily.

It may be too late, but I do hope those members who left are still watching and pipe in once and again, maybe will post, when they see the disquieter, who jeopardized their livinghood, have wandered off again for good. But I doubt it.   :'(

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Ty Johnston
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2014, 02:33:38 AM »
I'll just add, for the last 5 years I have hardly ever gone to another public board because of all the viciousness and childishness. For the last 5 years, I've pretty much considered KB my online "home" as a message board because KB felt like a safe, informative place. Every now and then that "safe" aspect felt a little silly to me, but of late, I've come to understand it and cherish it. Why? Because I see it being whittled away a little more every day.

About Joe, glad to hear he's keeping busy. I hope he makes it back over here eventually.

Ty Johnston | blog

Offline FireMonkey

• Lurking's better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2014, 04:33:42 AM »
Whatever Joe's reasons for taking time away from the Writer's Cafe, or anybody else's, KBoards is by far the best writer's forum available for us. Don't let the actions of a tiny minority spoil what is otherwise an excellent resource for all authors.

It's us that will make or break it, not those who seek to victimise or mount campaigns against other authors.

Keep posting when and where you can. If you don't want to share things that may attract 'trouble' that's fine, but don't abandon a great site on the actions of anonymous trolls.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »
I was sick most of January, and it seems I missed some stuff.

Such a terrible thing, I'll never understand why there are people who do this sort of thing!

Some people just like to stir up excrement and watch the fallout. Sad, pitiful people. I would not dream of giving someone a low review (or mark one helpful) just because I didn't agree with something they posted, an opinion they held, or really, any other reason. That's childish.

EelKat, I know the board you're talking about, which I came to after that big kerfluffle. Still a hateful attitude towards self-publishers, and no hiding it. I used to wander over there for the writing threads, and info about publishers/agents/contests/etc, but it's just too much bother for very little return.

Here you go, Jan. I shall sum up the vast knowledge of everything useful there is to learn from KBoards.

1-Writing a series is often a pretty good idea
2-It sometimes helps to price the first book in your series lower than the others as a loss leader. $.99 or Permafree
3-Writing in a popular genre sure doesn't hurt things.
4-Publish frequently.
5-Make sure your work is professional quality--this means everything from story craft to typos to covers to your blurb.
6-Bookbub
7-Lots of people here have found success by pricing lower than the trads, generally under $5.
8-Start a mailing list.
9-Take advantage of cross-promo within your genre.
10-Bundles and omnibuses
11-If you write romance or YA, Xpresso book tours is pretty freaking awesome.
12-If something's working for someone else, get on the bus fast, because it rarely lasts long once the strategy becomes saturated.
13-Make paperbacks (Use createspace and take the free ISBN)
14-You should market, but you should devote more time to writing than you devote to marketing.

Areas of dissent:
1-It's possible that having your book available on as many platforms as possible is beneficial. It's also possible that KDP Select will launch your career.
2-Success? Hard work or luck? The world may never know.
3-Free books? Great way to make more money and reach more readers or the beginning of the end of any authors making any money at writing? Jury's still out.
4-Chase the market or write the books of your heart? We're not sure.
5-Plotting vs. Pantsing. 'Nuff said.

Well, there you go! That pretty much sums it up. Everybody copy and paste this into a Word document, and we can close the Internet.  ;)

I mean, I'm oversimplifying for sure, but my point is that we'll all be okay even if we never see our superstar friends again. Besides, within a year or two, we'll have new superstars. Authors break out all the time.

Keep the faith! The sky is not falling!

But I do miss people too, and I don't want things to change either. :(

Yeah, it's hard to see some members go. I miss modwitch terribly. She was an early adapter of Select, and shared loads of great info about that, and writing/publishing in general. On the other hand, there are some I don't miss at all, because they seemed to post only to start something, or just be contrary in general.

All forums change with time, as new members come in and others move on. I've given up on some forums, but I still have high hopes that the Writer's Cafe can mellow out again. We can all do our part by thinking before we hit that post button. The gods know I do. Often. My delete key is wearing out.  ;D
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline mrv01d

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
This is true, Jim.  But what Lisa and Drew encapsulated also contains the truth. Personally, I don't want to let the community off the hook by simply writing off the loss of people to evolution.  We all have responsibility for what we post and words have consequences.

The forum will roll on. I just think reflection is in order.

And I think the forum has some responsibility too. There have been some very skeevy posters tolerated here when it was obvious they were Warrior Forums IM types looking to make a buck off this community. Then you have the poor behavior and tantrums that people help turn into mega threads...nip those in the bud.

A free-for-all had value when no one knew what was going on, but now that we have some parameters of how this indie thing works, the free-for-all mentality is not as profitable. The forum needs to be sure they're attracting and retaining the members who know what they are doing.

But again, start here, don't stay here. If KB is your only source of indie information, you need to branch out. The self publishing loops are good, Marie Force, IndieRomanceInk etc... have little to none of the nonsense here.

M
USA Today & NY Times bestselling author

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »

I stopped posting here after (1) being accused of doing something self-serving when I was offering the chance for other authors to connect with my readers via FB, (2) being given a rash of 1-stars and 2-stars from people who obviously hadn't read my books and a ton of downvotes, and (3) reading the horrible expos that a total dickweed from KB posted on his website (name withheld) attacking Joe Nobody, someone who I respect greatly.  A bunch of people (like that dickweed) from Amazon's forums came over here and the mood just got ugly.

Exactly what I was alluding to, but I don't want to put words into other's mouths.  I really hope you stick around Elle, we miss you :)  Please don't let the terrorists run you guys off because of their jealousy issues.

Offline mrv01d

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2014, 05:41:56 AM »

I stopped posting here after (1) being accused of doing something self-serving when I was offering the chance for other authors to connect with my readers via FB, (2) being given a rash of 1-stars and 2-stars from people who obviously hadn't read my books and a ton of downvotes, and (3) reading the horrible expos that a total dickweed from KB posted on his website (name withheld) attacking Joe Nobody, someone who I respect greatly.  A bunch of people (like that dickweed) from Amazon's forums came over here and the mood just got ugly.

Here's a conspiracy theory...who here has seen a forum targeted by trolls before? They seek to cause bad feelings and conflict whenever possible and disrupt hierarchy/established relationships. They also try to fit in and look like they belong. They might even be helpful and kind at points to build credibility.

KB just didn't have people from Amazon's forums here recently, there were some slick internet marketeers (profiteers+marekters) clearly looking for an angle. But there were all these successful writers sharing info that I imagine they saw as direct competition. (I bet if we poked around long enough on forums like Warrior Forums we'd find someone saying to target KB as a potential income generator.)

A few bad reviews spurred on by jealousy sounds about right, but multiple reviews and downvotes? Seems a little too coordinated to me and expensive for one person to hire out. And hey look, it got you to step back a bit on KB! Huh. Interesting.

Again, KB needs to start paying attention to how they're going to keep this forum from meeting the same fate as Amazon's. Low barrier to entry is great when no one has anything to lose, but the game has changed.

M

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:45:13 AM by mrv01d »

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2014, 06:00:50 AM »
And I think the forum has some responsibility too. There have been some very skeevy posters tolerated here when it was obvious they were Warrior Forums IM types looking to make a buck off this community. Then you have the poor behavior and tantrums that people help turn into mega threads...nip those in the bud.

A free-for-all had value when no one knew what was going on, but now that we have some parameters of how this indie thing works, the free-for-all mentality is not as profitable. The forum needs to be sure they're attracting and retaining the members who know what they are doing.

But again, start here, don't stay here. If KB is your only source of indie information, you need to branch out. The self publishing loops are good, Marie Force, IndieRomanceInk etc... have little to none of the nonsense here.

M

Cool. Any sites not romance?

Offline mrv01d

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2014, 06:11:42 AM »
Cool. Any sites not romance?

I haven't found any yet. I've considered adding that on as part of the I Read Fantasy platform but haven't had much time to look into it.

M

Offline Bria Quinlan

• Boston
  • Look at me! I'm invisible!
    • View Profile
    • Bria Quinlan
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2014, 06:28:10 AM »
I wasn't going to post. I really wasn't. And not just because of this thread, but because last week I quit KB. But, this thread is being talked about off-board in about a bazillion places.

So, here goes....

This thread, the very one discussing why people are leaving, is missing the point. You're all asking where the BIG NAME authors have gone? Where are our "super stars" where are our "famous writers" .... and yet, this board has lost a ton of talent that none of you mention. People who put in hours quietly encouraging others and answering questions.

This board has become a SANTA! I KNOW HIM! place. Yay. You're all on a board with Hugh Howey. Good for you.  (No offence Hugh.)

You're also on a board with a lot of amazing people who are either:
1. one day going to be huge but you'll miss out bc they already left bc they were under valued
2. are doing amazing now but because they're not famous you don't know it bc they don't tell you how much they're making
3. people who are never going to be rich or famous bc of subgenre/speed/luck/whatever but have a lot of knowledge and experience and should be valued.

In the last three weeks I've watched people argue blindly with some people who I know are doing some AMAZING things out there. People who have more knowledge about self-publishing in their toenails than most of us have period. But because they're not huge names/famous outside their genre, they must not know anything. I've watched people literally ask how p*ssed off they can get people. I've seen people say "I don't write or read that genre, but..." and because they're popular or snarky suddenly their information about something they know nothing about is valued more. I've watched people offer others help and be b*tch slapped. I watched one person call the group on this and get re-b*tch slapped.

Personally, after watching so many threads about "what is select free doing now with the restructure" I tracked my free run and posted the pre/during/post numbers and compared them to a free run 11 months before thinking people would value that information.

Not one person replied.... was my post that stupid? Did no one really want those numbers? Did I accidentally speak gibberish? Or do I not have a name that people here recognize so my data is useless?

Are people leaving because this stuff is old hat to them? OR are they leaving because it's become a place where we value the wrong things and instead of being a positive, restuf community filled with resources it's snarklandia?

I've posted less...and lesss...and leesssssss here as my posts have been ignored even when it's something right in my wheelhouse. And then, bam. I quit. And of course no one noticed (altho, back when I got less involved, I got several lovely notes about missing my positivity and FF FRIDAY... thank you lovely folks *hugs* Ive been excited to watch several of you take off! Keep it up Its going to be great!!!)

You newbies want information? Well, let me give you some advice: When you decide to listen to people because they're clever or snarky or popular instead of listening to people who are talking from experience, the experienced people are going to stop wasting their time.

ALSO, I keep seeing people be like "Why can't the famous people put up with a couple cutting remarks and 1star drive by reviews and people telling them their snobs and arguing with them about stuff they knows works, and . to stay and help us for the greater good????"

Why should they? Why should anyone stay somewhere and give, give, give to only get back abuse... for you? Instead, what they should get is "thank you." End of sentence. OR if you really want to thank people, a Thank you and I just bought your book bc youve been invaluable in teaching me about self-publishing.

This isn't directed at one person. I'm sure a lot of people are going to see themselves in this post (if anyone bothers to read it), but the honest truth is, I'm not here enough to single people out and this thread was repeatitive in the things I pointed out.

I do miss KB the way it was... not because it was the good ole days or who we rubbed shoulders with but because it's what I thought a forum should be:

SAFE COMMUNITY + VALUABLE RESOURCE.

If anyone did bother to read this, it wasnt an attack or finger pointing or any of that. It was an honest answer of what I feel (and have heard elsewhere). I would LOVE for KB to be the type of place where what was valued before could make a come back.

Heres to staying positive, searching for answers, and everyone writing to the best of their own journey.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2014, 06:46:18 AM »

If anyone did bother to read this, it wasnt an attack or finger pointing or any of that. It was an honest answer of what I feel (and have heard elsewhere). I would LOVE for KB to be the type of place where what was valued before could make a come back.

I read this, Bria.  You're not 'invisible.'   ;)
Jena

Online Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2014, 06:58:11 AM »
This whole thing makes me want to weep.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline WG McCabe

• The hero WC deserves
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »
Bria I am really glad that you and Elle made your posts here. It's things that I've mentioned before but lacked the cache to really drive home. Plus, I didn't want to tell tales out of school, so to speak.

I agree with everything you said. Thank you.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »
I rely on the WC for support, and generally I get it. Lately there have been one or two people asking me why I ask so many basic questions (asking for suggestions for names, etc). But most people have been very understanding of my circumstances, and in many ways I've found this forum very helpful.

I'll never be the success that Ella Casey or Hugh Howey is - Children's books aren't that big a genre for indys, and fairy tales are an even smaller subset. But I love hearing about their successes, and sometimes I do get good ideas for how I can improve my own numbers, even though in many ways I'm doing everything wrong (unpopular genre, no series)

It sometimes depresses me that there seems to be a downward pressure for pricing.  It seems to me that, if you're producing quality products, the price ought to reflect that.

I've learned a lot from Hugh and Ella and Joe and Blake, and I really hope that, after things cool down a bit, they come back. I, at least, need you.

www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1
covers by Todd C. Hamilton

Online Rosalind J

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2014, 07:18:20 AM »
Personally, I haven't felt offended or attacked (but I'm kinda hard to offend), and I haven't had any negative reviews that I would suspect came from so-called "competitors." Sadly, they've all just been ladies who've disliked my books. Sigh.

I don't get many views on the couple of topics I've posted, either, but that's OK. I mean, it is what it is. Controversial subjects (or subject lines about sex) get discussed and viewed more, and engaged in more, because they arouse emotion.

Next time I post about how to write a blurb, maybe I'll call it, "How to write about sex." :) Hey, I read vrabinec's post titled something like that! And responded!

Nah, it's OK. I figure my stuff is only interesting to certain people, just like I don't read everything here.

I get a lot out of this place,  and I try to answer and be helpful and encouraging in turn. It's not perfect, but it's suuuuure a lot better than anyplace else I've found. I like hearing different people's experiences, too--people at different stages in their careers, in different genres. I think it's useful. (Though I do turn it off when I'm writing. You've heard from me so much lately because I finished a book and haven't started the next, am editing early books and doing other stuff, which can get a little boring, so I come here and listen!)

So--I hope people stay. I enjoy reading and learning.

Oh, and P.S.: Interestingly, ALL the good stuff that's come to me in the past couple months--and there's been a lot of good stuff--started happening about two weeks after I joined KBoards. It raised my profile or something, I think.

Online Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:36 AM »

I've learned a lot from Hugh and Ella and Joe and Blake, and I really hope that, after things cool down a bit, they come back. I, at least, need you.

THIS.  :(
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor