KB Featured Book
Bloody Sunrise
by Gregg Bell

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-06-06
Bestseller ranking: 4595

Product Description

Denny O'Callaghan is afraid to open his eyes.

He'd been out drinking last night with the guys, and his head throbs, his arms hurt, and he can't remember what he's done.

He opens his eyes. Blood. On his sheets. His pillowcase.

Then he gets a call: his ex-wife was murdered last night.

He desperately tries to piece together what happened. But he can't explain how he got the scratches on his arms, the police want to know about the domestic violence report his ex filed against him, and his buddies say he was raging against her last night before he stormed off on his own.

Right about the time she was murdered.

Take advantage of this introductory low price!

What readers are saying about Bloody Sunrise:

'My involvement was total...I read this book straight through twice.' suziqnb

'Great thr...

Author Topic: what ever happened to Joe Nobody?  (Read 32049 times)  

TonyUauthor

Re: what ever happened to Joe Nobody?
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »
I'm basically brand new to these forums.  I found them by accident in December and was immediately thrilled.  Through reading the old posts, I was encouraged and excited to try self publishing.  It's sad that people feel as if they're being chased away and I've seen that happen at countless forums over the year.  I just want to thank everyone who made this forum what it was and is and hope things even out and allow everyone to coexist again soon.

Offline K. D.

• EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2014, 07:33:56 AM »
Thanks for taking the time and coming by, Elle and Bria. Am not arguing with you on any point here...  >:( (Although since you left I doubt this will be seen)

In the past I lurked her almost daily, and found myself doing not so much these last weeks. Not because I got slapped or ignored, but of the tone. I will continue to lurk and sometimes even post just as before, and hopeful will see a weather change again. As said before, I'm sad this happened.

And hopefully we, the remaining folk here, will learn from this and stay friendly and objective.  :-X

Offline WG McCabe

• The hero WC deserves
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »
Personally, I haven't felt offended or attacked (but I'm kinda hard to offend), and I haven't had any negative reviews that I would suspect came from so-called "competitors." Sadly, they've all just been ladies who've disliked my books. Sigh.

I don't get many views on the couple of topics I've posted, either, but that's OK. I mean, it is what it is. Controversial subjects (or subject lines about sex) get discussed and viewed more, and engaged in more, because they arouse emotion.

Next time I post about how to write a blurb, maybe I'll call it, "How to write about sex." :) Hey, I read vrabinec's post titled something like that! And responded!

Nah, it's OK. I figure my stuff is only interesting to certain people, just like I don't read everything here.

I get a lot out of this place,  and I try to answer and be helpful and encouraging in turn. It's not perfect, but it's suuuuure a lot better than anyplace else I've found. I like hearing different people's experiences, too--people at different stages in their careers, in different genres. I think it's useful. (Though I do turn it off when I'm writing. You've heard from me so much lately because I finished a book and haven't started the next, am editing early books and doing other stuff, which can get a little boring, so I come here and listen!)

So--I hope people stay. I enjoy reading and learning.

Oh, and P.S.: Interestingly, ALL the good stuff that's come to me in the past couple months--and there's been a lot of good stuff--started happening about two weeks after I joined KBoards. It raised my profile or something, I think.

I bookmarked that blog post for future reference. I can't remember if I thanked you for it. I'm usually good about those things but if I didn't I apologize. And thanks!

Offline jackz4000

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2014, 07:42:36 AM »
A KB member bashed Joe Nobody in his blog which was pretty skeevy. I won't post it, use Google.  :'(

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
This thread, the very one discussing why people are leaving, is missing the point. You're all asking where the BIG NAME authors have gone? Where are our "super stars" where are our "famous writers" .... and yet, this board has lost a ton of talent that none of you mention. People who put in hours quietly encouraging others and answering questions.

I'm sorry if my words came out harsh :(  I was pointing out names that everybody would reconize.  I mean, if I faded into obscurity I wouldn't even leave a ripple in the wake of my absense.  With the kindness and sharing from those who've left... when I started writing... I wouldn't be where I am now without this board and many of the kind members here. 

Online Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
I appreciate the help, advice, stats, direction, etc. from everyone. I'm not talking just about the so-called "famous" people. I'm talking about ALL the experienced and knowledgeable posters. Often I don't post on threads because I am simply soaking in the information and have nothing more to add. From now on, I will take a moment to post a thank you. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has helped me to date! I'd never have been able to self-publish without you. What I won't be doing is posting in nasty threads. Writing any kind of comment on those seems to feed the monster.

To those of you who left, I hope you continue lurking and will return when you see the proper tone has returned.

Offline Sonya Bateman

• Nothing interesting to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
If anyone did bother to read this...

I read it. <3

Heres to staying positive, searching for answers, and everyone writing to the best of their own journey.

Hear, hear. *raises glass*

WRONG SIDE OF HELL -- #27 of the 50 Self-Published Books Worth Reading 2016. Woo!
Sonya Bateman

Offline TwillyJune

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • WitLiz Today
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Alright already. There's a lot of self-serving I's in these posts and other's like it. I this, I that, I won't come back, I'm a lurker, I didn't because, I read that and blacked out, I won't be posting anymore, because because because because becauuusssse, I don't wanna get hit by a 1 star review. I'm off to no man's land where people appreciate me more!

Well, I got some self-serving I's for you too. I got the flu, I got the asthma and I got the waist-band shingles all in one month. I hurt worse than a sumo-wrestler struck by an iceberg. I lurk more than I post because I usually have nothing to add, and I far more enjoy reading other's thoughts. It's inspiring to me. But I can also be a first-class 'witch', especially now and I don't mind letting you all know about it. So, poster's feelings are getting hurt by drive by hitters? And the response is to retreat into a hole? Guess what? I don't care if feelings got hurt. I only care if you don't retreat into a hole. One star my book? Fine. Give me 80 one stars. I don't care.

What do I care about then? I care that so many fine writer's and author's have lost focus on what is really important. Do you want to continually grow and refine your work as a writer and author? Then you must not insulate yourself from the masses of troubled souls who seem compelled to make other's suffer. You must not insulate yourself from all these negative drive by reviews for fear your livelihood will go up in smoke. That is an unhealthy fear and unsustainable if you want long-lasting success. I mean sure, you can sit on a fancy yacht all by yourself in the middle of the ocean if you want, but eventually a storm is going to come and you better be prepared.

Being a successful writer and author is a lot like being on the other end of a stoning. Ask Stephen King all about that. To make matter's worse the guy got hit by a truck! And yet he still writes, he still advises, he still mentors, he still lectures, he still puts his name on books to help fledgling authors, while at the same time he gets absolutely crucified when he misspeaks on occasion. The punishment does not fit the crime! But he apologizes, moves on and continues to contribute. He is a well-rounded human being, with all the faults that come with being human, but he continues to contribute in a humanitarian way no matter the slings and arrows of misfortune, or verbal attacks.

This is an intolerant, judgmental society we live in. Please don't make it worse by allowing negativity to keep you from contributing to the beginning writer's who are grateful for the time and service that you do put in! Yes, being active on KB and other similar forums makes it easier for people to toss stones at you and your work. But I, for one, will never allow other's to dictate my actions or support a cause that I know is right.

KB is a good place to be. It is the perfect place to contribute more than just your advice on writing and publishing. There are troubled people everywhere. And yes, they are on KB's. Imo, they need our support, and not censure and condemnation, or being publicly called-out. So, how do we best support them? By contributing to this board, by not getting so easily offended, by being a good example, and by politely setting boundaries where necessary, even at the risk of a bad review.

Offline mrv01d

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
Twilly...please come back and tell us how we should just take our one star lumps when you actually have a one star review. From your siggy, looks like you don't have much experience in how much money a one star can cost an author.

These authors aren't hiding b/c they can't take the criticism, it's because one stars from petulant authors (and legitimate ones from readers) kill your sales and you make less money.

When you're making a living as a writer, when that income pays your bills, you don't engage in activities that hurt your bottom line. Period. No one should have to hurt themselves to help you or any other indie.
USA Today & NY Times bestselling author

Offline Wansit

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
Alright already. There's a lot of self-serving I's in these posts and other's like it. I this, I that, I won't come back, I'm a lurker, I didn't because, I read that and blacked out, I won't be posting anymore, because because because because becauuusssse, I don't wanna get hit by a 1 star review. I'm off to no man's land where people appreciate me more!

Well, I got some self-serving I's for you too. I got the flu, I got the asthma and I got the waist-band shingles all in one month. I hurt worse than a sumo-wrestler struck by an iceberg. I lurk more than I post because I usually have nothing to add, and I far more enjoy reading other's thoughts. It's inspiring to me. But I can also be a first-class 'witch', especially now and I don't mind letting you all know about it. So, poster's feelings are getting hurt by drive by hitters? And the response is to retreat into a hole? Guess what? I don't care if feelings got hurt. I only care if you don't retreat into a hole. One star my book? Fine. Give me 80 one stars. I don't care.

What do I care about then? I care that so many fine writer's and author's have lost focus on what is really important. Do you want to continually grow and refine your work as a writer and author? Then you must not insulate yourself from the masses of troubled souls who seem compelled to make other's suffer. You must not insulate yourself from all these negative drive by reviews for fear your livelihood will go up in smoke. That is an unhealthy fear and unsustainable if you want long-lasting success. I mean sure, you can sit on a fancy yacht all by yourself in the middle of the ocean if you want, but eventually a storm is going to come and you better be prepared.

Being a successful writer and author is a lot like being on the other end of a stoning. Ask Stephen King all about that. To make matter's worse the guy got hit by a truck! And yet he still writes, he still advises, he still mentors, he still lectures, he still puts his name on books to help fledgling authors, while at the same time he gets absolutely crucified when he misspeaks on occasion. The punishment does not fit the crime! But he apologizes, moves on and continues to contribute. He is a well-rounded human being, with all the faults that come with being human, but he continues to contribute in a humanitarian way no matter the slings and arrows of misfortune, or verbal attacks.

This is an intolerant, judgmental society we live in. Please don't make it worse by allowing negativity to keep you from contributing to the beginning writer's who are grateful for the time and service that you do put in! Yes, being active on KB and other similar forums makes it easier for people to toss stones at you and your work. But I, for one, will never allow other's to dictate my actions or support a cause that I know is right.

KB is a good place to be. It is the perfect place to contribute more than just your advice on writing and publishing. There are troubled people everywhere. And yes, they are on KB's. Imo, they need our support, and not censure and condemnation, or being publicly called-out. So, how do we best support them? By contributing to this board, by not getting so easily offended, by being a good example, and by politely setting boundaries where necessary, even at the risk of a bad review.

I agree on some points, I don't on others. Authors have the right to get offended by drive-by reviews and heckling and ignorance. Because they're people first and foremost. They're all my friends. KB is more than writing and craft-building and marketing. It's a community; a helpful one. No one's getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. It's something and we have to fix it.

Offline L.M. Pfalz

• Florida
  • Write what you love. Love what you write.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Pfalz - author of the Moonridge Memories Saga
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
Is it me or do tensions always seem to run high around here at the beginning of a new year? I remember things getting nasty last year too around this time which spurred a megathread about the tone in the Writers' Cafe. I have to wonder if the new year brings about more people who are trying self-publishing, new worries/anxieties from current indies as to what will change for the worse on Amazon and in self-publishing in general, and of course more comments from those who work in traditional publishing because they have their own sets of fear and concerns for their future. I think all these things work together to create a toxic dynamic and environment.

I'm saddened to see a LOT of "us vs them" mentalities lately. It always seemed to mostly be self-pub vs trade pub (which I think is silly enough), but now I'm seeing a lot more of it within the indie community itself. Bestsellers vs midlist vs non-sellers, my sales strategy vs your sales strategy, my rank vs yours, etc. I see the word "jealousy" thrown around a lot lately, and although that may be the case for some of the low sellers (especially the vindictive ones), it's not the case for all of them (us). But being accused of it, even indirectly, well...hurts. I've never begrudged anyone's success, and in fact, have always felt like it's made me work harder to try to achieve my own. But I'm also a realist and know that getting a bestseller is akin to winning the lotto. It may happen, but more likely for most of us, it won't, no matter what we do. There's no surefire way to "make it". And sadly, I've noticed there's been some insinuation that this means the non-bestsellers have failed in some way. I know it's becoming a cliche, but we all have to make our own meaning of success. For me, selling more than I did the year before is success. For others, success might mean moving any copies at all. And still for others, success might mean making six figures or more. Success is a personal achievement and shouldn't be measured against others.

On a different subject, I think the negativity around here could also be greatly reduced by including more things under the WHOA policy. For example, complaints about reviews. Why isn't this part of whoa? Even without specifics, it's not hard to click someone's book link and see who they're referring to. These threads always end badly with hurt feelings. I've seen many an OP walk away feeling unsupported because they feel kicked while already down, and technically they haven't done anything wrong per the forum rules. Since no good ever comes of such topics, why not just disallow them? Maybe it would help authors learn how to deal with reviews in their own (private) way. Thick skin doesn't grow overnight.

Another thing that should be included in the WHOA policy are posting links to blog posts. A LOT of problems lately have been because of some random person saying random negative things about indies. I think we can have open discussions about controversial publishing issues without picking someone out as an example and publicly bashing them back. Nobody wins in these situations.

I came to this forum from a very negative, upsetting writer's forum, and I've always enjoyed this community, even if I mostly lurk here. Now, it's getting to the point where I don't even enjoy reading the posts here as a bystander. And it saddens me to see fewer and fewer familiar faces around here. The advice on this forum is invaluable, but if I have to sift through argument after argument, locked thread after locked thread to find them, then my time is better spent elsewhere. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Moonridge Memories Saga - Women's Fiction | The Virginia White Chronicles - Thriller
L.M. Pfalz | blog

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
  • Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
If anyone did bother to read this, it wasnt an attack or finger pointing or any of that. It was an honest answer of what I feel (and have heard elsewhere). I would LOVE for KB to be the type of place where what was valued before could make a come back.

I read your post. It was no bother.

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
What I won't be doing is posting in nasty threads. Writing any kind of comment on those seems to feed the monster.

In my opinion, this is the best thing we can all do to help the tone of the forum. And the next best thing is to report the very first nasty post in any thread to the moderators. You can just put in the comment, "Tone".

Please remember too that this is a public forum. Not everyone reading is one of "us". Neither is everyone posting. If someone posts something nasty to you or about you, keep quiet and report it to a moderator. Unlike most forums on the Internet, KBoards has really good moderators who will nip nastiness in the bud if we report it to them quickly before it gets out of hand.

The third best thing we can all do, again in my opinion, is stop assuming anything people post is about us. Often, it is not about us, or more specifically it is not about you. I have seen more trouble start here from people assuming a comment was about them than from any other cause, frankly.

In line with that, it is much better if we avoid making comments about people unless they ask for advice. Personal attacks are already against forum decorum rules. I see a lot of pushing these boundaries, and I do report it to the mods.

In particular, I hate it when comments start to go back and forth in a thread and progressively get nastier and nastier as these two posters have a battle of wills. It has happened in this very thread. I wish battles of wills were against the forum rules. It could go something like, "You can quote another member only once per thread to disagree with that member," just to make it easier to administer, but what I really want stopped is the combativeness, the "your argument is weak because" discussions. I think one response telling where you disagree is plenty and that comments back and forth after that are annoying at best and infuriating in most cases.

Offline Robert J. Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »
Bria + hammer = nail on the head.

Sorry to hear about what happened to Joe, Elle and whoever else might have felt marginalized. There are some really amazing people here, there are some good ones who want information to be shared, who are looking for legit help. And then there are ones who already know everything and aren't afraid to tell you about it.

*shrugs*

TwillyJune:

Listen, as someone who left Kboards because of some of the negatives, the drive-bys, the other stuff - It's not that some of us don't *want* to help. I've found other ways to connect with newer writers in more private forums, where I don't have to expose myself to people who - honestly - don't give a rat's @$$ about my opinion anyway. When the signal to noise ratio gets too loud, it gets hard to hear the important points (and there's a lot of argument around here about what's important anyway, which is something I don't have time for). When you're running a full-time writing career that your family relies on, (not Stephen King level, but mid-list indie making mid six-figures) you start to wonder why you're spending all these lucrative waking hours trying to help people when many of them seem like they don't really want to be helped by those of us who are selling moderately well. You can only bang your head against that wall for so long before you go back to writing another book.

Offline brendajcarlton

• Collegeville, PA. USA
    • View Profile
    • Brenda J. Carlton-Author
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
I just got tired of hearing about how anyone who has my political beliefs is an ignorant racist hillbilly, and not being able to defend myself because "we don't argue about politics."  Peace. Out.
Quirky tongue in cheek Sci Fi.  With Leprechauns
Josh Greenwood and his Mom and Dad are walking their neighbors to the corner when a freak accident kills one of them.  But which one?  Read all three variations.The first novel of
the parallel trilogy
FREE!!
Drug Company Mystery

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
Eye-opening stuff.  Was mostly ignoring this thread before this AM because I figured it was a case of "He's off, busy writing" - pretty much the same reason I've maybe made a handful of replies at most in the past few weeks. I hadn't really noticed all the negativity.

Regardless, this is still my favorite writing forum to learn, ask, and share.  I've always found much more good than bad here.

Making the undead fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline Jan Thompson

• USA
  • JanThompson.com/books
    • View Profile
    • JanThompson.com/books
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
Nobody wants anybody in awe. Especially the Joe Nobodys' and the Hugh Howeys. They are all around great guys, great writers, and just wanted to share their experience. They wanted to share the workings of the process, share what did, didn't work, discuss new developments in publishing, how it can help us, to see how we could all benefit. Sharing as writer to writer. However, there seemed to be an element that just can't believe that, and took the sharing as "look at me"  bragging.
But if you'd seen these people from day 1, when they had no idea how successful they would become, sharing from their hearts, you would know it wasn't intended as anything more than sharing from the heart.

Not so much "awe" as respect. BUT not just the "indie superstars" but every published author who has started new threads or responded to threads and shared their thoughts. Because they made it!! Doesn't matter if you're not a USA Today bestseller. If you're an indie writer, let's hear what you have to say. Everyone has something to contribute, whether published or unpublished. No one is a "lesser" writer than others (though some might think they are more equal than others... wait, that's Animal Farm -- but yes, some KBoarders are more caustic than others IMHO). Either way, I joined KB because I thought WC is a unique place with so many opinions about the same things!

But I do like to hear what published authors say about the industry, about publishing, about writing, etc. That is why I drove an hour each way (actually hubby drove and I navigated LOL) to hear Michael Connelly talk about his Harry Bosch writing methods, drove another 45 minutes one way to hear Brad Thor talk about how he researched his Scot Harvath novels. That sort of thing. But I don't have to drive anywhere to come to KB. It's a community here, not a one-way street.

And I also agree with the rest of what Lisa said. Want to give and take too, even among newbies. Like Russell Blake posted a few months back -- he was giving back to the KB community, but he got attacked trying to do a good deed. He spent a lot of time responding. I can't imagine how many thousands of words he wrote in response to nitpickers, thousands of words that could have been in his own WIPs. I know bc every word I type on KB is one less word I type in my WIP,  but every time I am here I get encouraged, discouraged, encouraged, encouraged. So it's positive overall if I step back and look at it all.

Here's the thing I believe writers need to have: gratitude. We all have beginnings. Some of us have come a long way. Some of us are still climbing that hill (hi there!) and getting there. Along the journey we meet people, share thoughts, stop to chat, etc. When we snipe and gripe and slap one another, we stall our own careers. So. Gratitude. Let's have an attitude of gratitude. Peace, people.

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
  • It's my book! I do what I want!
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
Bria, I read your post. :)  I'm sorry KB lost you too.  I used to make sure to go back 3 or 4 pages every day to pick up on the threads that were being ignored so I could bump them up to the top.  Sometimes that's all a good thread needs is more eyes on it.  Depending on the time you post, you could miss a big audience. It sucks when you have something good to share and no one appreciates it.

TwillyJune, I don't recognize your name or your sig line, so I don't know that you've been around during the time I have. That's why I'm not going to let your post offend me too much. But I have to say, it did get my dander up on the first reading.  It felt like you were telling me to "suck it up, buttercup, because you owe us."  Here's the thing ... I'm a human being.  A woman.  A girl.  A mom.  A wife.  A tough-as-nails attorney in another life.  But when it comes to my writing, I'm sensitive. I don't enjoy being attacked.  And as a member of society, I abhor being attacked because people have a problem with my success or my desire to help.  The more success I had selling books, the worse it became here on KB for me.

Until you've been there, as a person coming to a forum to share and help and then having people actively attack you for it or accuse you of having ulterior selfish motives, you can't possibly understand how it feels.  I put up with it for the better part of a year.  A YEAR.  But when it just gets worse and worse, no matter what positive vibes you try to put out there, there comes a point where you must cut your losses and move on - if for no other reason than for self-preservation.  I support my family with my work.  I have to put them first.

Take a look at Hugh Howey's posts.  Every single time he's posted pretty much in the last year, some dumbass has come on the thread and said something nasty.  Here's a guy traveling around the world on book tours, raking in more cash than most of us will see in our lifetimes (writing in a genre that is VERY HARD to get on the bestseller lists with, no less), and he still blogs and shares and visits KB to pat people on the back.  And all he gets is a kick in the ass for it.  Shame on those people who turned on him.  I've got news for anyone who thinks anything bad about Hugh - he hasn't changed.  He's the same generous, funny, warm, humble person he always was.  If you see something bad in him or what he does, then you need to take a closer look in the mirror and see where the real problem lies.  It's not with Hugh.

I want to give a giant virtual hug to all of you indies who've said kind things about me here on this thread and elsewhere.  And to those of you who have PMed or emailed me too.  I really appreciate your support.  Maybe someday when the tone of KB turns around (if it turns around), I'll come back and post again.  I miss talking to you all and reading your wonderful posts and funny comments.  KB can be an awesome place to hang out.

I'm not going to follow this thread anymore.  If anyone wants to contact me, feel free to PM me. Have a good weekend, y'all, and I wish you tons of sales and thousands of happy words flying from your fingertips.

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2014, 09:17:31 AM »
I would agree some reflection is in order. One thing that would be good to ask yourself (each of us) is, how many times do you ask for help versus how many times do you give it? For me personally, it has felt lately like there are a lot more on here asking, yet when I ask very few give. It makes me less likely to give, too. Yes, one should give help freely without "expecting", but I have to say it gets enlightening when you help and help and then your posts for help get mayby one or two responses.

I have made some good friends here, learned a lot here. I have also been surprised and hurt here. Just like in life. I don't come here as much anymore, simply because of lack of time, and the above. Plus, it seems if you express your opinion and people don't like it, your books become a target. I don't much care for being punished when I say something that doesn't agree with how another sees it, so I just post less.

Oh, and I agree that new people need to be able to post freely, asking the same questions over and over. As someone else said, that's how we learn. Besides, no one is forcing you to answer every time. It'd be nice if more did help them but we all have time limits, too. So, be nice and help when you can! And don't remind those of us that aren't big sellers that we don't sell that much, so what do we know. Some of us write in genres that are extremely hard to break out in. That doesn't mean we don't know what has to be done to chase success if we've been here awhile. It just means we're still waiting for it. And, no matter how good the books are, some won't ever find it. If you want a sure thing, this isn't it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:23:04 AM by Caddy »
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »
I would agree some reflection is in order. One thing that would be good to ask yourself (each of us) is, how many times do you ask for help versus how many times do you give it?

I know I'm guilty of this, although I don't ask for help all that often... I usually figure that someone else will eventually ask what I want to know.

I don't respond to many questions, though, just because I don't feel qualified yet. I have two books and four short stories out. Everyone else here seems so much better qualified to pitch in than I am that I stand aside and let more experienced voices answer.

I love to help people, though, so I'll try and do a better job of pitching in wherever I can.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline Susanne.

• Europe
    • View Profile
    • Susanne
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
I feel something similar.

I love KB because of all the help I get here. There is always someone to reply to a question and always people to cheer you on when there's good news. But it has always felt rather big and intimidating. Some people get away with being mean and others get slapped for a lot less which has confused me at times. And now it's getting a little chilly...

Although I will always come here and check on threads and ask for advice, I'll retreat to my own little forum for friendly chat and non-judgmental friendship. The pub is growing but it still has a very intimate friendly feel. I hope it will stay that way.

KB is amazing and it's a miracle (and thanks to the mods) that it has kept a civil tone and correct behavior for such a long time.

Susanne O'Leary | website | blog | facebook | writer's forum

Offline LBrent

• NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
THAT was Joe Biden?! Geesh... What he do, find the secret to age reversal? He doesn't look like an angry old man anymore  :o

That's the picture I had in my mind for the main guy as I read Shift. Lol

Online Becca Mills

• U.S.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
Some posts on this thread seem to suggest that big sellers and experienced writers are only here because they want to help, to give. Is that really true? I mean, sure, the ethos of giving back is real, and essential, and I can see it at work in many people, here. But don't big sellers and experienced writers also get something from KB? Being a writer can be sort of lonely, you know? For example, just speaking for myself, here -- I have friends, a great spouse, two great kids, a good job ... but the writing part of my life, that's something I do alone. No one I know IRL quite understands why I do it. Some of them think it's cool that I do it, but it's still on the mystifying end of the spectrum. But here, people understand. Across genres, different levels of success, different levels of experience and ability, we share this strange activity and the drive to keep doing it. And, riding atop that, we share the experience of doing it the indie way. Being able to connect with others who understand -- that seems valuable to me. If being here feels like all giving and no getting, you shouldn't stay. No one should have to just give and give and never get anything in return. Maybe you put in a year or two and then move on, knowing you've significantly helped others, taken your turn at the wheel, so to speak. But I hope there are enough big sellers and experienced writers who feel they're getting enough from KB to stick it out. Otherwise it'll just be some sort of indie farm system where people do their time answering questions and giving advice and then clear out. That would be a huge loss. I think so, anyway.

Offline L.M. Pfalz

• Florida
  • Write what you love. Love what you write.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Pfalz - author of the Moonridge Memories Saga
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
It's a shame Amazon doesn't make it mandatory for the customer to be a "verified purchaser" in order to review. Sure, some very determined vindictive people might still one-star you, but at least you'd get a sale and a rank boosting in the process :P

I think having to buy something just to diss the author would deter most people though, which would be for the best.
Moonridge Memories Saga - Women's Fiction | The Virginia White Chronicles - Thriller
L.M. Pfalz | blog

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »

the writing part of my life, that's something I do alone. No one I know IRL quite understands why I do it. Some of them think it's cool that I do it, but it's still on the mystifying end of the spectrum. But here, people understand.

Becca, this is a big part of the reason I come here. I'm not one of the star of the board, for sure, but no one in my RL (even my supportive spouse) understood why I was pumped when I had a great free run the first time, or got accepted for a Bookbub ad or an ENT BOTD slot. Most everyone here gets why that's cool and is very supportive of milestones large and small. To me, that's one of the really nice things about WC.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook