Author Topic: Page Numbering System...  (Read 2704 times)  

Offline fred3

• View Profile
Page Numbering System...
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »
I tried doing a search for a definitive corollation between the kindle page numbering system and the actual page you're on but had no luck.

Can anyone spell out how the numbering system at the bottom of each page (eg: 1005-1010) relates to the page you're reading?  Since it changes with the font size then the numbers would seem to relate to the total information on each page...yes?

I am not trying to figure out how the numbers relate to where you are in a book, but just what/how they relate to that page.  They don't refer to paragraphs.  They don't refer to number of words on a page (obvious). They don't refer to number of lines on a page, number of sentences or seemingly any other relation to the words on the page. Is it possible they are numbers assigned by the scanning process used to capture those pages?

Really curious.  ???

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Page Numbering System...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »
I think the location numbers were chosen because of the changeable font size.  In a paper book, of course, there's only one size font so, based on that size, the book is X pages.  If you buy the large print size it'll have Y pages.  On the kindle, you get both (and 4 sizes of print in between) so pages doesn't make much sense.  The location numbers refer to some specific place in the book.  The beginning of chapter 1 will always be at location xxx no matter what font size you're using.  Drawback is you can't refer it to a place in the physical book, but since there are can be many editions of the physical book:  hardback, paperback, large print, trade paperback, library edition. . .all potentially having slightly different page numbers, I don't see it as a big issue.

Since  newspapers (at least the Washington Post) give a number of words per article, I have worked out that, on font size 1, each page flip is about 250 words -- give or take.  I haven't gone the next step and correlated that to location numbers though.

Ann

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »
The explanation that I have seen quoted the most is that the location numbers reflect the data in the file in 128-byte chunks. I.e., location 100 would be 12800 bytes into the file.

I just went and did some calculations on page filled with text, and the 128-byte theory seems pretty darned close to what I'm seeing.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »
I figured it was something like that. . .makes a lot of sense since it's basically a computer which generally would like powers of 2.

Ann

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »
Well, I wish they could figure out a way to relate the numbers to the page number of whatever edition you downloaded. I like to know what
kind of progress I am making. As I stated in another thread, while in a B&N, I checked the book version of what I am reading to see how far along I was! I do like the dots at the bottom and that gives me some idea, now that I know where I am.

Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
You know there's a row of dots at the bottom of the page, right?  That will show you proportionally how far you are.  Also, you can scroll to that line of the display and click on it.  It'll show the dots with the numbers 1 thru 10 so you can get a bit more concrete idea of how far you are.  Just press the BACK button to go back to where you were reading.  Before you play with it too much, though, I'd suggest putting a bookmark with the dogear where you left off.  I just accidentally moved the embedded bookmark to the end of the book.  Fortunately, I knew where I was and could get back pretty quick.  There's more detail in the users guide (or Leslie's book, I'm sure (no I haven't bought it, didn't see the need, but now that we're practically related I may just have to!  :)) )about ways you can use it.

Ann

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »
Yes, I actually mentioned the dots, in the my other post, sorry if I was not clear. I will check out that tip, though. Also, I
do see the need for the book mark. I have pushed "something" a few times and gotten lost and have had to go and find my way back!

Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »
Alt-B is the shortcut to set a bookmark, BTW.

Good advice from my cousin Ann! LOL  ;)

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »
Alt-B is the shortcut to set a bookmark, BTW.

And Alt-B will clear the current bookmark. I just learned this yersterday.

Being somewhat OCD when it comes to formatting, I bookmark all the formatting and spelling mistakes in my non-DRM books and go in and correct them myself. I reread books a lot, and I just don't want to be subjected to the same thing several years down the road when I read a book again.

I'm retired. I have a lot of spare time.  ;D
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.