Author Topic: Promotions: A concentrated blast, or spread them out?  (Read 481 times)  

Offline Dave Renol

• NC
    • View Profile
Promotions: A concentrated blast, or spread them out?
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
Howdy,

I was wondering what everyone's experiences have been about how they handle their advertising dollars. I've seen some people try to hit all the big sites on the same day (or nearly) and others who spread it out so they hit one good one per month. What's worked for you in the past, and what would you do different in the future? Also, how would you rank the best sites?

I think I would have to say:

1 - Bookbub
2 - ENT
3 - POI (Good luck trying to schedule something, though)
4 - Bookblast (when used with KFD)
5 - Freebooksy
6 - FKBT
7 - Book Basset
8 - Book Gorilla

I probably missed a few, and genre also will make a difference, but what do y'all think?

Offline Greg Strandberg

• Missoula, Montana
  • Ask About Free Editing
    • View Profile
    • BigSkyWords
Re: Promotions: A concentrated blast, or spread them out?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »
I see some books advertised on BookBub and something like BookBlast on the same day.  Personally, I don't like this because I want to know which sales came from where.

In the past I've done BookBlast one day, KFD the next, and Freebooksy another day - all in the same week.  It gave me a pretty good boost that lasted for months.  That was in November and I didn't do a paid promo on that book again until last week.

BookBub won't take me so that's just not an option I even consider anymore.

If you do want a lot on one day I'd suggest a blog tour, which can get you 10 to 12 blog posts on one day.  I also think you have a better chance of getting reviews that way than with a regular promo.  Still, some of those can be iffy and you might not see the boost you want.

Offline Dave Renol

• NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
Thanks, Greg.
I'm guessing you're in the blast category, despite your keeping promos on separate days? I like the idea of scheduling ads on different days to try and figure out which ones work best, but I'm not sure a day or two is really effective for that. I think we'd need at least a week between them in order to eliminate the people who downloaded late from one of the earlier promos.

Thanks for the input. :)

Dave

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:50:28 PM »
I do all my ads around a price promotion. What works for me is to do promos at 6-week intervals, and to schedule ads to run on different days of the promo.

Yes, it's hard to tell what's "spill-over" from the previous day's ad, but that's OK. I just figure I'll throw all my marketing dollars on that 5 days or whatever, and go for it, using the sites other people seem to have had good luck with.

I don't do ads around new releases. instead, I promo an earlier book in the series once the new book has some reviews. That's worked great.

Your alternative scenario sounds good, but I think what you'd miss out on would be momentum. The very thing that makes it harder to measure the effectiveness of any one ad is what could drive your sales as a whole--the synergy you get from a bunch of different ads around the same promotion (or whatever). Yes, some people will see the book promo'd in several spots, if they subscribe to multiple lists, but that's a time-honored marketing truism--that you have to show people an ad more than once to get them to act. So that's all good.

My 2 cents.

Offline Dave Renol

• NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
I guess in a perfect world, we'd get an ad putting us in the number one slot, with follow-up promos keeping us there until the ad 'cool down' from the sites reset. With the cool down on bookbub being six months, it would be a little hard to do, but by creative advertising of other books in a series and bundles, someone with a big enough backlist might be able to come close. That ain't me, though. :)

I think I'll try limited blasts, spaced out to try and keep me from sinking too low in the rankings.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac