Author Topic: NetGalley for Indie Authors - One Year Later  (Read 1651 times)  

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• Susan Kaye Quinn, speculative fiction author
    • View Profile
    • Susan Kaye Quinn, Author
NetGalley for Indie Authors - One Year Later
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »
Hey all! I'm re-upping for another year on NetGalley, and I'm looking for authors who want in on a NetGalley co-op.

THE SHORT VERSION: NetGalley connects books and reviewers. Authors put up their title, reviewers request to review, authors approve who gets to review. The great part: reviewers come to you, not the other way around. The bad part: cost ($270/year per author) and potentially bad reviews.

THE LONG VERSION: I wrote an extensive post last year as I was starting my co-op (http://www.susankayequinn.com/2013/05/netgalley-for-indie-authors.html). A year later, many of my authors are not re-upping because they felt the reviews were overly harsh, or the didn't get the reviews they expected. Looking at the actual review numbers and relating my own experience, I still think NetGalley is a great opportunity for indie authors, but it's not for everyone. I've written up the results (http://www.susankayequinn.com/2014/02/netgalley-for-indie-authors-part-deux.html), but here's the profile of the kind of author I think benefits from NetGalley:

Here's the profile of someone who will do well on NetGalley:
1) Author has a backlist of titles and plans to publish more works in the next year - at least 4 titles overall to upload to NetGalley (backlist + future works), but more is better.
2) Author's books generally review well, but when s/he gets a harsh review, they can tolerate it without having it destroy their day.
3) Author's genre is not one of the least-effective ones on NetGalley (Non-Fiction, Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Adult Fantasy/SF). Middle Grade is a special case (see post above).
4) Author is willing to invest funds ($270 for one year) in gaining reviews/exposure without the expectation that sales will automatically follow.

The original cost of the co-op was $300/year, but since I don't have to pay the set-up fee again, the cost is lower this year ($270/year).

ARE YOU INTERESTED? If so, please reply here (or better yet, email me susankayequinn at comcast dot net).

Details:
WHAT: 20 author NetGalley Co-op
WHO: Coordinated by Susan Kaye Quinn
WHAT DO I GET: Access to one title-slot in NetGalley for one year - unlimited titles may be swapped in and out, but only one title at a time
HOW MUCH: $270/year per title-slot
WHEN: I need commitments by February 23rd, because I have to give 60 days notice if I'm going to terminate the group. Actual NetGalley membership will start April 23rd.

QUESTIONS? Leave them below!
Susan Kaye Quinn, SF author www.susankayequinn.com
See the live-action trailer for the Mindjack Trilogy, my future-noir Debt Collector serial trailer, and the trailer for my MG fantasy novel Faery Swap.

Offline MorganKegan

• View Profile
Re: NetGalley for Indie Authors - One Year Later
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
Susan, based on your own experience, how do you think the book in my sig would fare on NetGalley?
Dragon Unveiled (first edit): 75%

Dragon Unchained (detailed plotting): 25%

Dragon Undefeated (first draft): 0%

Dragon Ascendant (first draft): 0%
Young adult contemporary fantasy featuring extraordinary teens in today's world.
Morgan Kegan | Twitter

Offline wolfrom

• View Profile
    • Wolfrom Writes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
Susan,

I noticed you didn't find Non-YA Science Fiction particularly effective, but I'm wondering if you'd consider an author who has a mix of Adult and YA/New Adult Spec Fic.

Offline Deke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »
I don't quite understand this. What is your co-op? Are many people splitting the $270 fee? Where are the NetGalley reviews posted? Is the site a means to get more reviews on Kindle?

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
Susan, based on your own experience, how do you think the book in my sig would fare on NetGalley?
YA SF&F does pretty well - YA in general does well. My own books are YA/NA (and now MG, which is different) and I've had a positive experience (and obviously reenlisting!). Take a look at the posts and see the numbers to judge for yourself.
See the live-action trailer for the Mindjack Trilogy, my future-noir Debt Collector serial trailer, and the trailer for my MG fantasy novel Faery Swap.

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »
Susan,
I noticed you didn't find Non-YA Science Fiction particularly effective, but I'm wondering if you'd consider an author who has a mix of Adult and YA/New Adult Spec Fic.
YA/NA Spec fic does better, just because YA/NA do better overall. Keep in mind that the numbers of authors here is small, so not all genres were super-well represented. My future-noir didn't do as well the first time, when I posted it as "adult" but when I recently reposted the full season as "new adult" it's doing better (it is new adult, I just didn't post it that way before). A lot of this  is the same genre-influence that you see in the market.

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
I don't quite understand this. What is your co-op? Are many people splitting the $270 fee? Where are the NetGalley reviews posted? Is the site a means to get more reviews on Kindle?
All the details are in the posts, but here's the short answer:

What is your co-op?
20 authors sharing a NetGalley account so we have access to NetGalley's services

Are many people splitting the $270 fee?
Each author pays $270 for one full year. The reason to do the co-op is that it's cheaper, and more flexible, than NetGalley's "single author" option, which I believe is $350.

Where are the NetGalley reviews posted?
Reviewers post where they like - on NetGalley, but also blogs, GR, Amazon, etc.

Is the site a means to get more reviews on Kindle?
It's not specific to kindle, and many of the reviewers do not always post on Amazon. But you will get some reviews there.

Offline EmilyG

• View Profile
    • A Pledge of Silence
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
My mom and I were in Susan's co-op and and it was a good marketing experiment. We are not returning since my mom only has one book and I think we got all out of NetGalley we could.

A Pledge of Silence is historical fiction. It had much fewer downloads than the YA/NA genres but it seems the HF readers are more discriminating in requesting books. I think there are some readers who view NetGalley as a free source for books and NetGalley rates readers by their approval/review ratio (amongst other criteria). So you can get the same kind of reviews from those readers who request every new YA/NA as you do from a free BookBub/Select run.

On to the numbers! 

06/01/13 - 02/01/14

1st day downloads -- 23
1st month downloads -- 53
Total downloads -- 87

17 reviews -- all positive. Her review rate was 20%.

The reviews are spread out pretty evenly from people who downloaded the first month and people after. She received 8 reviews the first 2 months. Some reviews are 6+ months after their download.

My mom had a couple of author interviews on blogs as a result of some reviews.

You definitely get the most out of NetGalley with multiple titles. Most people tend to request from the New Release list and once you fall off that, the requests slow way down.

All in all, it was a positive experience and if we had more books or another book, we would do it again.

A Pledge of Silence is a historical novel based on the experiences of the nurses
who valiantly served in the Philippines during World War II and became the first
U.S. military women to be taken prisoners-of-war by a foreign enemy.

apledgeofsilence.com

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »
My mom and I were in Susan's co-op and and it was a good marketing experiment. We are not returning since my mom only has one book and I think we got all out of NetGalley we could.

All in all, it was a positive experience and if we had more books or another book, we would do it again.

Thanks for all the info! And yes, I should have noted that reviews keep trickling in for a long time afterward! I hope to see you back when you have more books!

Offline Deke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »
Thanks for the info. And for the idea that this would work for a MG novel. I'll do some more research and see if this is system is a better way of spreading the word/reviews than just reaching out to bloggers and writers on my own.

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
Thanks for the info. And for the idea that this would work for a MG novel. I'll do some more research and see if this is system is a better way of spreading the word/reviews than just reaching out to bloggers and writers on my own.
I'm also doing an MG week on my blog starting 2/17, where we'll be talking about books, but also indie MG marketing - you might want to check it out. :)

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
FYI slots are filling up fast, so it's first come, first served...